63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

27 42.86%
  • Dawn

36 57.14%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Misty Vs. Dawn

Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

Misty's a good character, they just didn't make her do anything which made her seem useless. And they didn't give her good Pokemon (though what she had were hilarious)! But I think she should be stronger, she'd been a trainer longer than Ash, and she gained a lot of experience from traveling with him and being gym leader. She acts superior to Ash and she pulls Brock's ears all the time, that's cool. :D I also like Misty's look better, though Dawn's is good, too. Dawn is a good character. She had a better story and character development and everything. Unlike Misty, she actually had a goal and a reason to travel with Ash. Cause of that, I'd say it's a tie (tho I voted for Misty cause I just like her better)! :)

Blog Entries

Definitely Misty. Misty was actually enjoyable throughout her entire time on the series. She was smart and funny in most of her interactions with Ash, Brock, and several other characters. She had an awsome personality where she was tough, but also nice and caring. She also had skill to win her battles with her strong Pokemon and battle strategies.

Dawn is my least favorite out of all or Ash's traveling companions. I viewed her as being idiotic as compared to Ash's previous compaions; not just because she was a new trainer, but that fact that she lacked common sence. Like staring at a Burmy fixing its leaves instead of trying to catch it or not making her Poke Ball bigger before she tried to catch a Pokemon. She got lost looking for Rowan's lab and didn't consider asking for help and Rowan had to take her to the lab. Also her over-confindence in the beginning really annoyed me, especially when she didn't have the strength to back it up and mainly ended up failing. Most of her wins were cheap and undeseved; pretty much each battle she had with Ursala. She also really talked too much and most of her dialouge was just annoying. Dawn really bored me in pretty much any episode that didn't have a contest in it.

Misty was basically more entertaining than Dawn to me. Therefore I'll always prefer Misty over Dawn.
    In addition, to answer the original question, I think Misty is the coolest, strongest, and definitely the funniest out of her and Dawn.

Well I choose Dawn obviously...because she's my favorite character XP
    Also I enjoyed her character development and her quirks too.
    Misty was also enjoyable for me, until about Johto I think, she seemed to have lost some of her short temper problem and matured quite a bit and became a bit dull.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnboy View Post
    Well I choose Dawn obviously...because she's my favorite character XP
    Also I enjoyed her character development and her quirks too.
    Misty was also enjoyable for me, until about Johto I think, she seemed to have lost some of her short temper problem and matured quite a bit and became a bit dull.
    I guess you only found slapstick humor when Misty smacked people heads and her yelling at others as " interesting"thing about her and i respect that, because we all have different criteria on what is interesting and what isn't.

But personally there was more than one quality to me which made Misty enjoyable as character imo and in reality her flare and temper was always kept as seen in yelling at daisy, Psyduck, Hanson etc in chronicles or several characters in Johto having lot of spunk.
    But in more subtle manner not biting other people bead of like she used to in early Kanto series.
    So i can't say she became dull for me at all. All characters grow and mature over time, but i find Misty after maturity kept most virtues and enjoyable quirks going for her being just as interesting like she was in early days in more prideful, grown up manner.

She was still stubborn, didn't let others to put her down having attitude, had sense for humor and quirky side being passionate about battling,water pokemon,hobbies etc. While gaining new qualities becoming more confident and independent, outgoing and tougher as trainer. Leading toward overcome some of long time problems such as gaining sisters respect,getting over Gyarados fear taming it under her control receiving powerful ally on her side, growing in "stronger" character and trainer who knew how to take care of herself better while still having that charm specific for her.

So with that thought in mind i enjoyed more in her wide rage of emotions and multidimensional personality she displayed compared to Dawn which while good character didn't manage to entertain me and bring same amount of fire, drama and comedy in cast like Misty did.

That aside i also find Misty went through more notable, believable growth in character sense better reflecting trials and struggles she went through .

However either way i still enjoyed in Dawn role in show and her extremely positive and cheerful outlook on things providing lot of moral support for Ash developing nice friendship, her obsession over beauty and spiny path sh went through as coordinator experiencing several loses, which staggered her confidence and faith in abilities along with big burden imposed on her as being daughter of top coordinator with everyone expecting lot more than she could give at times.

Needless to say i liked some quite impressive and creative combinations she developed about her pokemon. Whether its Mamoswine and Cyndaquil combination of swift and ice shard defeating Ursula thanks to it. Rocket formation which almost net her win over Zoey thanks to Togekiss sky attack and Piplup extra big peck attack. Or mix of aura sphere and whirlpool her pokemon developed.

All in all while not my favorite, Dawn was one of characters i definitely managed to enjoy.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 27th March 2013 at 11:37 AM.

Mutha'uckas CrackFox's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I did like Kanto/Orange Misty, but I'll give Dawn a slight edge for giving us some good battles and SOME funny moments. Even though I think both characters personalities became incredibly dull in the second half of their series.
    That's a fair point.

I'm past trying to argue with people on the subject of who is better. It is all down to opinion and nothing more. Misty is my favorite female sidekick, so naturally Dawn will not be my answer here. I like Misty because she's always made me laugh and the dynamic between her, Ash and Brock was as good as it got in terms of group bonding and entertainment. To be honest, the lack of humour in DP really spoilt any chance of me really liking the female. The first rule for me is making me laugh. I found Dawn to serious and too practical. There was never many episodes where the gang just did something fun and bonded a little, every episode seemed to be train, contest, train, gym and it was an endless, repetitive cycle. The proof that I could of been a big fan of Dawn was in her return in BW, I really enjoyed her character in BW, her personality had changed to fit in with the light heartedness of BW and it really made me look at her differently. I was sad when she left and I never thought i'd remotely care. To answers the questions asked, cuteness? I think they're both cute really, I could say one way or the other. Who is the strongest...I'm tempted to say Misty. She's had a lot of experience and as we saw in her AG return, she's toughened up a lot. It could go either way, it would depend on who the writers were focusing on throughout it.

THE WAR ROOM
    ~ The home of Mafia and Non-Mafia games.
    Art tumblr

Out of all these 'Misty Vs' threads, I think I find this one the hardest. Kasumi and Hikari has very little in common and little to compare. They both have distinct personalities (Okay, Hikari may have suffered a little from being a mix of Satoshi and Haruka but when does Kasumi ever leave the description of 'tomboyish'. If anything Hikari leaves her mixture achetype far more than Kasumi leaves her 'tomboyish' archetype). Kasumi had very little screen time whilst Hikari had loads. Kasumi lost her violence that made her more fun around mid Kanto and Hikari's development was mainly centered around one arc with little outside of that. Both had potential that was never really used: Kasumi's due to the writers not knowing what to do with her and Hikari's due to being put with really dull characters (Kengo, Iris, Nozumi, ect) too much instead of the characters where she was the most interesting (Shigeru, Kouhei, Dento, ect) with. Hikari did have better contests then Kasumi had battles but that's more due to the writers being more skilled at writing contests and battles. Overall, I'd say that they entertained me pretty equally. Which one was better, I'm really not so sure of. At the moment I'm tempted to say Hikari was a little better but that could change easily.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Madame Pika:
    As far as Misty violence side goes she remained temperament after mid Kanto too, only difference was that less slapstick humor was used getting disappeared over time as anime "evolved". Something which reflected to other characters as well like Jessie with mallets, paper waist, logs etc being thing of a past.

However this didn't lowered entertainment i got from characters personally and their personalities.

On side note to add on what i posted before and elaborate on my thoughts regarding this two girl companions:

In personality aspect i can say how i got more laugh and fun from Misty antics and various expressive sides she showed. She was strong willed and tough, but beside tomboyish side had plenty of characteristics such as showing her tender, caring side, being deep romantic and shy , adamant and upbeat for battling or cute pokemon etc being more vibrant and dimensional than Dawn was imo.

But in story sense i have to say how status of co-start definitely helped Dawn character allowing for more fleshed out storyline and development in goal sense. Something i particularly enjoyed myself due to offering new angle on Dawn story by being constantly overshadowed by successful parent which made name for herself in coordinator world, with everyone expecting no less from her daughter. And whole spiny path followed with several loses crushing her optimism and confidence with help of characters like Zoey which was kind of mentor and others like May helping her to get up on two feet again and change approach toward training and strategy coming up with various techniques like aura whirlpool, flame ice etc living up to mother and everyone else expectations growing in successful coordinator were definitely highlights of her story path.

Although looking back while Misty got less love in that aspect, mainly from writers not being sure in what direction to take show initially due to not expecting to last longer than one generation mixed with lack of care from ex head writer to increase her role i can say she still got pretty solid amount of focus and some really great growth in character sense. After all out of all male sidekicks she got most development and focus, and arguably got more growth than Iris did being second most relevant character in OS era after Ash. Which isn't something to scoff at .

And compared to Dawn which got more focus on her goals having better developed story, in character aspect personally i find Misty went through more substantial and noticeable growth as character which better reflected trials and struggles she went through and changes which happened regarding her story later on learning something from it.
    I liked change through which she went,turning out from a girl who was short tempered erupting over every little thing to mature and more responsible person. Later down the road as she started to gradually mature,different sides of personality and quirks were revealed showing that character had much more to it gaining more substance.
    Great relationship she established with several characters(like Marina, Joe,Sakura, Egan, Marina ,Egan etc) ,how she found courage to defeat Gyarados fear, managed to gain sisters respect and save gym, had several wins and memorable moments during her run with her skills as water trainer being recognized.

Most of her growth came through individual episodes, while sometimes getting arc for herself like Whirl Cup. In essence majority of focus and screen time was connected with Ash growth as trainer helping him to improve , playing role in various episodes by helping resolve various plots, helping other characters and how to solve their issues, baiting out group from danger such as finding way from sunk ship, saving Ash and Brock from jail, saving Brock from Ninetales curse,healing him and Tracey when they were sick etc while collecting new water types and learning things as trainer.

So in that aspect i appreciated what Misty brought to anime as whole, and while sadly she never got chance to be used to full potential leaving many things unanswered in end of the day i found personally myself how Misty had stronger presence in this show bringing it overall more identity and life by bringing lot of clever humor, tension and spice in group dynamics.

Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Misty because she's a better character with better writing to boot.

I like both characters! How great is that? Kasumi is a nice and fun character and I really like her personality and quirks, but I have to admit, sometimes she was very annoying, like in the "Who Gets to Keep Waninoko!? Satoshi VS Kasumi!" episode. I also like Hikari and her girly girl personality, but at the same time I detest contests, her Pochama and her overall crap team. What I am trying to say is that while Hikari was an enjoyable character, certain aspects of the show made her sort of unbearable to me. In the end, I think they are very different characters, so is very hard to compare them. I guess it comes down to personal preferences, so I am voting for Kasumi, who even with flaws, was more enjoyable to watch, at least to me.
    Last edited by Reila; 18th August 2013 at 10:31 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12