CONTEST: Which was more ridiculous; Dawn winning Wallace Cup or Iris winning Don Tournament? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Iris or Dawn which win did you dislike more?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dawn

9 14.75%
  • Iris

37 60.66%
  • Both were ridiculious

11 18.03%
  • Can't decide

2 3.28%
  • I can think of a more ridiculous win in a tournament

10 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Which was more ridiculous; Dawn winning Wallace Cup or Iris winning Don Tournament?

Default Re: Which was more ridiculous; Dawn winning Wallace Cup or Iris winning Don Tournamen

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    Iris, no doubt.

Dawn's victory over her predecessor was a little jarring, but as we had already discovered from her stint in the show, May is definitely not unbeatable and was prone to making many mistakes of her own. Plus, Dawn had fallen into a deep depression after her last two contest challenges had ended in disaster. It made her much easier to root for and a far more deserved win.

Iris, on the other hand... ugh, never has there been a more forced and cheap victory. The problems with her team vanished into thin air just to let her win; Emolga suddenly obeyed orders without question, Axew learned the strongest move available to it to at the best time possible, (despite having so much trouble with the lowly Dragon Rage not long ago) and whilst Excadrill does indeed have a huge advantage over Electric types, Ash was practically forced to use Pikachu. And after 40+ episodes of Iris belittling Ash, she was asking for a Break the Haughty moment; the last thing she deserved was to defeat him and everyone else in a major tournament. Even Trip winning would've been a better outcome.
    This, Everything this.

Default Re: Which was more ridiculous; Dawn winning Wallace Cup or Iris winning Don Tournamen

There was nothing ridiculous about Dawn winning the Wallace cup. I know May was seen as stronger and more confident but Dawn battled perfectly and she deserved that win. Now the whole Don battle thing was a good plot for training but the competition itself was not my favorite. I didn't see the battles as interesting and serious. The characters all knew each other and most of them(Bianca) were acting like fools. I wanted to see more of the rival chemistry between Ash and Trip, Cilan and Burgundy that was missing beyond the tournament.

Iris, hands down and here are the reasons:

1.) Pokemon Primary Rule of Every Saga: If a Pokemon disobeys you, work with it until you can train it, at least ATTEMPT! Iris didn't even do that shit, and while Emolga is cute as I don't know what and there was some strategy there, it was so unbelievable I couldn't even enjoy its battle. Seriously, who does that?

2.) Another Pokemon Primary Rule of Every Saga: If you are a baby Pokemon simply not equipped with what's needed to win a battle, then automatically you should lose. Hell, I would have been more comfortable with Excadrill being used twice and Axew being shown for 5 seconds in a side battle than that cheap shit. Like for real? Learning Outrage, still as a Fucking Baby? I was seriously starting to wonder if the series REALLY lost its touch when this happened.

3.) Excadrill vs Pikachu was already predetermined because you truly can't win against a Ground type if you are electric and the strongest move you can use is Iron Tail. It wasn't the fact that Iris beat Ash, but it was really how it was done.

Ash worked hard and played fair to advance, while Iris didn't. I have nothing against the girl, but she really should not have won, at least not then. If the end of BW she was developed, then fine.

I quite enjoyed the Wallace Cup, everyone was on their A-game, and the least realistic thing one could possibly say that came out of that tournament was how rushed Dawn vs Kyle was, and how Ambipom should have been used in that round, instead of Piplup, especially since it was released later on.

So, Iris gets this Razzie award for the most ridiculous win of a tournament ever. Misty winning the Princess tournament in Princess vs Princess was more believable.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I can't imagine the complaining if something like Blaziken lost to Piplup. Thankfully the writers made the match up much more fair and believeable.

El_
    Blog Entries

The Wallace Cup was actually pretty enjoyable to watch, like something you can watch over and over again and enjoy. The Don Tournament is what you watch when you need a good horror flick to scare your buddies away.

Dawn deserved and most importantly she actually "needed" that win. The brilliant thing was that you didn't know if she was going to win and get out of her rut or not, but I'm glad the way it was handled. It was also sort of a "passing the torch" kind of thing from one coordinator to another.

Iris on the other hand... did not need that win. Hell, what she needed was a major loss so she could have something to strive for, which is exactly what made Dawn's story so good not to mention that Dawn actually "worked" or was shown training alot back in DP.

While you were on the edge of your seat for Dawn vs May, Iris vs Ash was basically predetermined when the match began. Not only that but compared to the battle of Piplup vs Glaceon the match was very poor IMO since Pikachu can't do much to Excadrill. Why Pikachu was even chosen in the first place was pure BS.

Like I said though, the entire Don Tournament was unenjoyable due to poor developments, so Iris's win is a fitting icing on the cake to a poor tournament. Using movie analogy like at the beginning of this post, comparing the Don Tournament and Iris winning it to the Wallace Cup and Dawn winning is like comparing a bad horror movie to a summer blockbuster or academy award winning movie.

For the record, I have nothing against Iris's character really, its just how they are developing her thats ridiculous.

The Don Tournamnet for sure. Do you imagine if Excadrill wasn't used, how the outcome will be? Even though Excadrill was used to train 99 times, Axew is not seen battling much at all. So that's what gets me. I don't mind Excadrill but Emonga and Axew seem like they don't belong at times.

Blog Entries
    Add L-05308 on Facebook
    Visit L-05308's Youtube Channel

I don't believe how much people flare up over Iris winning the don battle, Ash chose to use Pikachu first, so Iris thought "lol I'll use Excadrill". If Ash chose to use Tranquill then Iris would have used Emolga (Alas, he never uses Tranquill) Pikachu's moves were useless, Excadrilll had a brilliantly diverse and powerful moveset, Ash probaly thought to himself "Crap, I'm gonna have to try but I'm not sure we can win" The only ridiculos part it that he'd chose Pikachu when he knew she could troll him with Excadrill.

On the other hand, May had competed in two Grand festivals in which she ranked very highly in both of them, she was an excellent coordinator (Seriously, if she didn't win the Johto GF, I'm gonna rage) Her Glaceon was he newest pokemon yes, HOWEVER, she still had Glaceon longer than Piplup if we are basing this on time. And consider the fact that Glaceon is a much stronger species than Piplup. Consider that rather than a normal battle, this was a contest battle, so it was dissapointing to hardly see any brilliant combinations devised by expert coordinator May and for Dawn to exel so well in the battle side rather than the beauty, makes no sense as for the last two contests she never got to battle and had minimal experiance.

The most terrible thing about this is it put May's return to the show in vain!

We watched May defeat Zoey, who Dawn to this day still has not beaten, and it makes little difference that May was using her most experianced Pokemon: Beautifly because Zoey was also using her 'Vintage'.

I'm not a Dawn hater, I enjoyed Dawn, I think her getting so far in the GF was rightful and just, however her Aqua ribbon is a lie! I appreciate how they wanted to build up Dawn breaking her lossing streak, bring back May, introduce Wallece, but her win was forced.

I would have preffered her to almost win, rather like she did in the GF agaist Zoey, which would have upped her confidence, and won another ribbon else where (Reducing the fillers between Candice and Volkner)

It's not about the fact of Iris winning, it's about how she won. The Tournament itself seemed rushed first of all. I wish they had more other trainers in the competition other than just the main characters and their rivals. That way, it would seem more drawn out. Second of all is the Pokemon. We see Excadrill come out twice with bad attitude, Emonga who didn't want to do anything and Axew who was mostly being kidnapped or thrown somewhere. With the Wallace Cup, Everyone's Pokemon was at top shape and ready.

Blog Entries

I don't believe how much people flare up over Iris winning the don battle, Ash chose to use Pikachu first, so Iris thought "lol I'll use Excadrill". If Ash chose to use Tranquill then Iris would have used Emolga (Alas, he never uses Tranquill) Pikachu's moves were useless, Excadrilll had a brilliantly diverse and powerful moveset, Ash probaly thought to himself "Crap, I'm gonna have to try but I'm not sure we can win" The only ridiculos part it that he'd chose Pikachu when he knew she could troll him with Excadrill.
    Do you not wonder though why the writers chose to have Ash use Pikachu at that moment? Yes, Excadrill rightfully won the battle but the actual fact that Ash was using Pikachu is one of the reasons why Iris' Don Geroge Tournament win was ridiculous. The plot was written in such a way that Iris would win - Axew learning Outrage, Emonga's obedience issues suddenly disappearing and Ash being absurdly handicapped in the final. Nothing about it was creditable, hence why it's widely considered ridiculous.

At least in the Wallace Cup, the writers didn't feel the need to give Dawn unfair advantages for no reason.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12