CONTEST: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, etc. - Page 4

View Poll Results: Strongest battler?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dawn

25 17.73%
  • May

43 30.50%
  • Brock

15 10.64%
  • Misty

23 16.31%
  • Iris

19 13.48%
  • Cilan

14 9.93%
  • Tracey

2 1.42%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, etc.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, e

Cilan's recent battle with Trip shows that he's very experienced. Its a shame he has so few pokemon, I feel like we don't really know the true extent of his strength. I am not sure how to compare him with Brock, because they're probably around the same age and thus as experienced as each other. Brock has tons more pokemon of course, but that doesn't really matter if they only have a 3 on 3.

MEGA F'ING AMPHAROS!!! Ampharos King's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, e

I wrote a rather large analysis of this scenario, and placed a lot of effort in evaluating each trainer's strengths and weaknesses relative to the strengths and weaknesses of their contemporaries. It factors in each trainer's personalities and experiences if they are forced into a battle, as well as the types of pokemon each trainer has in their arsenal. When I was comparing May and Dawn (the two coordinators), I also factored in the results of their previous (on-screen) battle as well as their achievements in contests overall.

It's not a perfect construct of this discussion because we can assume that "anything goes" in this tournament. Certain types of pokemon have a larger advantage over others, and vice-versa.

Blog Entries

Now that the tournament is over, it really does feel as if Iris is much stronger now, although its hard to pinpoint where exactly.

Excadrill is a powerhouse, probably right up there with some of Ash's stronger pokemon. Iris is also a far better battler than Misty at this point (compare any of Iris' recent battles in the tournament to any of Misty's Kanto battles, there is no comparison), but I don't know where she stands as a whole.

Although sadly being "too good" is a problem too, because it makes Iris seem Mary Sue-ish. That's why I don't want to place her too high, it actually is a negative.

Blog Entries

This is a tough call for me. I've never been one to put the coordinators on the same level as Ash, but they would still be tough to deal with since their moves have to be more creative. Although note that Ash learned from them and now uses some of those tactics himself. Brock has never seemed like he would truly fare well against Ash, at least not since his original defeat. (if you can call it that) The only time I remember Misty getting the better of Ash was in her own element, which makes sense, she clearly has more experience than him in that arena. A normal battle? Not so much. Iris has overcome the electric rodent himself, which is no small feat no matter what pokemon was used to do it. (Yes, I know Misty did this, too, but that was using tactics a lot more unfair than type alignments) Does this mean I favor Iris? Strangely, no, although she's the strongest companion that's been on the show in ages. The other may be Misty. As much as I rag on her not being focused on enough, she was a really competent battler. May and Dawn were not billed as being battlers, so I can scarcely include them here. Cilan does seem pretty decent, but his skills have not been showcased enough for me to say much.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Samurott View Post
    This is a tough call for me. I've never been one to put the coordinators on the same level as Ash, but they would still be tough to deal with since their moves have to be more creative. Strangely, no, although she's the strongest companion that's been on the show in ages. The other may be Misty. As much as I rag on her not being focused on enough, she was a really competent battler.
    What battles of Misty are you referring to?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    What battles of Misty are you referring to?
    One which comes to mind where Misty really shined showing her potential as trainer was in Whirl Cup against. Harrison,Ash and Trinity,when she battled gym leader Dorian.when battling against Molly in third movie etc.
    Way in which she interacted with water types earning their trust(referring to Gyarados)or when encouraging them to restore confidence back(referring to Poliwhirl)showed that her character has predispositions and potential which someone needs to make a name for itself.

Misty maybe didnt had luxury to have many battles like Ash or some other characters like Dawn did but basing on what we saw she was certainly not some low class rookie being skilled as water trainer laving positive impressions on many other trainers(especially when battling in her own element water).
    She is also along Iris only character which managed to win first real tournament(Princess festival) early in series being nothing to scoof at so while i wouldnt put her on top she would either come second or third in skill and strength among Ash traveling companions.

So far though Iris seem to be strongest of Ash friends early in series and if she keeps up i could see her surpassing others coming at top.

Blog Entries

That was late in her run though. During Johto she became a better battler, but in Kanto I hardly remember her battles with her own pokemon at all being stand-out in anyway. Psyduck started popping out of its ball in all her matches.

Blog Entries

That was late in her run though. During Johto she became a better battler, but in Kanto I hardly remember her battles with her own pokemon at all being stand-out in anyway. Psyduck started popping out of its ball in all her matches.
    I reckon purpose of Psyduck was to add comedy in this show with love-hate relationship between him and Misty playing out nicely.Yellow dick drove her crazy(well pretty much always)but she gradually started to care more and more about it.

Speaking of Kanto one of most memorable Misty battles to me i guess were when she battled against Ash with Staryu and Starmie or when Psyduck battled against Farfetched or bikers band(though that was more for comedy).
    If we count using other pokemon than battling with Seal vs TR in underwater ballet was definitely one of best battles she had that early imo.

Blog Entries

Well, assuming they want Iris to be the 8th gym leader by the end of this series, and she actually get's more Dragons...she'll probably end up being the second strongest person on the main cast overall, only surpassed by Ash if not equal to him.

Pikachu still can't seem to beat the Ground/Steel type combination. Jasmine, and Morrison's Steelix absolutely destroyed Pikachu. At least here Pikachu put up somewhat of a fight, even though he still lost.

I don't quite know where to put Axew, his power-up just seemed ridiculous. Emonga is obviously equal to Snivy.
    Last edited by Masurao; 16th August 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Now that the tournament is over, it really does feel as if Iris is much stronger now, although its hard to pinpoint where exactly.

Excadrill is a powerhouse, probably right up there with some of Ash's stronger pokemon. Iris is also a far better battler than Misty at this point (compare any of Iris' recent battles in the tournament to any of Misty's Kanto battles, there is no comparison), but I don't know where she stands as a whole.

Although sadly being "too good" is a problem too, because it makes Iris seem Mary Sue-ish. That's why I don't want to place her too high, it actually is a negative.
    *EYE twitch*
    Charizard beat Scisor Blastiose and Golem in a row. Excadrill beat Scolipede and Pikachu.

Wanna know what else beat Pikachu? SNIVY! Just because Iris won doesn't mean anything caause of the reset. Just because Excadrill is evolved and has good stats in the games doesn't mean anything as show by Pikachu beat Dragonite and Metgross.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    Wanna know what else beat Pikachu? SNIVY! Just because Iris won doesn't mean anything caause of the reset. Just because Excadrill is evolved and has good stats in the games doesn't mean anything as show by Pikachu beat Dragonite and Metgross.
    It doesn't matter, just by watching Excadrill in battle it was a powerhouse. Iris is definitely stronger than Kanto-era Misty was. Just compare Misty's battles in the first 44 or so Kanto eps to Iris battles in the tournament arc, there is no comparison.

Misty nowadays might be stronger, but she hasn't appeared in so long that there's no way of telling how she is now.

Blog Entries

It doesn't matter, just by watching Excadrill in battle it was a powerhouse. Iris is definitely stronger than Kanto-era Misty was. Just compare Misty's battles in the first 44 or so Kanto eps to Iris battles in the tournament arc, there is no comparison.

Misty nowadays might be stronger, but she hasn't appeared in so long that there's no way of telling how she is now.
    ALL WINNERS ARE SHOWN IN A POSITIVE LIGHT. Buizel looked badass at first but it stopped being as strong as time went on. Everything looks strong just by watching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    ALL WINNERS ARE SHOWN IN A POSITIVE LIGHT. Buizel looked badass at first but it stopped being as strong as time went on. Everything looks strong just by watching.
    That is true. However you cannot say Excadrill is not a strong pokemon.

Iris also did fairly well with Emonga and Axew in the tournament, beating a powerful Sawk and Golett.

While I don't think Iris is godly, she is definitely stronger than the previous 3 girls were at only 45 eps into their respective series.

Blog Entries

That is true. However you cannot say Excadrill is not a strong pokemon.

Iris also did fairly well with Emonga and Axew in the tournament, beating a powerful Sawk and Golett.

While I don't think Iris is godly, she is definitely stronger than the previous 3 girls were at only 45 eps into their respective series.
    At that time yes but with current situation im pretty sure all three May,Misty and Dawn are stronger than Iris at this point being more experienced and skilled compared to their early days.
    Also for record just like Iris,Misty also wasnt rookie when she joined Ash already having some knowledge and perception about battling being more experienced than Ash at that point.Same goes for Brock at that time.

Blog Entries

In terms of anime context, Iris was shown getting 99 wins in the past and just defeated Ash's Pikachu in a tournament. Whether people like it or not, Iris could be a contender for one of the strongest.

What other character ever did that?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast