Which saga had the best fillers and why? (Kanto/OI not included.) - Page 2

View Poll Results: Best fillers? (Kanto/OI not included.)

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Johto

5 25.00%
  • Hoenn/Battle Frontier

2 10.00%
  • Sinnoh

6 30.00%
  • Best Wishes

7 35.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which saga had the best fillers and why? (Kanto/OI not included.)

Default Re: Which saga had the best fillers and why? (Kanto/OI not included.)

The only really fun Johto fillers were the ones about Team Rocket or heavy on battling. Everything else was terrible. I agree with those who say Team Rocket, "saved" many of Johto's fillers, because back then they were literally the only good thing a terrible episode could have to make it interesting.

That being said, DP's fillers weren't great either, given the heavy emphasis on training. I can see how that bored a lot of people. There were some gems like Spiritomb and Togepi though, but DP's better episodes tended to be the plot centric ones.

Hoenn's fillers could be a mixed bag, as some were very similar to Johto fillers, but others could be ten times funnier and more memorable. I suppose the only reason Hoenn's fillers aren't as hated as Johto's is because:

a) There was a lot less of them

b) The main cast and their pokemon was more interesting

That being said I do agree Hoenn's fillers could be hit or miss, and there were some stinkers...the ones about Relicanth, Huntail/Gorbyss come to mind.

BW's fillers are sometimes fun, sometimes boring. Not much to say there.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Looking back i actually feel Johto fillers are really, really underrated with most people tending to remember only negative sides while overlooking many gems, and truly fun episodes this saga had. Ironically bad points about Kanto, AG or DP are strangely enough ignored.

One of negative parts about Johto was in way one of its stronger points as well, because when writers put effort they usually made highly entertaining episodes containing that adventurous feel promoted in Kanto with interactions between Ash, Misty and Brock being full of life.

Such as "Forest Grumps" where we saw Ash and Brock pairing with Jessie while Misty with Meowth and James having to get over their hate and work together.
    "Unbearable" introducing evil Teddiursa manipulator steeling away food and group things with Misty turning into bitch falling for her charm.
    "Hocus Pokemon"turning Ash in Pikachu.
    "Heartbreak of Brock"where Brock almost got married being all in panic and how to save himself from mess he got into,
    "Wired for Battle" where Heracross was involved in fierce battle against Scizor being highly complex and detailed confrontation.
    "Just Waiting on a Friend" where Ninetales hypnotized Brock with Misty and Ash slapping him trying to snap him out.
    "Some Like it Hot"where we saw nice bond between Misty and Egan revealing why she likes water types, and lot of arguing and inciting remarks about their skills.
    "Fortune Hunters" where we had characters identifying themselves with pokemon in horoscope being fun to follow their reactions.
    Such as Misty going berserk after finding she is Gyarados, James becoming egocentric when thinking he is like Moltres etc.
    "Sick Daze" where Ash and Misty had to do Brock chores when he was sick revealing how they are terrible cooks and rather disorganized showing how desperately they were dependent on Brock.
    "Tyroque full of trouble" where we witnessed incredible battle between grown up adult who relied only on himself trying to defeat pokemon with bare hands.
    tc, etc.

You can't tell me such episodes were uncreative and bland. In all honestly they were amazing in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    The only really fun Johto fillers were the ones about Team Rocket or heavy on battling. Everything else was terrible. I agree with those who say Team Rocket, "saved" many of Johto's fillers, because back then they were literally the only good thing a terrible episode could have to make it interesting.
    I don't think merit should go only to TR, but Ash, Misty and Brock too who through their flamboyant interactions, internal jokes and moments of insecurity lifted up atmosphere of episode making it more divertingly to watch. "Bug catching contest" where Misty freaked out all the time at bugs trying to get Brock to protect her or Ash yelling at Casey for capturing pokemon he wanted,"Better Pill to Swallov"where Brock and Misty tattle old man showing interest in his medicines and Shuckle, Ash stupidity making idiot of himself being cocky when stepping on Slowpoke tail in "Shadow of Drought" or arguing with Brock over pokemnon he wants to catch(like Donphan),Misty when they got lost in forest full of farfetched or just ribbing on her such as when Larvitar wanted to stray away leading to insults and clash etc are just to name a few from top of my head.

b) The main cast and their pokemon was more interesting
    If you ask me i still enjoyed overall more in original cast during Johto than i did in characters from Hoenn with dynamics feeling overall more endearing and lively.

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

Sinnoh's fillers, obviously. Most of them are good, some are great, the balance between filler and plot is more ... well, balanced. What's not to love?

A lot of DP fillers were the weakest points of DP. Most consisted of Piplup getting lost or Ash/Dawn training their pokemon. I think this is why DP's fillers bored a lot of people because the series lost the "adventure" feel that all the other sagas had.

DP is liked because its plot-centric episodes are generally strong and it had great battles, but the fillers were generally dull. Unless watching a Pokemon being taught to use the same move over and over again is interesting to you.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked Johto's fillers, they were more fun, more funny, had better scripting, better Team Rocket and better filler plotlines.

For me, Best Wishes had the more entertaining fillers. They always made me smile, and prevented me from leaving or getting distracted. Majority of my favorite fillers are from this era.
    #1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
    I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12