Volcorana -Checking a Moth with so few Counters

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Synthesis

Thread: Volcorana -Checking a Moth with so few Counters

Default Volcorana -Checking a Moth with so few Counters

Volcarana is an incredibly difficult Pokemon to counter and most teams usually pit all of their hopes of beating it on just one thing. Even the oh so powerful Tornadus-T must gaze in awe at how it can completely terrorize teams regardless of the weather on the field. The metagame has begun to mature slightly with many variants of Volcorana sets becoming staples. It can run a bulkyset and quiver dance, carry the unsuspected hidden power ground or even blast you to bits with a choiced set. I would say that the bulky quiver dance set is the hardest to easily check. It has got to a point where the first Pokemon I look to be stopping dead is Volcarona.

Obvious checks include Air Balloon Heatran and Choice Band Azumarill as well as less likely suspects such as Choice Scarf Gyarados. How do you check such a unique threat?

I choose.... WarGreyMon Professor Jacel's Avatar

Default Re: Volcorana -Checking a Moth with so few Counters

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Volcarana is an incredibly difficult Pokemon to counter and most teams usually pit all of their hopes of beating it on just one thing. Even the oh so powerful Tornadus-T must gaze in awe at how it can completely terrorize teams regardless of the weather on the field. The metagame has begun to mature slightly with many variants of Volcorana sets becoming staples. It can run a bulkyset and quiver dance, carry the unsuspected hidden power ground or even blast you to bits with a choiced set. I would say that the bulky quiver dance set is the hardest to easily check. It has got to a point where the first Pokemon I look to be stopping dead is Volcarona.

Obvious checks include Air Balloon Heatran and Choice Band Azumarill as well as less likely suspects such as Choice Scarf Gyarados. How do you check such a unique threat?
    I have battled a good number of these bugs on PO. I mostly fight ones who Go Quiver Dance which is somewhat easy to counter with my Roar Vaporeon as I generally run my Rain Team on there. Stealth Rocks always helps if you get them out to against it and after you roar it out it coming back in is a mistake of course. Though with help from the move tutor I have Bumped into Giga Drain on them now which proves tricky sometimes as It can prove deadly after a quiver Dance. I do not necessarily have a check for the Pokemon I simply have a check to counter it out or get rid of the strategy it is using.

If somebody is bringing in Volcarona that early in the game then they are using it wrong. Roar Vaporeon gets mauled by it if Volcarona is the last pokemon left, especially the bulky rain dance version.

Quiver Dance Volcarona's do not usually come out early early game. I see them as one of the last few. If it is one that is not the last Roar and its out of there and loses its set up. The whole New Giga Drain aspect of things though makes it more difficult now though so I tend to have Terrakion or someone make use of Stone Edge and finish it off.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is mention of Choiced Volcy in the OP. I have encountered a scarfed one in the sun. It took me by surprise.

Imo, some inherent flaws of Volcarona keep it in check. If you are going for the bulky set utilizing morning sun, you become vulnerable when the weather war is lost. Toxic spikes or even the move toxic screws you up. If you haven't taken down Heatran, it is gg. Its power is pretty low till you get atleast 2 boosts. And it is hard to get those unless your opponent's team is badly mauled.

I won't comment on the rain ones, since I rarely encounter them or use them. But the hardest sets to actually beat is the lo + 3 attacks set. It is hard to use but can easily 6-0 teams. A Fire blast in the sun can maul even Gyarados after sr damage, which speaks a lot about its power. But its lack of bulk and recovery makes him more vulnerable to sr and sometimes, I find him to be "single use". It is even harder to setup and is very vulnerable to scarfed mons.

Basically, I use sun teams and I rarely allow my opponent to setup. If he does get a +1, it is upto my hp rock Lilligant to weaken him. Setting up sr, keeping up the pressure and utilizing the flaws I pointed out, is my method of dealing with it. I have been swept by it but not too often. (and I sweep more often using it). Although, it is a Pokemon which can turn a battle in one turn so, I become vary the moment I see it in team-preview.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

bulky Heatran with roar takes care of any kind of volcorana set that doesn't have hidden power ground. Overall i like to deal with it indirectly like with steal rocks. Or if im lucky and predict correctly i can take care of it before it sets up.

Stealth Rocks is not a Guarantee though.

Blog Entries

You can't really argue that it's bulk and lack of recovery are huge problems. I've found the bulky sets with Morning Sun surprisingly effective. Although, Volca always gets walled by certain things, no matter what the set.

Not at all, it has loads of options to take down its counters.

Blog Entries

Not at all, it has loads of options to take down its counters.
    It can't have the coverage it needs if it's running QD and Morning Sun already. That leaves two slots for STAB moves which allows it to get covered easily.

Blog Entries

Gyarados is always my friend in a situation involving Volcarona.

Much love to Zurr