CONTEST: Which female protagonist had the best role in a movie? - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which female character had the best role in the movies?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

17 25.00%
  • May

43 63.24%
  • Dawn

29 42.65%
  • Iris

2 2.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Which female protagonist had the best role in a movie?

Default Re: Which female protagonist had the best role in a movie?

May then Misty

May: Her bond with Manaphy actually showed how much she progressed. From truly not caring for a Pokemon, to tearing up when one departs from her. Beautiful development honestly.

Misty: I enjoyed her interactions in Movie 2000. Yeah, it didn't focus on her, but her attitude was funny, and it was pretty neat when she saved Ash's life(not from a shipping standpoint at all, but it was pretty neat to see one of Ash's FRIENDS help him out).

I wasn't feeling Dawn's role in the movies, so I didn't put her...still like her though

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Misty didn't do much in Movie 2 aside from arguing with Melody. She didn't go with Ash to collect the orbs to stop the birds, TR did instead and sacrificed themselves. In fact other you count the shipping subplot she really didn't do much at all.

At least in movie 3 she battled Molly.

Blog Entries

Even though May had a big role doesn't mean she had the best role. I hate the 9th movie. I say Misty and Dawn in the second and tenth were the best

Blog Entries

I really wanted to vote for Haruka for her actions in movie 9 but then I remembered how she acted like a whiny coward when Manaphy was kidnapped by that pirate guy...I mean,...she sat there and did NOTHING. What a bimbo...wait, what?!

Hikari's role in movie 10 was the only time in Pokémon movie history when a female character actually did something worthwhile plotwise ( sad, isn't it?) so I had to vote for her ( and because movie 10 is MUCH better than movie 9 :p ).

I can't say anything about Iris in the movies because it is way too early at this moment.
    What will the future bring for Iris? I bet nothing considering how little the writers do with her in BW.
    Last edited by TeddiUrsa; 29th January 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    Even though May had a big role doesn't mean she had the best role. I hate the 9th movie. I say Misty and Dawn in the second and tenth were the best
    And Misty's role, basically bickering with Melody, was a good one? Not only does this account to less than 10 minutes of screentime of the movie, (if you combine the scenes back to back), but Misty didn't really do anything to stop the legendary birds from fighting or go with Ash in the climax of the movie at all.

Although I'll agree Dawn's role in Movie 10 was fine. Too bad her screentime was reduced in the next DP movies.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I'm going to go with May. Even though Ash did steal the spotlight away from her near the end of the movie, which still kind of bothers me, I still think that she had best role. Dawn's role in the tenth movie puts her in a close second since she was involved in the action during the climax of the movie, but I prefer May's role. May was important for the movie's plot, regardless of how they turned the attention on Ash again, while Dawn was mainly important for the climax of the first DP. Both are important roles, but I think that May's role is better and shows off more of her character. I did like how Dawn played an active role in the first DP and I also thought it was too bad that she didn't have as much significance in the rest of the movies. She really didn't bond with Shaymin anywhere near as much as May did with Manaphy or Max did with Jirachi. If anything, Ash was the one character in the main cast that bonded with it.

Misty would be third since she didn't really do much in the movies beyond saving Ash in the second movie and battling against Molly in the third, even though we don't see her entire battle. It's way too early to tell how Iris will be handled in the movies, but if her role on the series is any indication, I doubt that she'll have a role in one of the BW movies like May and Dawn did.
    Shadow Victini likes this.

I'll have to say May because of her bond with Manaphy. The others had good roles too though. (Except Iris but she's only been in one movie so far so I'm cutting her a break.)

Blog Entries

It's odd that Misty was never given much spotlight in the movies.

Movie 1: Misty doesn't really do anything in the movie.
    Movie 2: she argues with Melody but is not involved in the climax or the action involving the birds. Even TR had a bigger part in the climax.
    Movie 3: She battles Molly which was fine.
    Movie 4: She doesn't do anything in this movie.
    Movie 5: She wins a race in the beginning of the movie and then does nothing for the entire rest of the film.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would probably go with Misty. If anything because while she my have got less focus than May or Dawn in movie she actually contributed a lot to overall appeal. Her bickering and arguing with Melody over Ash, and outbursts of jealousy added that extra spark and flavor to character dynamic in second movie.
    She also played significant role in classical heroic sense because of saving Ash life and indirectly influencing whole story, being interesting to see character being brave and caring enough to take things in his hands.
    If he wasnt saved from drowning, there would be no chosen one who would save world and stop three legendary birds from going on rampage.

Sometimes less is more,and i think Misty had better impact on plot than other girls had.

My second choice would be May and her part in 9th movie. She established close bond with Manaphy and it was touching to see her taking role of mother to pokemon with their goodbye being tearful and sad. It was testament to character growth too,when taking in account how she didnt cared about pokemon at all in start.

However seeing her taking backseat to Ash who as usual saved the day, and cowardice not doing anything to help kidnapped Manaphy by pirate didnt left exactly best impression out there on me.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 1st February 2012 at 10:35 AM.

El_
    Blog Entries

Easily Dawn had the best role in a movie. It actually felt like the series had two main protagonist that were of equal status and I truly liked that. Sadly though, this did go down as the movies went on. Still, even M11 had her in a pretty good role.

After that its May, and her role in M9. The thing I didn't like though was that she wasn't important for the climax, being usurped by Ash. I can somewhat forgive this because they probably wanted a true parallel to M6 and Max, so both Max/May had equal time with Jirachi/Manaphy and neither sibling was more important than the other in their own movies.

After that its Misty. Misty had a few good spots like the entertaining Melody stuff and saving Ash in the Power of One movie, and the good battle that she had with Molly in Entei's movie. Other than that though she didn't contribute anymore than Brock did imo, save for the opening of Pokemon Heroes.

Iris is still new, and could still get a possible role, but its doubtful to be honest. I doubt that the latest Kyurem movie will focus on her, considering how the spotlight is back to being fully on Ash.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    And Misty's role, basically bickering with Melody, was a good one? Not only does this account to less than 10 minutes of screentime of the movie, (if you combine the scenes back to back), but Misty didn't really do anything to stop the legendary birds from fighting or go with Ash in the climax of the movie at all.

Although I'll agree Dawn's role in Movie 10 was fine. Too bad her screentime was reduced in the next DP movies.
    And at the end of day, she did dive into the water to save Ash. So she did do something at the end.

May? May got shoved into an escape capsule, and then just stood there as Ash saved Manaphy.

I hate movie 9. Four movies and the best they can do for May is a Misty/Togepi redux in a reenactment of movie 6? Bleh.

May got jipped, as a May fan I can say she got jipped. What good is screen time if sucks?
    Last edited by Yoshi-kun; 1st February 2012 at 11:03 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

In regards to Movie 9 I agree it was a little bit infuriating for Satoshi to steal the spotlight in the very last second. The previews for the movie gave the implication is that Haruka would have an even larger role than she already had and it was a little bit jarring to see NONE of the preview scenes used in the movie at all... I still prefer her role in a movie as opposed to the other girls' though, because there was a lot of solid development and focus.

Also known as Kameinu. himanuts's Avatar
    Follow himanuts On Twitter Add himanuts on Facebook Add himanuts on Google+
    Follow himanuts on Tumblr Visit himanuts's Youtube Channel

I enjoyed Misty in Movies 2 & 3. She may not had done things for a long time, but she was actively supportive in what she did do. She jumped in the water to help Ash in 2000 and battled Molly in the 3rd.

May comes second as I enjoyed her role in the Manaphy movie.

Blog Entries

It seems strange that the final movie for a generation wound up being the smallest role for each female aside from May. After the opening credits, Misty did absolutely nothing for the entire duration of the 5th movie. And in the 14th movie, Dawn was pretty much on the sidelines for the whole time.

If Dawn's role was kept simialrly to the 10th movie, she probably would have been the biggest role of all the movies.
    Last edited by The Fighting Misty; 26th February 2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Shadow Victini likes this.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

"Which female character had the best role in the movies?"

My list, from the best to the worst:

1. Hikari
    2. Kasumi
    3. Haruka
    4. Iris

Ofcourse, there is some unfairness in my list. Kasumi had five movies, Iris is only appeared in one movie, etc...
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast