Why do people keep using the same teams - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do people keep using the same teams

Default Re: Why do people keep using the same teams

Seems like everyone I am battling is using Talonflame and Greninja and a lot of rotom-W too. why I do not know, I beat them 9 out 10 times.
    Favorite Pokemon is Aggron!
    3DS Friend Code : 2234-7218-8224

Join the toad side! Emperor Palpitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You can still be successful with pokes that are not OU against OUs. I defeated a Mega Kangaskhan with a Gogoat(and Mega Kanga is banned in Smogon, right?)
    JOIN THE TOAD SIDE
    AND MAY THE BLUE FORCE BE WITH YOU
    AND I AM NOT YOUR FATHER!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gomez16 View Post
    Seems like everyone I am battling is using Talonflame and Greninja and a lot of rotom-W too. why I do not know, I beat them 9 out 10 times.
    As said earlier in the thread, those 3 are the best at what they do. Same reason M-Charizard Y is the most common Mega. People gravitate towards Pokemon that are easy to build a team around. You rarely see Cacturne, Clefable, and Leafeon because they are difficult to build around. Slap a Rotom-W on a team and 9 times out of 10 it works. For me I put a Scarf Rotom-W on my team and it helped immensely.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Blog Entries
    Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

Play in a lower tier.

People want to win, they're going to use the stronger Pokemon.

Registered Use-ARR! Captain Tentacruel's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I happen to really like Ferrothorn. I've never seen anyone else use it, though. I mostly see ubers and legendaries, against which my fossil team's been doing pretty well today.
    Crystal Onix | Shiny Metagross | Analytic Magnezone | 3DS FC: 5386 7563 8820

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Metagross View Post
    I happen to really like Ferrothorn. I've never seen anyone else use it, though. I mostly see ubers and legendaries, against which my fossil team's been doing pretty well today.
    Seriously? Ferrothorn is one of the most common defensive walls in the game.

YouTube|Breeding Service
    Pokemon FireRed Let's Play with episodes released every weekday at the Youtube link

Registered Use-ARR! Captain Tentacruel's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TerraTF View Post
    Seriously? Ferrothorn is one of the most common defensive walls in the game.
    If that's the statistic, I could understand why. I'm just telling you what I've seen, though. If my experience is an anomaly, I can live with that.
    On a related topic, I only found out Ferrothorn was a good wall after I took a liking to it. i thought it had an interesting design and typing. That it could stand up to Iris's fire-type attacks was a happy coincidence.
    Crystal Onix | Shiny Metagross | Analytic Magnezone | 3DS FC: 5386 7563 8820

You could go play in a lower tiers although they have their staples as well. As long as people wanna win, we'll be seeing those same pokemon time after time and that's why they're Overused. Their niche is strong and their impact on the metagame is undeniable.

People just prefer to stick to tried-and-true methods. Pokémons like the ones you've mentioned are popular because they make things easier or at least have a strategy that is more popular, so it ends up being more familiar and people end up copying it endlessly. It's not even just the ones you've mentioned, depending on where you're playing and what kind of game there are going to be some pokémon that are completely overused. I don't play on sites like Pokémon Showdown a lot but from what I've seen there, in each tier there are pokémon that are completely overused.

I feel your pain. I hate battling with people most of the time because of this, it's just not fun if you're going through the same things over and over again instead of playing against the unique battle style of each person.

Personally, I think that every Pokémon can do well even in the OU environment if you are using it the right way. And "Using it the right way" is a very abstract description, but that's just the reality if you ask me.

I also encounter a lot of similar teams, which includes Greninja, Keldeo, Landorus, Rotom-W, Terrakion, Latios yadayadayada... which I personally think is very boring, but if it is what people want and like to use, it's just fine. I personally like to use Pokémon which are less popular, as I think they are much more interesting due to the fact that you don't see them very often. I then mix them with some of the more popular Pokémon, as I am playing both to have fun and to win.

I also use Greninja myself because I really like him and because he is so devastating in battle, but at the same time, I also use Pokémon like Gigalith even in OU battles because he is a very interesting Pokémon due to the fact that you never see him in online battles. That way, the surprise factor in battles also becomes much more relevant as the opponent don't always expect to face certain Pokémon and therefore becomes unsure about how to handle it. Gigalith serves as an excellent physical wall on my OU team as he generally have superior stats especially HP, Atk and Def, while his S.Def got a boost this gen from base 70 to base 80. He can also set up Stealth Rock and hit hard even when using him as a wall.

So, if people want to use the same teams all the time, that's fine with me. I personally just like to explore all the other possibilities when creating teams. I also have no problems facing the standard OU teams with my less popular choice of Pokémon, as I always consider my team very much and there fore are able to fight more popular teams very effectively. You should also note that the different tiers is not a Black/White facit of what is good and what is bad, but more of a guideline of what can be used to get good results in battle :)
    If you are looking for XY/ORAS Wi-Fi battles I'm always ready so just give me a shout!

3DS FC: 3454 0728 9992. Trainer name: Nikolaj.

I could care less about what people choose to use, it makes it all the easier to counter. xD In the Global Link's April Friendly last month, I ran a team consisting of a Prankspore (Assist copying spore 100% of the time and prankster) meowstic, ditto, and smeargle on one set and a Banded Scizor, Mega Aerodactyl, and Life orb Mewtwo to come in about the top 10%. Point is, most of the time, odd sets work wonderfully, like prankspore. ^_^ Prankspore feeds off of a lack of sleep clause, which I hate in the first place. It really harms Vivillon too much.

Blog Entries

One time I battled a team that had TWO Greninjas. I laughed. And killed them both. Yeah those pokemon you listed are pretty popular, it doesn't bother me that they are common because I know exactly how to wipe them out. it's the things that I don't expect which give me trouble. Things seem to go in waves though. At first I was seeing tons of Azumarills and I haven't seen one in a while lately. I'm seeing a lot more Smeargles though. Greninja is Omni present but he doesn't bother me. I actually don't use any of the pokemon you listed and nothing I use has substitute (mostly because I don't feel confident using sub strategies), and I win way more than I lose. Some of the things I play on my team are less common, like Scolipede and Mawile, but I do use common pokemon like Aegislash and Goodra becaue A. I like them a lot, B. they are GOOD pokemon, and C. They were available to me, not hard to get a hold of. What people use generally comes down to those three things: what they like, what works and what they can get at the time.

I'm reminded though of a quote from Miles Vorkosigan of the Vorkosigan Series: Never interrupt the enemy when he's doing something stupid.

Basically if other people are running the same shit that makes it pitifully easy to counter, don't complain, just wipe them out and gloat about it.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick- Or -Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scope and Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12