Help with Birthday Meal - Filet Mignon

Thread: Help with Birthday Meal - Filet Mignon

Blog Entries

Default Help with Birthday Meal - Filet Mignon

Greetings, my fellow food-o-philes.

I'm planning on preparing some Filet Mignon in a couple of days for my best friend's birthday. I already have a recipe for it, but I was hoping some of you may help me out with any tips or personal variations you may have, also what you'd use to accompany it and what kind of wine to go with the meal.

She already loves my cooking, but it's still meant to impress, so as long as it can be found in a local supermarket, feel free to suggest anything. And I mean anything.

Registered User Giovanni Sakaki's Avatar

Default Re: Help with Birthday Meal - Filet Mignon

I'm not confident or knowledgeable enough to help you sorry (normally I'd just say fry it up with some garlic and onions but obviously this is someone's birthday not my quick dinner xD) but I just wanted to say I love your icon and it's funny you should mention Filet Mignon because in my headcanon that's one of Giovanni's favourite foods.
    It suddenly occurred to Domino that Team Rocket was a massive game of Telephone, using actual telephones, with real-life results that could be really damn scary (for other people, of course).
    Domino sprite in my avatar made by http://jaydeis.deviantart.com/

Blog Entries

I'd recommend marinading it and grilling it over charcoal if possible. Nothing like it.

Also, some tips:

When grilling, don't turn the meat over and over. Best to cook one side completely and then flip and do the other side until completely done. No unnecessary flipping, it dries the meat out.

Also, when you take the meat off the grill, let it rest for a few minutes to let the hot juices settle and return to the middle of the meat for optimum juiciness. A lot of people make the mistake of serving and eating the meat immediately after they are taken off the grill.

Finally, when you cut it, make sure to cut the meat against the grain. It will make every bite much more tender and delicious.

Super Moderator Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

This belongs better in the How do you prepare a meal thread