CONTEST: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn? - Page 11

View Poll Results: Which was more annoying?

Voters
243. You may not vote on this poll
  • No need to worry!

39 16.05%
  • You're such a kid!

138 56.79%
  • Both were equally annoying

38 15.64%
  • Neither

33 13.58%
  • I can think of an even more annoying catchphrase

39 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Who had the more annoying catchphrase; Iris or Dawn?

Quote Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
    Hm. at times like this, I'm glad I don't bother with the dub. I don't know what Dawn even sounds like...nor do I know what dub Iris sounds like. For the original, I don't find either catchphrase annoying as I've never even thought twice about them, and find Iris' "Kodomo ne" amusing and funny because of how ironic it is that she says it when she's a kid herself. I've always liked ironic humor.
    Iris' Japanese VA annoys me just as much
    Last edited by Phoenixphlare; 3rd August 2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Duque likes this.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't see why Iris' is considered annoying when it's the truth. This is not DP Ash, he does act like a kid again.

Dawn's catch phrase seemed like one of those many attempts to try to differentiate Dawn from May. Except after a while it became pointless because it was just one of those gimmicks associated with the character.

I don't find either of them annoying, but Iris' isn't uncalled for.
    Insanish Danish likes this.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It may be technically true, but considering this series is in continuity with those of the past, Ash's behavior in general for BW is highly inconsistent with how he behaved not so long ago pre-BW. This is where I fault the writing rather than Ash himself for some of his actions; there's just no logical signs of progression from his DP persona even though there ought to be. I feel like the writing staff is purposely making Ash more incompetent than he should be just so Iris can have more "excuses" to call him a kid. Because honestly, if BW Ash was just the same as DP Ash, I believe Iris would be hard-pressed to use her catchphrase on him. That's excluding his cluelessness to Unova as a foreigner, of course, which he would have even with his DP personality consistent because much of his behavior in the beginning is akin to how foreigners actually act when they're on vacation (which Ash initially was). But of course, calling Ash a kid because he's a foreigner who doesn't know about a far-off region is still uncalled for no matter how you look at it, because then Iris is coming off as culturally insensitive... sort of a mild version of Trip, in a way.

Anyway, Iris' catchphrase can be harder for some of us to stomach since we know just how awesome Ash can be at times (opposed to the original series where we saw only what the other characters were seeing, plus Ash's actions from the beginning pretty much justified Misty having a bad start with him and scolding him for later antics), but BW rarely allows the opportunity for Ash to show just how experienced he really is. Again, I fault the writers there. Their motivation to make the series some bizarro modern version of Kanto plus being different for the sake of being different really screws Ash over in many ways, so I'm not cool with the writers tooling around with the formula to make Ash more of an idiot than he ought to be just so Iris can have an "excuse" to tease him.

And like I said before, previous girls' catchphrases had a point; they existed to represent the essence of their personalities. Iris' catchphrase only goes as deep as displaying irony in that she's just as immature - and more so than, imo - as Ash. But her actions beyond her catchphrase already illustrate that irony, so there's really no need for the "you're such a kid!" that she still tends to use at inappropriate times.

But "no need to worry!" was a core aspect of Dawn's characterization from the very beginning; I doubt her development without the catchphrase would have as much meaning to it. I see no such potential from Iris' catchphrase. For some people, it displays how funny and cute and witty she is with her teasing. For people like me, it displays how ignorant, hypocritical, unfunny, and overly critical she is.

Therein lies the problem: the catchphrase portrays Iris in a way that can be interpreted in vastly different ways. With Dawn's catchphrase, the interpretation of her character was more or less unanimous, I believe.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

Now hold on a second! WHO's to say that Iris's catch phrase does not have any point in the show. It is essentially a part of her character and a very small part at that. By showing that she sees herself as a big shot is very justified because when it comes 99 straight win streak that she had you can not deny that Iris practically WAS a big shot. Back then she had a good relation ship with her Pokemon and had never experienced a loss. The point it has to her character development is that this is the completely justifiable reason she thinks she knows better than the average kid.

When the Don battle tournament she is using it on others which really shows how childish she is outside of what she thinks. But even then the phrase is nothing more that childish teasing the only one who takes it seriously is Langley who is her rival. It is early so we can not be sure but I expect this to change later on in the series.

So yeah , if feel the need to look deeper than you have to the phrase does have significance. And for those of you just taking it by face value it is nothing more than teasing.

Really it seems what you most of you actually find annoying is Iris herself not the catchphrase. While that is all right if you just in general hate her or dislike her in this thread most of your complaints just simply do not exist in-show. No seriously some you are either confusing fan interpretations of Iris for canon or just reading too deep into every little think she does. :l

It is one thing to hate a catchphrase and state that but to put the blame on the character is strange enough in context O.o) very childish of you.

I do not find any catchphrases annoying. (well "Pathetic" almost became a first but still it has an unintentional humor value for me XP) ANY catchphrase will get a bit grating at some point but that is a given.
    Last edited by Olivia Eon; 16th August 2011 at 09:53 AM.

Blog Entries

This thread isn't to debate the point of one of the character's catchphrases. It's to post your opinion on which one is more annoying and why. Kindly remain on topic, everyone.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I prefer Dawn's phrase over Iris's any day as I get to add more lines to it for the lulz (Ex. Release the Bogus, I'm gonna rule Pop Star, etc). Besides, Iris's phrase spells hypocrisy all over.

Noble shine! Likeitornot.'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Is Iris's a catchphrase? I consider it a cliched taunt.

I've heard worse. Both are tolerable.
    "I shall have some peace there for peace comes
    dropping slow."
    - Lake Isle of Innisfree, W.B Yeats.

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

I find Iris's catchphrase/taunt more annoying, because a kid going "You're such a kid" sounds like they're trying to appear more grown-up than they actually are. It fits in with her character (or at least my understanding of her character, based off of the first 26 episodes), but basing it on catchphrases alone it's way more annoying.

Not that that is saying much coming from me, as I didn't find Dawn's annoying at all.

Both are enough to make one cram a hammer in one's head. When ever Dawn said her catch phase it didn't always seem like the appriopriate time to say that when all you did was worry. And there is no need for Iris to always say hers when no one else really gave a damn. If you don't like the folks you're with, get yo crap and go.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

At least No Need to Worry is uplifting and cheerful - a positive catchphrase. You're such a kid sounds like a letdown.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

I prefer "No Need to Worry" over "You're such a kid". At least Dawn isn't TRYING to be contradictory with her catchphrase, plus, the comeback to that is, and always will be, hilarious. Iris's annoys me because she is the very thing she is putting down.

"No need to worry!"
    "When you say there is no need to worry, that's when I worry the most!"

XD

"You guys are so childish/such a a kid. *exasperated sigh*"

Well guess what? SO ARE YOU! *rageface and shakefist*

/endrant

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Nobody likes being called a kid XDD

Quote Originally Posted by Catilena1890 View Post
    I prefer "No Need to Worry" over "You're such a kid". At least Dawn isn't TRYING to be contradictory with her catchphrase, plus, the comeback to that is, and always will be, hilarious. Iris's annoys me because she is the very thing she is putting down.
    Yes, this exactly. While it's not exactly hypocritical per se, she is calling Ash a "kid" when she herself seems to be even younger than Ash (her exact age I don't know, unless it was announced somewhere and I missed it).

I despise Iris above all else...

Tracey's #1 fangirl Kenji-girl's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Editorial Board

Follow Kenji-girl on Tumblr

The fact that you have a catch phrase that has to involve belittling someone, yeah, definitely Iris. Especially when she's just as much of a kid, if not more, than Ash is. Never found "No need to worry" to be annoying.
    Shinneth and Silverwynde like this.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Dawn just plain annoys me, and then she and Iris both started doing that "Your such a kid," causing it to annoy me. I'll go with equal for this one

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast