• Dawn's rivals

9 15.25%
  • May's rivals

42 71.19%
  • Both

8 13.56%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: May's or Dawn's rivals, who's your favorite?

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: May's or Dawn's rivals, who's your favorite?

Well both Zoey and Nando had the potential to be interesting, but the writers pretty much just left their characters stagnant.

I don't remember people disliking Zoey until around the Aipom trade fiasco, and then after that people just felt Zoey became boring in general. Nando...lol, do I even have to explain what went wrong there?

Kenny felt like filler just to promote Prinplup.

Blog Entries

May's rivals, no contest. Maybe if Nando didn't disappear for over 100 episodes then he would have been interesting.
    In the dub, Zoey came off as more bitchy than in the Japanese version (at least with her tone of voice and some of the line changes the dub made.) and the only time I found Kenny slightly interesting was in the Piplup vs. Prinplup contest (mainly because I love the Piplup evolution line). Ursula and Jessie actually competing fairly were the only interesting things about Dawn's rivals.

Look Forward, Team Rocket!

Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

i just now realized something dawn rarely faced a cotd she most faced one of her rivals in all her contests while may faced a variety of intresting one shot oppoents kelly, the girl from paicdog town who got jealous of may inteaction with that guy she liked, jeremny who was torn between his family and his love for contests and timmy the phatom each of them brought exictement to may contests and the story leading to them while dawn on the other hand if was which rival of hers will she face this time the only time we got a cotd inteaction from dawn was the princess switch episode where she got her togkiss.

now i pretty sure i gotten get another infraction for this but i'm sorry i no good as spacing my thoughts into writing.

Blog Entries

Remember guys, you need to give reasons for your choice between May's rivals and Dawn's rivals.

Blog Entries

I agree on the lack of one-shot rivals too. The only one Dawn had was that Tiger Lily woman with the Delcatty, and I thought she was a pretty good character about on par with the one-shot Hoenn rivals.

I think the problem is they recycled Zoey and Kenny in EVERY contest up until Ursula was introduced. So not only were Zoey and Kenny rather dull to begin with, but they were both shoved into every contest at the beginning which got even worse. Nando, for some reason, completely disappearing until the Grand Festival didn't help matters either.

I feel as if Ursula saved the tail-end of Dawn's arc. Imagine if there was no Ursula and we just had to see more Zoey/Kenny in those last few DP contests? The horror.

Probably helps matters that the Ursula contest battles were usually the best, certainly better than Kenny's matches with Dawn.

The only thing that really bothered me with the Ursula contests were that Dawn would always manage to take over half of of Ursula's points in some bullcrap comeback move. I would have liked to see Ursula beat her at least once. We saw Harley beat May once.
    Chronos likes this.

~Claimer of Pansage in the Claim a Pokemon thread~
    ~Claimer of Cilan in the Claim a Character thread~

Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cilan View Post
    The only thing that really bothered me with the Ursula contests were that Dawn would always manage to take over half of of Ursula's points in some bullcrap comeback move. I would have liked to see Ursula beat her at least once. We saw Harley beat May once.
    I felt the same way. Ursula would usually have the upper hand, then Dawn would come out of nowhere and somehow make Ursula lose enough points so that she would lose. Ursula should've just been Dawn's rival from the beginning, and Zoey could've just been some reoccuring friend of the group that just so happens to be a coordinator. That's pretty much what it felt like anyways.

Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually don't recall Kenny being shoehorned in that often. At most I think he was only in... what, two contests before the GF? The one where Dawn beat him, then the one where he beat Dawn. There was like a gap of 80 episodes between those contests. Other than that, he had two ineffectual appearances in filler episodes and his widely-uninteresting final episode. I really have to agree with everyone who said Ursula should've replaced Kenny entirely, childhood backstory and all. Then Dawn wouldn't have come off so odd having a circle of friends that were so bland and/or ugly that she looked like a goddess by comparison, and there would've been a lot more room to develop Ursula and squeeze in a win against Dawn that she definitely deserved.

I mean, Ursula was not only by far the most interesting of Dawn's rivals, but many of her skills and appeals came off as way better-done than Dawn's, imo. I think there's something terribly wrong when Dawn actually lost against Kenny, whose appeals never stood out as particularly amazing to me (especially compared to Ursula's), but never lost against Ursula herself who actually managed to pull out some very unique techniques. That Ursula debuted relatively late in the series (she's pretty much Dawn's equivalent of Barry in that sense) really damaged the potential to give her the kind of win she needed. So yeah, if Ursula got the exposure that Kenny had gotten, that would've gone a long way in making a more compelling story for Dawn. The fact that most of her rivals were of the friendly variety really made it feel as if Dawn had it too easy. Sure, she struggled in ways May never did by actually failing to pass Appeal rounds in contests, but there's a difference between struggling with your own limitations and struggling with people pushing you around or otherwise posing as a real threat to your chances of winning by suffering their psychological antagonism. It may as not have been as effective since Dawn wouldn't be so prone to getting shoved around like May was, but it would've made things interesting, at least.

I can respect the writers' attempt to do something different in the friendly rivals thing, but they largely neglected the important fact of keeping a friendly rivalry entertaining, since those types of rivalries don't exactly write themselves. Zoey appeared a LOT, but a number of those appearances could've been done away with and resulted in little to no change in the ongoing plot. And her involvement with the Aipom/Buizel trade was pretty off-putting; they should've just left her mentioning it once as vague foreshadowing and left it at that, rather than having her barge in with the sole intent of insisting on the trade that had nothing to do with her at all. Despite that, she did appear enough to stand out over the rest of Dawn's rivals (as she should have) and got character development as well as interaction with other characters that didn't interfere with the main rivalry. They could've done a lot better with Zoey, but they also could've done worse. All I know is, I recall Drew's appearances being much less... intrusive.

And I do think Dawn having more one-shot rivals would have been to her benefit... if they were well-done, at least. Lila was a pretty good one-shot since it gave a little backstory to Johanna of all people and the premise of facing someone who was your parent's rival is actually an interesting thing to do from a storyline perspective. I bet the mom one-shot May faced would've been a lot more interesting if she had a background like that (she seems to be one of the few one-shot rivals of May that was sub-par). Or maybe Lila was the writers' way of making up for how underwhelming the technical predecessor was, I dunno. XD

Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

Blog Entries

^ Kenny was also in that contest where Dawn lost the second appeal round. Jessie beats him to get her first ribbon.

I think the problem with Kenny is his only real purpose (Piplup Vs. Prinplup), happened in his debut Contest. So we already saw Dawn beat him and his Prinplup right off the bat...hence why she never needed to beat him again.

Its strange. There was never any Dawn Vs. Nando in any contest, and we never get to see Dawn beat Zoey. Dawn Vs. Kenny happened immediately, and of course Ursula gets beaten in every appearance.

The whole thing was done in such a way that you could never look forward to Dawn having a big victory over any of her rivals.
    Yamato-san likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Dawn's rivals because they had more various features. I also liked Zoey.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odinn View Post
    As for 3 main rivals; Drew&Harley&Solidad vs. Zoey&Kenny&Nando, I'd say Dawn's rivals. Zoey and Nando mishandled that's for sure. But Harley... I've always wanted to punch this idiot. Also making Jessie a serious contender was a good choice.

But supporting coordinators from Hoenn were considerably better than the ones from Sinnoh region.
    Harley was one of the best characters in the entire series. Never before have we had such a unique and funny character in the show. The writers have never been able to top him with any other character since.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I'm going to say Dawn's rivals. I really liked Zoey and she became one of my favorite characters on the show. I liked how they gave Dawn a more freindly rival who actually helped Dawn to work on her skills, unlike May's main rivals who were mean. I also really like her appeal and battle style. I also really liked Ursala and her battling skills, but I wish they would have let her beat Dawn in their first 2 battles. Nando was okay, but since we didn't see him that much so there's not much to say about him. I thought he was kind of boring in the beginning, but I loved his battle against Zoey in the GF. Kenny I don't much care for. He was kind of boring for much of his time on the show. So out of Dawn's rivals I like 3/4.

On the other hand I really didn't like May's rivals. Harley's voice and personality really annoyed me while I just never much cared for Drew. If Solidad counts, I don't remember much about her since she came at the very end at the Kanto GF, so I don't much care for her either. So for May's rivals, 0/3.

I'm voting Dawn's rivals.

Blog Entries

Surely everyone can agree that May had the best rivals? :0

Zoe and kenny lacked a personality. Ursula was around for all of two minutes which is a shame. Even Jessilina was annoying.

Harley was possibly the funniest character in the show's history and Drew was May's otp. Kenny x Dawn didn't stand a chance. They had no chemistry at all.

Blog Entries

I really could not decide here but I think both had good Rivals in their time on the show.

May's rivals especially harley, he's pretty tricky and "evil". I like the episodes where harley deliberately try to sabotage May and that make me lol.

Problem with Dawn's rival, most of them are just "too nice" and friendly, except Ursula. Ironically, Dawn's interaction with Ash's rival(such as barry, conway, and paul) are better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12