CONTEST: Which of Ash's friends made the least impact on his journey? - Page 7

View Poll Results: Who least impacted Ash's journey?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Iris

24 23.76%
  • Cilan

7 6.93%
  • Brock

10 9.90%
  • May/Max

42 41.58%
  • Misty

13 12.87%
  • Dawn

5 4.95%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Which of Ash's friends made the least impact on his journey?

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Which of Ash's friends made the least impact on his journey?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Gary View Post
    I disagree. May's imapact on Ash's character deserves to be in the league of Brock, Misty and Dawn, not in the league of Max and Tracey.
    It is evident from watching Kanto/Johto/OI and Hoenn. A significant shift in Ash's personality was noticed. He wasn't a immatured retarted brat like he used to be in earlier sagas. His silly boastful rants reduced. He had a young rookie trainer to accompany with, besides she did not like pokemon to begin with. This further increased the load of responsibilities on Ash's shoulder. It was totally a situation in which Ash was never exposed to. Later on it was pretty much the same case with Dawn, but let's not forget there was Brock too. Besides, Dawn wasn't afraid of pokemon to begin with.
    May had more flaws to begin with than Dawn. Ash assumed the mentor role to May which automatically induced maturity in himself(which ultimately affected his own personality). Of course Ash still had his old willingness to battle, never give up attitude but that was tempered with maturity in AG. Brock was with Ash in previous 2 sagas, Ash and Max hardly interacted, I don't think this shift in Ash's personality has anything much to do with the absence of Misty from AG cast.
    So, my conclusion is that it was May who indirectly brought this change in Ash's character during AG which was further noticed in Sinnoh.
    Ash started to mature as character already in Johto before Hoenn even started.You can notice he became more strategic in pokemon battles not using so much reckless approach like he used to in Kanto as well not being so immature and naive compared to his starting days.His change in character already started to happen before Hoenn being influenced by his loses and new things he learned.
    All of things which you said about May didnt directly influenced Ash as trainer with help coming more from Ash side.He was taking up mentor role establishing relationship teacher-student which influenced Mays character with her contest battles becoming visibly similar to Ash style of battling in gyms.
    Ash influenced May to that point that she came to realization how she doesnt need help of him anymore wanting to find her own style as coordinator which she showed to achieve during her return in Wallace Cup.

Not to say May didnt left any impact on Ash being on one part responsible for his maturity but compared to Brock or Misty she didnt criticized him so much pointing out his flaws, coached and mentored him in learning new things about pokemon battles,didnt prepared strategies like Brock did for him with situation becoming reversed.WE cant deny that May learned more from Ash than Ash did from her at that point,simply because he wasnt anymore immature brat and rookie needing so much help as trainer like he required in starting days.

Same with Dawn aside from mutual friendship and encouragement which Ash received from past traveling companions she didnt influenced him to same extent like past traveling companions did.He used some of her contest combination of attacks for his later battles but on most part he was already capable and mature as character and trainer not having to rely on others like he used to before.

Proud Multishipper!! Emerald Gary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post

All of things which you said about May didnt directly influenced Ash as trainer with help coming more from Ash side.He was taking up mentor role establishing relationship teacher-student which influenced Mays character with her contest battles becoming visibly similar to Ash style of battling in gyms.
    Ash influenced May to that point that she came to realization how she doesnt need help of him anymore wanting to find her own style as coordinator which she showed to achieve during her return in Wallace Cup.
    I never said that May directly influenced Ash's character, I said she did it indirectly. If someone assumes the mentor role to somebody for the first time, quite often his/her own personality gets affected from this mentor role.
    Yes, Ash started to mature in the middle of Johto. But, still Hoenn Ash is different from mid-johto Ash. He still relied on Brock(mostly) and Misty(to some extent) towards the end of Johto. In hoenn his tendency to rely on others significantly reduced. It directly affected his chemistry with Brock in Hoenn and Sinnoh.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemon fan 132 View Post

WE cant deny that May learned more from Ash than Ash did from her at that point,simply because he wasnt anymore immature brat and rookie needing so much help as trainer like he required in starting days.
    True

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Gary View Post
    I never said that May directly influenced Ash's character, I said she did it indirectly. If someone assumes the mentor role to somebody for the first time, quite often his/her own personality gets affected from this mentor role.
    Yes, Ash started to mature in the middle of Johto. But, still Hoenn Ash is different from mid-johto Ash. He still relied on Brock(mostly) and Misty(to some extent) towards the end of Johto. In hoenn his tendency to rely on others significantly reduced. It directly affected his chemistry with Brock in Hoenn and Sinnoh.
    I guess we can agree on Ash being influenced by May in personality department being responsible on one part for his maturity,with his reliance on others indeed being significantly reduced in Hoenn compared to Kanto,Orange or Johto days.
    I suppose we can say how his gradual change as character in Johto started to be influenced by his rivals,friends(because of motivation) and new things he acknowledged with May introduction and take up of role as her mentor expanding more on that change with maturity of Ash character being increased.

Im just saying is that as trainer he was influenced probably the most by Misty and Brock.

Blog Entries

At the moment it is hard to say, all of Ash's travelling companions have had some impact on Ash in one way or another... with possibly the exception of Tracey... because despite liking the character I can't think of a thing he did to help evolve Ash's character.

But until we see the full impact that Iris and Cilan have on Ash, the only thing we can do is speculate as to which companions have had the most/least impact on his character. Oddly enough I think May & Max get a bad rap in these sort of situations, despite the fact that Max did as much in his time with Ash as his sister did, and they had almost the same impact as Misty, Dawn, or Brock. Brock may have helped Ash's character development in the beginning, but during some of Johto, much of Hoenn, and almost all of Sinnoh he was delegated to background comic relief. Misty had a huge impact on Ash's character, both in visual and subtle ways that are seen best in hindsight. But her impact on Ash dwindled after she left and the episodes in which she returned seemed more for nostalgia. The same thing happened with May, and if Dawn or Brock return for one or two special episodes, the same will be true with them.

Even some of Ash's minor travelling companions, Todd Snap, Ritchie, Barry, Lyra and Khoury had some impact on Ash's character... some even more than Tracey did... Sorry Tracey?

So to paraphrase whate I often say... Wait until you have seen the whole picture, keep an open mind free of preconceptions and jumped conclusions.

"What we create in the present is merely a shadow, nay, a reflection on our past."
    Quote from little known author: Lee Austin
    Inkay - Officially Claimed

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

Iris and Dent. I can't see any "impact" from them to Satoshi.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

But Iris is belittling him, how is that not impacting him? Didn't Misty do the same?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliscor'd View Post
    But Iris is belittling him, how is that not impacting him? Didn't Misty do the same?
    Satoshi (mostly) doesn't care about it. And there is no real conflict between them (except BW34).

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd say Max.

Ash had an impact on Max's journey, but Max had almost no impact.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Satoshi (mostly) doesn't care about it. And there is no real conflict between them (except BW34).
    Wasn't Iris supposed to be his guide through Unova? What happened to that?

Max, because other than being one of the smarties in the group and being the one to pull Brock away, he wasn't much of a main character, well in my case I believe.
    Land of the rising sun

Wasn't Iris supposed to be his guide through Unova? What happened to that?
    What's this and what's that got to do with anything?

Blog Entries

The only sign that Ash hasn't completely reset is that he doesn't rise to it like he used to do with Misty's taunts. Maybe that's the one sign that he has matured.
    I don't think it would make him perform any worse for it though, if anything that attitude would push him to work harder.
    Anyway. they seem to have kind of dropped it now, and most of Iris's disapproval lies with Dent's exuberant behavior.

Blog Entries

I wonder why this poll played out the way it did. Perhaps like Tracey, I should have not included Max in the poll either, that way people would only have to choose between the most important main characters.

I purposely excluded Tracey for this reason, because with his short run and character, he had not much importance.

I wonder why this poll played out the way it did. Perhaps like Tracey, I should have not included Max in the poll either, that way people would only have to choose between the most important main characters.
    Maybe you shouldn't count Masato and Haruka as same person? And what's the point of the poll if you didn't list all of Satoshi's friends? Kasumi-bashing?
    Last edited by martianmister; 23rd June 2011 at 06:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by martianmister View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't count Masato and Haruka as same person?
    I wouldn't, but you have people treating them like a set. Likewise if I excluded Max from the poll, you really think the votes would be different?

And what's the point of the poll if you didn't list all of Satoshi's friends?
    Because Tracey obviously didn't make much impact so I excluded him because everyone would vote for him. Orange Islands would have played out almost exactly the same if it were just an Ash and Misty adventure whether Tracey was there or not. Likewise if I excluded Max it would be for the same reason besides the Ash eps he interacted with him.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast