CONTEST: Do you find mid-battle evolution's cheap or perfectly acceptable?

View Poll Results: Acceptable or not?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

26 89.66%
  • No

3 10.34%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you find mid-battle evolution's cheap or perfectly acceptable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Do you find mid-battle evolution's cheap or perfectly acceptable?

Throughout the series, most notably recent in Best Wishes, we've seen alot of mid-battle evolutions. It's happened several times in the series overall as well. Do you find these events cheap, or perfectly acceptable from a story-line standpoint?

Post Thanks / Like
    Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Do you find mid-battle evolution's cheap or perfectly acceptable?

I don't have any problem with it. In fact, I think mid-battle evolutions are a great way to add to a Pokemon character's development and show how determined it is to fight its hardest for its trainer. It helps to show how strong the relationship is between the Pokemon and the trainer too.

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's acceptable to me.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I made a thread theorizing adrenaline as a trigger for evolution when a Pokemon is close to it. I'm okay with it and it could justify Pokemon Trainers as without that Trainer to fight for and with, the Pokemon might not have achieved their current strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I voted acceptable but to me it depends on what happened before, the personality of the Pokémon itself, what we saw from them, how this fits in their trainer's overall story, etc. Every case is unique, but it can definitely be done right and be totally acceptable.

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It never bothered me up until Best Wishes, where we've seen it used three times already in Gym Battles. The only one I didn't mind seeing it with was Gantle, mainly because it was a pretty cool scene.
    Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Duel Monsters Sengoku!

An original Yu-Gi-Oh Fanfic! Join Yuto Masamune and his Imperial Monster Patch-Eye Dragon as they take on Sengoku Academy!

Current Chapter -Turn 2: One-Eyed Duelist, One-Eyed Dragon! Impress Summon, [Patch-Eye Dragon]!

Yuto continues his Duel against Shisa, a delinquent who calls himself a "Chain Duelist!". Just then, as Shisa's strong offense and defense overwhelms Yuto, a new type of summon occurs!

Comfort ghost Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Acceptable, as long as the Pokemon has a lot of battle experience already. Evolutions are always exciting moments, and they can make an intense battle even more enjoyable if done right.

Who is this git?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

It's acceptable because for pokemons to evolve, battles could act as triggers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As long as it's not overdone, and it doesn't happen too soon after a Pokemon is captured or has already evolved once.
    You Might Be A Redneck If...

You think The Nutcracker is something you did off the high dive.
    You've ever smuggled food out of an all-you-can-eat buffet.
    The original color of your carpet is an unsolved mystery.
    You've had more court dates than second dates.
    The closest you've come to royalty is eating at Burger King.
    You've ever stared at a carton of orange juice because it said "concentrate."
    You think a quarterhorse is that ride in front of K-Mart.

Post Thanks / Like

If there's a justified reason for evolution, by all means evolve mid battle, but it its just for the sake of not being strong enough, I disagree.

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow CliveKoopa On Twitter Add CliveKoopa on Facebook
    Visit CliveKoopa's Youtube Channel

I don't see any problem at all with mid-battle evolution. In the anime, pokemon can evolve at any time they please if they have the right level of experience so there's nothing wrong with evolving in the middle of a battle whatsoever.

Load of Belloni
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it is kind of cheap. Well, the way they write it is, at least.

"Oh no, Sewaddle is on the ropes! It can barely stand and has no effective attacks!"
    EVOLUTION
    "Aww yeeeaaauh, Swadloon. Now it is inexplicably healed from it's prior injuries and I shall command it to use a move it just conviniently learned!"

"Oh geeze, Roggenrola is pretty much stone cold dead at this point!"
    EVOLUTION
    "Kewl, Boldore. Now that you're completely healed somehow, use that super effective move you just so happened to learn at the most crucial moment!"

"Oh shit, Tranquil's goose is cooked!"
    EVOLUTION
    "Awesome, Unfezant. Talk about Super Luck! You were completely exhausted just moments before, but you're all better now and have superior flying abilities, so use Aerial Ace since it can't possibly miss the target!"

I mean, I don't mind if the battle is good, but c'mon. The way they write it eliminates that element of strategy and quick thinking that these scuffles are supposed to be about.
    Last edited by Grave-E; 29th April 2012 at 08:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well... can't think of any other way they would evolve, so it's fine. I'm not bothered by the fact that the evolved versions usually learn a new move since you know, their body construction changes so it makes sense, more or less. Not really a fan of how evolution causes a full heal in the show though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kairyu View Post
    Well... can't think of any other way they would evolve, so it's fine. I'm not bothered by the fact that the evolved versions usually learn a new move since you know, their body construction changes so it makes sense, more or less. Not really a fan of how evolution causes a full heal in the show though.
    Well, their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt0044 View Post
    Well, their body is being reconstructed so maybe the damage they took in battle is repaired in the process.
    Like in the TCG!

I find them a positive solution, as long as they go by acceptable evolution methods(NO WTF? WHERE'S THE STONE/ITEM/TRADE/etc./? EVOS)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast