CONTEST: Misty or Iris? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Who?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

    38 76.00%
  • Iris

    12 24.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 57
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Misty or Iris?

  1. #31
    The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Misty wasn't even at the Gym when we first saw her. She was fishing near Pallet town, she probably ran away from the Gym as she was tired of her sisters and didn't battle challengers there. Nothing said in those early episodes made it seem like Misty battled challengers regularly. I think Ash was the first one she ever battled in a Gyn match.

    You claim Misty is a better trainer, but there are no examples. None of Misty's early Kanto battles come off as impressive, her Starmie loses to a Graveler in the Poketech ep, and then she hardly battles any other trainers besides TR.

    While Misty did improve at battling in Johto, she certainly didn't come across as strong in Kanto. Ash nearly beat her in the Gym as Starmie was on the verge of losing energy before TR came.

    As for Excadrill does it not seem more powerful than either Staryu or Starmie early on? Starmie was losing to Pidgeotto who Ash just captured like 4 episodes prior.
    That entire first paragraph was an assumption. An assumption I kinda doubt is true.

    There are plenty of reasons why Misty is a better trainer. In the world of Pokemon, you should know that being a good trainer has not just to do with how many battles you win, but how good you are with your Pokemon, which you seem to have ignored in my last response about Iris. She was unable to see that Excadrill was in pain and ended up shattering his confidence. She caught Emolga, but couldn't get it to listen. She caught Dragonite and couldn't control it. Her last Dragon-type is little more than a hair accessory. She cannot get control over her Pokemon, a skill necessary to be a good trainer.

    Misty's Pokemon have never had that issue. She is better at understanding them than Iris is. It doesn't matter which Pokemon is "more powerful".

  2. #32
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Misty wasn't even at the Gym when we first saw her. She was fishing near Pallet town, she probably ran away from the Gym as she was tired of her sisters and didn't battle challengers there. Nothing said in those early episodes made it seem like Misty battled challengers regularly. I think Ash was the first one she ever battled in a Gyn match.

    You claim Misty is a better trainer, but there are no examples. None of Misty's early Kanto battles come off as impressive, her Starmie loses to a Graveler in the Poketech ep, and then she hardly battles any other trainers besides TR.

    While Misty did improve at battling in Johto, she certainly didn't come across as strong in Kanto. Ash nearly beat her in the Gym as Starmie was on the verge of losing energy before TR came.

    As for Excadrill does it not seem more powerful than either Staryu or Starmie early on? Starmie was losing to Pidgeotto who Ash just captured like 4 episodes prior.
    That entire first paragraph was an assumption. An assumption I kinda doubt is true.

    There are plenty of reasons why Misty is a better trainer. In the world of Pokemon, you should know that being a good trainer has not just to do with how many battles you win, but how good you are with your Pokemon, which you seem to have ignored in my last response about Iris. She was unable to see that Excadrill was in pain and ended up shattering his confidence. She caught Emolga, but couldn't get it to listen. She caught Dragonite and couldn't control it. Her last Dragon-type is little more than a hair accessory. She cannot get control over her Pokemon, a skill necessary to be a good trainer.

    Misty's Pokemon have never had that issue. She is better at understanding them than Iris is. It doesn't matter which Pokemon is "more powerful".
    So you think just because Misty didn't have a pokemon that refused to obey her that she was a better trainer? That has nothing to do with the trainer itself but the Pokemon's personality. We've had Ash and Dawn with disobedient Pokemon too.

    And what examples are there of Misty understanding her pokemon other than Psyduck who she was often frustrated with? Staryu, Starmie and Goldeen had no personality and Poliwhirl was the only other one she worked with.

    Do you have any examples of Misty being a strong trainer prior to mid/late Johto? In Kanto it seemed like Misty was barely above the level of Ash.

  3. #33
    The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    So you think just because Misty didn't have a pokemon that refused to obey her that she was a better trainer? That has nothing to do with the trainer itself but the Pokemon's personality. We've had Ash and Dawn with disobedient Pokemon too.

    And what examples are there of Misty understanding her pokemon other than Psyduck who she was often frustrated with? Staryu, Starmie and Goldeen had no personality and Poliwhirl was the only other one she worked with.

    Do you have any examples of Misty being a strong trainer prior to mid/late Johto? In Kanto it seemed like Misty was barely above the level of Ash.
    Basically. The fact that she hasn't had that issue shows that she's a good trainer. In fact, she did have a Pokemon who disobeyed her: Gyarados. And it took her far less time to gain control over it than it's taken Iris to get control over anything. And it most certainly has to do with the trainer. A good trainer is able to control their own Pokemon. Ash and Dawn have nothing to do with this.

    She generally understood her Pokemon better. Even if she did get frustrated, she understood it and found was to work around it's general uselessness and making it very useful. Are you telling me that Iris never got frustrated at Emolga, Excadrill, or Dragonite?

    And the whole question was who I liked better. I never said I liked her because she was stronger, but because I felt she was a better trainer. I was just giving my opinion.
    pokemon fan 132 likes this.

  4. #34
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    So you think just because Misty didn't have a pokemon that refused to obey her that she was a better trainer? That has nothing to do with the trainer itself but the Pokemon's personality. We've had Ash and Dawn with disobedient Pokemon too.

    And what examples are there of Misty understanding her pokemon other than Psyduck who she was often frustrated with? Staryu, Starmie and Goldeen had no personality and Poliwhirl was the only other one she worked with.

    Do you have any examples of Misty being a strong trainer prior to mid/late Johto? In Kanto it seemed like Misty was barely above the level of Ash.
    Basically. The fact that she hasn't had that issue shows that she's a good trainer. In fact, she did have a Pokemon who disobeyed her: Gyarados. And it took her far less time to gain control over it than it's taken Iris to get control over anything. And it most certainly has to do with the trainer. A good trainer is able to control their own Pokemon. Ash and Dawn have nothing to do with this.

    She generally understood her Pokemon better. Even if she did get frustrated, she understood it and found was to work around it's general uselessness and making it very useful. Are you telling me that Iris never got frustrated at Emolga, Excadrill, or Dragonite?

    And the whole question was who I liked better. I never said I liked her because she was stronger, but because I felt she was a better trainer. I was just giving my opinion.
    So Misty had less problems with her pokemon because the writers had no storylines for them. Psyduck was more comic relief than a real problem for Misty to overcome.

    Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?

  5. #35
    The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    So Misty had less problems with her pokemon because the writers had no storylines for them. Psyduck was more comic relief than a real problem for Misty to overcome.

    Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?
    That's beside the point.

    To be honest, I haven't seen the Johto series in a long time. I couldn't give you a good answer. From what I remember she fared pretty well as a character in Johto. Poliwhirl evolved and she caught Corsola. Sorry, but I don't remember much from Johto...(which is ironic considering how it has my favorite theme song.)

  6. #36
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    [QUOTE=Team Gaara;4683289]
    So Misty had less problems with her pokemon because the writers had no storylines for them. Psyduck was more comic relief than a real problem for Misty to overcome.

    Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?[/QUOT

    That's beside the point.

    To be honest, I haven't seen the Johto series in a long time. I couldn't give you a good answer. From what I remember she fared pretty well as a character in Johto. Poliwhirl evolved and she caught Corsola. Sorry, but I don't remember much from Johto...(which is ironic considering how it has my favorite theme song.)
    Even if you don't remember it, I don't see how capturing one pokemon over an entire arc and getting two evo's for the same pokemon is faring well in terms of her team.

  7. #37
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Misty wasn't a Gym Leader until she left at the original series. Given the skills she showed during Kanto, or the whole original series for that matter, the Pokemon she had with her when she first appeared and how she acted during some of those Chronicles specials where she tried to run the Gym, there's really no indication that she was a Gym Leader or any reason to think that she was one at that point in my opinion. She only battled Ash because of how her sisters couldn't. I don't think her team was handled that well given how most of them faded into the background, weren't really that strong and there wasn't much of any growth for them, but I'd take that over Pokemon getting upgrades out of nowhere and being overpowered without any kind of training to glorify the trainer like they've don with Iris.

  8. #38
    The Deceiver Pokemon Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    1,545
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    [QUOTE=The Fighting Misty;4683664]
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    So Misty had less problems with her pokemon because the writers had no storylines for them. Psyduck was more comic relief than a real problem for Misty to overcome.

    Aside from their pokemon, how do you feel about Misty and her handling in the series? What did you think of how they handled her in Johto?[/QUOT

    That's beside the point.

    To be honest, I haven't seen the Johto series in a long time. I couldn't give you a good answer. From what I remember she fared pretty well as a character in Johto. Poliwhirl evolved and she caught Corsola. Sorry, but I don't remember much from Johto...(which is ironic considering how it has my favorite theme song.)
    Even if you don't remember it, I don't see how capturing one pokemon over an entire arc and getting two evo's for the same pokemon is faring well in terms of her team.
    Well...I guess she didn't fare well in terms of her team.

  9. #39
    Find me on Serebii Forums Ash Ketchum!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I also think her Axew is adorable, even if he was weak at first. But he got strong. This little guy knows moves like Giga Impact and Outrage, damn it. He could even do some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp for god's sake.
    That's part of the reason people don't like her. Iris's pokemon are just pulling moves out of nowhere. And there is absolutely NO way Axew should even be able to damage Garchomp, especially with how drastic the difference between their experience levels are.

  10. #40
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,156
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I also think her Axew is adorable, even if he was weak at first. But he got strong. This little guy knows moves like Giga Impact and Outrage, damn it. He could even do some damage to Cynthia's Garchomp for god's sake.
    That's part of the reason people don't like her. Iris's pokemon are just pulling moves out of nowhere. And there is absolutely NO way Axew should even be able to damage Garchomp, especially with how drastic the difference between their experience levels are.
    She was too mean to you until recently, bro. You shouldn't have been called a little kid so much. She's the little kid...:D.
    Ash Ketchum! likes this.

  11. #41
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    In terms of Misty's Pokemon I really only felt Psyduck and Poliwhirl were interesting. Staryu/Starmie/Goldeen were really just there because of the games but they obviously had no personality and couldn't be developed.

    Horsea could have been interesting but it was dropped in early Kanto after like 2 appearances. Then Togepi sits in Misty's arms for all of Johto.

    Its no surprise people liked Poliwhirl so much, it was like her only other interesting pokemon at the time.

  12. #42
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    In terms of Misty's Pokemon I really only felt Psyduck and Poliwhirl were interesting. Staryu/Starmie/Goldeen were really just there because of the games but they obviously had no personality and couldn't be developed.

    Horsea could have been interesting but it was dropped in early Kanto after like 2 appearances. Then Togepi sits in Misty's arms for all of Johto.

    Its no surprise people liked Poliwhirl so much, it was like her only other interesting pokemon at the time.
    Psyduck could have been a lot more interesting if it was actually trained and not just used a comedy relief. Horsea really could have been good since its capture episode was pretty good and seeing it evolve into a Kingdra would have been awesome, but that unfortunately didn't happen. Politoad was probably the best battler she had and Corsola seemed okay, even though I never understood why she would want it. A Chinchou would have been so much better. As for Togepi, it sat in Misty's arms throughout the later parts of Kanto and all of the Orange Islands too. That didn't start in Johto. Even with how weak and forgetting Misty's team was, that's still better than giving them upgrades out of nowhere to make them, and by extension her, look a lot stronger than they actually were. It's certainly less annoying.

  13. #43
    Secret Sword of Justice Kelleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    2,998
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum! View Post
    That's part of the reason people don't like her. Iris's pokemon are just pulling moves out of nowhere. And there is absolutely NO way Axew should even be able to damage Garchomp, especially with how drastic the difference between their experience levels are.
    Hey, I DID say he learned the moves a little early for my tastes. But I still liked seeing the little guy grow stronger. And it isn't like he damaged Garchomp much. Also, ever think that Iris could've trained Axew off screen?

  14. #44
    Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Somewhere dreaming forever
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    Hey, I DID say he learned the moves a little early for my tastes. But I still liked seeing the little guy grow stronger. And it isn't like he damaged Garchomp much. Also, ever think that Iris could've trained Axew off screen?
    It was still kind of ridiculous for Giga Impact to damage Garchomp when Dragon Rage did absolutely nothing, even though Dragon type moves are super effective. Not to mention it still came out of nowhere. It's also pretty unlikely that Iris did train Axew off-screen when it does so poorly in most of its battles. If Iris did train Axew more off-screen, then I think we would see more indication of that through the few battles it has. Learning Outrage and Giga Impact aren't really good indications of that when Axew only learns those overpowered moves when its pushed into a corner and on the verge of defeat.
    Shinneth and Ash Ketchum! like this.

  15. #45
    Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kentucky. The boonies.
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Meh. I never cared much for Misty.

    But I openly detest Iris. Iris actually impedes my ability to enjoy the show. Her catchphrase is annoying and not funny at all (especially since there's no variations of it so it gets really fucking redundant really fucking fast), they give her the biggest bullshit backstory ever to hype up that "child prodigy" aspect of her character, but then she usually just dicks around and no one calls her out on her bullshit. Even Misty was told to calm the fuck down whenever she was being a bitch - Iris gets away with needlessly being a bitch every time. They regress Ash's character just to give Iris an excuse to abuse her catchphrase. They hand Iris massive rewards on a silver platter for doing nothing. Her "problems" with her Pokemon hardly qualify as actual problems besides Dragonite, and are resolved in a very anticlimactic way.

    At least with Misty there wasn't a fuckton of hype built around her character where she was given a backstory that made her a super special snowflake, and she wasn't rewarded for doing nothing. She even lost a tournament she was most justified to win (Whirl Cup), whereas Iris had nearly nothing to do with the first Don Battle but won anyway. And Misty wasn't gifted with a dozen superhuman abilities like climbing trees like a boss, massively enhanced senses, and literally being able to read a Pokemon's mind just by touching the damn thing. No, Misty didn't have any of that. Thus, she was significantly much less annoying and less obtrusive.

    Oh yeah, and Misty's Pokemon didn't fit the criteria of babby Pokemon who can't fight worth a shit yet pulls stupidly powerful moves out of its ass at just the right moment. Or Pokemon who aren't suited to take a massive beating that ignore their character quirks for the sake of Iris that have abilities that kick in just at the right moment. Or Pokemon that can take multiple hits of a type it has a quadruple weakness to and not even flinch.

    Iris actually made me appreciate Misty in a small sort of way. A reminder that despite my distaste of Misty, it could always be much much much worse.

    Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •