CONTEST: May's strongest pokemon? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Mays strongest pokemon?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blaziken

22 75.86%
  • Skitty

2 6.90%
  • Warturtle

1 3.45%
  • Beautifly

1 3.45%
  • Venusar

2 6.90%
  • Munchlax

1 3.45%
  • Glaceon

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: May's strongest pokemon?

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Default re: May's strongest pokemon?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Convenient for the plot? It evolved for the same reason Charmeleon forced itself to evolve to battle Aerodactyl. Pokemon often evolve in often to face a situation or defend a friend...as Corphish was getting beaten up by the Breloom.
    I'm pretty sure she means that Torchic should have gotten more experience as a Torchic before evolving and going beast mode as a Combusken. Like how Axew should have more battle experience before becoming a Fraxure, its so the evolution is more realistic and easier to swallow. Yeah, Pokemon do evolve when convenient for the plot, I don't really have a huge problem with it unless it's really really too much.(Roggenrola evoling with little battle experience against Clay's Excadrill.) Though Torchic had been with May for a long while anyway and likely got some training off-screen(There were scenes of it iirc.), Torchic did help with smaller things like helping out against Carvanah, weakening Wurmple, and hitting Team Rocket a few times so it didn't really matter much to me.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druddigon View Post
    Convenient for the plot? It evolved for the same reason Charmeleon forced itself to evolve to battle Aerodactyl. Pokemon often evolve in often to face a situation or defend a friend...as Corphish was getting beaten up by the Breloom.
    I'm pretty sure she means that Torchic should have gotten more experience as a Torchic before evolving and going beast mode as a Combusken. Like how Axew should have more battle experience before becoming a Fraxure, it's so the evolution is more realistic and easier to swallow. Yeah, Pokemon do evolve when convenient for the plot, I don't really have a huge problem with it unless it's really really too much.(Roggenrola evoling with little battle experience against Clay's Excadrill.)
    I don't see why it matters, it was nice to see a starter not be portrayed as all-powerful for once.

Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

I don't see why it matters, it was nice to see a starter not be portrayed as all-powerful for once.
    It was never a big deal for me to not see a base stage starter not portrayed as much a beast as Turtwig, Oshawott, Tepig, Charmander, Piplup, etc. So I didn't really care, I actually think more starters should evolve quicker(And with less experience.) as Torchic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Druddigon View Post
    It was never a big deal for me to not see a base stage starter not portrayed as much a beast as Turtwig, Oshawott, Tepig, Charmander, Piplup, etc. So I didn't really care, I actually think more starters should evolve quicker(And with less experience.) as Torchic.
    Indeed. Mudkip hardly battled much either outside of TR blast-offs and it evolved after a training match.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I'm going to go with Blaziken. As a Combusken, it was May's best battler for Contests and it would become stronger with reaching its evolved form. I personally would have preferred Torchic battling a bit more before evolving though. I didn't think that the evolution was forced or cheap, but it could have used a bit more battles and maybe be used in a Contest before evolving. Seeing it start off so weak worked well for May given how she had problems herself when she first became a trainer, so I wouldn't want it super strong, but just a couple of more victories to show how it had improved before it evolved.

Rawr! Berrenta's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn View Post
    His Blaziken, as a Torchic, didn't deserve to evolve into Combusken at the first place.
    I don't recall May being male... To be honest, I don't mind if a Pokémon evolves as long as its personality doesn't shift too much.

Anyways, I believe her Venusaur takes it for me. Blaziken is pretty nice, and Glaceon is as well.
    X/3DS FC: 1289 8751 6620 In-game name: Karen
    Claims: Nidoqueen, Mawilite, Hondew Berry, Fiery Dance, Flower Veil
    Claims (other): Luke Triton (Professor Layton), Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)

Skyworld Warriors, a Kid Icarus fan club
    Friend Safari: Poison (Kakuna, Swalot, Whirlipede)

Blog Entries

I was expecting May's Torchic would be strong enough to can be compared to Harrison's Blaziken which defeated Ash's Mighty Charizard, fair and square. Seeing a coward was a huge disappointment of course.
    LOL, why are you comparing a Torchic to a Blaziken? You thought Torchic was going to be a badass fighter right from its first episode? As soon as it became Combusken it became a strong pokemon and won the vast majority of its battles, so I don't know what you're complaining about.

Where the hell did you get the idea that Pokemon personalities don't change?

Blog Entries

Have I talked about personality? It's the first post that used 'personality' word in this thread.
    I didn't think that Torchic was going to be a mighty fighter. But being scared most of the time(almost all the time) as a Torchic... That wasn't acceptable for me.
    Also did you hear about something bad about its Combusken form from me?
    So then why are you complaining? There's no reason to expect a beginning Torchic from a lab was going to be a powerful fighter off the bat. In fact the way Torchic was handled was probably the most realistic depiction of a starter in the series, unlike starters that are overpowered from the beginning like Piplup and Tepig.

Rawr! Berrenta's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

I generally use NBA Forums, and on those forums there is no word such as 'her'.
    It happens, I guess.
    X/3DS FC: 1289 8751 6620 In-game name: Karen
    Claims: Nidoqueen, Mawilite, Hondew Berry, Fiery Dance, Flower Veil
    Claims (other): Luke Triton (Professor Layton), Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)

Skyworld Warriors, a Kid Icarus fan club
    Friend Safari: Poison (Kakuna, Swalot, Whirlipede)

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: May's strongest pokemon?

Have I talked about personality? It's the first post that used 'personality' word in this thread.
    I didn't think that Torchic was going to be a mighty fighter. But being scared most of the time(almost all the time) as a Torchic... That wasn't acceptable for me.
    Also did you hear about something bad about its Combusken form from me?
    So then why are you complaining? There's no reason to expect a beginning Torchic from a lab was going to be a powerful fighter off the bat. In fact the way Torchic was handled was probably the most realistic depiction of a starter in the series, unlike starters that are overpowered from the beginning like Piplup and Tepig.
    Tepig was overpowered after evolution not before. And he did not come straight from a lab. He was trained by Shamus first. The overpowered starter in BW should be Oshawott. In the beginning. He won a lot of battles before he became an comic fall guy. But we are starting to get off topic here.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Master of Ghosts......... Gengarzilla's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Gengarzilla on Tumblr Visit Gengarzilla's Youtube Channel

I'll admit that Blaziken may have been a complete pushover as a Torchic but it has improved dramatically since then, being able to battle on par with Ash's Sceptile who repeatedly proved itself as strong many times. I'd have to agree with The Fighting Misty here, most in-game starters don't just start off strong and I found Blaziken's depiction and abilities as Torchic to be very realistic.

Having risen from that realistic start to being competant in both battles and contests is why I've voted for Oshawott done rightBlaziken.
    I have claimed the Spell Tag and Kasib Berry, along with Adaptability and Shadow Ball. I have also claimed Gastly.

If you think Nintendo need to sue PETA up the ass for making Pokemon Black and Blue, copy and paste this into your sig.

Hypnodance FTW!

Blog Entries

Aside from Blaziken debate, I wonder who are those 2 people that voted for 'Skitty'.
    And you think there's a Blaziken debate because you're comparing it to a completely different Blaziken owned by another trainer?

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Aside from Blaziken debate, I wonder who are those 2 people that voted for 'Skitty'.
    And you think there's a Blaziken debate because you're comparing it to a completely different Blaziken owned by another trainer?
    It's clear as day that we can not agree. What's the point of keeping this debate up? Leave it alone.
    Well I agree. If you want to discuss Blaziken then make a thread for it. This one is for comparing Mays pokemon and see which one people think is best. You two are getting off topic. And I do not mean to be rude here.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Blog Entries

Venusaur is probably strong, but since we never saw it in that stage outside a 3 second montage there's not much to say.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Venusaur is probably strong, but since we never saw it in that stage outside a 3 second montage there's not much to say.
    I was always disappointed with that. I really liked May's Bulbasaur. I thought it was kind of cute with the heart shaped mark and I would have preferred seeing it being used in her Kanto Contests along with Squirtle, instead of leaving one starter Pokemon for another. It would have been really cool to see her Venasaur in action, but it was only in a blink and you miss it cameo. It would probably be her second or third strongest Pokemon, although I'm not sure how well it would do in Contest battles with being so bulky, but there isn't much to go on beyond that brief cameo.
    Bubble Frog likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast