Cook's Corner - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cook's Corner

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Ooh, I just tried these two recipes today, and they were awesome:

Quote Originally Posted by Vichyssoise
    An awesome potato soup that I ate hot and without half-and-half instead of cold and with (as it's "supposed" to be served).

Yield: ½ gallon (10 6-oz servings)

Ingredients:
    10 oz leeks, white part only, chopped fine
    ½ onion, minced
    ¾ fl oz vegetable oil
    1 sachet of 2 cloves, 2 parsley stems, 2 peppercorns, and ½ a bay leaf
    1 lb 4 oz diced potatoes
    5 cups chicken stock
    12 fl oz chilled half-and-half
    ½ bunch chives, snipped into little pieces
    1 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground white pepper

Process:
    1. Sweat the leeks and onion in the oil until tender and translucent.

2. Add the sachet, potatoes, and stock. Bring to a full boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the potatoes begin to fall apart, about 20-30 minutes.

3. Remove and discard the sachet. Place the mixture in a blender & purée. Strain it for extra smoothness, if desired. Cool rapidly.

4. To finish the soup for service, add the half-and-half, fold in the chives, and season to taste with salt & pepper.

Variation: Forget the half-and-half, the chives (maybe), and cooling it; just eat it as a nice, hot, dairyless potato soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup
    A nice tomato-y soup that, in my opinion, tastes better hot. We didn't have vegetable stock available, so we used plain water. It probably would have been better if we did have vegetable stock, but it was good nonetheless.

Yield: ½ gallon (10 6-oz servings)

Ingredients:
    2 oz minced garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    ½ lb chopped celery
    12 oz (by weight) chopped onions
    2 3/8 oz chopped leeks, white part only
    1 ½ lb roasted plum tomatoes
    4 cups vegetable stock or tomato water*
    2 oz basil
    1 bay leaf
    ½ tsp salt
    1/8 tsp ground black pepper
    Garnish:
    ½ lb small-diced yellow tomatoes
    ½ oz basil chiffonade

Process:
    1. Lightly sauté the garlic in the oil.

2. Add the celery, onions, and leeks, and continue to sauté until fragrant.

3. Add the tomatoes, stock, basil, and bay leaves. Simmer 40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.

4. Remove the bay leaves and purée the soup in a blender. Season with salt and pepper. Chill.

5. Adjust seasoning before service, if necessary. Garnish with yellow tomatoes and basil.

Variation: Eat hot, not cold. Use regular tomatoes if you can’t or don’t want to use yellow ones as garnish (or just forget them, but it is better with tomatoes as a garnish). Using plain water (and the juices from the roasted tomatoes) is ok if you can’t or don’t want to use vegetable stock or tomato water*.

*Tomato water: Chop up some tomatoes, salt them well, then hang them up overnight in cheesecloth over a bowl. No, I don't know how much tomato makes how much tomato water.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

When I did cooking back in year 10 we made the best stuff, like coconut chicken and peppermint slice. I wish I could find my old cooking books but I cant.

Blog Entries

Visit Kthleen's Youtube Channel

Cute little chicken salad-filled profiteroles!

Quote Originally Posted by Profiteroles
    Cute little balls of dough that are naturally hollow. D'aww, wookit 'em!

Note: I'm allergic to dairy, but these (which contain butter) didn't hurt me. I don't know if it's because I didn't injest much [I had a few, but they're hollow], or if baking broke down whatever I'm specifically allergic to, or if my body's a random fickle bastard, or what, but... yeah.

Yield: I calculated 20 pieces (this is half the [supposedly] 40-piece recipe I was given), but I think I actually ended up with almost 40 anyway. >_>

Ingredients:
    4 fl oz water
    2 oz butter
    2 ¼ oz all-purpose flour, sifted
    2 eggs
    ½ tsp salt

Process:
    1. Combine the water, butter, & salt, & bring to a boil.

2. Add the flour all at once & stir well; cook until the mass comes away from the pot (which ought to happen fairly quickly).

3. Transfer the mixture to a mixer with a paddle attachment & mix on medium speed for about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, to achieve a stiff but pliable texture.

4. Transfer the dough to a pastry bag with a No. 5 plain tip (or just use a plastic bag, cutting a corner off so that the hole is a quarter of an inch) & pipe the desired shape onto parchment-lined sheet pans. (1-in balls [slightly larger than a U.S. quarter] produce profiteroles; other shapes such as éclairs may also be prepared.)

5. Bake at 400ºF until golden brown, then reduce the temperature to 325ºF to cook through, 12-15 minutes.

6. When ready to fill, slice off the tops with a sharp knife. Add the filling & replace the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Chicken Salad Profiteroles
    Now a nice filling for the profiteroles.

Yield: Supposedly 15 pieces. I think we had enough salad for all of the profiteroles made above, but I wasn't the one who filled them. (If we did, then they really need to check their recipes....)

Ingredients:

NOTE: To suprême a citrus fruit is to remove the skin, pith, membranes, and seeds, and to separate its segments.

1 cooked chicken leg, small diced
    1 oz tomato concassé
    ½ lime, suprêmed & small diced
    ¼ oz roasted pepper, small diced
    ½ tsp minced jalapeño
    ½ oz minced shallots
    ½ clove garlic, minced
    1 tbsp chopped cilantro
    1 tsp chopped marjoram
    1 tsp minced chives
    salt, as needed
    ground black pepper, as needed
    15 profiteroles

Process:
    1. Combine the chicken, tomato, lime, roasted pepper, jalapeño, shallots, garlic, & herbs. Season with salt & pepper. Marinate for 2 hours under refrigeration.

2. Split the profiteroles & fill with the chicken salad.
    Last edited by Kthleen; 23rd October 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Awesome sauce. I've been looking for a recipe to use up some of my eggs. I also have loads of apples so I think I may combine your first recipe with apple slices and see how that turns out.

-In Simple Harmony-

☭ The Great Uniter ☭ Mißingnåen's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cook's Corner

I'm bringing this thread back to life!

Here are some relatively recent things I've made:

My specialties are burgers and breakfast foods. I don't have any in depth recipes or anything since I take a real wing-it approach to cooking. I'll post more pictures, but other people have to contribute first!

On a different note, does anyone have a recipe for a good stir fry sauce? Last time I made stir fry, I used soy sauce, a little bit of sesame oil, some pepper sauce, garlic powder and cornstarch for thickness. It came out a bit too salty, and kind of bland. I also don't want to cheat again and get "stir fry sauce" from the international aisle (though that was pretty delicious).
    Last edited by Mißingnåen; 14th October 2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Fyrirgefðu

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

It's a bit late now but if you're interested, remind me tomorrow of writing my fish in mustard sauce recipe. For those who haven't tasted eat, you're gonna love it whether you like fish and/or mustard, or not <3

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post
    I'm bringing this thread back to life!

Here are some relatively recent things I've made:

My specialties are burgers and breakfast foods. I don't have any in depth recipes or anything since I take a real wing-it approach to cooking. I'll post more pictures, but other people have to contribute first!

On a different note, does anyone have a recipe for a good stir fry sauce? Last time I made stir fry, I used soy sauce, a little bit of sesame oil, some pepper sauce, garlic powder and cornstarch for thickness. It came out a bit too salty, and kind of bland. I also don't want to cheat again and get "stir fry sauce" from the international aisle (though that was pretty delicious).
    That looks great!

I made a special sandwich, with three different lunch meats, crushed tortilla chips, black pepper, mayonnaise, sharp cheddar cheese, and a sprinkling of seasoning salt.

Humanity's Strongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

that sounds really good, i might have to try that, even though im not big on sandwiches
    tumblr(not spoiler free)

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    That looks great!

I made a special sandwich, with three different lunch meats, crushed tortilla chips, black pepper, mayonnaise, sharp cheddar cheese, and a sprinkling of seasoning salt.
    Chips are a great way to make a sandwich more interesting. In Pittsburgh a big thing is putting coleslaw and french fries on sandwiches. I usually don't like coleslaw, but theirs is oil based instead of mayonnaise based, so I like it. I do like mayonnaise, but not with coleslaw for some reason O_O

Here's more food that I made. These are both very simple but were delicious.

Sorry about the quality of the images, they were all taken from my phone.
    Fyrirgefðu

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Crêpes!! They're elegant and dainty but really easy to make. Don't be intimidated by this French Pastry!

My sister always makes these, and I love the way she does it. I use the same ingredients, but mine never turn out as good as hers :(

Crêpetacular Crêpes
    Cooking Time: Approx 3 Min per Crêpe. Prep Time: 5 Min

Ingredients
    3 Eggs
    1 Cup Milk
    1 Cup Flour
    1/3 Cup Oil (You may substitute 1/2 stick melted butter)
    1 Teaspoon Vanilla

Preparation
    Whisk eggs together in small bowl

In a large bowl, beat flour and milk together.

Stir in the beaten eggs, oil and vanilla. Beat until you reach an off white loose consistency.

Cooking
    Note: You may use a large nonstick skillet, but a flat griddle iron is tradition. Either way produces the same result. I prefer a skillet to manually get the flat, even consistency.

Warm the skillet under high heat.

Note: If you've made pancakes, this should seem very familiar.

If you wish, you may use a non-stick cooking spray or very light coating of butter, but since oil is used, the crêpes shouldn't be sticking.

Using a ladle pour mix over the skillet. [Nothing more than 1/4 cup]

The batter should spread thinly and uniformly over the skillet. If you need to, pick up the handle and rotate until batter spreads uniformly circularly around the pan.

Let batter warm for two-three minutes or until sides begin to curl or crisp.

Using a wide spatula, flip the crêpe and let cook for another minute.

Note: The first crêpe tends to get runny or shriveled if the skillet didn't heat thoroughly. This is fine. The successive crêpes will always be better.

Check to see both sides have turned to a golden color. Don't let the crêpes sit too long, they needn't get crispy.

When cooked, place aside on large plate and repeat for remaining batter.

Filling

This is really up to you. Crêpes either come in the sweet or savory variety.

Just line your ingredients down the center of the crêpe and roll it from one side. It's all up to your imagination.

Try different combos!

For Savory:
    Try filling with
    -Egg, Cheese and Spinach
    -Ham and Cheese
    -Sausage Link bits and Egg
    -Spinach and Feta

For Desert:
    -Strawberries and Jam
    -Strawberries and Nutella
    -Banana and Nutella
    -Icecream and Bananas
    -Whipped Cream and any fruit

Or as I showcased in the image above:
    Strawberries, Bananas, Nutella and Honey

You can even use syrup

Seriously, go nuts, or use nuts. It's that versatile!
    Sometimes I just eat them plain D:

Serves 7-10
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMissingno. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Green View Post
    That looks great!

Chips are a great way to make a sandwich more interesting. In Pittsburgh a big thing is putting coleslaw and french fries on sandwiches. I usually don't like coleslaw, but theirs is oil based instead of mayonnaise based, so I like it. I do like mayonnaise, but not with coleslaw for some reason O_O
    I completely agree where you're coming from. I once made an awesome chili dog this way, true story.

Your concoctions look delicious :9
    Last edited by Rayne; 15th October 2010 at 05:32 PM.

-In Simple Harmony-

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rayne View Post

Crêpes!! They're elegant and dainty but really easy to make. Don't be intimidated by this French Pastry!

My sister always makes these, and I love the way she does it. I use the same ingredients, but mine never turn out as good as hers :(

I completely agree where you're coming from. I once made an awesome chili dog this way, true story.

Your concoctions look delicious :9
    Crepes are amazing O_O. In 9th grade, we used to have crepe day in French class. Mademoiselle brought in her "crepe maker" (which I guess was just a skillet) and we made crepes in class. It was a pretty delicious day to be in school. I'll have to make them on my own sometime. Or maybe with my girlfriend, who was in my 9th grade French class. Then we can nostalgia and whatnot.

Thank you for posting that!

Tonight I made hot Italian sausage in (store bought, sorry =[ ) vodka sauce on spaghetti. My roommate tried to give me tips on how to make the spaghetti, even though he under cooks it and it's crunchy every single time >=[. Sorry about the mini rant. Italian sausage is easy and delicious.
    Fyrirgefðu

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

I'm really happy that this thread exists.

I'll share a simple recipe, for one of my favorite snacks/appetizers. I found it online somewhere, but I lost the actual instructions and so now I do it from memory:

Fried Ravioli

Ingredients: Ravioli (of your choosing, but I like cheese), bread crumbs, eggs, milk, oil, red sauce

Directions: Buy a bag of frozen ravioli. It's a lot easier than making them yourself and it'll save you a lot of time. Plus the frozen raviolis are pretty good, in general. As I said in the ingredients, I like cheese ravioli for this.

A normal bag of the frozen stuff will have about 24-40 ravioli, depending on their size and the size of the bag. For that much ravioli, mix a cup of bread crumbs and an egg in a bowl. You may need a little more than a cup of bread crumbs depending on just how many ravioli you have, but don't crack more than one egg per cup of bread crumbs. It's better that the mixture is on the dry side than on the thick, cake-y, wet side.

Fill a medium-sized frying pan with about an inch of cooking oil. Raise the heat to medium. You'll know when the oil is hot if you throw some bread crumbs into the pan and you hear a crackling sound on impact.

Make sure your ravioli are still frozen. Then dip them in milk. Whole milk works better--it has more 'stick.' Skim will suffice, though.

After they're dipped in milk, roll them in the bread crumb mixture and get them well-coated. Then drop them gently in the frying pan. A pan can fit between 6 and 20 or so at a time (depending on the size of the pan and the ravioli.) Let them fry for a minute, then flip them. Let them fry for another minute, then take them out. Drain them by pressing them on a paper towel.

Repeat the milk-breading-frying process until you've cooked all your ravioli. Make sure they're all drained, then serve with red pasta sauce.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

I must try making fried ravioli sometime, it is such a great idea! Thanks for posting it.

Strange is Relative Dewgong Reign's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Does anyone here have a good recipe for garden burgers? Also, how much cilantro do you think I should put in an omelet? About half a teaspoon per egg?

HAS RETURNEEEEDDD!!!! AlexandraTheZoroark's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's a recipe that I created and love, and it actaully tastes good, no matter how gross it seems.

Here it is... the one.... the only.... BACON YOGURT!!!!!!!!!
    And no, it doesn't taste gross.

Here's the recipe:

Quote Originally Posted by LucarioGirl's awesomely easy recipes
    BACON YOGURT

What you need:
    3-4 slices of bacon
    1 cup of plain vanilla yogurt
    Spoon

Directions:

1: Microwave the bacon slices for 20 seconds. Make sure you put a paper towel underneath the bacon on the plate. When taking it out of the microwave, use hotpads to pick it up (The plate might be hot). Dab the fizz off of the bacon with a crumpled paper towel. Let the bacon cool for 1 minute.
    2: Open the 1 cup container of vanilla yogurt, and break up the bacon into pieces. Use the spoon to mix the bacon into the yogurt. Enjoy!
    I actually made that, and it tastes REALLY good. Try it sometime!
    Formerly LucarioGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I am writing a paper on dakimakuras.

I've only written four paragraphs, but it's already five pages long...
    deviantART|Scratch|YouTube|Fanclub

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast