CONTEST: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

View Poll Results: Which is more difficult?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Contests/Grand Festival for Coordinators

    11 30.56%
  • Gym Battles/Pokemon Leagues for Trainers

    12 33.33%
  • Can't decide

    1 2.78%
  • Even harder for those like Nando that go for both

    13 36.11%
  • Both have their own challenges

    14 38.89%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

  1. #1
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    It’s been debated a lot in the anime (mostly between Ash and Dawn in DP 004 when Nando couldn’t decide what to do).

    To me I’d say Contests are more difficult because you have to compete in contests against dozens of other coordinators to win 1 ribbon. But in Gyms you only need to defeat the Gym Leader. Not only that you have to do 2 rounds of appeal; the 1st is like Show and Tell and only a handful make it to the next round which is taking your battle strategies and appeal style into consideration trying to steal points and not only that…you have a TIME LIMIT!!

    If you lose in the 1st round or 2nd round that’s it its over there is no rematch until that city has a contest next year. In terms of gyms, you can just come back to the gym anytime (if the leader is there) and re-challenge them.

    Yes, there are only a minimum of 8 badges to get for a league, but still sometimes coordinators go to probably a dozen or more contests just to get 5 ribbons.

    Then around GF time, you are up against a lot more people but the stakes are higher because you have to have you’re A-game on. Just like a league, one lose and you’re gone. But I’d feel more pain from losing at a GF than a league.

    Which path do you think is more difficult to pursue Contest on the road to the GF or Gym Battles on the way to the Pokemon League?
    Last edited by The Puppetmaster; 4th August 2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Adding a prefix.

  2. #2
    Get your game on! Jaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Transgender
    Posts
    6,180
    Blog Entries
    4

    Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Contests, because you have to worry about how you execute your attacks as well as winning the battle.
    That said, people with goals like Nando's have it the hardest.

  3. #3
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Coordinator, only because when you lose at a Gym you can just stay in that town and re-challenge the same Gym.

    When you lose a Contest, you have to travel around to find the next one.

  4. #4
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    Registered User Kip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    I disagree. I think it would be more difficult to be a trainer entering in a Pokemon League. Not necessarily because I think collecting badges would be easier than collecting ribbons, but because I think making it through the league itself would be more challenging. You're one of about a hundred trainers who made it there, all determined to be the winner. Generally, you have to win different types of battles to reach the finals. 1v1 preliminaries, in some leagues, several 3v3 matches, and then several full 6 on 6 battles. No one's holding back, and every trainer is different. For each battle you have to go into it not knowing definitively what pokemon your opponent will be using- you can look them up sure, but there's no guaranteed way of predicting their exact lineup. And you can't predict their battle style either. Each battle will be different, and you generally have to rely on a combination of strategy, skill, and just plain luck to clinch the win. There are no judges, no time limit, it's a free-for-all-who's-truly-the-better-trainer-with-skillfully-trained-pokemon-and-not-just-the-lucky-one-who-was-ahead-when-the-time-ran-out. I'd be far more disappointed after losing in the finals of a Pokemon League, than losing in the finals of a Grand Festival. You have to go through a lot more battles to make it there for a league, which would, for me, create more of a let-down.
    Last edited by Kip; 4th August 2011 at 02:27 PM.

  5. #5
    Crimson Fighter Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,091
    Blog Entries
    196

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
    I disagree. I think it would be more difficult to be a trainer entering in a Pokemon League. Not necessarily because I think collecting badges would be easier than collecting ribbons, but because I think making it through the league itself would be more challenging. You're one of about a hundred trainers who made it there, all determined to be the winner. Generally, you have to win different types of battles to reach the finals. 1v1 preliminaries, in some leagues, several 3v3 matches, and then several full 6 on 6 battles. No one's holding back, and every trainer is different. For each battle you have to go into it not knowing definitively what pokemon you're opponent will be using- you can look them up sure, but there's no guaranteed way of predicting their exact lineup. And you can't predict their battle style either. Each battle will be different, and you generally have to rely on a combination of strategy, skill, and just plain luck to clinch the win. There are no judges, no time limit, it's a free-for-all-who's-truly-the-better-trainer-with-skillfully-trained-pokemon-and-not-just-the-lucky-one-who-was-ahead-when-the-time-ran-out. I'd be far more disappointed after losing in the finals of a Pokemon League, than losing in the finals of a Grand Festival. You have to go through a lot more battles to make it there for a league, which would, for me, create more of a let-down.
    I agree completely besides who said it was that easy to win badges remember those 2 guys in pallet who gave up even though they were on fire at first. Not to mention in AG May was constantly making mistakes while Ash in AG got everything down he still lost a gym battle and to a elite four member also he barely won every match but he was still golden. May had a lot to learn and still managed to get as far in the GF as Ash did in the Pokemon League. And let's not start on Dawn.

  6. #6
    Back From The Grave Charbok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    896
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    They're both challenging in their own way. Coming up with different combinations and attacks for a coordinator can be challenging. Plus if you lost at a gym, you can always go back and challenge that gym again. If you lose a contest then you have to wait until another one is announced. Plus I assume there's a certain amount of contests that take place in a region so if you lose too many of them then you won't have all the ribbons you need. A gym you can just keep challenging until you finally win.

    But the Pokemon League is much more difficult to me for the exact reasons Kip stated.

    Look Forward, Team Rocket!

    Also I claim Piplup in the Claim a Pokemon thread =)

  7. #7
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    I agree completely besides who said it was that easy to win badges remember those 2 guys in pallet who gave up even though they were on fire at first. Not to mention in AG May was constantly making mistakes while Ash in AG got everything down he still lost a gym battle and to a elite four member also he barely won every match but he was still golden. May had a lot to learn and still managed to get as far in the GF as Ash did in the Pokemon League. And let's not start on Dawn.
    What does this have to do with anything? The Grand Festivals are different than the leagues. Likewise May only made it to the Top 8 in the Hoenn GF, so its not like she got very far on her first time.

    Likewise Ash *almost* beat Tyson. Seriously, Ash was much closer to winning the Hoenn league than the Sinnoh league. In fact I could have easily seen Ash win the Hoenn league because Tyson was almost defeated and Tyson went on to win the whole thing.

  8. #8
    Crimson Fighter Phoenixphlare's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    2,091
    Blog Entries
    196

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    What does this have to do with anything? The Grand Festivals are different than the leagues. Likewise May only made it to the Top 8 in the Hoenn GF, so its not like she got very far on her first time.

    Likewise Ash *almost* beat Tyson. Seriously, Ash was much closer to winning the Hoenn league than the Sinnoh league. In fact I could have easily seen Ash win the Hoenn league because Tyson was almost defeated and Tyson went on to win the whole thing.
    How does this not have to do with this? May got just as far as Ash did despite the experience differences all I'm saying. Top 8 is pretty far considering how many people enter. And what do you mean they are different? One easier to get to the 8 than the other.
    Therefore winning the league is harder then winning the GF simple as that.

  9. #9
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    You've all made some valid points and I mean from both sides those who think battles are harder than contests and vice versa. I will say this; Contests are a bit difficult come GF time because sometimes you have to go through 2 Appeal Rounds before you even get to the final round of Double Battles.

    The same in Pokemon Leagues when you have to get to the Top 8 or 16 to get to the full battles. There as some of you have mentioned you are up against opponents that may or may not use the same Pokemon or strategies throughout the tournament no matter what their league computer data says about them. Yes, there is no time limit here so pulling a nonsense sort of win here is not going to cut it there are 6 Pokemon to beat not 2 in a double battle with a 5 minute clock.

    So, overall its tough to say which one has the hardest road for a person to travel on but the poll is almost at a draw, can't wait to see how it looks in a couple of days!

    BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing no one has mentioned is that even if you win a league, there is still the challenge of the Elite 4 and Champion. Ok, now that I've thrown that into the barrel discuss! How does that add to the difficulty of being a Pokemon Trainer compared to that or a Coordinator that reaches the top after winning the GF.

  10. #10
    Stars, Rainbows and Stars Chronos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Seafoam Islands
    Posts
    1,048
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    I think both have their fair share of difficulties. With gyms, as was said, if you lose, you can always rechallenge the gym later. You can't do that with contests.

    I think to balance this, they make it so that you have to earn eight badges and with contests, since there's not very high odds that you'll win the whole thing because so many people enter them, they make it so you only have to earn five ribbons. It would be way too hard to enter the GF if you had to earn eight ribbons.

    Being a Pokemon Trainer may be a bit more difficult though, because in order to be the champion of the region, you have to win the league AND beat the entire Elite Four (which I imagine would be a lot more difficult in the anime than in-game) AND beat the current champion of that region.

  11. #11
    Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    28,646
    Blog Entries
    49

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    How does this not have to do with this? May got just as far as Ash did despite the experience differences all I'm saying. Top 8 is pretty far considering how many people enter. And what do you mean they are different? One easier to get to the 8 than the other.
    Therefore winning the league is harder then winning the GF simple as that.
    Wrong. The difference is the appeal rounds eliminate a bunch of trainers before the battling even begins.

    The fact that you can lose the appeals, as Kenny did in the Sinnoh GF, and see all your hard work go downt he drain makes it much tougher.

  12. #12
    Kip
    Kip is offline
    Registered User Kip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    137

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Quote Originally Posted by Callisto View Post
    I think both have their fair share of difficulties. With gyms, as was said, if you lose, you can always rechallenge the gym later. You can't do that with contests.

    I think to balance this, they make it so that you have to earn eight badges and with contests, since there's not very high odds that you'll win the whole thing because so many people enter them, they make it so you only have to earn five ribbons. It would be way too hard to enter the GF if you had to earn eight ribbons.
    I agree with the above, but to expand on it, I don't really see how its any easier to earn five ribbons than eight badges. Sure, you can always re-challenge the same gym, but does that really make it easier to earn the badges? Most trainers train more before rematches, and figure out a strategy. Then they go back the next day, rematch, and hopefully win. They find out where the next gym is, and travel there. In a contest, if you lose, then you find out where the next contest is and you head there- training along the way. I don't see how there's much of a difference either way. The trainer may have gained another badge more quickly than the coordinator did a ribbon- but he/she also has to get more badges.

  13. #13
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Kenny has the most legit gripe; he lost in the appeals round of the GF after getting 5 ribbons if should tell the writers, "Ok, you kick me out in the first round but you can't even give me my own farewell episode instead I have to share the limelight with Flint and a Gym Leader from the past in Johto?!! And then I get rejected by the girl I love from the same hometown!?!?!"

    Writers; "Well to be honest Kenny, you're not interesting enough to be able to give a full episode to."

    Kenny; "..."

  14. #14
    Gonna be a tl;dr Master! Shinneth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Kentucky. The boonies.
    Posts
    1,224
    Blog Entries
    29

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    Kinda goes without saying that people to pursue both like Nando does definitely have it the hardest. That actually serves as an accurate explanation for why he ranked so low in the Sinnoh League despite doing relatively well in the GF. One could say the GF wore him out, since the gap between the two events wasn't really that big, and no doubt it takes a hell of a lot of extra preparation to get your team to master the art of battling in addition to the art of contest-battling and appeals.

    I always kinda assumed trainers have it harder because they have to earn almost twice as many qualification tokens than the coordinators have to, but the fact that there are a limited number of Contests that go on before the GF does make it a bit more stringent. Then again, both are dealing with a time limit either way. I gotta wonder, though, was it ever said outright that previously-won ribbons in a region can be re-used for any GF as long as it's in the same region? I'm pretty sure badges have that longevity, given that Ash initially turned down a battle with Agatha when he mentioned he already had the Viridian Gym's badge, but the ribbons seem much more vague. Especially with special ribbons like the Aqua Ribbon that are only eligible in the region of the winner's choosing. It doesn't seem like the sort of thing that can be recycled "next season", so to speak, but I dunno if that principle would apply for all ribbons.

    Bottom line is, if old ribbons' eligibility is along the lines of badges, then I'd say it probably would be easier to be a Coordinator with some time and patience. Of course, it wouldn't apply to ribbons won by other people that are given to someone else (unless it's under-the-table like Salvia's ribbon was for Jessie), such as Johanna giving Dawn her old ribbon as a good-luck charm.

    I think overall it kinda depends on the trainer/coordinator's natural talents. If you're a super-creative person from the get-go, by anime logic Contests would probably be as easily-won as May's were regardless of your experience. Though it would also help to know exactly how many Contests occcur per "season" - my guess is a lot given the evidence we've seen. Vivian/Marian/Lilian and the judges must have it worse than people employed by the WWE when it comes to a job where you spend 90% of the year traveling across the region. As a Coordinator, you're pretty much forced to follow them if you want to take every chance available to you for winning a ribbon, which would really suck. Trainers technically have to do that too, though once they find a gym they can just hover around there until they beat it, rather than having to move on to another location immediately after a first attempt.

    Granted, it's not always a peace of cake to track down a Gym Leader if Fantina is any indication. Ash often had to deal with waiting for Gym Leaders to finish up whatever the hell they're distracted with before getting to battle them, which would suck hard if you're trying to make the deadline for the conference. Of course, Gym Leaders are usually forced to handicap themselves by not being allowed to switch out and whatnot, so it's almost assured you'll beat them eventually no matter how many times you lose. In Contests there isn't a handicap and you have no idea what you're going up against for the most part, so many Contests are more daunting than Gym Battles. The prospect of making appeals to please people who may or may not have a bias towards what they find impressive is also pretty messed up. Then again, while Gym Battles seem easier to handle because you know for the most part they're restricted towards a specific type, that can be a bitch to get through if your team happens to share a common weakness to the type, or if you're a masochist who wants to inflict Hard Mode on yourself by intentionally choosing the wrong types of Pokemon to win the battle.

    ... Though since the GF is basically a Contest on a grander scale and League Conferences are where you're thrown into a situation where you have no idea what kinda trainer you're going up against (unless you know them... and in the Sinnoh League, they give you a nice database to research your opponents), the terrain is randomly-chosen so that could really muck up a strategy, and overall the Leagues always seemed to be a bigger deal than GFs.

    I... I don't know. This is complicated.

    Chapter 19: Black Ice Battle!
    plurk | SPPF | dA | ff.net

  15. #15
    Registered User Paulisthebest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Veilstone City
    Posts
    1,090
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default Re: Which goal is more difficult; Pokemon Trainer or Coordinator?

    ^^ Yeah, it is because the goal of a Coordinator is mainly becoming Top Coordinator and too do that you must get 5 ribbons and win the GF, while a Pokemon Master must get 8 badges, beat the league the Elite 4 AND the Champion in the Champion League.

    See, the anime never told us what being a Pokemon Master is or how to get there but Ash said after seeing Flint vs. Cynthia that he was going to win the league and battle in the Champion League to become a Pokemon Master. Which could imply that in the games it is the same, beat the E4 and Champ and you're at the top.

    If that is true then a trainer has it the toughest.

    Contests are ridiculous when it comes to the judges. I think the same thing that Contesta, the announcer and Mr. "REMARKABLE" have it tough if they have to be at EVERY contest. I mean do they go to everyone of them in Kanto, Sinnoh and Hoenn? If so they are gone all of the time to judge em.

    Yeah, contests are a bit more predictable in terms of the 5 minute rule, making your Pokemon shine etc. at the league you gotta go by battle instinct instead of knowing that the gym leader has a certain type, can't switch (unless they're Lenora)...

    Yeah, the Silver Conference and Kanto League show'd us that every league probably keeps data online for competitors to look at their opponents. Personally, I'd probably use different Pokemon or at least rotate my team around so its not the same 6 each battle to mix things up and keep up the unpredictability of my moves.

    About Contest Judge bias, well when Skitty did Assist Appeal at the Hoenn GF, he wasn't impressed because it was all of May's other Pokemon's moves and not Skitty's unique abilities. But I disagreed because I thought it was a great way to showcase all of May's team as a way of introducing them to the judges and audience.

    I mean in battles, your Pokemon is called out if it is unable to battle but in contests it is whether or not your Pokemon has taken serious damage OR you're out of points.

    I was watching the Hoenn GF today and its rough getting through the first round of appeals because out of 200+ coordinators only 64 could make it through and not only that a Pokemon can use only ONE move! In the league, some of them do screening battles or 1 on 1 battles to get rid of the dead-weight trainers. At least you have a fighting chance to make it through.

    Poor Nando, yeah I feel like he is better suited for Contests, there was a little gap and I mean little between league and GF, but that doesn't mean he din't have time to train. He got all his ribbons before the badges but really that could be because he didn't lose as many contests as he did gym battles. Or because he only needed 5 ribbons which was easier for him to get first.

    Ribbons don't expire, remember Dawn's mom had the friend with 4 ribbons and she battled Dawn but lost she only needed 1 ribbon to go to the GF, meaning that if you don't use your badges/ribbons to enter a league then I don't think they expire.

    If I'm correct the league people behind the counter at the registration desks scan your ribbons/badges to make sure they're legit. But hey who knows that just might get you in and you can use em again unless after they scan em they KNOW whether or not you used em before. But we saw how badges are made before (at least the ones at Misty's gym) and I don't think there's some kind of computer device that lets leagues know if they have been used...Ok I can go on about this forever but it still won't make sense...

    But if Ash actually goes to challenge Kanto again, I'd like him to face the gyms again to battle Forest (cause Brock is no longer gym leader) or finally get a REAL cool battle with Misty hopefully she'll finally have a Golduck. And get his 8 badges the right way without just getting them out of pity or something.

    But yeah to each his own when it comes to which one is truly harder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •