What do you think of Brandon's team?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What do you think of Brandon's team?

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

Exclamation What do you think of Brandon's team?

What do you think of Brandon, one of top players at the Autumn Reginal Chapionship.
    Here it is:
    The Strategy of a Champion! | News | Pokemon.com

I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Thumbs down Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

It wasn't any thing I hadn't seen before. Almost 100% of the battle videos from the world championships I saw had a Thundurs in them. Same thing with Dirzzle Politode.

Default Re: What do you think of Brandon's team?

I think it was a good team, but was cheap because people I battled didn't have rain teams. It's not fair to others that aren't going to use them, they want to give others a chance, like some 6 year old trying to get at least 1 win. Overall it's a good combo team and choices.
    Shiny Shinx likes this.

I'm going to make the same comment here as I did in the news thread, so you can just read this: First analysis of Autumn Regional Champion released: More official analyses to be rel

TheSpaceKing, VGC 2011 and VGC 2012 are two COMPLETELY different formats. You can't compare the two. And Thundurus was too good of a Pokemon last year: I had it in my winning Nationals team, Brendan had it in his Worlds team which finished 3rd, and as you said, every World Champion used it. It's a lot less common this year, and we have a fairly unique spread for it.

k289s, as harsh as this may seem, VGC tournaments aren't about "being fair" to others and giving others a chance. Using a rain team isn't really unfair: If you're going into a VGC tournament, you should be able to adjust against any team. What's really unfair is that most Juniors don't even know what EV's are. That itself gives a huge advantage. I'm also not sure if you know or not, but that 6 year old will probably get a win throughout the entire tournament, since it is swiss.

(PS, his name is Brendan)

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertron View Post
    I'm going to make the same comment here as I did in the news thread, so you can just read this: First analysis of Autumn Regional Champion released: More official analyses to be rel

TheSpaceKing, VGC 2011 and VGC 2012 are two COMPLETELY different formats. You can't compare the two. And Thundurus was too good of a Pokemon last year: I had it in my winning Nationals team, Brendan had it in his Worlds team which finished 3rd, and as you said, every World Champion used it. It's a lot less common this year, and we have a fairly unique spread for it.

k289s, as harsh as this may seem, VGC tournaments aren't about "being fair" to others and giving others a chance. Using a rain team isn't really unfair: If you're going into a VGC tournament, you should be able to adjust against any team. What's really unfair is that most Juniors don't even know what EV's are. That itself gives a huge advantage. I'm also not sure if you know or not, but that 6 year old will probably get a win throughout the entire tournament, since it is swiss.

(PS, his name is Brendan)
    Yes a little they are, people don't want to face an unfair battle, so they don't use those teams, so they can respect others. Why would a 6 year old get get a win, if they are swiss, that doesn't really make sense to me? A rain team totally sucks to go up against. Are you crazy?

No, I certainly am not crazy.

This is a competition we are talking about. A competition with actual prizes. Competitors will do anything they can to get an upper advantage over their opponents. I don't know ANY competitive and successful VGC player who has avoided using a team to "respect their opponent." Take a look at VGC 2010. The top 16 Masters at Nationals all had 2 Ubers on their teams. Everyone who competed at Worlds had 2+ Ubers on their teams. People often whine how Ubers were unfair back then, but at the end, the people who won are the ones who used the Ubers.

When I mean the 6 year old will probably get a win throughout the tournament, I mean that he will either beat someone through the rounds or get a bye. Bye's are given out every round should there be an odd number of participants and if the 6 year old has the lowest record, he gets the bye.

Rain teams don't suck to go up against if you have a good team. It's quite easy to counter, and when people make VGC 2012 teams, one of the first things they check is if they have a proper rain counter because they know Rain is a prominent strategy this year. (Checks include Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Toxicroak)

Chill. I don't mean to cause trouble or arguments. Just justification.
    Lord Clowncrete likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

The Spaceking, VGC 2011 and VGC 2012 are two COMPLETELY different formats. You can't compare the two. And Thundurus was too good of a Pokemon last year: I had it in my winning Nationals team, Brendan had it in his Worlds team which finished 3rd, and as you said, every World Champion used it. It's a lot less common this year, and we have a fairly unique spread for it.
    Yes, I see your point. As it is a very good one. But I wasn't comparing VGC 2011/2012. I was saying that I have seen Thundurus waaaaay to much to be impressed by it. I would be impressed if he had used a more unique but effective team. No one is impressed by an overused strategy.

No, I certainly am not crazy.

This is a competition we are talking about. A competition with actual prizes. Competitors will do anything they can to get an upper advantage over their opponents. I don't know ANY competitive and successful VGC player who has avoided using a team to "respect their opponent." Take a look at VGC 2010. The top 16 Masters at Nationals all had 2 Ubers on their teams. Everyone who competed at Worlds had 2+ Ubers on their teams. People often whine how Ubers were unfair back then, but at the end, the people who won are the ones who used the Ubers.

When I mean the 6 year old will probably get a win throughout the tournament, I mean that he will either beat someone through the rounds or get a bye. Bye's are given out every round should there be an odd number of participants and if the 6 year old has the lowest record, he gets the bye.

Rain teams don't suck to go up against if you have a good team. It's quite easy to counter, and when people make VGC 2012 teams, one of the first things they check is if they have a proper rain counter because they know Rain is a prominent strategy this year. (Checks include Tyranitar, Abomasnow, Gastrodon, Amoonguss, Toxicroak)

Chill. I don't mean to cause trouble or arguments. Just justification.
    Now you do know someone.It's over wi-fi, it's not a VGC. It's different, you couldn't use a dialga, palkia, darkrai, etc.. over the Autumn friendly. What did the Swiss part mean though? Tyranitar?

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceking View Post
    Yes, I see your point. As it is a very good one. But I wasn't comparing VGC 2011/2012. I was saying that I have seen Thundurus waaaaay to much to be impressed by it. I would be impressed if he had used a more unique but effective team. No one is impressed by an overused strategy.
    *Sorry about the double post, it got messed up.*
    Exactly! Some pokemon after awhile get really old on you. Variety is always good to have. I agree about a unique team, I don't want to see a common team. It doesn't make you any better if you use an overused strategy. There are many other strategies to use than the obvious one. I never even was talking about the world championships or VGC?
    Cybertron- Early you said about adjusting to a team, what happens if you have a sun or sand team? You can't adjust unless, again you have variety.
    Last edited by g3rgni; 27th November 2011 at 05:10 PM.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Someone should PROBABLY move this to the Battle Center, don'cha think? Paging @bluesun @Joshawott @Angad @hurristat or @SharKing
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Paging @Feliciano . All taken care of.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Muchas gracias, mi amigo tiburón.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

To respond to k289s using using teams to "respect their opponent." Wi-Fi is very different from VGC tournament. Like I said, competitors do whatever they can to get the upper advantage to win in VGC tournaments considering there is a lot on the line. General Wi-Fi battles are a lot more relaxed, and I commend you for using unique teams and teams that don't have an unfair advantage. However, please note that my posts are only about VGC tournaments/metagame/players, and although you may not be talking about it, I certainly am.

Like I said in the other thread, Brendan could have easily won with another team (Sand, Trick Room, Goodstuffs). We're using different teams at the next tournament so he can get a general consensus on what he wants to use for Nationals/Worlds.

There were a lot of unique teams that won that weekend. Pokemon chose Brendan's because he used a Rain Team, which is simple enough for other Juniors to understand and is still a very strong strategy.

I do agree that Rain is a boring strategy and that it is too common, but we didn't want to going into our first Regionals with a team that is risky. (Although I ended up using a Trick Room hail team that used Glaceon and Gallade!)

Anyway, I'm done with this. You wanna see a unique team or Pokemon win Philly? Just give us a recommendation ;)
    Last edited by Cybertron; 26th November 2011 at 08:23 AM.
    VGC 2012 Battles (and TCG matches soon!)
    2011 East Regional VGC Seniors Champion
    2011 US Nationals VGC Seniors Champion

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Weather was always going to be dominant this season (well, mainly rain and sandstorm). The staples (Politoed, Kingdra and Ludicolo) are there which is no surprise - seriously, Kingdra is an absolute beast under rain (although personally, I run a physical set).

I was a bit confused by the inclusion of Jellicent, as I thought there would be better options outside of VGC11 (especially with the Hidden Abilities we have been given access to). I'm also interested in the decision to run it with a Choice Scarf; in fact, my older brother got knocked out in the UK Qualifier by the runner-up by a scarfed Jellicent.

Although I run Rain myself, I do wish there was more originality in the game. My older brother got a lot of attention from some UK gaming magazines because he used Cinccino in VGC11 - and he was the only player I saw in the UK qualifier I saw using one. What I'm doing at the moment is taking the core rain team (Because let's be honest, it's used a lot because it works) and trying to add my own unique flavour.

Blog Entries

@k289s

I merged your posts. In the future, edit your first post instead of making another one.

I'd also like to mention that I do not know what's so "unfair" about using proven strategies to win a competitive game. If everyone has an equal opportunity to employ these same strategies, the playing field is completely level.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Heathcliff Huxtable View Post
    @k289s

I merged your posts. In the future, edit your first post instead of making another one.

I'd also like to mention that I do not know what's so "unfair" about using proven strategies to win a competitive game. If everyone has an equal opportunity to employ these same strategies, the playing field is completely level.
    No, it's not unfair, but it just seems cheap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast