CONTEST: Do you prefer to watch dubbed episodes or the Japanese originals? - Page 3

View Poll Results: Which version of the Pokemon anime do you prefer watching?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Japanese original

32 34.78%
  • English dub

28 30.43%
  • A dub other than English (please specify)

2 2.17%
  • I prefer to watch both the original and dubbed episodes

30 32.61%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Do you prefer to watch dubbed episodes or the Japanese originals?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you prefer to watch dubbed episodes or the Japanese originals?

Dub. I grew up with it and I cannot understand Japanese.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

English dub. I can't understand Japanese, and though I do know I can just watch a subbed version, I'd much rather hear the words I understand rather than read them. Plus, I'm not a fan of Japanese voices. I'm much more used to English ones.

Blog Entries

Follow Egghatch on Tumblr Visit Egghatch's Youtube Channel

I prefer to watch the dub, simply because English is the only language I know.
    Floop.

Blog Entries

I watch the English dub, because I don't understand Japanese. ^^;

Watching the Japanese version with subs wouldn't bother me. I've actually seen the Japanese version of a few episodes of AG. But, because I prefer dubbed anime in general, I enjoy the English version. And let me tell you, I absolutely love watching the 4Kids dub of Pokemon. It's nostalgic, it's funny, and it makes me so happy. It's just a wonderful show, overall. And I can't get enough of it!! =)

However, I will admit that, when the VA switch happened, I wanted to stop watching the show... But I just couldn't do it. Despite the flaws with TPCi (what feels to me like a lack of quality, due to 4Kids setting the bar so high for voice acting), I have stuck with the TPCi dub all this time and I continue watching the new episodes. Granted, I hated Battle Frontier and D/P wasn't much better... But with B/W, the big improvements with the voice acting have allowed me to enjoy the B/W episodes. And that makes me somewhat happy. Sure, the TPCi dub isn't perfect. And it isn't as awesome as the 4Kids dub, in my opinion, but I think it's decent. ^^
    Last edited by Trainer Lisa; 29th August 2011 at 09:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I watch both because The English uses names and moves that I'm more familiar with, but I also enjoy the Japanese version because they sound more natural and original

Follow Gabo 2oo On Twitter
    Follow Gabo 2oo on Tumblr Visit Gabo 2oo's Youtube Channel

From Episode N onwards, I watch inmediately the original Japanese, then I watch parts of each new episode in English (usually the ones I couldn't understand in the original or scenes with voice acting that worry me), and finally the full episodes again in my native language dub, Latin American. The problem here is that currently, the Latin American dub is delayed by 60 episodes from the English dub, which is more than one year of difference. Which is pretty damn too much. The Latin American dubbing process for each episode is finished even before that same episode airs in the U.S., so it's the Cartoon Network schedule the guilty one.

I feel that the Japanese sounds more natural, I prefer its acting and specially the music, and since I was a little child without actually watching it I considered it the true, undoubtedly official version. Even though Mezase Pokémon Master was the first Japanese opening I ever saw, the true first "upcoming" opening I ever watched was Together, and I was so freaking dissapointed when, a couple of months after I learnt about the recently debuted English song. That's why Together is the opeing that definitely makes me nostalgic about Pokémon, while I kind of hate DP Adventure.

About the Latin American dub, I believe it does a better job than the English one. Even though the script is pretty free so the actors can say and do whatever the hell they want with their characters, they manage to make the Pokémon anime a very humorous show when it's needed. It makes boring fillers far more tolerable. I mean, even Team Rocket didn't truly lost their personalities in Best Wishes, keeping almost all the humor, the only difference was the TRio's competence and BGM. Plus the newest director rescued the series correcting all continuity problems and making all old VAs return, in exchange for Ash's, who had to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    America like to sensationalize everything and that's why we have Ash trying to appeal to youngsters with his annoyingly 'hip' phrases and attitude
    And sometimes they fail doing so. Ash's "Seems like Pikachu is gonna hit the wall" comes to mind. Unless that phrase was not trying to be hip and I'm just ignorant on urban slang...
    It doesn't matter if you aren't going to reach the goal, as long as you're still happy doing the trajectory.

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

I prefer the original overall, but I enjoy the 4Kids dub more in some aspects.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I prefer to watch the dubbed episodes. I've been doing it for years and I'd like to be able to understand what the characters are saying when watching an episode.

Follow Combusken on Tumblr

I can watch either, but I prefer to watch things with the audio turned off (...and I don't like most of the dub voices), so now I try to seek out subtitled episodes.

(I know, there's always closed captioning for the former.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gabo 2oo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    America like to sensationalize everything and that's why we have Ash trying to appeal to youngsters with his annoyingly 'hip' phrases and attitude
    And sometimes they fail doing so. Ash's "Seems like Pikachu is gonna hit the wall" comes to mind. Unless that phrase was not trying to be hip and I'm just ignorant on urban slang...
    I don't know the context of that line, but it's not.
    Gabo 2oo likes this.

I normally prefer subbed, pokemon is the only anime I prefer dubbed. It's mostly because I want to learn the English names for the pokemon and not the Japanese ones, but also because I've watched the dubbed version since I was very young and I've gotten used to their voices.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

English dubbed since I can understand it.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Why would I want to watch something in a language I don't understand (subbed or not) when I can watch it in a language I do understand?

Blog Entries

I like both because U can learn something different with Both Versions I think.

Destinies United Kalos Adventurer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dubbed Version. TPCi's dub is fine now. Even their openings. Yeah, IN COMPARISON to the 4Kids themes, It's Always You and Me doesn't stack up to a 4Kids theme, but as a stand alone theme, it's one of TPCi's better songs.
    Last edited by Kalos Adventurer; 23rd July 2013 at 06:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow FANG-TAN On Twitter
    Visit FANG-TAN's Youtube Channel

I strictly watch the Japanese version.

I never watch the English dub of *any* anime unless it's a really good dub like Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. Those are good dubs. Pokemon is not. I watched the English dub as a child, but like @Yamato-san, I eventually went back and watched all of those episodes in Japanese, replacing the English dub with it in my mind by default.

At the very least, there's no reason for people to have not watched the original versions of the first five Pokemon movies, especially the first movie. Raw and subbed versions of those are *so* easy to find, it's a shame people don't even look into it. People are missing out on some really great things that were present in the original versions because of this "durr I don't like reading subtitles/listening to foreign languages" BS mentality. Perhaps this is the reason why people haven't listened to the awesome CD Dramas + available translations?
    Last edited by FANG-TAN; 23rd July 2013 at 09:13 PM.

ぼくの一番大好きなアニメはCCさくらですよ。
    MY ANIME BLOG | YOUTUBE | TWITTER | JAPAN-BEST | SHANA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast