Got any good beginner recipes?

Thread: Got any good beginner recipes?

Blog Entries

Default Got any good beginner recipes?

Hey y'all! (Yep, I said "y'all".) I've always wanted to get into cooking but I've never had any way of actually starting.

Most of the stuff seems kind of difficult and confusing. Basically, I was looking for some recipes that even I could make to start off. The only experience I have is making a very basic Indian lassi with yogurt, water, salt, and sugar. Oh, and I make a pretty rockin' bowl of cereal.

So, please leave any recipes that aren't too complicated and are great for beginners! (And I'd like them to actually taste good, but I assumed you knew that.)

Actual Cannibal Shiay LaBeouf Shiay's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiay On Twitter Add Shiay on Facebook
    Follow Shiay on Tumblr Visit Shiay's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Got any good beginner recipes?

I've made buttermilk biscuits rather easily. Maybe you can, too? o3o~ They're very good~

You'll need:

2 cups flour
    1 Tbsp. baking powder
    1/2 Tbsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. baking soda
    6 Tbsp. butter
    1/2 milk (can add more if needed)

Also, these ingredients are optional if you want to make them into maple cornbread muffins (which is kind of what I'm ripping this recipe off of):

Switch 1 cup flour for 1 cup corn meal
    3/4 cup maple syrup

To start off, you'll need to soften the butter. While the butter is softening, take this time to preheat the oven to 425º F/218º C.

Once the butter is softened, place it in a bowl. It's best if you also cut the butter into 1 Tbsp. chunks, that way it's easier for it to break apart and mix in with the batter.

Next, mix in the baking powder, soda and the flour together. Stir in with the butter until the butter is blended in somewhat with the batter. Doesn't have to be completely mixed in -- you can still be able to see chunks and be fine with the outcome.

When you have that done, mix in the milk and stir till you have a semi smooth batter mixture. I say 'semi', because having some lumps in there is actually okay (just make sure they're not HUGE, that would be bad).

Grease, butter or lightly dust the bottom of the pan you're going to use with flour so that the batter doesn't burn or stick to it once you take it out of the oven. Place the batter on the sheet in rows of dollops that are about the size of a good spoonful. You should have about eight good biscuits there. Also, and this is optional, you can glaze the top of the biscuits with honey. Be sure not to let it dribble down onto the sheet, as the honey burns and makes the biscuits stick to the sheet regardless.

Leave biscuits in there for about fifteen minutes, or until a nice golden brown colour.

Voila! You have buttermilk biscuits! \ouo/

deviantART | Perfect Lie | The Sinclair Journal | Level Up! | My Fanclub | Fallout Fanclub | Morty/Matsuba Fanclub | Left 4 Dead Group | TERA Player

Tempest Reach Server
    Jaydin.Byrd/37/Human/Warrior | Alloura/20/Elin/Priest | Jaysen.Biel/20/Castanic/Warrior | Kayan/6/Castanic/Archer
    Azrea/5/Castanic/Warrior | Gwenevire/8/Elin/Sorcerer | Jak.Sinclair/18/Human/Warrior | Sylsalis/10/Castanic/Archer

Celestial Hills Server
    Vaiha/15/Castanic/Slayer | Thalifra/16/Castanic/Sorcerer | Shiay/13/Human/Slayer | Mirielle.Maltrusse/23/High Elf/Mystic
    Nuell/20/Castanic/Archer | Open | Open | Open

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Presenting the world famous Toll House chocolate chip cookie recipe

I've added oatmeal and cranberries to this (and occassionally both), and it is very good!
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

This "late night bacon" recipe probably counts. I mean, it's related to the Food network.
    Team Fairy

Sprites from Serebii.net

Blog Entries