What do you think of Brandon's team? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What do you think of Brandon's team?

  1. #16
    Registered User k289s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    No, it's not unfair, but it just seems cheap.
    Yes thats what I mean, thats what I should have said, sorry. That makes more sense.

  2. #17
    Rocking the Lucario Thundagere's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,729
    Blog Entries
    17

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    I agree. When I do enjoy seeing brand new strategies, there's no reason for people to all have to make completely convoluted strategies. If they have a new and GOOD one, then they'll almost certainly use it because they'll do well.

    Made by Blue Dragon!

  3. #18
    Registered User k289s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundagere View Post
    I agree. When I do enjoy seeing brand new strategies, there's no reason for people to all have to make completely convoluted strategies. If they have a new and GOOD one, then they'll almost certainly use it because they'll do well.
    I've been liking my trick room team with Slowking, Gigalith, Octillery, and more. It has done very good in launcher battles, i've played around 20 battles today and I have won every one, but most didn't get counted since the other person's turned their games off right towards the end when they were clearly helpless. I don't get the main difference between Launcher and TRiple?

    Edit: This is a set that didn't take a lot of thought, but works. It's not a common team, but is still good.

  4. #19
    Registered User Cybertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    I used a Trick Room hail team at Regionals consisting of Abomasnow, Infernape, Slowking, Glaceon, Jellicent, and Gallade. Abomasnow and Infernape are pretty common but the others are hardly seen... do I get cool points? :)

    But yeah, I guess it is a bit cheap to take such a standard team and strategy and win with it. But if this wins Brendan two byes and his airfare to Nationals, why risk using a "non-standard" team at the very first Regionals of the season, where the metagame has only been defined by online battles and simulators?

    We'll be trying out some funky stuff at the Philadelphia Regionals since we already have our airfare and hotel rooms set for Nationals, so look forward to that ;)
    Last edited by Cybertron; 28th November 2011 at 06:05 PM.
    VGC 2012 Battles (and TCG matches soon!)
    2011 East Regional VGC Seniors Champion
    2011 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion

  5. #20
    Nope Setra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,861
    Blog Entries
    174

    Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    We'll be trying out some funky stuff at the Philadelphia Regionals since we already have our airfare and hotel rooms set for Nationals, so look forward to that ;)
    8-0 I wanna see!

  6. #21
    Merry Christmas! Oswin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,684
    Blog Entries
    38

    Follow Oswin on Tumblr

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    I used a Trick Room hail team at Regionals consisting of Abomasnow, Infernape, Slowking, Glaceon, Jellicent, and Gallade. Abomasnow and Infernape are pretty common but the others are hardly seen... do I get cool points? :)
    Yes, yes you do. How does that work? Brave Infernape?


    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    But yeah, I guess it is a bit cheap to take such a standard team and strategy and win with it. But if this wins Brendan two byes and his airfare to Nationals, why risk using a "non-standard" team at the very first Regionals of the season, where the metagame has only been defined by online battles and simulators?

    We'll be trying out some funky stuff at the Philadelphia Regionals since we already have our airfare and hotel rooms set for Nationals, so look forward to that ;)
    Yeah I see your point, plus it's not as if you are the only ones using the team.

  7. #22
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,162
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    I used a Trick Room hail team at Regionals consisting of Abomasnow, Infernape, Slowking, Glaceon, Jellicent, and Gallade. Abomasnow and Infernape are pretty common but the others are hardly seen... do I get cool points? :)
    You get infinite cool points for using Glaceon alone :3 (you would have earned infinite+1 cool points for using Flareon, but on a hail team I suppose Glaceon will do )
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  8. #23
    Registered User k289s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    47

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    I used a Trick Room hail team at Regionals consisting of Abomasnow, Infernape, Slowking, Glaceon, Jellicent, and Gallade. Abomasnow and Infernape are pretty common but the others are hardly seen... do I get cool points? :)

    But yeah, I guess it is a bit cheap to take such a standard team and strategy and win with it. But if this wins Brendan two byes and his airfare to Nationals, why risk using a "non-standard" team at the very first Regionals of the season, where the metagame has only been defined by online battles and simulators?

    We'll be trying out some funky stuff at the Philadelphia Regionals since we already have our airfare and hotel rooms set for Nationals, so look forward to that ;)
    Those are major cool points in my book. That makes more sense, yea I would agree on that, with free airfare to nationals. I really want to compete on the VGC, but the closest place is in San jose, I can drive, but my Parents wouldn't let me and they won't take me. It's about 5 hr's from where I am, here in Reno, NV

  9. #24
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Posts
    1,757
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    It's cheap, it's common, it's overrated and, most importantly, it's effective. I would guess that other types of weather, bar maybe Sandstorm, were almost completely ignored in this tournament, and that rain was the most common out of all of them, assuming that Politoed is on pretty much every team like on battle simulators, which means that there would be no battle over control of the weather. I haven't paid attention to the tournament, but I can guess that it was basically a tournament to see who had the best combination of Swift Swimmers.

  10. #25
    Registered User Cybertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Tyranitar is probably more common than Politoed is, just because Tyranitar can fit in a lot of teams. Sand is very versatile: You don't need to build your entire team around it. Not only does Tyranitar disrupt strategies such as Rain and Hail, it also has a LOT of bulk and power. Most teams in the older divisions didn't use Politoed because like I said before, it becomes dead weight in the game since it is not very strong offensively. Rain was incorporated into teams, but not the whole team would be dedicated to rain. A standard rain team becomes harder and harder to use against good opponents because they'll prepare for it and make sure they have countermeasures to stop it. I don't think one rain team won in the Masters division throughout that weekend.
    VGC 2012 Battles (and TCG matches soon!)
    2011 East Regional VGC Seniors Champion
    2011 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion

  11. #26
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,162
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Makes me wonder if, switching Attack for Sp. Attack, Abomasnow would see the same usage as Tyranitar if it had the same stats. Though I imagine Modest Specs (or even Scarf) max Sp. Attack Blizzard still kills tons of things in doubles.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  12. #27
    Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    In a Poke Mart.
    Posts
    1,198
    Blog Entries
    90

    Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Makes me wonder if, switching Attack for Sp. Attack, Abomasnow would see the same usage as Tyranitar if it had the same stats. Though I imagine Modest Specs (or even Scarf) max Sp. Attack Blizzard still kills tons of things in doubles.
    I think it would, but the only draw back would be the accuasy.


    I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

  13. #28
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,162
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx View Post
    I think it would, but the only draw back would be the accuasy.
    ...Except it wouldn't be a drawback because Blizzard is 100% accurate in hail?
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  14. #29
    Registered User Cybertron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    10

    Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

    Abomasnow is one of my favorite Pokemon. Hail's always been my favorite weather as well.

    However, one of the huge problems is that should your opponent have a Tyranitar (or Politoed/Ninetales) in their team, you can't safely Blizzard because there is always a chance that you miss what you need to hit.

    Blizzard totally screwed me over in VGC 2010. I used it without hail twice: Once at the Top 4 at Regionals, and once against the eventual National Champion at Nationals. Both missed the guys I needed to hit, and screwed me out of my Worlds Invitation that year.
    VGC 2012 Battles (and TCG matches soon!)
    2011 East Regional VGC Seniors Champion
    2011 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •