• Other

4 4.88%
  • He should learn to travel by himself

7 8.54%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ash's Best Partner

Blog Entries

Default Re: ashes best partner

I honestly find it too difficult to vote on this poll. Both Cilan and Iris create a truly fantastic, quirky and balanced trio, even more, dare I say it, more balanced than the original. Cilan may not have a competitive role (although he does have a rival) he still manages to keep his Connoisseur traits interesting and nor do they feel forced or unnecessary.

As for Iris, she's just altogether brilliant. I see her as the new female character with all the best bits of past characters rolled together into one, and yet she still manages to stand out from the crowd.

It's too hard for me to choose between Cilan and Iris, so I'm going to just leave it at that. Both Cilan and Iris bring out the best in Ash, and the two of them have managed to bring me back to the anime with their great combination.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Night Owl View Post
    I honestly find it too difficult to vote on this poll. Both Cilan and Iris create a truly fantastic, quirky and balanced trio, even more, dare I say it, more balanced than the original. Cilan may not have a competitive role (although he does have a rival) he still manages to keep his Connoisseur traits interesting and nor do they feel forced or unnecessary.

As for Iris, she's just altogether brilliant. I see her as the new female character with all the best bits of past characters rolled together into one, and yet she still manages to stand out from the crowd.

It's too hard for me to choose between Cilan and Iris, so I'm going to just leave it at that. Both Cilan and Iris bring out the best in Ash, and the two of them have managed to bring me back to the anime with their great combination.
    I Don't like iris she's a rude snob and I see no appeal I am legitimately confuse how anyone can like her. AND if they bring out the best in Ash why does Ash suck now losing to noob is the best in him REALLY. In DP Ash was pushed to the limits and Dawn gave him good strategies. So my vote is for Dawn cause she gives Ash the respect he deserve and if Iris thinks Ash is stupid why is she following him
    around and Trip said her logic is flawed can't she get it through her think skull that Ash is a foreigner how is that brilliant but back on topic

Dawn inventing the counter shield shows she is the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkara
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Princess of Sinnoh martianmister's Avatar

By partner, first thing I was thought was Pikachu. But if you mean his human friends, I would prefer Hikari.
    1. Satoshi/Ash Ketchum: 801 episodes
    2. Team Rocket: 736 episodes
    3. Takeshi/Brock: 633 episodes
    4. Kasumi/Misty: 282 episodes
    5. Hikari/Dawn: 201 episodes
    6. Haruka/May: 197 episodes
    7. Masato/Max: 192 episodes
    8. Iris: 141 episodes
    9. Dent/Cilan: 138 episodes
    10. Kenji/Tracey: 44 episodes

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alphaphlare View Post
    I Don't like iris she's a rude snob and I see no appeal I am legitimately confuse how anyone can like her. AND if they bring out the best in Ash why does Ash suck now losing to noob is the best in him REALLY.
    How is Iris rude or a snob? She's just as polite as any of the past female characters, although I'm guessing you're referring to her signature "Such a kid," remarks she aims at Ash. This doesn't label her as rude, though. The only reason she does this anyway is to wind Ash up, showing more character than someone who is just going to follow behind him and agree to every suggestion he makes.

Let's not forget that Iris has also praised Ash as well on various occasions, and we can see he impresses him from time to time.

And to answer your question, Best Wishes can be seen as something of a restart of the Pokemon Anime. Ash has went back to committing the same mistakes he did in the first ever series because it's meant to seem as if he's a green-horn trainer all over again; a fresh start. That's why Brock is no longer on the show, and the same reason why almost every has been reset to same level of the first series; even Ash's battling skills.

It's Fishing Time~ JennaJayfeather's Avatar
    Blog Entries

think about who you like to watch the most
    Dento Dento Dento Dento Cilan~

who would go best with ash
    Dawn

who is the strongest
    Physically - Iris
    Mentally - Max, Brock and Dento
    Pokemon - May or Dawn

and which one do you think would be the best in a dificult situation
    ...umm...my mind is telling me to say Dento...but HIS EPIC SCREAM tells me no.

EDIT: Oh mah GAWD I left out Misty and Tracey T_T I tried to put everyone on here!!!

MISTY AND TRACEY (added :3)

I would love to say them all, But if I had to chose it would be a tie between Dawn and Misty.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

Ash was really close to all of them, but he seemed to be closest to Brock and Misty. And Dawn to a lesser extent.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Blog Entries

How is Iris rude or a snob? She's just as polite as any of the past female characters, although I'm guessing you're referring to her signature "Such a kid," remarks she aims at Ash. This doesn't label her as rude, though. The only reason she does this anyway is to wind Ash up, showing more character than someone who is just going to follow behind him and agree to every suggestion he makes.

Let's not forget that Iris has also praised Ash as well on various occasions, and we can see he impresses him from time to time.

And to answer your question, Best Wishes can be seen as something of a restart of the Pokemon Anime. Ash has went back to committing the same mistakes he did in the first ever series because it's meant to seem as if he's a green-horn trainer all over again; a fresh start. That's why Brock is no longer on the show, and the same reason why almost every has been reset to same level of the first series; even Ash's battling skills.

1 So you are saying the it's the writers' fault Ash sucks and not his companions' that's fair but that does not fully answer the question this is clearly not Ash at his best making the same mistakes etc. ALSO the things Ash did do right had nothing to do with Iris and Dento. Was it dent's encouragement and taste that made Ash reach out to the kids at the school? Was it Iris not stfuing that made Ash except losing to a n00b TWICE without being mad at all? Was it Cilan's expierence as a connoisseur that made Ash help that injured pokemon? Was it Iris' Xenophobic pride in her village that gave Ash the know how to pull off a comeback against Arti? NO NO NO NO HELL NO!!!!!!!
    2 Iris won't shut up about Ash's quirks with that annoying phrase. A lot of the times Ash is right so it does show character it shows she's mean. Her pride in village and calling Ash ignorant for not knowing about Unova seems like xenophobia (plus her super power make that far worse). She act like all that in a bag of chips for no good reason other than "I have powers bitch". Also "He is such pain" anyone all I can say is You're a pain Iris. You look me in the eye and tell me she's not a snob.
    3. Tell me What are these "best bits" from May Misty and Dawn you were talking about earlier cause I don't see them. Did Iris invent the counter shield? No Dawn did so she is CLEARLY superior.
    Gary reveals that he already has six pokemon. And judging by the pokemon around that area I'm guessing he has a rat a bird two bugs AND anouther bird

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

In my opinion, no partner was the absolute best. It depends on what you call a good traveling partner, and they all had/have their pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark One View Post
    wow... not much love for iris or cilan (or max and tracey for that matter)

i find it kinda funny how all the girls (and brock) get all the votes =D
    Iris and Cilan are too new.

- Misty: other than hinting for a possible romance i tend to find her character shallow.

- Tracey: Tracey who? probably one of the most forgettable companions. If he had not started working at oak's lab we would have never heard from him again.

- May: Ranking a bit higher than the previous candidates, but merely because she was the first female companion who actually achieved something on her own. Coordinator for Pokemon is still a travesty in my opinion though.

- Max: May's sidekick. Little brother complex etc. Never made a real impression and never developed into a character which could stand on its own.

- Dawn: She won some and she lost some. If she had evolved that annoying piplup then at least i could find some redeeming qualities.

- Brock: My choice for Ash his best partner is brock. While often portrayed as comic with the nurses and jennies (or any other skirt) he was at the very least a capable trainer/breeder. And it is the longest traveling partner of Ash. Brock wins the competition hands down.

pokemon fan 132 pokemon fan 132's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ash seem to be close with many friends he traveled with but i will narrow choice to three which left biggest influence on him in positive sense in my opinion:
    Brock-his longest traveling companion who took care of him helping him a lot on his journey being like coach and mentor(more often in earlier sagas)teaching him useful strategies.They seemed at times like being two brothers forming strong bond of thrust and friendship between them.It can be also noticed how much Brock was familiarized with Ash knowing him.

Misty-Ash longest traveling female friend.She developed strong friendship with him with time becoming more opened toward each other with her character serving like mentor pushing him forward providing big moral support helping him to grow as trainer.Rival spark which existed between them strengthen their connection even more being close as friends.

Dawn-to some extent helped Ash with his battling strategies by taking some of contest techniques used for appeals implementing them in his own battling style.They encouraged each other to achieve their dreams providing moral support which grew in strong friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre27 View Post
    - Misty: other than hinting for a possible romance i tend to find her character shallow.
    Personally i find her character to be complex because she had wide range of emotions she expressed,being both temperative but also sweet inside having her girly moments.From her anger and sarcastic remarks to unselfish and caring nature .There were several sides which often clashed with each other.With one being fierce and passionate while other sensitive and receptive.

- May: Ranking a bit higher than the previous candidates, but merely because she was the first female companion who actually achieved something on her own. Coordinator for Pokemon is still a travesty in my opinion though.
    I always wondered how she went with her contest career in Johto.Going by her last performance in Wallace Cup she had pretty good chance to go all way winning Grand Festival becoming top coordinator of that region.

Blog Entries

1 So you are saying the it's the writers' fault Ash sucks and not his companions'
    Exactly what I meant.

but that does not fully answer the question this is clearly not Ash at his best making the same mistakes etc. ALSO the things Ash did do right had nothing to do with Iris and Dento. Was it dent's encouragement and taste that made Ash reach out to the kids at the school?
    Point taken, that was Ash's own character and the relations he felt between him and the group of children. Though I don't see how this helps prove your point.

Was it Iris not stfuing that made Ash except losing to a n00b TWICE without being mad at all?
    Well it did make Ash want to try that extra bit harder to win against Trip. And don't forget that it was Iris who secured Ash his second and third battle with Trip in the first place

Was it Cilan's expierence as a connoisseur that made Ash help that injured pokemon?
    What injured pokémon? When the group come across an injured pokémon, all three show concern. Of course, it's going to be Ash who caries out helping the pokémon most of the time, him being the main character and all.

Not to mention Iris and Cilan participate most of the time.

Was it Iris' Xenophobic pride in her village that gave Ash the know how to pull off a comeback against Arti?
    Xenophobic? How is Iris in anyway Xenophobic?

How could Iris help Ash during a gym battle anyway? Unless you meant to say Lenora, in which case I admit, Iris could have been a bit more helpful.

But both of them were supportive and told him what he should improve on to defeat Lenora.

2 Iris won't shut up about Ash's quirks with that annoying phrase. A lot of the times Ash is right so it does show character it shows she's mean.
    Admittedly, Iris is clearly a proud character, but that only proves she isn't two-dimensional

Her pride in village and calling Ash ignorant for not knowing about Unova seems like xenophobia (plus her super power make that far worse). She act like all that in a bag of chips for no good reason other than "I have powers bitch". Also "He is such pain" anyone all I can say is You're a pain Iris. You look me in the eye and tell me she's not a snob.
    She isn't xenophobic! Nor is she a snob! She showed pity over Tepig in BW004, she helped Amy train her Druddigon in BW030 and she finally overcame Excadrill in BW036... not to mention she showed high amounts of character in that episode.

3. Tell me What are these "best bits" from May Misty and Dawn you were talking about earlier cause I don't see them. Did Iris invent the counter shield? No Dawn did so she is CLEARLY superior.
    I mean Iris can relate to Ash's past female partners. She, like Misty, has a very strong character and finds fun in teasing Ash at times.

Like May she has her irrational fears over the silliest of things. (Ice type Pokémon)

And like Dawn, she has had to overcome the challenge of training a disobedient pokémon.

And yet, she still stands out far from the crowd.

Blog Entries

Exactly what I meant.

Point taken, that was Ash's own character and the relations he felt between him and the group of children. Though I don't see how this helps prove your point.

Well it did make Ash want to try that extra bit harder to win against Trip. And don't forget that it was Iris who secured Ash his second and third battle with Trip in the first place

What injured pokémon? When the group come across an injured pokémon, all three show concern. Of course, it's going to be Ash who caries out helping the pokémon most of the time, him being the main character and all.

Not to mention Iris and Cilan participate most of the time.

Xenophobic? How is Iris in anyway Xenophobic?

How could Iris help Ash during a gym battle anyway? Unless you meant to say Lenora, in which case I admit, Iris could have been a bit more helpful.

But both of them were supportive and told him what he should improve on to defeat Lenora.

Admittedly, Iris is clearly a proud character, but that only proves she isn't two-dimensional

She isn't xenophobic! Nor is she a snob! She showed pity over Tepig in BW004, she helped Amy train her Druddigon in BW030 and she finally overcame Excadrill in BW036... not to mention she showed high amounts of character in that episode.

I mean Iris can relate to Ash's past female partners. She, like Misty, has a very strong character and finds fun in teasing Ash at times.

Like May she has her irrational fears over the silliest of things. (Ice type Pokémon)

And like Dawn, she has had to overcome the challenge of training a disobedient pokémon.

And yet, she still stands out far from the crowd.
    My point for #1 was that "the things Ash did do right had nothing to do with Iris and Dento" and besides the thing with Trip you did not argue for your original point.

For #2 She is xenophobic because she won't shut up about her village and teases Ash for not knowing about Unova. You mentioned she did nice things, a snob can do nice thing look at Captain Hammer. She is a snob because she doesn't shut up about her sixth sense which existence makes no sense and how great her village you don't see me saying "I'm better than you cause I'm from San Francisco" cause that is MESSED UP.

For #3: I'm limited to sub so I didn't even see episode 36 OR 35(takes over a 10 days to make sub really) yet but thank you for explaining yourself it's been a while since AG so I don't remember that about May can you please give me a example. Also Ash does not deserve the treatment Iris give her but He did deserve being tease by Misty.

AND DAWN STILL THE BEST CAUSE COUNTER SHEILD ROX MY SOX

Blog Entries
    Follow Appletree On Twitter

First, the worst traveling partners of Ash are Max and Tracey.

They didn't have inpact on Ash at all, they didn't motivate him (Ash motivated Max of becomming a strong trainer like him). Tracey's role was just...filler.

The most fantastic traveling partners of Ash, are with no doubt, Misty, Brock, May, Dawn, Cilan and even Iris, they happen to be my favorites too.

Misty was the beginning of Ash's motivation. Not Pikachu, not Ho-oh, but Misty. She traveled with him from the Kanto until the Johto region. She was always there for her best friend.

Brock was like an older brother (or even a father like friend) he never had, he was also a great inpact on Ash. You can't deny this.

Ash learned most of the things from Dawn (and vice versa), like counter shield, Ice Aqua jet etc. Due her, it was even possible to reach the Top 4 in the Sinnoh League. Also, she always cheered him on, so did he in every contest Dawn practiced (unlike May).

Even Iris is a motivation for Ash. I know that "such a kid" quote is irritating for viewers, but it does motivate Ash somehow. Also, like Night Owl said, she did praise Ash of many occations.

Cilan is the same thing as Brock, but in a much lesser degree.
    Last edited by Appletree; 14th April 2012 at 04:18 PM.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    First, the worst traveling partners of Ash are Max, Tracey and May.

They didn't have inpact on Ash at all, they didn't motivate him (Ash motivated Max of becomming a strong trainer like him, and he trained May as the best he could, but they didn't anything for him). Tracey's role was just...filler.
    They weren't supposed to motivate him. As said the roles were reversed with Ash being the one doing influencing.

Likewise giving that as a reason for saying they're his worst travel companions is absurd. The Hoenn group on average showed far more cohesive chemistry than the DP trio ever did, regardless of Ash picking up techniques from Dawn.

Likewise the mentoring from Misty and Brock stopped right after Kanto, so I don't see where you're getting the impression Ash was constantly learning from them. I'd like to see your response to this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast