CONTEST: Misty or Iris? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Who?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

    38 76.00%
  • Iris

    12 24.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 57

Thread: Misty or Iris?

  1. #16
    Bonded Forever Misty Calls Masquerain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Cerulean Gym, missing Ash and Brock
    Posts
    398
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Misty Calls Masquerain View Post
    Misty!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    Who cares? Both are quite awful.
    That's your OPINION, not a FACT.
    It is your OPINION that my OPINION is not FACT.

    Anyway, I think Iris is a better character though that isn't exactly me praising Iris either..
    that made NO sense.

    If you think a character is bad, it's an opinion. A fact would be something more like *I don't like this person*.

  2. #17
    You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,064
    Blog Entries
    796

    Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    This thread's to say which one you like more, not to argue about how a person presented their opinion or whatever you want to call it. The thread's about choosing between Iris and Misty.

    Further, don't just go into a thread and say "they're both awful." This may be a Contest thread, but you still have to put thought into your posts, explain your answer. And obviously, people do care about it. So if you're just going into a thread to insult the characters and not add to the thread beyond that, it's better not to post at all.
    Team Fairy

    Sprites from Serebii.net

  3. #18
    Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where I'm needed
    Posts
    4,580
    Blog Entries
    169

    Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Oh alright.

    I don't like either of them. Misty is the typical tsundere has little characterization beyond the stereotype associated with the character archetype.

    Meanwhile, Iris is dangerously close to being a Creator's Pet. Not quite there yet but she's close.

    Neither are great characters but I despise tsunderes with a burning passion so I consider Iris the 'better' character, whatever that amounts to.

  4. #19
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,338
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Misty has always been my favorite female in the series and I guess I'd call Iris my second favorite then, because I find May and Dawn extremely annoying.

    I'd obviously have to say then, that I prefer Misty if for no other reason than that she's a better trainer and actually has skill in battle. Iris is all talk most of the time and yes, while she has won some battles, she just acts as if she's so great when her Axew has barely improved since the first episode, and her remaining Pokemon have generally ignored her.

    Misty had good Pokemon: Starmie, Staryu, Goldeen, Gyarados, Politoed, Corsola, Psyduck....hell, even Togepi was more useful than Axew before it even evolved. And speaking of her Pokemon, she's ACTUALLY working on her goal to be a water-type master. Iris has two dragon-types out of her four Pokemon: one of them doesn't listen and the other never fights. I'm starting to question how serious Iris is about being a dragon-master.
    Last edited by Team Gaara; 29th March 2013 at 09:05 AM.

  5. #20

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Misty has always been my favorite female in the series and I guess I'd call Iris my second favorite then, because I find May and Dawn extremely annoying

    I'd obviously have to say then, that I prefer Misty if for no other reason than that she's a better trainer and actually has skill in battle. Iris is all talk most of the time and yes, while she has won some battles, she just acts as if she's so great when her Axew has barely improved since the first episode, and her remaining Pokemon have generally ignored her
    Iris' Excadrill is very powerful, so I don't know where you get that idea from.

  6. #21
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,338
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Misty has always been my favorite female in the series and I guess I'd call Iris my second favorite then, because I find May and Dawn extremely annoying

    I'd obviously have to say then, that I prefer Misty if for no other reason than that she's a better trainer and actually has skill in battle. Iris is all talk most of the time and yes, while she has won some battles, she just acts as if she's so great when her Axew has barely improved since the first episode, and her remaining Pokemon have generally ignored her
    Iris' Excadrill is very powerful, so I don't know where you get that idea from.
    I didn't say it wasn't powerful. I said it ignored her for a while.

  7. #22

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't powerful. I said it ignored her for a while.
    So you're saying Iris ignores her pokemon for a while, yet the majority of Misty's Pokemon hardly battled for long chunks at a time? You do realize Iris has more on-screen battles than Misty if you compare their first 120 episodes together?

  8. #23
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,338
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I didn't say it wasn't powerful. I said it ignored her for a while.
    So you're saying Iris ignores her pokemon for a while, yet the majority of Misty's Pokemon hardly battled for long chunks at a time? You do realize Iris has more on-screen battles than Misty if you compare their first 120 episodes together?
    I'm not saying Iris ignores her Pokemon, I'm saying Iris's Pokemon are disobedient. And even if she did have more battles, Misty didn't have that same problem.

  9. #24

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I'm not saying Iris ignores her Pokemon, I'm saying Iris's Pokemon are disobedient. And even if she did have more battles, Misty didn't have that same problem.
    What does that have to do with anything? Misty's Pokemon were either incompetent at battling (Togepi, Psyduck), or were unuseable outside of water like Goldeen and Horsea.

    The difference between the two is Misty never really made an effort to train her pokemon. She never could control Psyduck's power and didn't seem to care. Likewise she mothered Togepi so much that it virtually never battled even when it started to show signs of using attacks. Her only decent battler at the time was Staryu until she got Poliwhirl.

  10. #25
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,338
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I'm not saying Iris ignores her Pokemon, I'm saying Iris's Pokemon are disobedient. And even if she did have more battles, Misty didn't have that same problem.
    What does that have to do with anything? Misty's Pokemon were either incompetent at battling (Togepi, Psyduck), or were unuseable outside of water like Goldeen and Horsea.

    The difference between the two is Misty never really made an effort to train her pokemon. She never could control Psyduck's power and didn't seem to care. Likewise she mothered Togepi so much that it virtually never battled even when it started to show signs of using attacks. Her only decent battler at the time was Staryu until she got Poliwhirl.
    I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that those Pokemon listened to her. 3/4 of Iris's Pokemon ignored her. I was saying that in my opinion, Misty is a better trainer.

    In regards to Psyduck, Misty may not have been able to necessarily control his powers, but she at least made an effort to try to understand them. Don't you remember her constantly trying to give him a headache? She knew her Pokemon's abilities.

    And wouldn't you say that Iris mothers Axew? She uses Emolga, Excadrill, and Dragonite far more than him.

  11. #26

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I'm not saying Iris ignores her Pokemon, I'm saying Iris's Pokemon are disobedient. And even if she did have more battles, Misty didn't have that same problem.
    What does that have to do with anything? Misty's Pokemon were either incompetent at battling (Togepi, Psyduck), or were unuseable outside of water like Goldeen and Horsea.

    The difference between the two is Misty never really made an effort to train her pokemon. She never could control Psyduck's power and didn't seem to care. Likewise she mothered Togepi so much that it virtually never battled even when it started to show signs of using attacks. Her only decent battler at the time was Staryu until she got Poliwhirl.
    I know, but the point I'm trying to make is that those Pokemon listened to her. 3/4 of Iris's Pokemon ignored her. I was saying that in my opinion, Misty is a better trainer.

    In regards to Psyduck, Misty may not have been able to necessarily control his powers, but she at least made an effort to try to understand them. Don't you remember her constantly trying to give him a headache? She knew her Pokemon's abilities.

    And wouldn't you say that Iris mothers Axew? She uses Emolga, Excadrill, and Dragonite far more than him.
    In terms of being a trainer Iris is far more battle oriented than Misty was. Iris already competed in 3 tournaments in just 100 episodes, for Misty it took her entire 270 run just to do that.

    I also don't think you remember how rarely Misty battled in the original series. She very rarely battled other trainers aside from a few instances and wasn't involved in any major tournament till the Whirl cup. Whenever she tried to battle the writers turned it into a gag fight with Psyduck just getting a headache. It wasn't until she got Poliwhirl and Corsola that she started battling a bit more but that was halfway into Johto.

  12. #27
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,338
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    In terms of being a trainer Iris is far more battle oriented than Misty was. Iris already competed in 3 tournaments in just 100 episodes, for Misty it took her entire 270 run just to do that.

    I also don't think you remember how rarely Misty battled in the original series. She very rarely battled other trainers aside from a few instances and wasn't involved in any major tournament till the Whirl cup. Whenever she tried to battle the writers turned it into a gag fight with Psyduck just getting a headache. It wasn't until she got Poliwhirl and Corsola that she started battling a bit more but that was halfway into Johto.
    Misty is a gym leader. I would think she's more battle oriented just because of that. Also, this series is far more tournament heavy than the original series was, so it makes sense that Iris would have entered more tournaments. And why are the number of tournaments participated in relevant to how good of a trainer she is anyway? Regardless of how many tournaments she has entered, Misty was still a better trainer.

    And Iris doesn't battle that much either. She pretty much only battles in tournaments.

  13. #28

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    In terms of being a trainer Iris is far more battle oriented than Misty was. Iris already competed in 3 tournaments in just 100 episodes, for Misty it took her entire 270 run just to do that.

    I also don't think you remember how rarely Misty battled in the original series. She very rarely battled other trainers aside from a few instances and wasn't involved in any major tournament till the Whirl cup. Whenever she tried to battle the writers turned it into a gag fight with Psyduck just getting a headache. It wasn't until she got Poliwhirl and Corsola that she started battling a bit more but that was halfway into Johto.
    Misty is a gym leader. I would think she's more battle oriented just because of that. Also, this series is far more tournament heavy than the original series was, so it makes sense that Iris would have entered more tournaments. And why are the number of tournaments participated in relevant to how good of a trainer she is anyway? Regardless of how many tournaments she has entered, Misty was still a better trainer.

    And Iris doesn't battle that much either. She pretty much only battles in tournaments.
    What does Misty being a Gym leader have to do with it? She only had 3 pokemon to begin with and didn't battle challengers in the Gym at all. I think Ash was the first person she ever battled at the Gym.

    Likewise its pretty obvious from watching Excadrill vs. Pikachu that Iris has a lot more knowledge of battling at the start compared to Misty vs. Ash in Kanto.

  14. #29
    Nowi Wins! Team Gaara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Sand Village
    Posts
    2,338
    Blog Entries
    10

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    What does Misty being a Gym leader have to do with it? She only had 3 pokemon to begin with and didn't battle challengers in the Gym at all. I think Ash was the first person she ever battled at the Gym.

    Likewise its pretty obvious from watching Excadrill vs. Pikachu that Iris has a lot more knowledge of battling at the start compared to Misty vs. Ash in Kanto.
    You said Iris was more battle oriented. The fact that Misty is a gym leader leads me to believe that she's more battle oriented than Iris who refused to be Opelucid's leader when she was offered because she herself said she had to think about it. And since you're bringing up her 3 Pokemon who actually do battle, Iris had two when she was introduced. One who'd been ignoring her for years and one whom she doesn't use in battle or is even capable of using a dragon-type move properly.

    And Pikachu couldn't touch Excadrill with any good moves, how is that a good example of Iris's battle knowledge? Besides, that battle was not even at the beginning of the series. In fact, her battle with Excadrill and Fraxure proves how much she lacks in battle knowledge and understanding her Pokemon. In the beginning of the series, Iris refused to battle Ash and Trip because of her weak Axew and disobedient Excadrill. Her first on-screen battle was a practice battle against Cilan whom she told to use weaker moves. Iris is clearly far less battle oriented.

  15. #30

    Default Re: Misty or Iris?

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    What does Misty being a Gym leader have to do with it? She only had 3 pokemon to begin with and didn't battle challengers in the Gym at all. I think Ash was the first person she ever battled at the Gym.

    Likewise its pretty obvious from watching Excadrill vs. Pikachu that Iris has a lot more knowledge of battling at the start compared to Misty vs. Ash in Kanto.
    You said Iris was more battle oriented. The fact that Misty is a gym leader leads me to believe that she's more battle oriented than Iris who refused to be Opelucid's leader when she was offered because she herself said she had to think about it. And since you're bringing up her 3 Pokemon who actually do battle, Iris had two when she was introduced. One who'd been ignoring her for years and one whom she doesn't use in battle or is even capable of using a dragon-type move properly.

    And Pikachu couldn't touch Excadrill with any good moves, how is that a good example of Iris's battle knowledge? Besides, that battle was not even at the beginning of the series. In fact, her battle with Excadrill and Fraxure proves how much she lacks in battle knowledge and understanding her Pokemon. In the beginning of the series, Iris refused to battle Ash and Trip because of her weak Axew and disobedient Excadrill. Her first on-screen battle was a practice battle against Cilan whom she told to use weaker moves. Iris is clearly far less battle oriented.
    Misty wasn't even at the Gym when we first saw her. She was fishing near Pallet town, she probably ran away from the Gym as she was tired of her sisters and didn't battle challengers there. Nothing said in those early episodes made it seem like Misty battled challengers regularly. I think Ash was the first one she ever battled in a Gyn match.

    You claim Misty is a better trainer, but there are no examples. None of Misty's early Kanto battles come off as impressive, her Starmie loses to a Graveler in the Poketech ep, and then she hardly battles any other trainers besides TR.

    While Misty did improve at battling in Johto, she certainly didn't come across as strong in Kanto. Ash nearly beat her in the Gym as Starmie was on the verge of losing energy before TR came.

    As for Excadrill does it not seem more powerful than either Staryu or Starmie early on? Starmie was losing to Pidgeotto who Ash just captured like 4 episodes prior.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •