CONTEST: Which female companion did Ash have the least memorable interaction with? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Who had the least memorable interactions with Ash?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Misty

10 12.99%
  • Dawn

22 28.57%
  • May

13 16.88%
  • Iris

32 41.56%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which female companion did Ash have the least memorable interaction with?

Default Re: Which female companion did Ash have the least memorable interaction with?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinneth View Post
    While I do think it's too early to be putting Iris in this sort of poll, I'm going to judge this based on how Ash interacted with the girls from the first 40ish episodes of their respective series. While it isn't much, usually by this point in any series there's a general idea how Ash bounces off with each girl. So that's the most logical way I'm gonna go about this. So far, I haven't seen anything where Ash's connection with the girls DRAMATICALLY changes as the series progresses, so I'll go on a limb and assume we won't be getting anything absolutely groundbreaking between Ash and Iris' "friendship" throughout BW's entirety.

With May, I felt a vibe of Ash being supportive and a source of inspiration/influence (though they displayed this with Dawn better). AG was the first time were Ash WASN'T in the role of "inexperienced newb" and it was a nice change of pace from what we had before. And while I never cared for Misty or her interactions with Ash, I can't deny that they were really good and close friends; the series usually does a good job about showcasing these tight friendships. Besides, Pokeshipping is powerful for a reason; I'd be flat-out in denial to say Ash and Misty never had memorable interactions. Their first meeting consisting of Ash stealing Misty's bike, frying it, then dragging her through a forest of bugs is pretty entertaining and grounds for the bickering that continued on.

With Dawn, they REALLY went out of their way to make perfect synergy with Ash. The high-touch, the influences they had on each other's battling and Contest styles (that were consistent and not one-offs). I guess arguably the influences weren't made obvious this early on in DP, but the high-touch definitely was. They got along, but they were also a lot like siblings to me. While they put a lot of work into Dawn and Ash's synergy, it was rather subtle during the early days of DP, but not to the point where it was totally unnoticeable. Either way, just like Misty and May, it was obvious that Dawn and Ash had a good, strong friendship by the 40-episode mark.

And Iris? Uh... yeah. Admittedly it's more unfair to judge Iris since the series is still going on, but I honestly feel nothing between her and Ash. She doesn't hesitate to snark at him, but I think she did it to the point of overload, which in turn reflected poorly on Iris' character. Or it did to me, anyway. But Ash usually pays no mind to her remarks (i.e. won't sink to her level) or makes unmemorable "What did you say/Whaddya mean by that/Oh, come on" responses and then the conversation is abruptly dropped. Really, there's nothing I find likable about Ash and Iris' interaction, and I don't feel the strong FRIENDSHIP vibe that I felt with him and the other girls 40 episodes into their respective series. To this day I still wonder why Iris wants or needs to travel in the group, and that's not a good sign. So while it may be too early to pass a completely fair and accurate judgment, I'm gonna say based on the first 40 episodes of every series that the weakest interaction with Ash is Iris, bar none.
    Hit the nail right on the head with each girl and her relationship with Ash. Iris's interactions with Ash really just haven't been that...memorable in terms of how he interacted with May, Misty or Dawn.

LOL, i'm still wondering why she's traveling with Ash too.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best". -Karen

"For every pokemon there is a purpose and a time when it can shine under the sun." -Blue1225

SOOOOONANSU!!

Default Re: Which female companion did Ash have the least memorable interaction with?

I voted for May. Quit honestly the only memorable interaction I can really come up with them was that one episode with the tag battle where they're suddenly at eachothers throats for no real well explained reason.

But honestly I don't really get the obsession with "group chemistry" some people seem to have. Don't really find any particular trio that more or less dynamic than the others over the course of the series.
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketshipper View Post
    But honestly I don't really get the obsession with "group chemistry" some people seem to have. Don't really find any particular trio that more or less dynamic than the others over the course of the series.
    Because if there's no chemistry than we wind up with something like Dawn and Brock's interactions. Yeah...

I'd prefer the characters to actually have memorable interactions together.

Please keep in mind that the topic of the thread deals with Satoshi's interactions with the different girls he's traveled with; not the different traveling groups as a whole.

the same i've always been:
    mafia win/lose tally . vocal covers . ffn.net
    . ao3 . tumblr

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This is hard to answer but if i would really have to chose i would probably say Dawn.While she and Ash developed strong and good friendship supporting each other through their journeys and learning from themselves which can be evidenced by influence Dawn contest strategies left on his battling style,there simply lacked something for me which would add spice to current dynamic.There was almost no conflict,sarcasm etc being present in character interaction.

With Misty,Ash developed strong friendship and while they started out rough with time she developed close bond becoming more tolerant toward some of his flaws getting to know him better.She had tendency to nitpick,tease and put him down on earth quite often which brought humor and healthy character interaction but she also showed to have caring side giving him moral support and encouragement pushing him to go forward.It can be seen in departing episode when Misty had to leave how close friends they were.

With May there wasnt much conflict but her chemistry with Ash gave different yet interesting change of dynamic imo with her dizziness and lack of knowledge meshing well with Ash maturity and ability to become able to take on mentor role to her.This can be noticed by great deal of influence Ash started to lave on May performance during contest with his battling style with relationship between them having traits of teacher-student with good chunk of inspiration and mutual understanding being present between them.

About Iris i cant say a lot since only 50 episodes passed so far and while i cant exactly put friendship which was established between her and Ash on same level like its case with other girl companions having at this point closer bonds,her cynical side and hyperactivity on one side and Ash somewhat impulsive and immature nature on other are providing certain clash and fun character interaction between them.Iris tendency to call and view Ash as kid being at times hypocritical is giving some counter balance to Ash immaturity while also starting to care for him and realize his true potential as trainer.

While there wasnt established strong connection between them yet so far Iris brought to relationship with Ash some spic which lacked when it comes to Dawn imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Purim View Post
    Iris, because she's only been around for about 40 episodes.

Beyond that, all of the female leads are more 'different' than better or worse than each other.

With Misty, the dynamic between she and Ash was mostly one of Misty being more experienced and telling Ash what to do. And because Ash wants to do things his own way, he chaffed under this, which fueled a lot of the volatile chemistry (IE: Violence) between the two. This is more evident in Kanto than Orange or Johto. Togepi seemed to mellow her out, I guess.
    Speaking of their chemistry from what i remember later down the series during Oi and Johto they still use to pick on each other but without so much violence being present.Misty also became more supportive to Ash character becoming closer as friends and while she argued with him at times with rivalry being sparked(like when battling for Totodile,in Whirl Cup,when getting lost like in Hoot Hoot or Zapdos episode etc)instead of being so aggressive like she used to be she used more of sarcasm instead with teasing being done in more cynical yet friendly manner.

Iris had the least memorable interactions with him. Her interactions with Dent, and Dent's interactions with Satoshi had more memorable.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I'd have to say Dawn. Ash and Dawn never had much chemistry to me. Whenever they interacted, with the exception of a few episodes, it put me to sleep. Sure, they supported each other, and that's fine and dandy, but they really didn't have any fun moments together.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Load of Belloni
    Blog Entries

I was tempted to vote Dawn, but then I began questioning how I should define 'memorable'. Would a sliding scale be limited to something I can literally just remember, regardless whether or not it's something I actually like? I didn't like Dawn's chemistry with anyone, Ash included, but ironically that's why I tend to remember it.

Though for the sake of argument, I'd probably have to go with May. To be perfectly honest, I find it easy to recall her interactions with her brother, rivals, and hell, even Brock. But with Ash? Bar the famous girls vs boys ep, I'm kind of drawing a blank. I'm not sure if it's because there genuinely wasn't that much between the two, or because I haven't been rewatching the right portions of AG.
    I suppose at the end of the day, I'd have to reluctantly vote for her.

Dawn. They had interactions, yes, but it just felt bland and rather forced to me. Pokemon fan 132 stated it rather well. I loved Ash and Misty's bickering and friendly jabs and with May they put him in a more mature role and I quite enjoyed that too. Won't judge on Iris yet, would like to get further into BW first. I'm not fond of the "such a kid" line though, just rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravarian View Post
    Dawn. They had interactions, yes, but it just felt bland and rather forced to me. Pokemon fan 132 stated it rather well. I loved Ash and Misty's bickering and friendly jabs and with May they put him in a more mature role and I quite enjoyed that too. Won't judge on Iris yet, would like to get further into BW first. I'm not fond of the "such a kid" line though, just rubs me the wrong way.
    Misty and Ash's interactions were most of the time sore but people remember them well. I don't remember May's. But Dawn's was memorable because they both participated in each others events unlike the others. I don't have anything against any of the girls but it's just that some you remember interactions being great and some you just remember because of the story line. I think that's why people remember Misty's. But most of the time, their interactions throughout Kanto, Orange and Johto was sorer than the rest. And what I mean by sore is that it felt they could have been more pleasant since she was on longer than the rest and when she left she became nicer but then it was too late.

Not A Piece of Cake Bubble Frog's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Bubble Frog on Tumblr

Don't'cha think it's a bit early to be judging Iris, eh Scott?

Yep, Misty defiantly had her fun in the sun with Ash a lot. The way she was always helpping him rude or not was pretty awesome. Sure she got angry a lot but, when she got Togepi you defiantly see more sides to her and whenever she wasn't angry she acted careing and nice to Ash and helped him out a lot. It was sweet and nice, she was always being critical of him at times. Whenever he did stupid stuff like using Caterpie to try to catch Pidegotto but, she cared for him a whole lot. Just like how in the Rudy eppy back when Squirtle learned Hydro Pump she helped him get back on his feet when he was flustered and he won the whole shebang and it was due to her support I thought it was kinda ironic the battle was between 2 water types and plus Misty and Ash both stuck together like Pidove of a feather like when they both defended that poor kid when he was being bullied by Giselle's classmates.

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Hermione Granger. I don't remember their interactions at all.

Otherwise, I would go with Miss Terraced-Hair of Unova or May. In the end, I chose May, because I don't remember them interacting in any interesting way besides the mentor thing which Ash/Dawn did better.
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Mrs. Ketchum. I don't even remember her being a companion!
    "I believe in miracles.. . . In a miracle of Divine Providence. God knows my heart. He sees my despair. He sees the whole picture. Surely He won't let something awful happen. Alyosha, I believe in miracles." -Dimitri to Alexey (Fyodor Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov)

"And when I had said this, the Lord spake unto me, saying: Fools mock, but they shall mourn..." Ether 12:26

Official Link Fanglomper SSJ_Jup81's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add SSJ_Jup81 on Facebook
    Visit SSJ_Jup81's Youtube Channel

Not voting, and it is a bit biased for me, but I have seen a little bit of interaction he's had with Haruka (even though I didn't see much of AG) and I have seen his interactions with Hikari (and I didn't watch all of DP, but way more than AG). I liked his interaction with Misty/Kasumi okay. Haruka wasn't bad either, and Iris is still too soon (imo), even though I like their lively interactions too. To me, if I was voting in this poll, I'd vote for Hikari. To me, their interactions weren't that memorable, a bit boring and dull from what I did see. As someone else put it, they just came across as extremely "bland".

Oh yeah, and the main reason I'm not voting is because I didn't see all of AG and DP and don't feel it would be fair to vote. I'm only basing this on what I have seen.
    Last edited by SSJ_Jup81; 5th September 2011 at 05:53 AM.

So I guess we can all agree that May's interaction with Ash is less memorarable but that doesn't mean it's meaningless. I except that May was preoccupied with other things and so was Ash. Contests were new and she was pretty busy. I however think she made a big impact in Pokemon. And if we were to ask Ash he would probably agree.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast