Vegetarian recipes that are easy and cheap?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jda95

Thread: Vegetarian recipes that are easy and cheap?

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Vegetarian recipes that are easy and cheap?

So I have a couple of problems:
    a) I am a broke college student,
    b) I am a lousy chef, and typically very lazy
    c) I am trying to see if I can go vegetarian for all but one meal a day, basically for the reasons outlined in this video - raising meat and the food needed to feed those animals for the numbers that people usually consume them is a huge waste of resources, and it would be a great idea if more meat-eaters who don't feel they can take the plunge to vegetarianism or veganism simply try to eat less meat, because having a small proportion of the population give up meat totally while the rest of us eat as much as we always did isn't doing enough. (For those of you who think I'm just believing everything YouTube tells me, I'd actually been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to take the plunge with the Vlogbrothers' encouragement. Lol.)

And so I'm looking for more vegetarian and vegan recipes that are really easy and don't cost much, because it seems like a lot of my meat-eating is due to relying on crappy fast food for many of my meals when I'm too lazy to cook. I know that in terms of food you prepare, it's cheaper to eat veggies and fruits and grains than it is to eat a lot of animal products, but even then those meals usually require too much for my laziness.

Anyway...

I don't want something like "Late-Night Bacon" (I'm not a complete idiot), I want something that requires actual preparation and thought but not too much time or too many ingredients. Here's an example of the level of complexity I'm talking about (and a free recipe for my fellow lazy, broke college students!)

Microwaveable Omelet
    Note: This is basically my own variation on a recipe from this book.

You will need:
    -2 eggs
    -Milk
    -Salt
    -Pepper
    -Butter
    -Cheese
    -Any "fixings" you want to add to your omelet: chunks of lunchmeat, onions, peppers, capers, etc. (capers can give it a funky aftertaste sometimes, though).

1. Take a small chunk of butter and put it in a microwave-safe bowl and nuke it for about 15 seconds or until the butter melts.
    2. Break two eggs in the same bowl and beat them. Then add enough milk that there should be a pretty even amount of egg and milk in there (I'm sure there's an exact measurement, but I usually eyeball these things) and beat it with the eggs until it's pretty even throughout.
    3. Stir in a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
    4. Add whatever fixings you want into the mix and stir them in.
    5. Nuke the sucker for about 1.5-2 minutes.
    6. Take it out and lay/sprinkle your cheese of choice on top of the omelet.
    7. Nuke for another 30 seconds-1 minute or until the cheese has totally melted. Let sit for a couple of minutes before eating.

While this is vegetarian (if you skip the lunchmeat add-ins) it's obviously not vegan, and I'd really like to try some recipes that use less animal products. Anyone have suggestions?
    (Also the fact that I used a microwaveable recipe doesn't mean I'm opposed to using a stove or oven. Things I don't have: toaster, blender (though I do have a juicer but don't really know how to use it), hot plate or anything fancier than those.)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Default Re: Vegetarian recipes that are easy and cheap?

This mushroom risotto recipe is actually one of the easiest meals to prepare (it only takes around 20 minutes and the majority of that is in the microwave) and it's totally delicious (which is impressive considering I don't even normally like mushroom). It also makes quite a lot so you'll have plenty for either others or to keep as leftovers.

Ingredients
    60g butter, chopped
    1 leek, halved, washed, thinly sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 cup arborio rice
    3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
    400g mushrooms, sliced (we used Swiss brown cups, buttons, shiitake)
    50g parmesan cheese, finely grated
    1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped

Method
    1. Combine 20g butter, leek and garlic in an 8-cup capacity, heatproof, microwave-safe bowl or rice-cooker. Cover loosely with paper towel. Microwave on HIGH (100%) for 2 minutes or until leek is soft.
    2. Add rice. Stir to coat in butter mixture. Microwave, uncovered, on HIGH (100%) for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups stock. Cover and microwave on HIGH (100%) for 5 minutes, followed by 7 minutes on MEDIUM (50%).
    3. Stir in mushrooms and remaining stock. Cover and microwave on MEDIUM (50%) for a further 7 minutes. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
    4.Add parmesan, parsley and remaining butter. Season with pepper. Stir to combine. Spoon into bowls. Serve.

Source
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    which is impressive considering I don't even normally like mushroom)
    That's good to know since I normally don't like mushrooms, either. :)

Can I use just shiitake? Those are the only mushrooms I've had where I like them enough. And wow, this recipe really is easy!

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Goodbye Blue Monday View Post
    Can I use just shiitake? Those are the only mushrooms I've had where I like them enough. And wow, this recipe really is easy!
    The recipe said you can although I've only had it with.... er, regular mushrooms that you buy in the supermarket. If you like them I'm sure they'll be fine. And yeah, it's super easy. All you have to do is chop, stir, and microwave!

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

This is one of my favorite meals if I want to go vegetarian! You don't need ALL the ingredients on that list and it's so easy to just toss things together in a bowl:

Spicy Vegetarian Peanut Noodle Salad Recipe : : Recipes : Food Network

Blog Entries

Stir fry? I make that all the time without meat... just add peppers, onions, broccoli, snow peas, and whatever other veggies you want. Then fry it in oil with garlic and whatever sauce you want to use. Then add rice and eat it. Tada, no meat.