CONTEST: Who do you think is the better coordinator out of Ash's female companions? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which coordinator do you think is better?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dawn

35 79.55%
  • May

9 20.45%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Who do you think is the better coordinator out of Ash's female companions?

Find me on Serebii Forums Ash Ketchum!'s Avatar

Default Re: Who do you think is the better coordinator out of Ash's female companions?

May. She had a better journey and growth. And she's kinda hot....you know... for a bunch of pixels.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Who do you think is the better coordinator out of Ash's female companions?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum! View Post
    May. She had a better journey and growth. And she's kinda hot....you know... for a bunch of pixels.
    Ash has spoken! I happen to agree with him here. May is awesome. :)

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Personally, I like May more since she had a more fun personality and her rivals were generally more interesting, but Dawn would be a better Coordinator. She had solid development throughout her journey that showed how she was progressed as her Coordinator skills and she was more innovative with her combinations. I wouldn't take Dawn getting to the finals as an example of being a better Coordinator since we only saw one full match she had before getting to the finals. Dawn getting to the finals isn't unrealistic since she had the skills to get there, but we didn't really see a lot of it prior to the finals, especially when her victory against Ursula was unsatisfying and her battle against Jessie was a bunch of clips. Still, I think the journey she went through showed that she does have better skills as a Coordinator. Though, I think that Dawn really benefits from the writers' experiences with Contests through May since by the time DP started, they had a better idea of how they worked. May is still a really good Coordinator and it showed during her return for the Wallace Cup, but I think that I'll have to go with Dawn on this one.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

May is far better dawn is a boring copy built on mays previous success imo.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Based purely on what they've done as Coordinators (cutting out rivals out of the equation and whatnot), Dawn is better. She had much more innovative Contest moves where we clearly saw how she was inspired - not to mention Ash's Ice Aqua Jet was courtesy of Dawn as well. May's appeals weren't terrible, but getting by with Skitty's Assist was much less impressive.

However, I feel if Dawn was in AG and May was in DP, we'd mostly be saying May was the better Coordinator with all her creative combos and whatnot, since AG's take on Contests (first take, no less) is much more simplistic and sketchy than DP's Contests. Even though May won a lot of Contests via KO rather than points, I like how at the end of AG she acknowledged that - that she was feeling she was emulating Ash too much and her whole reason for separating from him was to develop herself as an individual better. And when May cameoed in DP, her appeals and battles, I felt, were definitely up on Dawn and Zoey's level. May just came from an era of the anime where the Contests were struggling to find their identity separate from the typical battles. Hence, May's Coordinator skills look much less polished than Dawn's and the battles were pretty damn questionable.

But I will give Dawn credit, that her innovative ideas aren't just the product of DP having a more improved handle on the Contests - she knew she wanted to be a Coordinator before she became a trainer, her mom's a Top Coordinator, and as evidenced in May's return in DP, Dawn obviously watched a lot of Contests before she set off on her journey. With a background like that, it makes sense that Dawn's appeals and battling style would be more distinctive than May's, as May had no idea what she wanted for herself other than traveling when she started out, only learned that Contests were a thing when she passed by a Contest Hall one day. So May lacked Dawn's inherent passion for Contests and had to learn how to think and battle like a Coordinator; Dawn's main drawback at her beginning was her overconfidence and overabundance of enthusiasm that impeded her progress (hence why she took it particularly hard when she lost two Contests in a row without ever making it to the battle rounds). Dawn was always coming up with new and interesting techniques, though.

If AG's Contests were more like DP's, I think it would be harder for me to determine who's the superior Coordinator. But Dawn not only had the benefit of being in a refined Contest era - she also had the Coordinator's spirit coming right out of the gate. So with all that said, I think Dawn is the better Coordinator in the end. I just kinda wish May had the benefits of DP to better display her own skills.

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The difference is between the way appeals and contest moves were handled in the two series. It wasn't just May's appeals that didn't seem as impressive as the DP ones, it was virtually every coordinator in AG. Its obviously because the contests were just starting in the series at the time and the appeal round was given minimal focus and just consisted of something simple. The appeals started improving during Battle Frontier.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Mew View Post
    Personally, I like May more since she had a more fun personality and her rivals were generally more interesting, but Dawn would be a better Coordinator. She had solid development throughout her journey that showed how she was progressed as her Coordinator skills and she was more innovative with her combinations. I wouldn't take Dawn getting to the finals as an example of being a better Coordinator since we only saw one full match she had before getting to the finals. Dawn getting to the finals isn't unrealistic since she had the skills to get there, but we didn't really see a lot of it prior to the finals, especially when her victory against Ursula was unsatisfying and her battle against Jessie was a bunch of clips. Still, I think the journey she went through showed that she does have better skills as a Coordinator. Though, I think that Dawn really benefits from the writers' experiences with Contests through May since by the time DP started, they had a better idea of how they worked. May is still a really good Coordinator and it showed during her return for the Wallace Cup, but I think that I'll have to go with Dawn on this one.
    I have to admit this is true.

May = More enjoyable, fun character (IMO, of course).
    Dawn = Better coordinator (I mean, she did get Top 2 in the Grand Festival).

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty
    The difference is between the way appeals and contest moves were handled in the two series. It wasn't just May's appeals that didn't seem as impressive as the DP ones, it was virtually every coordinator in AG. Its obviously because the contests were just starting in the series at the time and the appeal round was given minimal focus and just consisted of something simple. The appeals started improving during Battle Frontier.
    That's true. I think that there were a couple of Contests in AG where they skipped through the appeal round and wanted to focus primarily on the battles, which kind of made it harder to separate it from a Gym battle in a sense. I actually kind of liked using props for the appeals, but the appeals got better once there was more of a focus on the attacks and making combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    I have to admit this is true.

May = More enjoyable, fun character (IMO, of course).
    Dawn = Better coordinator (I mean, she did get Top 2 in the Grand Festival).
    Dawn is a better Coordinator, but not because she got into the finals of the Sinnoh Grand Festivals. It was because of the development of her skills throughout DP and because of how innovative she was with her appeals. Getting into the finals actually didn't impress me much when we only saw one full battle she had and honestly, I thought that Ursula looked more skilled in that match, despite losing, and Dawn's victory was kind of cheap. Skipping the other matches and giving her match against Jessie nothing but a few clips didn't help either. She had the skills to make getting to the finals believable and all, but I just wouldn't really use it as an example in this case because of how little we saw of her skills during the Grand Festival and by the time she got to the finals, Zoey's combinations were putting most of Dawn's combinations to shame.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post

Dawn is a better Coordinator, but not because she got into the finals of the Sinnoh Grand Festivals. It was because of the development of her skills throughout DP and because of how innovative she was with her appeals. Getting into the finals actually didn't impress me much when we only saw one full battle she had and honestly, I thought that Ursula looked more skilled in that match, despite losing, and Dawn's victory was kind of cheap. Skipping the other matches and giving her match against Jessie nothing but a few clips didn't help either. She had the skills to make getting to the finals believable and all, but I just wouldn't really use it as an example in this case because of how little we saw of her skills during the Grand Festival and by the time she got to the finals, Zoey's combinations were putting most of Dawn's combinations to shame.
    Yeah, I do agree that's not the main reason. I mean, Dawn was very inventive with her strategies. Like the fire-and-ice combination she pulled off and several other appeals. I give DP a hard time for a lot of things, but if there's one thing I loved from it, it would be the Super Contests. They were excellent and well-pulled off.

Blog Entries

I'd have to go with Dawn. I writers gave May more of a struggle because they were trying to get the audience used to contests and not just her character, by the time Dawn was introduced they just went for it and she had a more together approach to them. I do think May's contests were infinitely more entertaining on the whole, though..but that's not the point. Dawn wins this round.

Definitely Dawn on this one. Dawn's victory over May proof this one(Her glaceon is fully evolve and is 2nd powerhouse in May's team).

Throughout the DP series, Dawn is showing more devoted, promising, and more determined to her goal than may(even her two losses in the appealing round didn't stop her from giving up and that's kinda embarassing to lose at appealing around tho). She is really creative, inventive in coming up various combination moves like counter shield, ice aqua jet, flame ice(I prefer to call frozen-flame), improvise/manipulate moves like make piplup's beak grow longer, spin dodge, form a large bubble by using bubble beam to knock out all three onix at a time, eating ice shard-->ice armor, etc. She battle more like ash in coming up bizarre strategy to counter foe's attack(e.g. like ursula's encore, counter delicatty's shock wave with countershield). However, her appealing is not that much better than may's except more flashy, probably because the idea of contest in Hoenn is less develop than Sinnoh.

May got a bit of lucky with assist and metronome and she somehow able to pass the appealing around(sometimes final round in against Timmy's dusclop) with that. Her victory just way to smooth and lack of emotional struggle compare to dawn. May might fail the appealing round in her 1st grand fest if she got unlucky(she just way to rely on luck).

About Dawn's grand fest, I was kinda piss that she didn't have the chance to fight Nando(instead of Jessie, well she's a joke) to proof she's really the top 2. She almost beat zoey and only lost like half of a point compare to nando who lost like 1-3 point to Zoey. But even with that claim, still doesn't proof very much to which is actually better. If the writer wants dawn to fight zoey(that's their destiny and make dawn lose at the final), she will probably beat nando too just like ash beat nando(nando's not the main rival, zoey is).
    Last edited by death trapper; 18th June 2013 at 07:58 PM.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Character I Like More = May
    Better Coordinator = Dawn

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Dawn (early DP and BW2 cameo)

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Dawn (early DP and BW2 cameo)
    Funny enough, those were both the parts of the anime when I enjoyed the character's personality. XD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12