Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why? - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why?

Default Re: Which one of ash's rivals was the best and why?

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogleknight24 View Post
    Gary. he was the original rivals wth ash since they were kids no one can compete with that, hes a really good trainer who made Ash push on to get better becasue he was desprate to beat Gary for the first time also he dosent have any persoanllity problems like Paul, he is just a nice normal guy who is cool and strong without trying hard unlike Trip.
    "NICE"!? "No personality problems"!? Gary was a complete and utter jerk. He constantly bullied and berated Ash every change he got, and even insulted Ash through graffiting a signpost outside of one of the cities in the off-chance Ash would read it.
    I take it you only saw the episodes after Kanto, which he had really mellowed down.
    Yes its called a rivalry thats what happens he was a jerk to Ash to begin with because he felt superior to him as he had never beaten him before. He dident respect him much at that point but gradually gained respect as Ash improved, deep down he wanted Ash to do well and was just pushing him to do well if he wasent he wouldent of been happpy for Ash when he got better or stayed to watch Ashs next match after he had beaten him. A real jerk would of been a bitter loser and continued to belittle Ash but he dident. He is clearly a nice guy yes his pokemon all love him and are raised well he also helps other people out when they need it usually from team rocket, hes done this multiple times.
    I take it you have some deep Gary issues for some reason
    I don't have "deep issues" I just saw him as a jerk because he acted as such. Nothing more.
    yeap and i reasoned why he seemed to be "a jerk" in my comment , you told me i was wrong for saying his "nice" and has "no personallity issues" you picked out 2 isolated moments in he anime to back up your points thats nonsnese. I looked at the anime as a whole now if your gonna acuse me of being wrong fair enough atleast come in with an argument im open to any decent ones, still waiting. Sorry i said you have gary issues becasue you dident back up your "your wrong im right" opinon then acused me of not watching the kanto saga (seen every episode like 4 times) your comment suggests to me your the one with a handfull of episodes under your belt.

Still really dont know why you felt the need to quote me in that comment and suggest i havent seen the kanto episodes..
    I'm sorry that I disagreed with you, I have no wish for this to turn into a heated argument and if you were offended by what I said I apologize, I had no intention of "Starting anything" can we please just end this?
    Last edited by Chespingamer26; 8th January 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

Gary. he was the original rivals wth ash since they were kids no one can compete with that, hes a really good trainer who made Ash push on to get better becasue he was desprate to beat Gary for the first time also he dosent have any persoanllity problems like Paul, he is just a nice normal guy who is cool and strong without trying hard unlike Trip.
    "NICE"!? "No personality problems"!? Gary was a complete and utter jerk. He constantly bullied and berated Ash every change he got, and even insulted Ash through graffiting a signpost outside of one of the cities in the off-chance Ash would read it.
    I take it you only saw the episodes after Kanto, which he had really mellowed down.
    Yes its called a rivalry thats what happens he was a jerk to Ash to begin with because he felt superior to him as he had never beaten him before. He dident respect him much at that point but gradually gained respect as Ash improved, deep down he wanted Ash to do well and was just pushing him to do well if he wasent he wouldent of been happpy for Ash when he got better or stayed to watch Ashs next match after he had beaten him. A real jerk would of been a bitter loser and continued to belittle Ash but he dident. He is clearly a nice guy yes his pokemon all love him and are raised well he also helps other people out when they need it usually from team rocket, hes done this multiple times.
    I take it you have some deep Gary issues for some reason
    I don't have "deep issues" I just saw him as a jerk because he acted as such. Nothing more.
    yeap and i reasoned why he seemed to be "a jerk" in my comment , you told me i was wrong for saying his "nice" and has "no personallity issues" you picked out 2 isolated moments in he anime to back up your points thats nonsnese. I looked at the anime as a whole now if your gonna acuse me of being wrong fair enough atleast come in with an argument im open to any decent ones, still waiting. Sorry i said you have gary issues becasue you dident back up your "your wrong im right" opinon then acused me of not watching the kanto saga (seen every episode like 4 times) your comment suggests to me your the one with a handfull of episodes under your belt.

Still really dont know why you felt the need to quote me in that comment and suggest i havent seen the kanto episodes..
    I'm sorry that I disagreed with you, I have no wish for this to turn into a heated argument and if you were offended by what I said I apologize, I had no intention of "Starting anything" can we please just end this?
    Its more the way you disagreed with me you hinted at a lack of knowledge on my part for thinking diffrently to you, which annoyed me since your opinon (atleast in your comment) was based on 2 moments not the whole series like my analysis was.

Anyway , its done. All is rosey :))

And I'm still sorry we got into an argument. Thank you.
    Last edited by Chespingamer26; 8th January 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow gryffindor1991 on Tumblr

I never liked Gary, even when I was little. I liked Paul because, as rude and mean as he was, he was still a good rival.
    3ds FC: 3454-1523-2870
    Pokemon X ign: Joe
    Dark friend safari

Blog Entries

My god 3 Paul glorification threads all on the front page? What is this madness? >.<

I vote Casey just to be different.
    foxkrystal likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Terrell On Twitter Add Terrell on Facebook

Paul was like a boss.
    foxkrystal likes this.
    Time to show of my gangsta to friends and fans.

Blog Entries

Toss-up b/w Gary and Paul. Gary was cocky, but he had the skills to back up his bragging, and like many cocky characters, he started mellowing after getting the wind taken out of his sails. Paul had the best character development and the closest ties to Ash, and by that I mean Chimchar. In the end, both of them learned to respect Ash (if only grudgingly).
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Blog Entries

Whoever likes trip sorry, but i think he's overatated.

Blog Entries

Uh, duh, Gary, not least because he eventually redeemed himself and became friends with Ash without loosing his badassness. Its safe to say that Ash probably wouldn't have gotten far without his first rival to push him into doing his best. And man, you really got to be impressed by a ten year old who rides around in convertibles with a pack of personal cheerleaders praising him all day. Gary. Such a player.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

The Power of Electricity Jolty94's Avatar
    Follow Jolty94 On Twitter Add Jolty94 on Facebook

Paul, hands down. I loved Gary too, but Paul is unbelievable.
    Everything about Paul's character development was absolutely phenomenal to me, the way his Brother lost to Brandon and he wanted to make up for it, the way deep down he knew that Ash would always be a tough opponent to beat for him. The way he never backed down from his stubborness, which was admirable as he knew how to go about training his Pokémon and what their strengths were.

What I also loved, and what made the Sinnoh Saga a very emotional point for Pokémon; was when Cynthia was explaining about Ash and Paul "When one Life meets another Life, something will be born" and then it cut to Ash and Paul's Pokémon going head to head. Those were the moments that I cherrish forever in the Pokémon Animé... and I could watch them so many times, not for fun and entertainment but because it also means something, and it's relevant!!

I don't think they can ever develop a character again that good in comparison to how Paul was, especially with this relationship to Ash.
    foxkrystal likes this.
    N is finished yet.

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

Paul was literally the polar opposite of Ash. You can't get any better than that, seriously. With Trip, I'm sure they were trying to make him a lot like Gary with him being a new trainer and all but with the experience Ash has now, the whole rivalry just crashed and burned.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

What about Kenyan! He was the first rival to appear regularly that was friendly. Plus his battle was Ash at the league turned out to be more important than Trip's... lol.

Blog Entries

Except Gary isn't that badass his rotation stategy makes no sense I don't think he ever won on screen besides those times on Ash but those were one v one. He barely appeared and none of his pokemon appeared until the 60th freakin episode. Paul has huge set of curb stomped and he actually battled Ash throughout his run and deeper strategies.

Paul was Ash's only main rival who had decent handling as opposed to Trip and Gary that barely did anything if that doesn't make Paul the best I don't know what does
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

My usual favs are Gary and Paul (I STILL like Gary), but I'm adding Stephan to the fav list because he was probably the most decent rival who truly loved training, and battling. If Marshal appeared as an immature kid, I picture him to be like Stephan. He's also got a good personality, and I'd say among he's had the best battles with Ash, more so than Trip.

I wish I could say Bianca as well, but unfortunately, the League ruined it for her...

Blog Entries

bianca was reckless towards ash lol. she beat trip in the battle club epi with her emboar like wth? paul would of took her out.
    Yankees4life likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast