The History Hunt

Thread: The History Hunt

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The History Hunt

EDIT from Hallow♥: This thread has been closed due to age, post numbers, and inactivity.

The rules of this game are simple. When it is your turn, you will post 3 to 5 pictures, which ALL much have be linked to a common historical figure. For example, if my historical figure was Thomas Hobbes (philosopher), I could post a picture of the biblical creature, the Leviathan (which is also the title of one of Hobbes' books), a picture of his birthplace (or a monument of the city he was born in), and a picture of the creator of Calvin and Hobbes.

Once this post is made, the other players must attempt to guess the identity of the person. Once it is guessed correctly, the person who guessed get to post his or her own pictorial clues.

A (relatively) easy one to begin with :

Last edited by ChinYao; 16th July 2011 at 11:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sure this is wrong, but I just have to take a guess...I'm compelled to.

Is it Samuel de Champlain?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nope.

Clues :
    The first is something he WORKED FOR.
    The second is somewhere he LIVED (but FAR, VERY far from wher he was born).
    The third is someone he INSPIRED
    The fourth is something he FOUGHT
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Napoleon Bonaparte?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Got it.

William Adams, who served under Sir Francis Drake. He sailed from Rotterdam to the Far East in 1598, finally arriving in Kyushu, Japan, in 1600. He was eventually given the privileges of a samurai and renamed Miura Anjin, becoming the first foreign samurai. He was the inspiration for James Clavell's novel Shogun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yup.

The flag is the Dutch flag.
    The picture is of Yokosuka, Japan, where he lived for part of his life (or near where).
    The person is James Clavell.
    The fleet is the spanish armada.

Your turn, Barb :)
    Sooooo...watch out!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This should be fairly easy:

Post Thanks / Like

Let's see...
    We've got something written in cuneiform, the site of Babylon, and the Supreme Court of the United States.
    I'm going to guess Hamurabbi
    波導は我に有り

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your guess is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

This one shouldn't be too hard.

波導は我に有り

φιλομαθής Zhen Lin's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Post Thanks / Like

I see:

2D projection of a tesseract. (My favourite 2D projection, in fact.)

A diagram of the refraction of a light beam.

Andrew Wiles, the man who finally proved Fermat's Last Theorem (OT: the history of it, as a blog), by way of proving a special case of the Taniyama-Shimura theorem.

I'm sorry, I really can't draw the connection between optics and {Andrew Wiles, tesseract}. The connection between Andrew Wiles and the tesseract is clear enough - the Taniyama-Shimura theorem revolves [no pun intended] around elliptic curves and modular forms, both of which can be represented in hyperbolic space [though, IIRC, the theorem only concerns elliptic curves over rational numbers?] - in which the tesseract resides. One failed proof of Fermat's Last Theorem also involved hyperbolic space.

Anyway. So... perhaps it has something to do with the history of Fermat's Last Theorem. Perhaps I need to find a physicist who contributed to optics, among the mathematicians who were involved.

Perhaps it's Monsieur Pierre de Fermat himself... Fermat's principle?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zhen Lin
    I see:

2D projection of a tesseract. (My favourite 2D projection, in fact.)

A diagram of the refraction of a light beam.

Andrew Wiles, the man who finally proved Fermat's Last Theorem (OT: the history of it, as a blog), by way of proving a special case of the Taniyama-Shimura theorem.

I'm sorry, I really can't draw the connection between optics and {Andrew Wiles, tesseract}. The connection between Andrew Wiles and the tesseract is clear enough - the Taniyama-Shimura theorem revolves [no pun intended] around elliptic curves and modular forms, both of which can be represented in hyperbolic space [though, IIRC, the theorem only concerns elliptic curves over rational numbers?] - in which the tesseract resides. One failed proof of Fermat's Last Theorem also involved hyperbolic space.

Anyway. So... perhaps it has something to do with the history of Fermat's Last Theorem. Perhaps I need to find a physicist who contributed to optics, among the mathematicians who were involved.

Perhaps it's Monsieur Pierre de Fermat himself... Fermat's principle?
    Correct, it's Pierre de Fermat.

The connection of the tesseract to Fermat is more direct than the one you've constructed.
    Cubem autem in duos cubos, aut quadratoquadratum in duos quadratoquadratos...
    波導は我に有り

Post Thanks / Like

Well, yes, of course.

Here's a more difficult one, I suppose.

About clue 3 & 4: the ideas represented therein are analogous. Clue 3 is more relevant, though clue 4 is not entirely irrelevant...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see :

The Rosetta Stone
    Thomas Young
    A picture containing egyptian words and their greek translation.
    A picture containing chinesse words and their english translation.

My answer : Jean-François Champollion.
    He translated the Rosetta Stone
    Expanded the works of Thomas Young on the topic
    And his translation rested on the fact that the Rosetta Stone was written in multiple languages (importantly enough, Greek and Egyptian)
    Sooooo...watch out!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it is him.

What he discovered that enabled him to make the breakthrough was this: hieroglyphs, like kanji, were not pictures with some sort of inherent meaning, many of them were built around the rebus principle - spelling words by using other words that sound similar. He was one of the first to dare to suggest that most hieroglyphic writing was based on this principle.

Thomas Young [clue 2] steadfastly refused to believe this - he assumed that they only used it in spelling out 'foreign' words and names, like the cartouches of Ptolemy and Cleopatra, which he had deciphered.