CONTEST: Which character had the worst dialogue (including COTDs, and either 4Kids or TPCi)?

View Poll Results: Worst dialogue? (Either 4Kids or TPCi)

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ash

3 13.04%
  • Dawn

1 4.35%
  • Cilan

8 34.78%
  • Jessie

11 47.83%
  • James

11 47.83%
  • Meowth

13 56.52%
  • Brock

3 13.04%
  • Iris

7 30.43%
  • Other

5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Which character had the worst dialogue (including COTDs, and either 4Kids or TPCi)?

Will Rip Titles 4 Money speedingbulletbill's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow speedingbulletbill On Twitter Add speedingbulletbill on Facebook Add speedingbulletbill on Google+ Add speedingbulletbill on MySpace
    Add speedingbulletbill on Linkedin Follow speedingbulletbill on Tumblr Follow speedingbulletbill on Flickr Visit speedingbulletbill's Youtube Channel

Default Which character had the worst dialogue (including COTDs, and either 4Kids or TPCi)?

Of the TPCi dub, for me, DP Trio had the worst dialogue. If I really had to choose just one, though, Meowth.

As for 4Kids dub, idk. I'm sure some COTDs had a bad line or two, but none come to mind at the moment.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which character had the worst dialogue (including COTDs, and either 4Kids or TPCi

Aside from PUSA-dubbed Team Rocket, probably Misty in Johto.

I blame Rachael Lilis for this (not sure if it were different in Japanese), but she started voicing Misty with a calmer and slower voice, almost like Misty was sleepwalking in the episodes. The lines the writers gave her at the time was just usual random observation comments, so that coupled with Rachael Lililis "sleepy" tone she gave Misty, its no wonder why her character felt dulled in that saga.

It wasn't "bad" dialogue, it was just, "bland." Thankfully when AG rolled around Misty was written better and she became likeable.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Which character had the worst dialogue (including COTDs, and either 4Kids or TPCi

Out of JJM, I vote Jessie for her "I told you to buy BREAD!" quote, as well as all her Contest dialogue (some of them were just off the top...)

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Blog Entries

The characters with the worst dialogue would be the Team Rocket Trio, particularly the DP trio because it was so cheesy and annoying whenever any of them talked.
    I also find that Cilan's and Brock's dialogue got a little annoying.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Zoppi's TRio.

argh, just....argh

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As far as 4Kids go i can't really think of anyone at moment. At least not when it comes to main characters with original VAs doing pretty good job at conveying character emotions and personalities in conceivable and natural manner not feeling forced or cliched.
    Cal me biased but aside from few minor nitpicks i have not much to complain at least when it comes to protagonists.

However with TPCI dub its different story though. There are few candidates and in BF top contenders would probably be Ash who sounded more like girl lacking his charm and charisma of naive impulsive kid, Brock who sounded like 40 year old die heard smoker at times and May wasn't that great either sounding more spontaneous and easy to relate to through way Veronica voiced her.

Granted new VAs vastly improved later on(especially wioth BW imo) but still i can understand people disappointment and complaining at start being chore to sit some of this voices through when PUSA started out.

Anyhow if i would have to choose just one, it would probably be Team Rocket in DP. Most of their jokes were lame, there were no witty puns, that shtick and lively dialogue between characters trying hard to be funny but failing at it. Thankfully i had opportunity to watch some of DP episodes in Japanese and i noticed notable difference with lines and interactions feeling more natural and humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fighting Misty View Post
    Aside from PUSA-dubbed Team Rocket, probably Misty in Johto.

I blame Rachael Lilis for this (not sure if it were different in Japanese), but she started voicing Misty with a calmer and slower voice, almost like Misty was sleepwalking in the episodes. The lines the writers gave her at the time was just usual random observation comments, so that coupled with Rachael Lililis "sleepy" tone she gave Misty, its no wonder why her character felt dulled in that saga.

It wasn't "bad" dialogue, it was just, "bland." Thankfully when AG rolled around Misty was written better and she became likeable.
    Can't say i noticed that. Misty still seemed highly energetic and full of flare as character in her interactions with Ash, Brock or various characters they met such as Sakura.
    Perhaps she sounded abit calmer but that was more sign of maturity writers took character through, not having much to do with voice actor.And it was never to the point of character feeling dull to me still sounding as being full of life whenever having chance to shine and portray qualities showing that flamboyance and tough attitude in her dynamic with others. Imo Rachael Lillis was able to portray Misty tomboyish personality in excellent way adding emotion and depth to character dialogue. She reflected well Misty development and maturity through she went in Johto, chronicles and AG too, making character sound believable and easy to relate too.

But i guess we all have different opinions on someone quality and how well he performs voice for certain character.

Follow lewisr88 On Twitter
    Follow lewisr88 on Tumblr Follow lewisr88 on Flickr Visit lewisr88's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnboy View Post
    The characters with the worst dialogue would be the Team Rocket Trio, particularly the DP trio because it was so cheesy and annoying whenever any of them talked.
    My vote also goes for these three. Before the latest run they would irritate the hell out of me with their repetitive dialogue and routines.

Blog Entries

Follow Zexy on Tumblr Visit Zexy's Youtube Channel

Also Cilan: "It smells like freshly baked bread and cheese!"
    speedingbulletbill likes this.

I got a scum result on that bush! LYNCH IT LYNCH IT LYNCH IT!

Blog Entries

Off the top of my head i'd say Kenny in DP. From the sound of his voice to the way he delivered his lines. I found him dull and cliche and just plain annoying.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

*Keep in mind I am NOT talking about the voices. I am talking about WHAT the characters are saying.*

Ash, Jessie, James, & Meowth (TPCi dub)

I mean, what the heck happened here?

Don't get me wrong, 4Kids were NO masters of dialogue and script writing, but they were nowhere near this godawful with the script writing for these characters...O_O. Seriously, I do not remember the main characters having such awful dialogue in the 4Kids dub.

Sure, they had some lame modern-day tie-in lines, but nothing this jarring or OOC.

Some of Ash's lines are the corniest and lamest lines I've ever heard in TPCi's dub.

Examples:
    "I got me the Ability Symbol!" (BF)
    "Hey Pikachu, remember, my mom's watchin'!" (BF)
    "Please I know you like it but can you get off that?" (DP)
    "Whoa, she's holding a...*gasp* Pokeball!" (DP)
    "Whoa, Nathaniel reminds...me of me!" (DP)
    "The only reason I told you to dodge when we battled is because it was the right thing to do!" (DP)
    "Pikachu's just about to hit the wall!" (BW)

Who honestly thinks this sounds appropriate for either a 10 year old boy or for Ash Ketchum? I mean, it's just so lame and OOC. It's like they're trying to make him seem more "cool" and "hip" and failing miserably in the process.

I think Team Rocket goes without saying, but here are a few examples of why I dislike their dialogue:

"Pilfering us a bunch of primo Pokemon!" (Jessie: DP-BW)
    "Grabbing ho and away we go!" (James: DP)

In addition to the constant, never-ending assortment of alliterations, rhymes, puns, and just plain OOC dialogue...gives me a migrane trying to figure out what they are trying to say.

I must say I am NOT surprised Meowth has the most votes out of everyone, though. What with "dig it, jack," "lugs," and various other obnoxious lines and dialogue, it's no wonder people feel he has had the worst dialogue.

Misty's Sisters (4Kids Dub)

UGH...they were always obnoxious and like totally fashion girl what-evah-ish. Never liked that and it made them seem even more annoying and full of themselves than the JPN version ever made them seem.
    Last edited by Pokémon Master Ash; 4th August 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Destinies United Kalos Adventurer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(4Kids) Brawly and his "surf lingo". Oy vey...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gen6fan View Post
    Oh god, I remember that now! Bad memories: "gnarly, dude," "surfin' the right waves brah," among other various surf related lines. Eek...

The TPCi equivalent would be Marlon, hands down. Pretty much did the same thing and tried to use this "cool" and "hip" dialogue.

Speaking of "Oy vey," that's yet another one of Meowth's OOC lines I dislike since TPCi started doing the dialogue.
    Darth Darkrai likes this.

Destinies United Kalos Adventurer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post
    Oh god, I remember that now! Bad memories: "gnarly, dude," "surfin' the right waves brah," among other various surf related lines. Eek...

The TPCi equivalent would be Marlon, hands down. Pretty much did the same thing and tried to use this "cool" and "hip" dialogue.

Speaking of "Oy vey," that's yet another one of Meowth's OOC lines I dislike since TPCi started doing the dialogue.
    However, I didn't mind Brawly calling Ash "little dude". IMO, that sounded (somehwhat) natural.

Cilan and his cringe-worthy food puns.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalTensionPKMN View Post

However, I didn't mind Brawly calling Ash "little dude". IMO, that sounded (somehwhat) natural.
    Yeah, that was alright.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast