Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why? - Page 5

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why?

For me it's Trip since I prefer supporting someone that mostly no one likes.

I mean like Paul and I know he was alright but he is overglorifed by the fanbase.
    Caseydia likes this.

M-Blaziken, so much yes Shiny Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Blaze's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why?

While the Ash-Paul rivalry certainly was the best rivalry this show has ever had, mainly due to the battles, this doesn't mean to me Paul is automatically the best rival. As a matter of fact, I hate Paul. His whole attitude reminded me of people I despise IRL. And he was just no fun. I know rivalries are supposed to be super serious and stuff, but a little humour doesn't hurt. That's why I liked the Ash-Gary rivalry. Paul did become a bit likeable at the end of DP, when he gained respect for Ash, but this moment was so short and at the end, it was too late to make me like him.

The Ash-Trip rivalry is just.... yeah. Bad. The Ash-Gary rivalry wasn't all that good in terms of battles. They have barely ever really battled. Their first battle was after Ash came back from the Orange Islands, even though Gary was Ash's rival in Kanto! They really should've battled in the Indigo League, but oh well. Then there's the battle in the Johto League. A decent battle, which I remember watching in my youth, but I recently watched it back and it's a bit rushed and not as good as I remembered. Charizard vs. Blastoise was very epic though.

It's true that, like Paul, Gary was also mean to Ash at first, but at least this was coupled with humour. And Gary gained respect for Ash after the Johto League and appeared some more after that interacting on a friendly level with Ash and didn't disappear like Paul. All this made me like him more.
    Shiny Blaze
    Owner of a Living Dex
    Owner of 80+ Shinies
    Obtained: 718 out of 719
    3DS Y FC: 0576-4616-1571

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345