What do you think of Brandon's team? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What do you think of Brandon's team?

Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    No, it's not unfair, but it just seems cheap.
    Yes thats what I mean, thats what I should have said, sorry. That makes more sense.

Blog Entries

I agree. When I do enjoy seeing brand new strategies, there's no reason for people to all have to make completely convoluted strategies. If they have a new and GOOD one, then they'll almost certainly use it because they'll do well.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundagere View Post
    I agree. When I do enjoy seeing brand new strategies, there's no reason for people to all have to make completely convoluted strategies. If they have a new and GOOD one, then they'll almost certainly use it because they'll do well.
    I've been liking my trick room team with Slowking, Gigalith, Octillery, and more. It has done very good in launcher battles, i've played around 20 battles today and I have won every one, but most didn't get counted since the other person's turned their games off right towards the end when they were clearly helpless. I don't get the main difference between Launcher and TRiple?

Edit: This is a set that didn't take a lot of thought, but works. It's not a common team, but is still good.

I used a Trick Room hail team at Regionals consisting of Abomasnow, Infernape, Slowking, Glaceon, Jellicent, and Gallade. Abomasnow and Infernape are pretty common but the others are hardly seen... do I get cool points? :)

But yeah, I guess it is a bit cheap to take such a standard team and strategy and win with it. But if this wins Brendan two byes and his airfare to Nationals, why risk using a "non-standard" team at the very first Regionals of the season, where the metagame has only been defined by online battles and simulators?

We'll be trying out some funky stuff at the Philadelphia Regionals since we already have our airfare and hotel rooms set for Nationals, so look forward to that ;)
    Last edited by Cybertron; 28th November 2011 at 06:05 PM.
    VGC 2012 Battles (and TCG matches soon!)
    2011 East Regional VGC Seniors Champion
    2011 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    We'll be trying out some funky stuff at the Philadelphia Regionals since we already have our airfare and hotel rooms set for Nationals, so look forward to that ;)
    8-0 I wanna see!

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

I used a Trick Room hail team at Regionals consisting of Abomasnow, Infernape, Slowking, Glaceon, Jellicent, and Gallade. Abomasnow and Infernape are pretty common but the others are hardly seen... do I get cool points? :)
    Yes, yes you do. How does that work? Brave Infernape?

But yeah, I guess it is a bit cheap to take such a standard team and strategy and win with it. But if this wins Brendan two byes and his airfare to Nationals, why risk using a "non-standard" team at the very first Regionals of the season, where the metagame has only been defined by online battles and simulators?

Yeah I see your point, plus it's not as if you are the only ones using the team.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

You get infinite cool points for using Glaceon alone :3 (you would have earned infinite+1 cool points for using Flareon, but on a hail team I suppose Glaceon will do )
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Those are major cool points in my book. That makes more sense, yea I would agree on that, with free airfare to nationals. I really want to compete on the VGC, but the closest place is in San jose, I can drive, but my Parents wouldn't let me and they won't take me. It's about 5 hr's from where I am, here in Reno, NV

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

It's cheap, it's common, it's overrated and, most importantly, it's effective. I would guess that other types of weather, bar maybe Sandstorm, were almost completely ignored in this tournament, and that rain was the most common out of all of them, assuming that Politoed is on pretty much every team like on battle simulators, which means that there would be no battle over control of the weather. I haven't paid attention to the tournament, but I can guess that it was basically a tournament to see who had the best combination of Swift Swimmers.

Tyranitar is probably more common than Politoed is, just because Tyranitar can fit in a lot of teams. Sand is very versatile: You don't need to build your entire team around it. Not only does Tyranitar disrupt strategies such as Rain and Hail, it also has a LOT of bulk and power. Most teams in the older divisions didn't use Politoed because like I said before, it becomes dead weight in the game since it is not very strong offensively. Rain was incorporated into teams, but not the whole team would be dedicated to rain. A standard rain team becomes harder and harder to use against good opponents because they'll prepare for it and make sure they have countermeasures to stop it. I don't think one rain team won in the Masters division throughout that weekend.

Blog Entries

Makes me wonder if, switching Attack for Sp. Attack, Abomasnow would see the same usage as Tyranitar if it had the same stats. Though I imagine Modest Specs (or even Scarf) max Sp. Attack Blizzard still kills tons of things in doubles.

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    Makes me wonder if, switching Attack for Sp. Attack, Abomasnow would see the same usage as Tyranitar if it had the same stats. Though I imagine Modest Specs (or even Scarf) max Sp. Attack Blizzard still kills tons of things in doubles.
    I think it would, but the only draw back would be the accuasy.

I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Shinx View Post
    I think it would, but the only draw back would be the accuasy.
    ...Except it wouldn't be a drawback because Blizzard is 100% accurate in hail?

Abomasnow is one of my favorite Pokemon. Hail's always been my favorite weather as well.

However, one of the huge problems is that should your opponent have a Tyranitar (or Politoed/Ninetales) in their team, you can't safely Blizzard because there is always a chance that you miss what you need to hit.

Blizzard totally screwed me over in VGC 2010. I used it without hail twice: Once at the Top 4 at Regionals, and once against the eventual National Champion at Nationals. Both missed the guys I needed to hit, and screwed me out of my Worlds Invitation that year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12