CONTEST: Misty Vs. Dawn

View Poll Results: Misty or Dawn?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

    26 41.94%
  • Dawn

    36 58.06%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Misty Vs. Dawn

  1. #1
    Trainer
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3

    Wink Misty Vs. Dawn

    Misty Vs. Dawn

    They're both cool.
    But who's the cutest, funniest, strongest, ... ? Misty or Dawn?
    Soooo... What do you think??

    Last edited by Iteru; 28th April 2012 at 02:08 PM.

  2. #2
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    Is this type of thread even allowed ???
    Anyway,
    From A the point of cuteness & Strength , Dawn better then Misty !
    Misty may have look good in her Mermaid appearance but Dawn had many appearance to beat it !
    Plus , I also consider their Original hairstyle as well !
    However, Misty's skintone is better then Dawn !
    Dawn is stronger then Misty because of her performance in Battle !
    Misty's Battling performance & Improvement isn't better then Dawn !
    Most of Misty victory were luck based ! Specially Her victory against Marina & her 3 victory in Whirl cup. (Quilfish , Totodile & Gyarados)
    Lot of people say that Misty's win in Princess festival is fair even after she using Ash & Brock pokemon !
    But if it was Dawn then she would easily win it with her OWN pokemon !
    It does matter if Writer was inexperience or Not !
    It doesn't change Misty's Past performance !
    She is a Anime Character , Not a Real person have hidden talent !
    After All the Improvement & performance Dawn shown , It gonna take more then a fire breathing Gyarados to beat it !
    May Be , Misty improve as a Gym leader !
    However , As long as Writer doesn't show Misty's Best Battling performance in future , Dawn will remain better her !
    In the case of Anime , Strength is depend on a Character performance !
    What true in Real life doesn't matter !
    If Misty show up some 4 episode & battle magnificently against Trainer that Dawn can never beat then she will be better then Dawn !
    Beating Ash doesn't count cause Ash can be beaten by the most weakest trainer .
    But if Misty Beat Paul or Anabel without any Luck or Accident then she will be better then Dawn !

  3. #3
    samurai in autumn garrison-san's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Genderless
    Location
    Lake Wobegon
    Posts
    4,551
    Blog Entries
    9
    Follow garrison-san On Twitter
    Follow garrison-san on Tumblr

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    Moving this to the Grand Festival as a Contest thread (with added poll) since this kind of character vs. character discussion would be more at home there. As per Grand Festival rules, remember to provide some explanation for your answers.

    Also, if you're uncertain whether a thread is allowed or not, please use the report feature to forward your concerns to the mods, rather than questioning it in the thread itself. Thank you.

  4. #4
    Because I can. Caseydia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,787

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    I pick Dawn. There was alot of development and interest in her story. She wasn't perfect or a noob. I liked how she was able to get better by training alot and I liked how she participated in events and trained alot with Ash. I liked most of her rivals and how she was full of spirit. Her pokemon were so cute. I wanted to jump in the screen and grab them and I liked how she was able to get as far as she did in the grand festival.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 28th April 2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: the issue as to whether the thread was allowed or not had already been addressed

  5. #5
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,213

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    For me, it's Dawn. No Contest, pun intended. While I'm not a huge fan of Dawn and had some issues with her during DP, I never hated her either. Though, I think seeing Iris in BW has made me appreciate Dawn more than I did when I first watched DP, but she was fine. She was always fine to me personality wise and she actually made progress towards her goal. She trained her Pokemon pretty well and had pretty believable victories for the most part. I never really got the appeal for Misty. Even back when I first started to watch Pokemon, I didn't really care for Misty. I didn't like her personality, her Pokemon team was, for the most part, weak and forgettable, she didn't make much progress towards her goal, and I just didn't really care about her. I know the writers didn't know how to focus on anyone who wasn't Ash or Team Rocket back then very well, but they still could have done some thing more to make me care about Misty and her goal. She basically talked about being a Water Pokemon Master, instead of actually being more proactive and doing something more often. I feel more painful indifference towards Misty than anything else. And I think that Dawn could defeat Misty in a battle. She just seemed like a stronger trainer by the end of DP than Misty ever looked like during either the original series or Chronicles. While Misty is probably a stronger trainer than we last saw her, I still think that Dawn would be able to defeat her in battle based on the skills she gained during her journey.

  6. #6
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    I believe Misty was more fun and better character overall. She was and still is great character despite some things being treated poorly in story.She went through a huge character development,turning out from a girl who was short tempered erupting over every little thing to mature and more responsible person.Later down the road as she started to gradually mature,different sides of personality and quirks were revealed showing that character had much more to it than only temper gaining more substance. I liked her sarcastic inputs, sassy remarks, hotheaded attitude, passionate love for water types, battling, cute pokemon etc(sometime borderline with craziness) etc.

    She definitely knew how to bring life into cast with OS being fun to watch on good part because of her. There is also whole touching backstory having to grow up in sisters shadow working hard for everything she accomplished and prove herself constantly to others which made people starting to sympathize for her not being your typical "happy go lucky"having many sides to her.

    I also really liked how she established great relationship with several characters(like Sakura,Egan,Marina,Egan etc),how she found courage to defeat Gyarados fear,managed to gain sisters respect and save gym,had several wins and achievements during her run with her skills as water trainer being recognized. Such as saving people lives, towns, bonding with various pokemon , getting her own arc like Whirl Cup, winning Seaking contest or Princess Festival etc. With Misty when she had chance to shin, usually you knew you could expect something very intriguing and filled with action.

    Sure in Johto writers made a slip,but in Master Quest,chronicles and cameos they got her back on right track with Misty becoming more responsible and self confident as person, while retaining all enjoyable quirks and traits for which she was known .

    Now i liked Dawn. She was ok character and i liked her energetic yet very positive personality at first being too secure in herself and her abilities just to later on discover how things are not as easy as they might seem being put down to earth through several harsh loses.
    After that she began to take contests and approach to them more seriously,which can be noticed with increased devotion toward training of her pokemon staring to come up with her style and strategy she was going to use in contests becoming recognized as coordinator, proving herself to mother and coming all the way to finals in GF.

    But while she may have get more screen time, i feel Misty had more interesting personality, more unique dreams like water master which allowed to be take in many directions, changed as person more significantly which i appreciated adding overall more excitement and charm to main cast. With Dawn i stayed indifferent most of time, simply not living up to my expectations as much.

    I believe Misty is stronger trainer than Dawn is as well. For start she is gym leader and trainer having far more battling experience showing more impressive strategy and ability to turn things in her favor. It doesn't matter that she battled less than Dawn(counting contests), with times when she did being usually delivered as more knowledgeable trainer imo.

    Misty maybe doesn't have so many evolutions, but that doesn't matter much because strength is measured through pokemon spirit and experience and not size(something Dawn isn't known for either). When taking in account fierce Gyarados, versatile Corsola or Staryu, strong Politoad, full of potential Starmie or Psyduck etc you know she has powerful and well balanced team which can give hard time to any opponent. As trainer she displayed wide amount of knowledge being skilled trainer which knows how to turn unfavorable position in her favor and establish strong bond with pokemon.

    With this said,i would lye if i say how i don't miss character wanting to see her again.
    She deserves some time to shine and while i would like have her return to main cast some worthy cameo appearance of 4 to 5 episodes would be satisfying too. She has rich character, ton of unused potential and i feel she could offer much more to this show being interested in seeing her develop more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    Misty's Battling performance & Improvement isn't better then Dawn !
    Most of Misty victory were luck based ! Specially Her victory against Marina & her 3 victory in Whirl cup. (Quilfish , Totodile & Gyarados)
    Lot of people say that Misty's win in Princess festival is fair even after she using Ash & Brock pokemon !
    But if it was Dawn then she would easily win it with her OWN pokemon !
    It does matter if Writer was inexperience or Not !
    I
    Most Misty wins weren't luck based. Out of all examples you mentioned only Psyduck win over Kingler was won through luck. Against Marina she used better strategy with Golduck wining fairly. Against Quilfish in Whirl Cup defense moves like recover and mirror coat gave Corsola edge in battle. Same goes for win over Trinity Gyarados surprising her by Corsola diving in water to escape hyper beam delivering critical hit with spike cannon.

    As for Princess festival, reason why she used Ash and Brock pokemon is quit simple. It was required from competitors to have diverse types and since Misty was water trainer she didn't had much choice but to borrow some of their pokemon. Regardless this only adds to her competence as trainer because she proved to be just as good in using different pokemon types like electric, fire and grass despite being water specialist not having experience when using other types.

  7. #7
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    Misty's Battling performance & Improvement isn't better then Dawn !
    Most of Misty victory were luck based ! Specially Her victory against Marina & her 3 victory in Whirl cup. (Quilfish , Totodile & Gyarados)
    Lot of people say that Misty's win in Princess festival is fair even after she using Ash & Brock pokemon !
    But if it was Dawn then she would easily win it with her OWN pokemon !
    It does matter if Writer was inexperience or Not !
    I
    Most Misty wins weren't luck based. Out of all examples you mentioned only Psyduck win over Kingler was won through luck. Against Marina she used better strategy with Golduck wining fairly. Against Quilfish in Whirl Cup defense moves like recover and mirror coat gave Corsola edge in battle. Same goes for win over Trinity Gyarados surprising her by Corsola diving in water to escape hyper beam delivering critical hit with spike cannon.

    As for Princess festival, reason why she used Ash and Brock pokemon is quit simple. It was required from competitors to have diverse types and since Misty was water trainer she didn't had much choice but to borrow some of their pokemon. Regardless this only adds to her competence as trainer because she proved to be just as good in using different pokemon types like electric, fire and grass despite being water specialist not having experience when using other types.
    I didn't wanted to come down like this but -
    Against Marina she used better strategy with Golduck wining fairly.
    All she did is firing a hyper beam because all other Golduck move failed & Hyper beam was the last resort .
    Misty could have take credit if Misty capture & train it !
    But Misty didn't capture it. The only reason it listen to Misty because It has a soft place for cute girl.
    It probably realize that as long as it play along to be Misty's pokemon , It will get 2 girl attention .
    However , As soon as it spoted cuter girl , It ditch Misty & go to them .
    All that power Golduck got its from nature ! Not from Misty training however If she caught it she could take the credit because she was capable of capturing such a thing !
    So , At the end it was only Golduck who beat Marina ! If Golduck didn't show up then Marina would have won with 2 pokemon remining .
    I mean , What if Golduck become Marina's pokemon ! what if everything happen in reverse !
    Would you admit Marina to be better then her or you would still support Misty.
    Against Quilfish in Whirl Cup defense moves like recover and mirror coat gave Corsola edge in battle
    The only reason Misty won that cause Quilfish got stuck on its head , Not because of some briliant tactic !
    Even Misty herself was surprise by that because she never planned it ! It was Blind Luck !
    Same goes for win over Trinity Gyarados surprising her by Corsola diving in water to escape hyper beam delivering critical hit with spike cannon.
    Corsola was hit by Gyarados Attack & fall under water ! However It didn't faint & when It suddenly attack Gyarados didn't able to move in time !
    Regardless this only adds to her competence as trainer because she proved to be just as good in using different pokemon types like electric, fire and grass despite being water specialist not having experience when using other types
    Since when Misty fought a Electric type ! The only one she ever battle was Pikachu.
    The only reason she won cause Pikachu couldn't hit Togepi !
    Misty only able to beat Grass type who happen to be far bellow level !
    However , She got beaten by a wild Macargo !
    As for Princess festival, reason why she used Ash and Brock pokemon is quit simple.
    y
    But , She didn't even give her pokemon a chance ! (until Jessie was too much for her)
    Plus, The princess Festival suck's ! Any serious Female girl could have won !
    Just like I say , If Dawn , Zoey or Maylene was there then I think Misty would last a chance !
    Futher more, They would have beat her with their own pokemon !
    It always the same !
    Everytime Misty win , There always a catch !
    That why I hate writer's ! they Mistreating all original character (Including Ash ) & only give better attention to newer character !
    I mean , Would Paul ever Lose to Trip ? No , But Ash does !
    All I said it depending on Performance of Misty & Dawn !
    Dawn has less luck on her battle but Her team is way more powerful then Misty's !
    Misty might have a stronger team As a Gym leader but would you believe that !
    I just wish Misty to come to Unova & catch some of Unova pokemon !
    A swanna & Jellicent would give Misty a edge !
    But if the writer gonna do it ? NOOOOOOOOOOO !
    They can't make hundred of Boring episode but They can even take there time to write a episode about Only Misty improvement !
    I mean , Misty doesn't even need to catch them on screen !
    Ash & co just gonna meet Misty in somewhere if Unova & she reveal to to Catch Swanna & Jelicent on her way to Unova !
    SIMPLE AS PIE
    Then Make a episode about Misty capturing a Naughty Simipour ! A good team created !

  8. #8
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    I did like Kanto/Orange Misty, but I'll give Dawn a slight edge for giving us some good battles and SOME funny moments. Even though I think both characters personalities became incredibly dull in the second half of their series.
    Last edited by garrison-san; 29th April 2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: removed quote of now-deleted post

  9. #9
    cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    9,683
    Blog Entries
    145

    Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    I have honestly always preferred Misty. I know she gets a lot of flak from the fandom, but she's always been one of my favorite characters. I always loved how hotheaded she was and how she never took shit from anyone. Dawn bored me to death and I just found her really annoying, save for a few funny moments she had. Nostalgia aside, Misty will always win over Dawn for me.

    EDIT: lolololol my hand slipped and I voted for Dawn by mistake. Whoops?
    back to being a non-edible pastry

  10. #10
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    All she did is firing a hyper beam because all other Golduck move failed & Hyper beam was the last resort .
    Im not sure what are you talking about because Golduck didn't even used confusion and other techniques against Starmie like he did when defeating Marina Psyduck. All he did used before that was fury swipes clashing with Marina Starmie, with Misty afterwards deciding to use his hyper beam to finish of match quickly. So how did Golduck other moves failed when he didn't even used them in last battle?

    Misty could have take credit if Misty capture & train it !
    But Misty didn't capture it. The only reason it listen to Misty because It has a soft place for cute girl.
    It probably realize that as long as it play along to be Misty's pokemon , It will get 2 girl attention .
    However , As soon as it spoted cuter girl , It ditch Misty & go to them .
    All that power Golduck got its from nature ! Not from Misty training however If she caught it she could take the credit because she was capable of capturing such a thing !
    Misty gets credit, because she was one who commanded attacks and what strategy to use against Marina. If Golduck battled by himself he could have very well lost as well, with Misty knowing what combination of attacks to use and what is going to work best.
    It was also established in same episode how Golduck didn't listened to Misty only because of wanting to get attention from girl, but also because he recognized Misty potential as trainer knowing that she is skilled and worthy enough to use him, getting his thrust. In order to achieve success in pokemon battle, there needs to be established thrust between pokemon and trainer working as one.

    Also before that we are forgetting that Misty Staryu defeated Marina Tentacruel.

    The only reason Misty won that cause Quilfish got stuck on its head , Not because of some briliant tactic !
    Even Misty herself was surprise by that because she never planned it ! It was Blind Luck !
    Than we could say same about Ash commanding Totodile to bite Kingdra mouth to prevent hydro pump to be fired, winning on sheer luck too.

    Luck plays part in every battle, but unlike it was case with Kingler and Psyduck luck wasn't main factor on which Misty win depended. During whole match Corsola and Quilfish were tied with recover restoring her pokemon energy giving it edge over Quilfish which accidentally got stuck in opponent horns with Misty using situation to her advantage scoring win.

    Speaking of Ash, lets not forget how Misty proved to be equally good trainer when she easily defeated his Totodile with Poliwhirl being more experienced in water pokemon battles.

    Corsola was hit by Gyarados Attack & fall under water ! However It didn't faint & when It suddenly attack Gyarados didn't able to move in time !
    I suggest to rewatch battle because Corsola evaded Gyarados attack by diving under water. She was never hit by his Hyperbeam,and if she did match would be over. Thanks to escaping his attack, Misty caught Gyarados of guard rightfully winning battle. Fact that only one Corsola spike cannon was enough to knock out Gyarados says a lot about pink coral pokemon strength.

    Since when Misty fought a Electric type ! The only one she ever battle was Pikachu.
    The only reason she won cause Pikachu couldn't hit Togepi !
    Misty only able to beat Grass type who happen to be far bellow level !
    However , She got beaten by a wild Macargo !
    I believe you misunderstood me. I wasn't taking about Misty battling grass or electric types but about her ability to use them. When she entered Kanto tournanent she borrowed electric type Pikachu, grass type Bulbasaur and fire type Vulpix proving that she knows how to battle and skillfully use different pokemon types more than well , despite never using anything else but water pokemon before that.

    Don't you find impressive that someone who lacked experience in using different types being primarily water specialist managed to command Ash and Brock pokemon in battle so well like they were hers?
    Something which isn't everyone capable of doing.

    As for Macargo, that was anything but ordinary wild pokemon defeating Egan Flareon too. If that was humiliating, than i guess we can say same about Dawn loss against Magikarp which is one of weakest pokemon to exist.

    But , She didn't even give her pokemon a chance ! (until Jessie was too much for her)
    Plus, The princess Festival suck's ! Any serious Female girl could have won !
    Just like I say , If Dawn , Zoey or Maylene was there then I think Misty would last a chance !
    Futher more, They would have beat her with their own pokemon !
    It always the same !
    Everytime Misty win , There always a catch !
    Yes she did, she used Psyduck against Jessie in finals blowing away her and Lickitung.Do i need to even remind how it was Jessie who was initially losing against Misty losing Arbok and Weezing before she made comeback with Lickitung which failed against her pokemon. Not Ash or Brock's.

    Princess festival wasn't weak tournament either with hundreds of girls entering it, being anything but easy to beat all of competitors and win.

    Dawn has less luck on her battle but Her team is way more powerful then Misty's !
    Misty might have a stronger team As a Gym leader but would you believe that !
    It really isn't, and Dawn never showed to be more knowledgeable and talented as trainer than Misty did. When taking in account how Misty has Starmie which is highly versatile and diverse, Gyarados which is one of strongest existing water pokemon, highly trained Politoad, Staryu or Corsola and Psyduck with massive psychic strength i can say im more impressed than i am with Dawn team with her best bets in reality being Mamoswine, Togekiss and Piplup.

    Im not only talking about her time as gym leader but when she traveled with Ash as well with coming top 8 in prestige water tournament, beating Andreas and fully evolved Poliwrath, having better success against gym leader Dorian than Ash did, showing high level of skill when battling Molly and powered up Mantine and kingdra standing on equal grounds , defeating older and more experienced trainers saying a lot about her strength as trainer.

    Misty maybe didn't battled often, but when she did she usually showed high level of knowledge with her pokemon being strong and full of determination.

    People can prefer Dawn, but Misty has great personality, good looks knowing how to show of full beauty when occasion demands, strong pokemon and high amount of knowledge and skill as trainer being more interesting, competent and unique in my opinion than Dawn was.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    I would hope peoples votes simply aren't based on nostalgia or shipping, but rather what they liked about the actual character.
    My reasons for preferring Misty over Dawn don't have anything to do with nostalgia though, let alone shipping. I prefer Misty simply because i think she had more vibrant personality showing more than one side to her with there existing perfect balance between tomboyish and girly side. Because i enjoyed more in her interactions with characters knowing how to add some spark to it, because she had good chemistry not only with Ash but Brock as well.

    Yes she got less focus and battles than Dawn did, but i actually preferred her battles because they usually delivered aside from intensiveness and action some great humor at times ,because when she was given chance to shine her moments were more fun to watch than Dawns. Like finding way of St. Anne ship, playing underwater ballet, flirting over gym leaders(Danny and Rudy), bringing in danger her life when trying to save Togepi from TR tank or jumping in river to save Marill in "For Crying Out Loud", standing up for weak like Timmy and his Eevee, Sakura, Marcellus and his Octillery etc.helping to fight for themselves.

    I also thought being one type trainer made her different and unique from other traveling companions and i preferred her pokemon like Psyduck, Poliwhirl, Staryu or Starmie more than i did Dawn Mamoswine, Pachirisu or Piplup.
    One of best things about Misty is that she wasn't afraid to speak out mind not letting anyone to take advantage from her.

    I did like Kanto/Orange Misty, but I'll give Dawn a slight edge for giving us some good battles and SOME funny moments. Even though I think both characters personalities became incredibly dull in the second half of their series.
    Misty had some good battles and plenty of funny moments as well. Also i disagree about last part because Misty was anything but boring with one of strongest points being exactly her personality remaining equally interesting more or less during whole her run.

    She was still feisty, spunky, girly and very versatile as character having several enjoyable traits and i liked way she developed growing from insecure girl which dealt with struggles in more mature, confident and tough character over 5 years she spent in cast and afterwards in Hoenn.

    After Kanto she had much more development growing in nice blend of playful, hotheaded and more mature and confident character, capturing Gyarados, gaining sisters respect getting over complex they imposed on her, getting cool pokemon like Poliwhirl or Corsola, her own arc in form of Whirl Islands, being more active as trainer instead of just standing aside cheering for Ash etc.

    I can say without hesitation how i enjoyed in Misty as character more after Kanto and OI gaining new dimensions while retaining fun traits ,with her growth being incomparably better.

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    I have honestly always preferred Misty. I know she gets a lot of flak from the fandom, but she's always been one of my favorite characters.
    Agreed.Misty has many great qualities as character, lot of unlocked potential contributing greatly to Ash development as trainer and anime in general having many amazing achievements there. She is imo best female companion we ever had with quality of someone not being measured through how much he does, but how significant accomplishments are when he does something.

  11. #11
    Child of the Atom Hellion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    The Danger Room
    Posts
    7,083
    Blog Entries
    43

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    I voted Dawn, though her character is not without flaws. I did find her personality flat at times even though she had some hilarious moments. That being said, what I really liked about Dawn was her story, how compelling it was and how easy it was to root for her, because a lot of her contest quest was her getting over self-confidence issues and trying to figure out how to be her own person and not just her mother's daughter. She had to work hard, train, and learn things the hard way to make it to the top, and I enjoyed following her on that journey. I liked most of her Pokémon (except Togekiss and Buneary not evolving) and she was involved in many good battles, and other competitions as well, so there are lots of episodes that made me really like and care about Dawn.

    Misty on the other hand, in my opinion, suffered from a lack of focus on herself as a character, it felt too often that she was there to be there. Her pokémon were really underused and not all that interesting, the very few episodes that focused on Misty being a Water trainer generally left me cold as well. While Misty consistently showed a strong personality and had some genuinely entertaining moments, you need more than that as a character and it did get very repetitive by the Orange Islands. There were some episodes that focused on Misty that I really liked, like the Misty Mermaid, but usually they were good because of something other than Misty, like her sisters who were really entertaining.

    In my opinion, Dawn was a good character that could've been better with more personality, while Misty had a good personality, but the lack of focus and lack of variety and depth regarding that personality really kept her from being a good character. So Dawn.

    Quote Originally Posted by Insanish Danish View Post
    EDIT: lolololol my hand slipped and I voted for Dawn by mistake. Whoops?
    That's not a mistake, that's your subconscious showing you the light. :P

  12. #12
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,327
    Blog Entries
    41

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    All she did is firing a hyper beam because all other Golduck move failed & Hyper beam was the last resort .
    Im not sure what are you talking about because Golduck didn't even used confusion and other techniques against Starmie like he did when defeating Marina Psyduck. All he did used before that was fury swipes clashing with Marina Starmie, with Misty afterwards deciding to use his hyper beam to finish of match quickly. So how did Golduck other moves failed when he didn't even used them in last battle?

    [tio
    Im not sure what are you talking about because Golduck didn't even used confusion and other techniques against Starmie like he did when defeating Marina Psyduck. All he did used before that was fury swipes clashing with Marina Starmie, with Misty afterwards deciding to use his hyper beam to finish of match quickly. So how did Golduck other moves failed when he didn't even used them in last battle?
    Ya , But she easily took less Damage from Starmie if she used Confusion from the begining !
    Just like I said , Hyper Beam was a Last resort Move for her !
    Misty gets credit, because she was one who commanded attacks and what strategy to use against Marina. If Golduck battled by himself he could have very well lost as well, with Misty knowing what combination of attacks to use and what is going to work best.
    It was also established in same episode how Golduck didn't listened to Misty only because of wanting to get attention from girl, but also because he recognized Misty potential as trainer knowing that she is skilled and worthy enough to use him, getting his thrust. In order to achieve success in pokemon battle, there needs to be established thrust between pokemon and trainer working as one.

    Also before that we are forgetting that Misty Staryu defeated Marina Tentacruel.
    What If It was Marina Who was controlling Golduck ?
    What If Marina's Psyduck was the one who get replace with Wild Golduck ?
    What If she was the winner ?
    Would you accept that ?
    Would you say that Battle count ?
    Be True to your heart because that time you would say that the battle doesn't count !
    You will believe that battle to be fair cause Misty was the one who won !
    Because Marina easily would have won if she was the One controlling Golduck !
    Both of Misty's Pokemon were out While Marina had 2 left ! Marina had a Psyduck with full control over her power while Misty's Psyduck need Headache to use its Psychic power & can't even launch a Water Gun ! (or Swim)
    If that Golduck didn't show up then Misty's defect was Inevitable !
    And Misty that time would have no chance against that Golduck !
    So At the end , The credit goes to that Golduck cause If Marina had it then she would easily wipe out Misty !
    And Misty control it no because she had some power to attract Golduck. It Because Golduck wanted all the Girl attention .
    If Marina Mistook It as her own Pokemon then it would have listen to her as well
    As long As It doesn't Spot hotter Girl !
    Than we could say same about Ash commanding Totodile to bite Kingdra mouth to prevent hydro pump to be fired, winning on sheer luck too.

    Luck plays part in every battle, but unlike it was case with Kingler and Psyduck luck wasn't main factor on which Misty win depended. During whole match Corsola and Quilfish were tied with recover restoring her pokemon energy giving it edge over Quilfish which accidentally got stuck in opponent horns with Misty using situation to her advantage scoring win.

    Speaking of Ash, lets not forget how Misty proved to be equally good trainer when she easily defeated his Totodile with Poliwhirl being more experienced in water pokemon battles.
    How even you compare that ????
    When Ash Command Totodile to bite Kingdra Month , He Planned that !
    However , Misty didn't even Planned for Quilfish to Stock on Corsola's head !
    It was nothing more then her Pure luck just like the case with her Psyduck vs Ash's Kragler !
    Misty herself was surprise too ! If Quilfish didn't use that move Then Wouldn't have stand a Chance !
    Her Poliwhirl battle with Totodile was the only fair battle she had in Whirl cup !
    As for Macargo, that was anything but ordinary wild pokemon defeating Egan Flareon too. If that was humiliating, than i guess we can say same about Dawn loss against Magikarp which is one of weakest pokemon to exist.
    May be you didn't watch that episode closely !
    It was the STRONGEST Magikarp in the World that can hold its Own against Ash's Pikachu !
    Dawn also was a Rocky back then as well but When Misty fought a Macargo , She was already a experience trainer !
    Yes she did, she used Psyduck against Jessie in finals blowing away her and Lickitung.Do i need to even remind how it was Jessie who was initially losing against Misty losing Arbok and Weezing before she made comeback with Lickitung which failed against her pokemon. Not Ash or Brock's.

    Princess festival wasn't weak tournament either with hundreds of girls entering it, being anything but easy to beat all of competitors and win.
    Princess festival was a tournament of weak girls !
    Most of them just wanted a Picture with a Movie star & treated there Pokemon As pet .
    Jessie who was incredibly weak in Original series able to become a finalist because of that !
    Honestly the only serious battler in that tournament was Misty & Jessie !
    One of them even start crying that her Dear pokemon is poisoned !
    It was Misty's luck that mostly Girly Girl enter that tournament !
    I mean , Even Cabernet can win that whole thing with Ash's Pokemon !
    It really isn't, and Dawn never showed to be more knowledgeable and talented as trainer than Misty did. When taking in account how Misty has Starmie which is highly versatile and diverse, Gyarados which is one of strongest existing water pokemon, highly trained Politoad, Staryu or Corsola and Psyduck with massive psychic strength i can say im more impressed than i am with Dawn team with her best bets in reality being Mamoswine, Togekiss and Piplup.

    Im not only talking about her time as gym leader but when she traveled with Ash as well with coming top 8 in prestige water tournament, beating Andreas and fully evolved Poliwrath, having better success against gym leader Dorian than Ash did, showing high level of skill when battling Molly and powered up Mantine and kingdra standing on equal grounds , defeating older and more experienced trainers saying a lot about her strength as trainer.

    Misty maybe didn't battled often, but when she did she usually showed high level of knowledge with her pokemon being strong and full of determination.

    People can prefer Dawn, but Misty has great personality, good looks knowing how to show of full beauty when occasion demands, strong pokemon and high amount of knowledge and skill as trainer being more interesting, competent and unique in my opinion than Dawn was.
    A Psyduck who can't swim & Can't use it's move without Psychic
    A Goldeen Who have never won a Battle
    A Starmie who get knock down by his opponent first Move
    A Politoad who lose's focus during battle & start clapping its hand
    A Horsey Who too weak to fight
    And you think , They are at the equal level with Dawn's Pokemon.
    Plus , Whenever Her Corsola fought A new Battle opponent , It follow the same Battle Pattern !
    1st, It get hit & almost unable to battle ,2nd The opponent let his guard down ,3rd Corsola surprise them with recovery ,4th Corsola hit them before they get ready.
    Too bad , This trick wouldn't work on same person twice & only effective against people who doesn't know about Corsola's recovery which is why Sakura beat it in her rematch !
    So what Misty's Psyduck has incredible Psychic power ? Does Misty has something to do with it ?
    NO , But If Misty Able to awaken it's full power then she could take credit for that !
    It's like Ash & Paul case with Chimchar ! Then both were its trainer but Ash able to awaken & improve Chimchar power while Paul failed at it.
    Awakening & Improving a pokemon power is A Trainer true job .
    But Misty's Pokemon remain the way they were before !
    Goldeen didn't won any Battle , Psyduck didn't learn to control its power , Startmie couldn't stand after hit by one move , Horsey keep remain in its low self-steam .
    Dawn had Pokemon with Problem Too but she manage to overcome it in one year while Misty Fail !
    I don't buy Writer less experience Crap !
    I believe , He just wanted Misty to be Ash's Cheer girl like Tori from Yugioh Zexal ! That why They didn't bother with Misty's Pokemon Improvement !
    Anyway , Traveling Misty is no match for Dawn However We Don't know the depth of Gym leader Misty's Power !
    After all , Psyduck didn't come out of its pokeball so ether Misty didn't bring it with her or It already evolve !
    Plus, Misty might somehow have a Milotic by now !
    So, It still have a fighting chance depending on her future appearance !
    I don't hope Writer keep her pokemon the same way Because They think Misty shouldn't be strong without traveling ! Trip being better then Ash is even more unlogical then Misty being stronger as gym leader .
    If Writer keep her the same way then I guess I have to come to Japan & Punch their face !


    PS : This is my LAST Quote to you so don't bother replying ! I don't want to start a Flame war !
    Last edited by garrison-san; 29th April 2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: f&b

  13. #13
    pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,685
    Blog Entries
    21

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    One of things i liked in Dawn story were rivals.Ursula was unique rival and her enviousness added that twist in plot no one expected.On bad side she was introduced too late not being used to full potential,which was downright shame because she was on of most intriguing rivals pokemon ever had.

    Some people may have found Zoey bland,but i beg to differ.Her tomboyish and arrogant persona in start gave life to rivalry she had with Dawn eventually becoming her mentor partially which guided her during whole quest giving tips and constructive criticism.This left good mark on Dawn character because thanks to Zoey arrogance and higher skill she had someone wanting to catch up with,serving as push and motivation to go forward paying of in end winning second place in GF.

    Kenny had something going on for him and shared past with Dawn already knowing her,and i liked chemistry they had. Too bad he wasn't focused on more.

    As for Misty i agree with others how she didn't got enough focus but given writers inexperience and formula which anime used to follow before, Misty got some great focus and development . Like providing humor and great chemistry between group, had several notable achievements and aside from battling did many other things which influenced plot in one way or another. I had no problems with her role in Kanto and OI, but in Johto writers really should have focused more on her story not being done as much as it was possible unfortunately.

    Personally i believe she was one of most complex characters we had too.She had sweet and sensitive but also hotheaded and bratty side with some balance being provided between it with character giving us often insight in personal struggles.
    Later down the road as she started to gradually mature,different sides of personality and quirks were revealed showing that character had much more to it than only temper gaining with time more substance.

    Development didn't happened on consistent basis like it was case with May and Dawn, but Misty got some great growth since Kanto days both as person and trainer .Especially in Master Quest starting from Whirl Cup being followed up with some cool stuff happening in Hoenn. Second half of Johto and AG were definitely among highlights of Misty character.

    Out of pokemon i liked Psyduck, Corsola and Staryu the most(Gyarados too, if counting AG). Admittedly having Staryu and its evolved form was strange but i found this interesting and unique, and it made kinda sense too since they are her signature pokemon in games.

    Personally im interested in seeing both Misty and Dawn again. It would be nice to get some info on Dawn travels in Hoenn, what might have changed etc. Sam for Misty being welcomed to get some update how much she improved, if she made some progress toward her goal etc.

    Both characters have potential to offer more to show. Some more, some less but that's beside the point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kishore View Post
    Ya , But she easily took less Damage from Starmie if she used Confusion from the begining !
    Just like I said , Hyper Beam was a Last resort Move for her !
    That doesn't make any sense. So whenever someone use Hyperbeam it means how he is using last resort?
    It would have been last resort if Misty used other Golduck moves proving to not be effective against Starmie. But she didn't, using Hyperbeam because she found it was most optimal move to finish of match quickly, not giving chance to opponent to regroup.

    What If It was Marina Who was controlling Golduck ?
    What If Marina's Psyduck was the one who get replace with Wild Golduck ?
    What If she was the winner ?
    Would you accept that ?
    Would you say that Battle count ?
    Be True to your heart because that time you would say that the battle doesn't count !
    You will believe that battle to be fair cause Misty was the one who won !
    Because Marina easily would have won if she was the One controlling Golduck !
    Both of Misty's Pokemon were out While Marina had 2 left ! Marina had a Psyduck with full control over her power while Misty's Psyduck need Headache to use its Psychic power & can't even launch a Water Gun ! (or Swim)
    If that Golduck didn't show up then Misty's defect was Inevitable !
    And Misty that time would have no chance against that Golduck !
    So At the end , The credit goes to that Golduck cause If Marina had it then she would easily wipe out Misty !
    And Misty control it no because she had some power to attract Golduck. It Because Golduck wanted all the Girl attention .
    If Marina Mistook It as her own Pokemon then it would have listen to her as well
    As long As It doesn't Spot hotter Girl !
    If Marina controlled wild Golduck which listened , her win over Misty would be fair as well since it would serve as proof to her knowledge about water types and skill, knowing what strategy and attacks to use. If Misty wasn't skilled not using most optimal strategy she would have still lost against Marina regardless of Golduck strength.

    Good example is Brock whose skills got rusty due to passiveness and lack of training with easy lose vs inspector Joy in DP special being reflect of that.

    So credit goes to Misty because it was her merit for winning battle using better strategy, since she was one which decided which attacks to use. And i suggest you to watch episode again, because it was stated how Golduck wouldn't choose Misty if it didn't had thrust in her as trainer recognizing that she has required skill to use him.


    How even you compare that ????
    When Ash Command Totodile to bite Kingdra Month , He Planned that !
    However , Misty didn't even Planned for Quilfish to Stock on Corsola's head !
    It was nothing more then her Pure luck just like the case with her Psyduck vs Ash's Kragler !
    Misty herself was surprise too ! If Quilfish didn't use that move Then Wouldn't have stand a Chance !
    Her Poliwhirl battle with Totodile was the only fair battle she had in Whirl cup !
    Doesn't change fact that luck was involved , since many things could have gotten wrong not being known if trainer will command Kingdra hydro pump again. In other words, Ash gambled.

    Also how exactly Misty win was pure luck? You would have a point if Misty couldn't have won any other way, but that's far from true. If Quilfish used water gun, Misty could have used mirror coat, since Corsola used recover even if Quilfish tackle was successful it wouldn't knock it down. And for spike cannon it would require some time before being ready to fill itself with water, and Corsola could have used spike cannon again as well.

    Corsola had advantage over Quilfish thanks to better defensive move set giving her edge, with Misty winning it fairly.


    May be you didn't watch that episode closely !
    It was the STRONGEST Magikarp in the World that can hold its Own against Ash's Pikachu !
    Dawn also was a Rocky back then as well but When Misty fought a Macargo , She was already a experience trainer !
    Being strongest equals only slightly better than your average Magikarp with his stats and strength being nothing to write home about. When looking at poor move set like splash, flail or tackle Dawn or Ash lose was more humiliating than Misty against wild Macargo. Which was bigger and stronger than your average wild Macargo giving hard time to Egan Flareon too until Misty advice helped him to develop new strategy.

    Princess festival was a tournament of weak girls !
    Most of them just wanted a Picture with a Movie star & treated there Pokemon As pet .
    Jessie who was incredibly weak in Original series able to become a finalist because of that !
    Honestly the only serious battler in that tournament was Misty & Jessie !
    One of them even start crying that her Dear pokemon is poisoned !
    It was Misty's luck that mostly Girly Girl enter that tournament !
    I mean , Even Cabernet can win that whole thing with Ash's Pokemon !
    That's just your presumption, trying to imply how being girly equals weak trainer. Going by that conclusion since Dawn is by nature girly girl too, should we say how she is bad at battling too?

    Princess festival tournament had big competition with there existing hundred of various competitors wanting to win that doll set at any cost. Even Misty said how hard is to be owner of one, being very important for her to win it at any cost hence reason why she entered it in first place and choose most stable team.

    Passing all rounds and coming on top wasn't easy task and reason why Jessie came far as well was because she is stronger as trainer than some may think. Whenever Jessi and James battled other trainers not going after Ash and chasing Pikachu they had impressive success. Like when James being convinced how he is Moltres in "Fortune Hunters"dominating with Vicreebel over Butch and Cassidy, when he entered poke ringer, when Jessie started doing contests qualifying for DP Grand Festival etc.

    Their defeats against Pikachu are not valid indication to go by how competent as trainers they are.

    A Psyduck who can't swim & Can't use it's move without Psychic
    A Goldeen Who have never won a Battle
    A Starmie who get knock down by his opponent first Move
    A Politoad who lose's focus during battle & start clapping its hand
    A Horsey Who too weak to fight
    And you think , They are at the equal level with Dawn's Pokemon.
    Psyduck which never lost any battle, being capable of knocking down opponent with just one hit. Goldeen was rarely used being present in only 2 to 3 battles where it was used, so bad win -lose record was nothing surprising. About Starmie that's not true at all, only once he was finish by just one hit being from Giselle GRaveller breaking its gem. When battling others like Ash for instance he was hit by gust of wind, being followed by wing attack and when Pidgeotto finally used whirlwind causing Starmie core to glow pokemon still wasn't knocked down.

    As for Politoad that's just a gimmick created for comedy purposes, not having any bearing on Politoad strength, It has same power as your typical evolved Poliwrath being alternate evolution form of Poliwhirl which retained same level of experience and strength becoming even stronger than Misty Poliwhirl was. When he battled brother trio his clapping didn't stand in way of battling and defeating their Hitmonchan, so you can't describe that as negative side of him.

    Horsea was baby pokemon whose first battle was in Cerulean gym where he was left immediately afterwards. We don't know for what he was capable of never having chance to be used to full potential so that's invalid argument.

    Out of MIsty pokemon excluding Goldeen and Horsea, all other pokemon seem more impressive to m than Dawn team. Mamoswine ad Togekiss arevdecent, Piplup is good too, and same gos for Quilava, BUt Pachirusu and BUneary arent some particularly social nor that much strong.

    When looking at Misty Gyarados which is one of strongest water pokemon and its move set like flamethrower, hyper beam, protect or whirlpool already in itself make Misty team look better in comparison with some of aforementioned pokemon. Staryu proved to be one of strongest and most experienced Misty pokemon being often used already showing its strength when battling Marina Tentacruel in OI defeating it with one attack or when battling Molly upgraded Mantine in third movie holding its ground.
    Politoad is one of Misty powerhouses being alternate fully evolved form of Poliwhirl proving its worth in several battles during Johto. Corsola is one of most used and best Misty battlers having more wins than loses at this point showing how strong and successful combination of her defensive and offensive techniques can be.

    Plus , Whenever Her Corsola fought A new Battle opponent , It follow the same Battle Pattern !
    1st, It get hit & almost unable to battle ,2nd The opponent let his guard down ,3rd Corsola surprise them with recovery ,4th Corsola hit them before they get ready.
    Too bad , This trick wouldn't work on same person twice & only effective against people who doesn't know about Corsola's recovery which is why Sakura beat it in her rematch !
    Last time i checked Corsola win against Quilfish wasn't on surprising opponent through recover with Harrison being prepared after that. Same goes for Trinity Gyarados against who recover wasn't needed, or Butch and Cassidy Sableye and Houndoom.

    Awakening & Improving a pokemon power is A Trainer true job .
    But Misty's Pokemon remain the way they were before !
    Not true at all. Anyone can notice that Misty pokemon with time improved and get stronger. With Staryu it can be noticed in Johto and onwards that it became more resistant with his attack power being significantly increased. Evidence can be found in strength of its water gun for example almost defeating Ash Chikorita if she didn't dig her heels in ground and somehow stayed in game. Or when Molly Mantine used combination of whirlpool and bubblebeam with Staryu taking hit and getting himself out of it by using rapid spin in opposite direction which was Misty merit.

    Sam goes for Poliwhirl who had confidence issues with Misty helping him in battle against Andreas Poliwrath to stand up for himself regaining back self esteem being able to defeat evolutionary form despite all odds.

    Sam gos for Corsola which was able to take more before resorting to recover as it can be noticed in chronicles when battling Sakura or Georgio with people commenting how her Corsola improved a lot more since last time.

    Misty maybe still had long way to go as trainer with there definitely existing room for improvement, but way in which she interacted with water types earning their trust(referring to Gyarados)or when encouraging them to restore confidence back(referring to Poliwhirl)showed that her character has predispositions and potential which someone needs to make a name for itself.

    She maybe didn't had luxury to have many battles like Ash or some other characters did but basing on what we saw she was certainly not some low class rookie being skilled as water trainer laving positive impressions on many other trainers(especially when battling in her own element water).

    p.s. I don't intend to continue on with discussion either, and while i can see your point about Misty not getting enough screen time and development i disagree about her skills as trainer being weaker than Dawn showing more experience and knowledge. In Contests Dawn would without doubt have upper hand, but in trainer battles there is no chance Misty is weaker.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 29th April 2012 at 03:06 PM.

  14. #14
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    I am going to choose Dawn because for one thing: She is not bossy.

  15. #15
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Misty Vs. Dawn

    Misty for me. Legend! Never took crap from Ash at all. ;)

    Dawn's actually pretty cool, but I don't like her as much as Misty's hot-tempered attitude and yet how sweet she was as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •