Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Favorite Movie Antagonist

Blog Entries
    Follow Mjolnir On Twitter Add Mjolnir on Facebook
    Follow Mjolnir on Tumblr

Default Re: Favorite Movie Antagonist

Quote Originally Posted by StarGaze View Post
    Those two Rocket Agents from Pokemon Heroes
    They aren't Rocket Agents (dub error alert!), just really good thieves. But yeah, they'd be my choice for favorite villains atm. They're just really fun to watch.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Molly Hale and Annie & Oakley, no offense to the Sinnoh ones (Kodai is third), but i think they're all too similar in their personalities.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jirarudan. And nobody is surprised.

But really, his entire thing is that he didn't want power. He wanted Lugia for its beauty and history. I know he's a huge Take That at the obsessive collectors of the fandom, but that just makes me like him more.

As far as characters that are actually evil instead of just greedy and clueless, then Vicious, hands down. What does it say that I spent the movie cheering for him to win simply because it would make an AWESOME further plot? He's a complete, abject, unapologetic prick and that's what we needed in a villain. We wouldn't see his like again, complete dickery to that magnitude, until J (although the silver-uniformed Rockets came close).

Here is my list of favorite Pokemon movie’s antagonist in order:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. Molly Hale
    3. Iron-Masked Marauder
    4. Oakley & Annie
    5. Butler
    6. Zero
    7. Grings Kodai
    8. Lawrence III
    9. The Phantom
    10. Marcus
    There were no real antagonists, but obstacles for the protagonists to save the day in Movie 7, 8 & 10 so they don't count.

Mine would be either the Iron Masked Marauder or Mewtwo since I think the rest are just power hungry idiots, I'm still pretty pissed at the writers for using the "I have awoken it so must listen to me!" routine constantly.
    Once I find something interesting. I'll put it here.

My ranking is based largely on a combination of how interesting the villains were personality-wise, the quality of their plans and how intimidating they seemed. My top five would have to be:

1. Mewtwo
    2. Lawrence III
    3. Iron Masked Marauder
    4. Molly Hale
    5. Annie and Oakley

Mewtwo had all three traits. Lawrence III had the second two, IMM was intimidating, Molly was interesting as an antagonist, and A&O were in the middle, neither excelling nor failing at any of the categories. Though saying so probably makes me come across as nostalgic, none of the clearly-defined movie antagonists since the fifth movie have been particularly compelling, though I will admit that Kodai had a very well-executed plan.

Registered User Giovanni Sakaki's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    I spent the movie cheering for him to win simply because it would make an AWESOME further plot?
    Oh wow, me too. I feel that way about most Team Rocket members but him especially. He's so bastardly, persistent and fun to watch. I loved when he burst out of the water near the end.

But my favourite has got to be Mewtwo, if Giovanni doesn't count.
    It suddenly occurred to Domino that Team Rocket was a massive game of Telephone, using actual telephones, with real-life results that could be really damn scary (for other people, of course).
    Domino sprite in my avatar made by http://jaydeis.deviantart.com/

Mewtwo, definitely. =)

My White 2 Team

Blog Entries

Since Molly counts, her. It was her story more than anything else that makes Movie 3 my favorite.

Other than that? Honestly, meh. Mewtwo had a similar thing to Molly going, but he's only particularly interesting outside of Movie 1. I kind of want to go with Kodai, because the concept of a corrupt businessman using his ill-gotten ability of foresight is pretty unique to the movie series, plus he was pretty physically brutal and ruthless. Wish he could of been developed a bit more and had put more at stake than just the town's plantlife and a few Pokémon. He was messing with time, man. Lots of things could have gone terribly wrong there.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Blog Entries

Mewtwo. He was an extremely interesting character (as in he had a genuine personality), his plans wern't cheesy, he had a great backstory and he is actually relevant to the Pokemon anime outside of his move. He was basically a genuine character, not a stock villain who always wants to take over the world.

Edit: I would also include Molly Hale.

Blog Entries

Lawrence III, The Phantom and Zero.

I like Goone because he has Ninjasks and a Scizor. Kidding, he sucks.
    Last edited by Reila; 12th April 2011 at 09:03 PM.

SOOOOONANSU!!

Definitly Lawrence the 3rd. He had a cool design and lots of awesome gadgets at his disposal, and his villiany was fairly unintentional, which I thought was interesting. He didn't want to take over the world or gain the legendary pokemon for power or money or something. He was simply...a collector ^^. And come on, he was played by The Warlock in the dub!!!

After that, definitly Molly. I think she's possibly the most tragic antagonists in the movies, and maybe the series; a little lonely girl who runs away from her sucky life and inadvertantly unleashes reality warping craziness onto the world. kind of like a more kid friendly version of Shinji in "End of Eva"...or Juri in Digimon Tamers.

After that...the masked guy from the Celebi movie. He was totally evil and willing to do anything to achieve his goal. The dark pokeball concept was pretty cool, and put him on a level of evil different from other villains we'd seen. Plus, he was from Team Rocket, and it was nice to see someone from the group who was, at the time, the supposed main villians of the series actually do something and be a threat in the movie.

I'm not too big on any of the other series villains. Butler was interesting in that he was introduced as a good guy before we learn the truth, and we have his girlfriend around who wants to redeem him, but I'm still not a big fan of movie 6 as a whole. The movie 5, 9, and 11, and 12 villains were hardly memorable for me. That guy from the Zororark movie had a lot of potential, but I don;t think the sonsequences of his actions were harsh enough, and they didn;t make use of his future sight abilities enough.

I've always though that that girl from movie 8 should have been a villain. She certainly acted like one for the most part, and if her intentions had been villanous I think it would have added more weight to the finale with the tree freaking out, instead of what we got (the kids making the tree flip out by accident)
    Jessie and James together forever!!!

AAML forever!

Colorado is EVIL!!!! Save me!

Eternal defender of Tracey Sketchit. Brock lovers beware ^_^.

"Like the moon over
    the day, my genius and brawn
    are lost on these fools" - Bowser, Super Mario RPG

El_
    Blog Entries

Most definitely Mewtwo. Do I even need to say why? It was so much mystery and character surround him that compared to most other villains its ridiculous.

Molly Hale was unique, and for that she gets a second next to Lawrence the 3rd.

The rest were... kind of generic for me. Granted I've never seen movie 9 with the pirate dude (the Phantom?) yet, but I doubt that he would be as memorable as the first 3 for me.

Does Molly really count? Despite opposing Ash for most of the movie, she certainly isn't evil.
    "That which is not just, is not Law; and that which is not Law, ought not to be obeyed."
    ~ Algernon Sydney

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Amarillo View Post
    Does Molly really count? Despite opposing Ash for most of the movie, she certainly isn't evil.
    Allow garrison-san to teach us.
    Quote Originally Posted by garrison-san View Post
    An antagonist is basically just someone who opposes the protagonist, but doesn't necessarily have to have any of the traits typically associated with villainy.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast