43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

16 37.21%
  • May

31 72.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    Exactly how is Misty's fear of Gyarados and her overcoming it 'character development' may I ask?
    No one said anything about her getting over her fear of Gyarados (though that Pokemon was mentioned).

It's also no different than May's dislike of Pokemon getting resolved in the same episode (if that's not lazy writing, idk what is.)

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    Exactly how is Misty's fear of Gyarados and her overcoming it 'character development' may I ask?
    No one said anything about her getting over her fear of Gyarados (though that Pokemon was mentioned).

It's also no different than May's dislike of Pokemon getting resolved in the same episode (if that's not lazy writing, idk what is.)
    A certain someone always brings up Misty getting over her fear of Gyarados as strong character development.

To be fair to May, that was literally her first appearance. Now if you want to bring up a legitimate example of lazy writing that's almost on par with the lazy writing of Misty Gyara-phobia, then look at May's fear of Tentacool, which I already brought up in my post which you seem to have ignored.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

A certain someone always brings up Misty getting over her fear of Gyarados as strong character development.

To be fair to May, that was literally her first appearance. Now if you want to bring up a legitimate example of lazy writing that's almost on par with the lazy writing of Misty Gyara-phobia, then look at May's fear of Tentacool, which I already brought up in my post which you seem to have ignored.
    Well that someone isn't here (or at least (s)he didn't take it to this thread)

I didn't "ignore" the other points you brought up, in fact, I added on to yours with my own. BOTH the Tentacool thing, AND her first appearance = lazy writing.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Check out the poll: 30 + 80 = 110%.

lol. :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    So becoming a one-note gag character in Johto is handled compellingly? She was basically reduced to pulling Brock by the ear and making random observations in most episodes as background fodder, hence lack of any major development. Misty was basically almost a trial and error character for the writers, because she was the first time they were doing one.
    She did have development that was subtle, she was unfinished, but not undeveloped.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post

Just as a little explanation:

It's a flaw with the multiple choice options. There's only two options, and you can choose both of them, so it can't compute a proper split up to 100%. If there were three options where one of them was "Both" and there was no multiple choice option it would go up to 100% correctly.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fokko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post

Just as a little explanation:

It's a flaw with the multiple choice options. There's only two options, and you can choose both of them, so it can't compute a proper split up to 100%. If there were three options where one of them was "Both" and there was no multiple choice option it would go up to 100% correctly.
    Ah, I see. No problem. I just found it funny. :)

Blog Entries

Well that someone isn't here (or at least (s)he didn't take it to this thread)

I didn't "ignore" the other points you brought up, in fact, I added on to yours with my own. BOTH the Tentacool thing, AND her first appearance = lazy writing.
    Maybe you should read the first page again.

Also, I'll repeat this. To anyone saying May had cheap victories (which she had her share of, there's no denying that) I'll say just one word: Psyduck.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Likewise the type of pokemon May took down in contests are above Misty's level.
    You mean those like Ogata Venusaur who was defeated by single peck and Sky uppercut, Harley which resorts to tricks and cheating to win or by using Skitty against trainers with Houndoom or Dusclops winning through sheer luck and plot armor(aka poor writing), I still remember how it actually resisted direct hyper beams, got up after receiving barrage of attacks mastering blizzard out of nowhere(how convenient).

Granted those like Drew or Erica were strong but nothing i consider Misty wouldn't be able to pair against showing lot of knowledge and skill with her pokemon managing to defeat just as tough, if not tougher pokemon. Such as Corsola defeating Trinity Gyarados or Mantine, Staryu Tentacruel, Poliwhirl Poliwrath, Gyarados Shedinja who pummeled through Ash and May pokemon etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gotpika View Post
    [
    Bulbasaur-Agree. Actually...EDIT:Whoops I just remembered Bulbsaur is a Venusaur...so yeah I agree. Then again, it depends on how strong it is. Type advantages aren't everything.
    Meaning how same argument works in Misty favor too not being fair to discard her chances when battling grass or electric types.

Azurill-Just a newly hatch when we saw it.
    Staryu-Unimpressive.
    Politoed-Pretty decent, strangely enough never battled after evolving.
    Gyarados-Strong, most comes from the stereotype of Gyarados being strong Pokemon. Never really battled much at all though and all opponents it battled were pathetic.
    Starmie-Unimpressive, maybe weak, never battled much.
    Horsea-Pretty weak, never battled.
    Corsola-Probably her strongest cute/girly Pokemon.
    Goldeen-Weak, unimpressive, never battled much.
    Caserin-Unimpressive, never battled much.
    Psyduck-Pretty awful when not inflicted with a headache.
    -Regarding Azurill true, but still showed more competence than Togepi knowing bubble beam, refresh and water gun.

-Staryu was definitely impressive showing high resistance and swimming abilities when carrying group over on raft, or saving other people from drowning like Rudy little sister. Along with being pretty strong battler defeating Marina Tentacruel with just one swift, breaking through James Weezing and sending him away with just rapid spin, being on pair with Molly mirage pokemon etc. Perhaps we didn't seen it battle vs other trainers too often, but from what was showed it definitely earned my respect.

-Politoad battled after evolving against TR revealing to know Swagger, and "unbeatable trio brothers in departing episode.

-As far as Misty Gyarados goes i actually think it was stronger than Wake's. Whose Gyarados didn't showed anything being awfully easy defeated by Pikachu. If anything Misty Gyarados showed more impressive move set and resistance in chronicles and AG specials than Wake pokemon did such as whirlpool, hyperbeam, hydropump, protect, flamethrower and headbutt. And i don't think colonel Hanson he defeated was anything but pathetic along with trio brothers Tentacruel not being that weak either.

-As far as Starmie goes ill agree how due to rarely battling we can't judge its true strength, but still judging by how easily he defeated grass types like Weepinbell and Odish showed that he was promising fighter.

-Horsea battled Jessie Arbok.

-About Goldeen i agree how it was probably one of her weakest pokemon, but still against Dorian it showed some pretty impressive strategies which were nothing to scoff at. Like supersonic, horn drill, using fins to repel pin missile and send it back etc. I thought it had potential, but never got enough focus to battle and prove itself.

-Speaking of Caserin to be fair it was only showed in Misty last episode from chronicles and from what it was showed i definitely think it was impressive when battling Mightiena and Sableye knowing ice beam, agility , sweet kiss etc adding for pretty diverse and balanced move set.

I think Misty would be largely mismatched, Gyarados would be her only really strong non-girly/cute Pokemon
    I can hardly find Srarmie, Starmie or Politoad as someone i would consider "too cute" overall. Corsola, Goldeen or Luvdisc for sure, but this three not so much.Speaking of encounter against May it could be anyone game imo with Starmie(since Misty returned to gym its likely she trains him), Gyarados, Corsola or Politoad being hardest one to get over imo. Staryu is option too.

Honestly, Misty's Pokemon, for the most part, are pretty weak and/or largely unimpressive in battle as much as I liked a lot of their personalities.
    Maybe to you, but way i see it aside from Horsea, Goldeen and Azurill i think Misty had pretty balanced and strong pokemon tram which simply didn't had enough chance to shine and exploit their true potential on surface. Speaking of Psyduck it can be anyone game with him, though one thing is for sure. His psychic powers if awakened could probably defeat most of May pokemon.

So becoming a one-note gag character in Johto is handled compellingly? She was basically reduced to pulling Brock by the ear and making random observations in most episodes as background fodder, hence lack of any major development.
    Misty was one note gag character, since when? She showed plenty of characterization and personality in Johto whether it was her passion for battling wanting to prove her worth as trainer to others, big love for water pokemon being determined more than ever to become water master and be recognized by sisters. Her appreciation for romance and cute pokemon wanting to catch several of them such as Teddiursa, Chinchau, Wooper etc. Her playful and sarcastic demeanor liking to tease and provoke Brock about girls and Ash about his training style and naivety making jokes about his big appetite, criticizing him for using too strong pokemon against inexperienced trainers,being annoyed by his lack of knowledge when it comes to pokemon(such as trying to clean Onix with water). Coming up with biting remarks about Brock obsession over girls keeping him in check or criticizing him for being afraid to do first step and approach to girls.

Showed plenty of spunk and hotheaded side blowing up at TR , Ash or other people stupidity(such as that small elder with Shuckle), Andreas, Dorian or Egan who made fun of her, whenever they got lost blaming Ash for finding themselves in such situation or when he was reckless foolishly rushing into danger forgetting his task(such as GS ball to give over to prof. Kurt) .She still had her quirks and fears from Gyarados and bugs,she was still romantic liking to give advices about it while falling herself for various cute pokemon etc.

Likewise she battled far more often than she did in Kanto, entered various competitions, gave us inight in her background(such as why she likes water types, how she used to play tambourine or why its so important for her to prove to sisters)bonding with several characterslike Sakura helping her about same problem. Often played important role in getting grpup out of danger, took initiative in solving mystryes behind pokemon thieves, battled Tr and their organization, tried to pir up romantic copuples etc.
    Aside from that she started to grow as person becoming more level headed and independent while keeping that tomboyish, adventurous spirit.Got over annoyance toward sisters,bonded with several pokemon and learned how to apply new strategy and develop skills as trainer casting fresh, new angle to her story.

Hardly something i would call "background fodder".

Misty was basically almost a trial and error character for the writers, because she was the first time they were doing one.
    Every character was trial and error for writers to test out if he will work in show, this doesn't only apply to Misty.

Such as Tracey who was introduced only for racial, issues, May which was introduced to see if contests will be well received etc, Iris is introduced to see if OS formula can work again(considering how immensely popular original cast was) and try to do something different with female companions etc.

You can recognize someone qualities without downplaying others to make look character you prefer look good in comparison.

Exactly how is Misty's fear of Gyarados and her overcoming it 'character development' may I ask? Said fear of Gyarados was introduced in the same episode where it was resolved. It was never even hinted to before hand nor was it ever referenced again. That's some pretty shitty character development.
    You might want to rewatch original series than because Misty fear from Gyarados was consecutively showed through whole 5 seasons she was in. Whether it was when they escaped from enraged Gyarados after St. Anne ship was sunk, when they met Red Gyarados, when she faced Trinity Gyarados etc. In fact several times in anime Misty stated how only water pokemon she is afraid of was Gyarados.

In chronicles when gym was in danger of being closed down she learned how to reach to his heart and understand feelings earning his thrust and respect. Getting over that fear was significant to Misty because it gave needed muscle to her team, doing notable step forward as water trainer being testament to her strength and independence.
    Prior to that she couldn't even stand thought of coming close to it being her childhood trauma when she almost got eaten by one as baby with this fear following hr for whole life until she had to confront it and pass PIA test.

Psyduck. :|
    DEM is plot device being used to resolve unsolvable problem through contrived excuse and intervention of some higher force, event etc which hasn't been implied to exist before appearing for that specific situation out of nowhere..
    Psyduck headache defeating opponent through psychic attacks cannot even be considered deux machina. When taken in account how it happened on consistent basis being established early in Kanto how pressure on duck head is going to cause big headache allowing to release enormous amount of mental energy in process.

Blog Entries

The only time Psyduck could be considered a DEM is during the Whirl Cup, versus Ash (because the Whirl Cup is supposed to further her goal. Not only that, but Ash should have known not to attack the head.). Any other time, it was used for humor.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    -Regarding Azurill true, but still showed more competence than Togepi knowing bubble beam, refresh and water gun.
    Anything shows more competence than Togepi.

-Staryu was definitely impressive showing high resistance and swimming abilities
    This is where your headcanon slips in, Turtwig showed high speed capabilities and Dragonite showed a high tolerance for Ice-type moves.

when carrying group over on raft, or saving other people from drowning like Rudy little sister. Along with being pretty strong battler defeating Marina Tentacruel with just one swift, breaking through James Weezing and sending him away with just rapid spin, being on pair with Molly mirage pokemon etc. Perhaps we didn't seen it battle vs other trainers too often, but from what was showed it definitely earned my respect.
    Marina-The whole battle was a one-hit KO fest from both sides.
    James-Beating OS TR is not impressive.
    Mirage Pokemon-If we didn't cut away from the battle we would have likely seen Staryu getting wrecked just like all Misty's other Pokemon.
    -Politoad battled after evolving against TR revealing to know Swagger, and "unbeatable trio brothers in departing episode.
    I usually don't count TR battles and iirc those trio of trainers cheated and it was an ambush rather than a battle.

-As far as Misty Gyarados goes i actually think it was stronger than Wake's. Whose Gyarados didn't showed anything being awfully easy defeated by Pikachu. If anything Misty Gyarados showed more impressive move set and resistance in chronicles and AG specials than Wake pokemon did such as whirlpool, hyperbeam, hydropump, protect, flamethrower and headbutt. And i don't think colonel Hanson he defeated was anything but pathetic along with trio brothers Tentacruel not being that weak either.
    Misty's Gyarados showed immense amounts of strength and promise that Wake's didn't in battle?

Three weak Tentacruel owned by weak pathetic trainers and a Pokemon that goes down to one hit and is only invincible when not hit by SE move. That seems pretty pathetic.
    -As far as Starmie goes ill agree how due to rarely battling we can't judge its true strength, but still judging by how easily he defeated grass types like Weepinbell and Odish showed that he was promising fighter.
    And then got smashed by a Graveler and Pidgeotto. Oddish didn't even battle, Misty ambushed it with Water Gun and Weepinbell didn't throw an attack either, Misty beat it with a Water Gun.
    -Horsea battled Jessie Arbok.
    Alongside Squirtle and the other Pokemon?
    -About Goldeen i agree how it was probably one of her weakest pokemon, but still against Dorian it showed some pretty impressive strategies which were nothing to scoff at. Like supersonic, horn drill, using fins to repel pin missile and send it back etc. I thought it had potential, but never got enough focus to battle and prove itself.
    All Pokemon have potential, Misty's aren't a stand-out.
    -Speaking of Caserin to be fair it was only showed in Misty last episode from chronicles and from what it was showed i definitely think it was impressive when battling Mightiena and Sableye knowing ice beam, agility , sweet kiss etc adding for pretty diverse and balanced move set.
    Team. Rocket. They lose to everyone.

I can hardly find Srarmie, Starmie or Politoad as someone i would consider "too cute" overall. Corsola, Goldeen or Luvdisc for sure, but this three not so much.Speaking of encounter against May it could be anyone game imo with Starmie(since Misty returned to gym its likely she trains him), Gyarados, Corsola or Politoad being hardest one to get over imo. Staryu is option too.
    Well that is true, those guys "could" be stronger but May isn't sitting around reading comic books now is she? Her Munchlax could be a Snorlax, her Wartortle could be a Blastoise, see how that works?

Maybe to you, but way i see it aside from Horsea, Goldeen and Azurill i think Misty had pretty balanced and strong pokemon tram which simply didn't had enough chance to shine and exploit their true potential on surface. Speaking of Psyduck it can be anyone game with him, though one thing is for sure. His psychic powers if awakened could probably defeat most of May pokemon.
    It's okay if you thought Misty had a strong team. If Psyduck could control its Psychic talents it could be a force to be reckoned with, however going by what we saw it couldn't and I don't think even if it did could beat "most" of May's Pokemon. Especially when Munchlax could, imo, defeat it after a hard-fought battle assuming it would be able to control these talents. Otherwise Psyduck was pretty weak when not headache-induced.

Even then Joe, Sakura, Marina, Harrison, the Whirl Cup trainers, the unbeatable trio brothers, Colonel Hanson and Georgio were definitely not exceptional, most being rookie trainers. The show didn't even portray Misty as an exceptional trainer(Ash, May, etc.) or as a prodigy(Iris) or even as someone who had a bit of experience in her goal before starting her journey.(Dawn, Iris) Ergo, that's one of the reasons I think Misty's Pokemon on the large are pretty weak, that and their overall portrayal on the show.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The only time Psyduck could be considered a DEM is during the Whirl Cup, versus Ash (because the Whirl Cup is supposed to further her goal. Not only that, but Ash should have known not to attack the head.). Any other time, it was used for humor.
    That may be true, but it still messed up anytime she could have potentially had a good battle. Like when she was going to battle the bike girls Cloyster or Jessie's Lickitung in the festival...both times could have been matches to show Misty's skill but the writers opted for the Psyduck gag.

So in turn, it really ruined a lot of battles for Misty.

Blog Entries

Didn't Misty, atleast on one occasion resort to beating Psyduck repeatedly on the head to give a headache to win a battle? Truly the mark of a great trainer, right?

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Didn't Misty, atleast on one occasion resort to beating Psyduck repeatedly on the head to give a headache to win a battle? Truly the mark of a great trainer, right?
    I remember she was about to beat Psyduck with a bike during that battle with Cloyster to get its Psychic powers to work. I'm not sure if there were other times like that, but she usually did encourage the opponent to attack Psyduck's head so that it could get a headache instead of doing something smart like actually train it to control its powers on its own.

Personally, I was never impressed with Misty as a trainer. Most of her Pokemon weren't useful outside of the water and most of them were pretty weak. Even Staryu, which was her main battler before getting Poliwhirl, was pretty weak. Togepi was practically a decoration and Psyduck was a deus ex machina whenever the psychic powers started up. Politoad and Corsola were pretty decent, but still nothing to really write home about. She was just an average trainer at best. Most of May's Pokemon came off as being better trained and just generally stronger. Though, it helps that May did train her Pokemon and was generally more active with her goal during her run than Misty was in the original series, but May looked like a stronger trainer than Misty did to me at the end of AG than Misty did as she left in the original series.

Blog Entries

...as opposed to Ash, who lost to a rookie, a complete retard, an average coordinator (ain't talking about May or Dawn), a generic asshole "rival" who hadn't beat either Brandon or been through the Orange Islands, etc.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast