Odori don - The new dish where a squid comes "back to life" and dances on your plate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Odori don - The new dish where a squid comes "back to life" and dances on your plate

Registered User vuvuzela2010's Avatar Archives Junior

Default Odori don - The new dish where a squid comes "back to life" and dances on your plate

Diners in Japan looking for a moving experience over dinner can now order a squid that dances off their plate.

A restaurant has created a dish, named Odori don - literally meaning dancing squid rice bowl - by adding soy sauce to a fresh squid.

The high salt content in the sauce reacts with ions in cells of the squids' tentacles creating voltage differences, and making the squid move.

To prepare the dish, chefs at Ikkatei Tabiji, in Hakodate, Japan, first remove the head of the squid before serving the body, with tentacles intact, over a bowl of sushi rice.
    Seasoned soy sauce is then poured over it.

As the squid is served so fresh, when the sauce is added signals across nerve cell membranes are re-activated temporarily, making it 'come back to life'

The body is then removed and prepared by the chef to be served as a side accompaniment.

The meal, which is proving popular with diners, costs around ¥2,000 or £15.30 per person

The dish is such a success that the restaurant have patented the name of the creation.

Now other restaurants in the area have begun making their own versions of the Hakodate dish, under different names.

Well, if anyone ever wanted to find out what is the tackiest meal in the world, this is probably it. Would anyone here actually try this?
    Piqutchi and Axxonn like this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Odori don - The new dish where a squid comes "back to life" and dances on your pl

Oh... oh god. That was horrifying.

I will never, ever eat that in my life.

The horror. The horror.

Default Re: Odori don - The new dish where a squid comes "back to life" and dances on your pl

That's equal measures gross/terrifying and cool. I was pulling a D: face during the entire video.
    Black FC: 1807 1891 9813

shsl mad scientist
    Blog Entries

Follow Melon Collie on Tumblr Visit Melon Collie's Youtube Channel

I would not eat it, just watch it dancing. XD
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Aestivate on Tumblr Visit Aestivate's Youtube Channel

That was HORRIFYING. Ugh.

I wouldn't eat it, I'd be too disturbed...

Savage Rain!

I'd give it a try, since I've never had squid before. The dancing is pretty cool, and I'm not grossed out.

DCM
    Blog Entries

this is a fantastic story. thanks for posting this!
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

I have to say, I watched a lot of shock sites and this was the absolute.... worst.

I would only eat that if they threatened death.

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I'm sorry, but that is just sickening. I think I'll stick to my fried calamari, thanks. D:
    back to being a non-edible pastry

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

I think those baby octopuses where you eat the whole body are horrifying enough.... having my food come back to life is probably not top of my list.

Blog Entries

He/She will be dancing in someone's mouth
    If The Squid was not yuck before Odori don probily taste wrost
    I'm not here
    This isn't happening
    I'm not here

Blog Entries

Poor squid. D:
    I could never eat that because it's gross, and I feel bad for the dead squid.
    My GPX+
    My 3DS FC is 5412-9933-2792.
    DON'T
    like my posts. It just annoys me.

Endless. Endless. J. S. Köttbulle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was deeply amused. Assuming there's no mortality rate (like Fugu or live octopi) I'd at least try it.

Braiiiiiiiiiiiiiiins...
    Last edited by J. S. Köttbulle; 24th August 2011 at 02:22 AM.
    Fizzy Bubbles
    - Jovi's Lament - Fantastic Voyage!? - Mother And Child - Teenager Mystery Dungeon: Explorers Of Reality -
    A person is not defined by their tastes, rather it is the other way 'round.

Blog Entries

I'd watch it.

I may take a little bite ;D
    yourlilemogirl likes this.

Blog Entries

That's freaking awesome. I want to try that. Just like squid sushi except with a show :D
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast