CONTEST: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, etc. - Page 11

View Poll Results: Strongest battler?

Voters
141. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dawn

25 17.73%
  • May

43 30.50%
  • Brock

15 10.64%
  • Misty

23 16.31%
  • Iris

19 13.48%
  • Cilan

14 9.93%
  • Tracey

2 1.42%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, etc.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, e

Cilan, Iris, Misty and Brock didn't have lots of chances to shine...
    It comes to Dawn and May... Out of seven Pokemon, May has 4 fully evolved (with Beautifly), a middle evolved, and two non-evolved
    Dawn has (with Ambipom) 3 fully evolved, a middle evolved, and 3 non-evolved.

Also, May made it to the Wallace Cup final and beat Zoey the Unbeatable! (Dawn never beat her) Dawn's only win in the whole cameo was a Ramone COTD-ish. And prolly Cilan, she arguably had the advantage...

IT'S MAY!

Default Re: Strongest battler of Ash's friends? Cilan Vs. May Vs. Brock Vs. Misty Vs. Iris, e

I do not get how is May leading the poll. Remember the episode called ' What Did I for Love '. The episode Brock entered a contest and battled with May in the final. The only reason May won it because she was the co-star of the series. If May battled against someone else like Brock did against her, it would be battle-off in May's favour.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn View Post
    I do not get how is May leading the poll. Remember the episode called ' What Did I for Love '. The episode Brock entered a contest and battled with May in the final. The only reason May won it because she was the co-star of the series. If May battled against someone else like Brock did against her, it would be battle-off in May's favour.
    Yeah, I actually rewatched that episode and May's Eevee was getting cleaned the whole battle but somehow managed to turn things around...by running on a Water Gun and using Tackle. I think overall May's the strongest because she has the most evolutions and her Blaziken as a Combusken was a beast. Actually reminded me of Axew as a Torchic since Torchic hardly did anything at all and May relied on her Beautifly for most battles but when it evolved it went beast mode pretty much. Blaziken is a strong opponent and then her Wartortle accomplished quite a bit as a Squirtle. Munchlax seemed strong, though didn't get to battle much unfortunately. Bulbasaur didn't battle much but being a Venusaur is still pretty awesome. Skitty was kinda meh, Beautifly was, without a doubt, her best Contest Pokemon. So, yeah, I think May's deserving of that number one spot.

Dawn's Mamoswine wasn't that impressive for a supposed powerhouse, getting one-shotted by a Magical Leaf? Knocked aside by Carnivine? It seemed to only shine in Double Battles. Misty has her Gyarados and possibly Psyduck. Iris has her Dragonite and Excadrill.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 8th May 2013 at 01:27 PM.

May is the strongest battler out of Ash's friends. Brock, Tracy, and Misty are probably the weakest

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cilan is atrongest. We are talking about battlers and May and Dawn is not training for battles. They are training for contests. Cilan trains for battle, hes a gym leader and has strong pokemon.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking back i have to say Brock had very diverse and strong team when you think about it being pity that they were never utilized that much.

I remember how strong his Onix was when smashing Arbok through rock like toy, when battling Hunter Tyranitar in movie or sheer power he demonstrated as Steelix in double battle against TR Charizard and Aggron.

He definitely showed to still possess some of his touch he used to had as gym leader in AG battles. Such as when battling Ash Torkoal with Lombre almost beating it if it weren't for unexpected overheat, when clashing against May in contest smartly using Marshtamp gills as radar to locate Eevee under ground effectively repelling all of his attacks beating him left and right(should have won that battle imo).

Hi battle in Hearthome tag tournament was also fairly impressive, especially when using Croagunk Brock Break effectively against Paul Torterra bringing it in serious problems whose resistance howeever showed to be decisive for outcome of match.

He maybe didn't battled much, or entered many tournaments but whenever he did battled traits which defined him was calm and collected approach not loosing concentration, smart thinking and ability to anticipate opponent moves turning away his strength into weakness.

For that alone i respected Brock as battler and i would be willing to argue how overall he has more impressive pokemon team than most Ash traveling companions being close to top.

As far as May and Dawn goes , while later one showed ability to come up with overall more creative combinations when fusing two pokemon techniques together which can be used both offensively and defensively as well(after all we are talking about here about flame ice, ice chandelier, aura whirlpool, rocket formation etc).

In longer run May pokemon showed to contain more raw power so to speak and durability which would probably give her edge in battle. Majority of Dawn strength comes from teamwork with her pokemon shining most in tag battles such as pair of Mamoswine and Cyndaquil, Piplup and Togekiss, Buneary and Pachirisu etc.

But as far as individual strength goes i wager how May pokemon like Blaziken, Venusaur or Beautifly showed overall higher level of power with trainer like battle style picked from Ash which defined greatly future development grant them with more experience in one on one matches and against opponents which are more adept in straightforward trainer battles. Something Dawn pokemon in general lack being more focused on appealing aspect and attack combinations.

With Iris its rather iffy situation. If we include Dragonite in equation she would based solely on his power alone come close to sole top, but as far as skill and knowledge goes judging by what she demonstrated so far and her merits as trainer as far as development of her pokemon strength goes i say she would come somewhere in middle of better half. Since objectively speaking there are companions which showed more expertize and attainment in this fields at this point.

Lastly in Misty case i still stand by what i said about being one of strongest trainers when it comes to Ash friends. Way i see it using one type isn't disadvantage but way of life with type advantage not being most most important thing,as numerous gym leaders and E4 members by now proved. She showed to be pretty knowledgeable about battling and her beast of Gyarados , Politoad, Corsola etc. are very strong having some excellent moves and defensive tactics. Starmie could be hard nut too not knowing his true power and Psyduck has massive unlocked potential. She also has i believe more experience when it comes to real battles being gym leader and learning a lot during travels than most other companions did which could give her an edge in such confrontations.

Of course most of her battles came from era of anime when animation and battles were less detailed, but judging by recognition she received, effort and skill showed in several battles as well steadiness and fighting spirit some of pokemon demonstrated for back in day standards ill say she would definitely be one of contenders for one of first three places.

So this is my final out look on things, and where i would pout Ash companions based on craftsmanhips and strength of their pokemon:
    1:) May.
    2.) Misty.
    3.) Brock/Cilan.
    4.) Iris.
    5.) Dawn.
    6.) Tracey.

Quote Originally Posted by Druddigon View Post
    Yeah, I actually rewatched that episode and May's Eevee was getting cleaned the whole battle but somehow managed to turn things around...by running on a Water Gun and using Tackle. I think overall May's the strongest because she has the most evolutions and her Blaziken as a Combusken was a beast. Actually reminded me of Axew as a Torchic since Torchic hardly did anything at all and May relied on her Beautifly for most battles but when it evolved it went beast mode pretty much. Blaziken is a strong opponent and then her Wartortle accomplished quite a bit as a Squirtle. Munchlax seemed strong, though didn't get to battle much unfortunately. Bulbasaur didn't battle much but being a Venusaur is still pretty awesome. Skitty was kinda meh, Beautifly was, without a doubt, her best Contest Pokemon. So, yeah, I think May's deserving of that number one spot.

Dawn's Mamoswine wasn't that impressive for a supposed powerhouse, getting one-shotted by a Magical Leaf? Knocked aside by Carnivine? It seemed to only shine in Double Battles. Misty has her Gyarados and possibly Psyduck. Iris has her Dragonite and Excadrill.
    It's too hard to compare May and Misty. But the only reason why May won that battle is she was the co-star of the series and she was the one who supposed to win ribbons. Not Brock.

Blog Entries

It's too hard to compare May and Misty. But the only reason why May won that battle is she was the co-star of the series and she was the one who supposed to win ribbons. Not Brock.
    Honestly, how can we even compare May and Misty? It's fairly obvious May's Pokemon are all largely better by a landslide. Misty has nothing aside from Gyarados and even then we never even saw Gyarados in a real battle and it's probably a glass cannon like all Gyarados in this show. Her Corsola and Politoed were average battlers, everything else came off as weak. Though I like Misty's personality, her Pokemon team was sucky for the most part and Corsola and Poliwhirl suffered quite a lot of losses unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Druddigon View Post
    Honestly, how can we even compare May and Misty? It's fairly obvious May's Pokemon are all largely better by a landslide. Misty has nothing aside from Gyarados and even then we never even saw Gyarados in a real battle and it's probably a glass cannon like all Gyarados in this show. Her Corsola and Politoed were average battlers, everything else came off as weak. Though I like Misty's personality, her Pokemon team was sucky for the most part and Corsola and Poliwhirl suffered quite a lot of losses unfortunately.
    First; The battle that I was talking about was May vs. Brock.

Tho I agree, Misty's Pokemon do not have the potential that May's Pokemon have. But being a better battler is a different thing. May&Dawn have no case for the best battler imo. They utilized their style for the contest battling. Just think about Pike Queen Lucy. Never dodges, never teaches her Pokemon a defensive move. Yet, arguably top 3 battler in the Hoenn Frontier Brains. Do you claim Cynthia is a better champion, better battler than Alder, Steven and Wallace coz of Garchomp is a better Pokemon/battler than Bouffalant, Aggron, Milotic?

Blog Entries

Tho I agree, Misty's Pokemon do not have the potential that May's Pokemon have. But being a better battler is a different thing. May&Dawn have no case for the best battler imo. They utilized their style for the contest battling. Just think about Pike Queen Lucy. Never dodges, never teaches her Pokemon a defensive move. Yet, arguably top 3 battler in the Hoenn Frontier Brains. Do you claim Cynthia is a better champion, better battler than Alder, Steven and Wallace coz of Garchomp is a better Pokemon/battler than Bouffalant, Aggron, Milotic?
    There is some truth in that I suppose, though May was a battler Coordinator. Dawn was an appeal Coordinator, May would a lot of the time try to subdue her opponent while showing off instead of wasting time showing off.(Dawn makes Togekiss look pretty with Safeguard in her GF, May utilizing Bubble-Sky Uppercut in hers and knocks Flygon out with a close-range Ice Beam.) Plus May's team looks more lethal than Dawn's. May's Contest style of battling was more refined and Ash-like so it makes sense, she did lose the Kanto GF because she picked up Ash's style of battling so there's that. When it comes to Cynthia, she looks like a stronger champ than those guys because of her behavior and the fact her Garchomp was shown skewering opponents in a lot of DP episodes and even blocking a move from one of the Sinnoh god mascots. Steven was just a COTD in the anime, not the champ. Milotic seemed more like a Coordinator Pokemon than a brute battler. Bouffalant seemed strong. Though we haven't seen a formal real battle of the champs so I can't say for sure who is better, Cynthia only ever battled Paul for a supposed full battle full time on-screen and she just called attack after attack so we don't know her strategic prowess.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tho I agree, Misty's Pokemon do not have the potential that May's Pokemon have.
    Personally i never evaluate someone team by how many evolutions he has and if pokemon are big, since power doesn't come through size playing only minor factor, but how experienced and trained pokemon are with strength often hiding in small packages. Along with how skilled and filled with acquisition person which use them is, as showed in this anime numerous times weith smaller pokemon winning against bigger counterparts.

Basing on what was showed i definitely don't consider Misty team weak with lack of power bing often compensated through lot of battling spirit and determination. Her Gyarados showed to be resistant and powerful pokemon when beating Tentacruel or Shedinja. Corsola defeated several strong pokemon like Quilfish, Gyarados or Mantime having good move set, Politoad won most battles for Misty being one of main battlers. Staryu always seemed remarkably resistant and agile as pokemon with his performance in third movie when being on pair with mirage much stronger pokemon than normally they would be revealing how he is definitely powerful.

And Psyduck while unreliable never lost official match having incredibly strong psychic powers. There is also Starmie which has reputation of versatile and strong pokemon in general, so who knows what powerhouse it could had become in meantime. I wager Luvdisc wasn't too bad either if battle against Mightiena and Sableye is something to count.

But being a better battler is a different thing. May&Dawn have no case for the best battler imo. They utilized their style for the contest battling. Just think about Pike Queen Lucy. Never dodges, never teaches her Pokemon a defensive move. Yet, arguably top 3 battler in the Hoenn Frontier Brains. Do you claim Cynthia is a better champion, better battler than Alder, Steven and Wallace coz of Garchomp is a better Pokemon/battler than Bouffalant, Aggron, Milotic?
    Agreed. Having better pokemon doesn't make you better, more skilled trainer with muscle not meaning much if you don't have required knowledge and strength to utilize them in productive manner.

Needless to say being coordinator and full time pokemon trainer are two completely different professions following divergent methodology and battle style being unthankful job to compšre them with each other. Its like comparing apples with oranges.

Coordinators mainly focus on combination of techniques from their pokemon for beauty purposes and how to leave bigger effect on judges when performing appeals. But in battling as well with elegant combinations and performance of attacks bringing you more points than just using direct approach going with raw strength at opponent. Hence explaining why for win knocking down opposing side pokemon isn't necessary.

On other hand trainers like Misty, Cilan, Iris, Ash etc are more focused on direct confrontation between pokemon in battle, coming up with strategy how to counter opposite moves and use them against themselves while working on strength of their pokemon attacks and resistance with real trainer battles being usually more demanding, straightforward and crude(sometimes even brutal) resulting in their pokemon usually being more sturdy.

I think is kinda funny when everyone vote May as strongest battler. Just because she's your favorite doesn't mean she's a great battler. I watch most of entire AG episode and she rarely do any battle at all. She ONLY does contest battle. Ash Vs. May don't count because that's a contest battle too(You can say Ash is good at contest too and this is also demonstated in ash vs zoey and ash vs kyle in wallace up. Basically showing how much may has learn from Ash thru-out the journey). Her pokemon like blaziken, glaceon, venusaur are quite excellence. But she's not very good in regular battle and lack of experience in that.

Even Dawn does way more battle with beside her contests and has a great deal of experience. She's able to use her contest skills and experience from ash to battles. She even challenge Maylene for gym battle, although she lost, but at least to her lucario(that lucario take out ash's team too in a tie which he got another pity badge). I wanna see how may go against brawly at the early stage of her journey. May literally "freeze up" in the first half of the series and only after kanto frontier she actually got better and does something.

I will have to go with either Misty or Iris on this one. Misty is gym leader and have very good battle experience and Iris(probably gonna take over dragon type gym in opelucid city, that's what Drayden expect her to do) although she's a terrible trainer, but her pokemon especially excadrill and dragonite are such badass to make up for her weakness. Beside they focus way more on battle compare to may's. I don't even think may should have 43 vote on her and should switch with iris or misty's vote.
    Last edited by death trapper; 18th June 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by death trapper View Post
    I think is kinda funny when everyone vote May as strongest battler. Just because she's your favorite doesn't mean she's a great battler.
    That's quite the generalizing assumption. Why do I think May's is the best battler? Because her contest style has repeated been called 'too battle heavy' and even when not having the writers on her side (ie, not being the focus of the episode) she manages to do well such as in DP where hse was pretty much brought back so that Dawn can defeat a well regarded contest trainer. As for Iris, no I don't think she's that good. She's shown as being good but most of those wins are the writers handing her wins rather than her earning them.
    Hidden Mew likes this.

I rewatched What Did I for Love episode. Here is the battle between Brock and May. Brock used his Marshtomp and May used her Eevee.

Eevee uses Shadow Ball. Marshtomp uses Protect.
    Marshtomp uses Mud Shot. Eevee uses Dig to dodge.
    Marshtomp hits Eevee with Water Gun when Eevee comes up to surface.
    Marshtomp uses Mud Shot. Eevee doesn't get directly hit but receives a little damage and loses its balance.
    Marshtomp hits Eevee with Tackle.
    Eevee uses Shadow Ball. Marshtomp uses Water Gun to cancel it.
    Marshtomp hits Eevee with Tackle.
    Eevee uses Dig. Marshtomp hits Eevee with Tackle when Eevee comes up to surface.
    Eevee uses several Dig moves to stop Marshtomp and Marshtomp dodges them all.
    Marshtomp uses Mud Shot on the battlefield.
    Eevee uses Tackle. Marshtomp uses Water Gun to stop Eevee's Tackle.
    Marshtomp hits Eevee with Water Gun after Eevee lost its balance and fell.

Scoreboard, at this point;
    kkk.jpg

The call is yours. Of course Eevee was newly hatched. Just 10 episodes from its hatch. But May had absolutely no idea what she should do to get the win. Her Eevee started to turning the battle around with running over a Water Gun to make a Tackle...

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

The contest battle was BS and everyone knows it. Moving on. :P

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011