CONTEST: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which one?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

    16 37.21%
  • May

    31 72.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 87
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

  1. #16
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    390
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Misty had more fair battles that didn't involve weird, ridiculous anime physics or deus ex machina or whatever else you wanna call it, and they were more believable.

    Blaziken- Strong, but not unbeatable, can be beat by one of her Water types.
    Bulbasaur- Can probably take out one or two of them because of advantage, unless Misty finds a way to overcome it.
    Skitty- With Assist DEM, can win, without DEM, will lose.
    Eevee/Glaceon- Her moveset was terrible, Politoed or Corsola will win, maybe even Staryu.
    Squirtle/Wartortle- With DEM, yes, without it, it loses.
    Munchlax- Not bad, but not that amazing, either.
    Bulbasaur/Venusaur- OU Gyarados and Flamethrower roast it.
    Beautifly- Not that impressive, to be honest. Not a weakling, but still not impressive.

  2. #17
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    I thought Misty's team was quite lackluster and that May's pokemon were more interesting and diverse. May also had more moments of glory in the series, a better storyline, better battles and more noticeable character growth.
    Maybe in your opinion. I actually find myself being able to enjoy more in Misty pokemon finding unique that she trained mostly water type striving to become best with them. Regardless how much it was used Starmie is one of most flexible and versatile pokemon out there. Staryu, Corsola and Poliwhirl all proved to be strong battlers and if we are talking about rest of her team most of them had potetial to blossom in real powerhouses. Such as Psyduck and his enormous hidden psychic power, Horsea which has predisposition to evolve in dual half dragon type etc.
    Add to that Gyarados, Luvdisc or Azurill and i think we have balanced and versatile pokemon team.

    Additionally i don't evaluate someones merit and value by how much someone does, but by how impacting character to anime and storyline was and how important his deeds were. And in that sense i can say how Misty added more humor, drama and genuine, amusing interactions between characters bringing overall more charisma to anime with her quirky persona, had more interesting story by having to grow up without parents in older sister shadow pursuing water master carer which offered potential to be took in many directions adding for unpredictability.

    As well finding myself to enjoy in her battles sometimes even more than it was case with May, Dawn etc often containing humor and suspense when Psyduck battled, or her more prominent fighters like Poliwag line and Corsola.

    Misty was just plain left to stand on the sidelines with her character doing nothing. And whenever she did get a chance to do something it was basically the same type of filler May did anyway.
    So basically to you every thing Misty did was "useless filler of no importance", while everything May did was important and of greater significance?

    Needless to say i disagree completely. Misty didn't need to enter contests and collect ribbons to remain active having stronger presence than May did imo often taking initiative to move things forward on her own, directly influenced main plot and story on several occasions(whether it was by saving group from dangerous situations or saving protagonist lives), played bigger role in Ash growth and development as trainer than any other successor after her did along with entering various competitions like Kanto race, Seaking contest, balloon race, Whirl Cup etc, battled various trainers ad bod with other characters giving us insight in her issues such as conflict with siblings, preference for water types etc along with collecting several pokemon during her travels bringing identity and balance in main cast.

    May may have got more focus, but as far as character quality go Misty wasn't in any way inferior contributing to anime just as much in different fields where her actions came to bigger, of more importance expression.
    And right after May i can say Misty experienced most notable character growth which especially came on surface in late Johto, hosos ad AG specials after departure.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Most of Misty's pokemon couldn't battle properly like Togepi or Psyduck, or were useless outside of water like Goldeen or Horsea.
    Togepi and Psyduck are only two out of 10 pokemon Misty has. That's not most. Also pokemon like Horsea while not as movable like they would be in water are capable of battling on dry land as showed with Clair Kingdra.

  3. #18
    I am also Steve Smith! Toxsa Dalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bandom City
    Posts
    53

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Misty is the best choice. Because she gets to avoid Brock's future relationships with random girls.

  4. #19
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Misty had more fair battles that didn't involve weird, ridiculous anime physics or deus ex machina or whatever else you wanna call it, and they were more believable.

    Blaziken- Strong, but not unbeatable, can be beat by one of her Water types.
    Bulbasaur- Can probably take out one or two of them because of advantage, unless Misty finds a way to overcome it.
    Skitty- With Assist DEM, can win, without DEM, will lose.
    Eevee/Glaceon- Her moveset was terrible, Politoed or Corsola will win, maybe even Staryu.
    Squirtle/Wartortle- With DEM, yes, without it, it loses.
    Munchlax- Not bad, but not that amazing, either.
    Bulbasaur/Venusaur- OU Gyarados and Flamethrower roast it.
    Beautifly- Not that impressive, to be honest. Not a weakling, but still not impressive.
    You have no idea how Assist works, do you? Assist isn't like metronome, it takes a move another pokemon on your team has and uses it. You may have to use it over Andover to get what you want but it's not DEM. Skitty isn't a strong pokemon, but Assist moves make sense.

    Likewise the type of pokemon May took down in contests are above Misty's level.

  5. #20
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    390
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    I do know how Assist works. In fact, now that you mention it, isn't it awfully convenient how she almost always managed to get just the move she needed?

  6. #21
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    I do know how Assist works. In fact, now that you mention it, isn't it awfully convenient how she almost always managed to get just the move she needed?
    Lol, did you even watch the episode? She had to use Assist 3 or 4 different times till she got Fire spin. So no, she doesn't just conveniently get the move she wanted. First she got string shot and then razor leaf which did nothing.

  7. #22
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    390
    Blog Entries
    24

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    I do know how Assist works. In fact, now that you mention it, isn't it awfully convenient how she almost always managed to get just the move she needed?
    Lol, did you even watch the episode? She had to use Assist 3 or 4 different times till she got Fire spin. So no, she doesn't just conveniently get the move she wanted. First she got string shot and then razor leaf which did nothing.
    I'm talking in general, not just one episode. She never got punished for spamming it, except on a few occasions. If they just gave Skitty a more varied set (there's so many moves it can learn), the writers won't have to rely on Assist to get her out of a corner. I wonder if they even took the time to play through the Gen 3 games?

  8. #23
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Skitty is a weak physical battler, there was nothing else to do with it. Skitty was only ever used in two Contests anyway and the second had a well done victory over Jynx. The Duclops match was crap though.

  9. #24
    Christmas Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Unova
    Posts
    4,508
    Blog Entries
    185

    Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Misty had more fair battles that didn't involve weird, ridiculous anime physics or deus ex machina or whatever else you wanna call it, and they were more believable.

    Blaziken- Strong, but not unbeatable, can be beat by one of her Water types.
    Bulbasaur- Can probably take out one or two of them because of advantage, unless Misty finds a way to overcome it.
    Skitty- With Assist DEM, can win, without DEM, will lose.
    Eevee/Glaceon- Her moveset was terrible, Politoed or Corsola will win, maybe even Staryu.
    Squirtle/Wartortle- With DEM, yes, without it, it loses.
    Munchlax- Not bad, but not that amazing, either.
    Bulbasaur/Venusaur- OU Gyarados and Flamethrower roast it.
    Beautifly- Not that impressive, to be honest. Not a weakling, but still not impressive.
    Blaziken-Blaziken is strong and has a Fighting-typing in its arsenal, I seriously doubt it would go down to one of Misty's Water-types as easily as you say. It sponged Absol's repeated Water Pulse attacks and still powered on won.

    Bulbasaur-Agree. Actually...EDIT:Whoops I just remembered Bulbsaur is a Venusaur...so yeah I agree. Then again, it depends on how strong it is. Type advantages aren't everything.

    Skitty-I'll never understand, why do people always label Assist DEM? I'm not asking that because May's my favorite Pokegirl but because when May used it it never gave her the results she wanted all the time. When she used it while Tag Battling with Ash it gave her crappy results each time and she used Assist four or five times hoping for Fire Spin against Jynx, so she was relying on luck but well played luck.

    Glaceon-Was the youngest and least experienced off all her Pokemon, I didn't think her set was bad. Eevees typically have limited movepools, but Mirror Coat, Secret Power, Shadow Ball, and Ice Shard wasn't that bad at all. Shadow Ball would do greatly against Starmie and Mirror Coat works wonders since I'm positive almost all of Misty's Pokemon know some type of water-expelling move and Glaceon is an Ice-type so should be able to send it back. Secret Power has a side effect, according to Zoey that just didn't activate when used on Piplup. Ice Shard is just an Ice move.

    Wartortle-Okay, Squirtle's wins over Ariados, Banette, Scizor, and a couple other Pokemon may have been sketchy. But you have to admit that Squirtle did prevail over a Flygon, Dragon-types are typically very tough and hard to beat and it was major challenge for May last GF and Ice Beam has a nice 4X advantage over it and it was hit quite a lot with Fire Spin, Fire Spin + Bubble, and normal Bubble. Squirtle faced off against Flygon in a fight for an Arcanine in early BF so the GF win over it was probably "revenge" for that. So that can't be called cheap.

    Munchlax-I still think Munchlax is quite a strong Pokemon despite not being used much in battle, he's a brute and like I said he pretty much did all the work against Harley in the GF and his Focus Punch was lethal.

    Beautifly-Was a strong Pokemon and May's best appealer, imo, it beat Zoey's Glameow a Pokemon only beaten by Buizel, Delcatty, and I think Nando at some point. Even then Zoey beat Ash and Dawn, Ash's Aipom and Dawn's Buneary. Also beat a Medicham, fought hard against Butterfree and Roselia, a few other opponents I'm forgetting. Glameow was pretty much "Roselia" for Zoey. May never did beat Roselia and Dawn never beat Glameow, both beat Ash's Taillow and Aipom and both are signatures.

    Azurill-Just a newly hatch when we saw it.
    Staryu-Unimpressive.
    Politoed-Pretty decent, strangely enough never battled after evolving.
    Gyarados-Strong, most comes from the stereotype of Gyarados being strong Pokemon. Never really battled much at all though and all opponents it battled were pathetic.
    Starmie-Unimpressive, maybe weak, never battled much.
    Horsea-Pretty weak, never battled.
    Corsola-Probably her strongest cute/girly Pokemon.
    Goldeen-Weak, unimpressive, never battled much.
    Caserin-Unimpressive, never battled much.
    Psyduck-Pretty awful when not inflicted with a headache.

    Taking what I think are Misty's six strongest and most reliable:Gyarados, Corsola, Politoed, Starmie, Staryu, and Azurill and pitting them against May's top six:Blaziken, Venusaur, Wartortle, Munchlax, Beautifly, and Glaceon. I think Misty would be largely mismatched, Gyarados would be her only really strong non-girly/cute Pokemon and even then Gyarados in the anime are glass cannons. Clair's Gyarados and Wake's, a pair vastly superior Gyarados compared to Misty's, could only take two Thunderbolts and Wake's only took one Volt Tackle. I'm pretty sure Glaceon could take it down, maybe Glaceon and another Pokemon. But looking at the rest.

    Venusaur-Mostly takes down two/three.
    Munchlax-Packs Solar Beam.
    Blaziken-Most likely knocks out two or more.
    Wartortle-Could knock out one.
    Beautifly-Could knock out one, has Silver Wind for Starmie.


    Honestly, Misty's Pokemon, for the most part, are pretty weak and/or largely unimpressive in battle as much as I liked a lot of their personalities.
    Last edited by Bubble Frog; 28th March 2013 at 07:36 PM.

  10. #25
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Misty was awesome. Ash was pretty rowdy at first, so he needed someone to balance him out. Misty did that to a tee in my opinion. They had perfect chemistry.

    May started off a ditz who thought she was all that, but grew on me as she became more mature, understanding, caring, and eventually became awesome. Gotta admit, the pervert in me did like something about May at first, though. Nice work, Brock, your perversion rubbed off on me. JK. XD.

    Both rock in my opinion, though. :)

    Dawn was boring and so bland. Nothing stood out other than her understanding of difficulties one must face and how to face them head-on with confidence and determination (Ash of the female companions to me).

    Iris is just so mean to Ash sometimes. Very hypocritical when she calls him "a little kid" when she herself is the little kid. Her traditional values and good heart stand out to me, though.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 28th March 2013 at 07:36 PM.

  11. #26
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    Misty was awesome. Ash was pretty rowdy at first, so he needed someone to balance him out. Misty did that to a tee in my opinion. They had perfect chemistry.

    May started off a ditz who thought she was all that, but grew on me as she became more mature, understanding, caring, and eventually became awesome. Gotta admit, the pervert in me did like something about May at first, though. Nice work, Brock, your perversion rubbed off on me. JK. XD.

    Both rock in my opinion, though. :)

    Dawn was boring and so bland. Nothing stood out other than her understanding of difficulties one must face and how to face them head-on with confidence and determination (Ash of the female companions to me).

    Iris is just so mean to Ash sometimes. Very hypocritical when she calls him "a little kid" when she herself is the little kid. Her traditional values and good heart stand out to me, though.
    Indeed, but I just want people to discuss Misty and May in this thread, not Dawn or Iris. I also thought May as a rookie was almost as funny as Kanto-era Ash. But it was a different type of stupidity, but you still saw May's caring side for her brother and eager to learn.

  12. #27
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post
    Misty was awesome. Ash was pretty rowdy at first, so he needed someone to balance him out. Misty did that to a tee in my opinion. They had perfect chemistry.

    May started off a ditz who thought she was all that, but grew on me as she became more mature, understanding, caring, and eventually became awesome. Gotta admit, the pervert in me did like something about May at first, though. Nice work, Brock, your perversion rubbed off on me. JK. XD.

    Both rock in my opinion, though. :)

    Dawn was boring and so bland. Nothing stood out other than her understanding of difficulties one must face and how to face them head-on with confidence and determination (Ash of the female companions to me).

    Iris is just so mean to Ash sometimes. Very hypocritical when she calls him "a little kid" when she herself is the little kid. Her traditional values and good heart stand out to me, though.
    Indeed, but I just want people to discuss Misty and May in this thread, not Dawn or Iris. I also thought May as a rookie was almost as funny as Kanto-era Ash. But it was a different type of stupidity, but you still saw May's caring side for her brother and eager to learn.
    True. I think since I'd seen Ash's stupidity before countless times, May's was just a bit annoying at first. lol.

  13. #28
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by stickerstaryoshi View Post
    She was more entertaining than May could ever dream of being, she had more believable development, and she had a more fleshed out backstory. Yes, she was a cliche (who isn't?), but she was handled compellingly
    So becoming a one-note gag character in Johto is handled compellingly? She was basically reduced to pulling Brock by the ear and making random observations in most episodes as background fodder, hence lack of any major development. Misty was basically almost a trial and error character for the writers, because she was the first time they were doing one.

  14. #29
    Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where I'm needed
    Posts
    4,563
    Blog Entries
    169

    Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Exactly how is Misty's fear of Gyarados and her overcoming it 'character development' may I ask? Said fear of Gyarados was introduced in the same episode where it was resolved. It was never even hinted to before hand nor was it ever referenced again. That's some pretty shitty character development.

    Not all that different from Ash's supposed overconfidence when he battled Drake in Hoenn. He never showed any overconfidence in the episodes that came immediately before.

    Niether is May's fear of tentacool any different either. Never alluded to before and never referenced again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Misty had more fair battles that didn't involve weird, ridiculous anime physics or deus ex machina or whatever else you wanna call it
    Psyduck. :|
    Last edited by Ranger Jack Walker; 29th March 2013 at 01:43 AM.

  15. #30
    Easy listening Masurao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,313
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: More enjoyable to you, Misty or May?

    Quote Originally Posted by SonGoku View Post

    Gotta admit, the pervert in me did like something about May at first, though. Nice work, Brock, your perversion rubbed off on me. JK. XD.
    There's the A Day Inside of May Fighting Misty made

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •