VGC Doubles

Thread: VGC Doubles

Blog Entries

Default VGC Doubles

So, this is intended to be my VGC's Sand team. Those who have helped me with my other team may notice that this is basically my singles sand team with Excadrill. This is true, and because hazard setup isn't as important in doubles, and that was Forretress' only purpose. Please read the whole post before suggesting changes in pokes or strategy. BTW, I am open to another Theme, such as hail, rain, sun, goodstuff, whatevs, this is just the team I've put together. Attaining pokes is no problem (legendaries may be difficult, though), so don't be afraid to suggest anything.

Sand setup and Physical Tank
    Tyranitar@ Muscle Band
    Sand Stream
    Adamant
    86/252/0/0/86/86
    -Crunch
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide
    -Ice Punch

T-tar's most important role in this team is sand setup, since that allows Exkie to pretty much rain on the opponent's parade. After that, he's free to do as he wishes, normally wreaking havok slamming around opponents with any of it's moves.

Sand Rush Softener
    Excadrill@ Scope Lens
    Sand Rush
    Adamant
    4/252/0/0/0/252
    -Hone Claws
    -Shadow Claw
    -Drill Run
    -Rock Slide

Excadrill is normally paired up with Tytar at the match start, and thus gets an immediate benefit from his favorite weather. This Excadrill set isn't made for sweeping so much as softening up the opponent's team, allowing Heatran or Metagross to come in swinging after Exkie goes down. As such, i probably want to switch Hone Claws for another coverage move. Can Exkie learn Aerial Ace? That would make my day if it could

(Breeding for Timid)Whimsicott@ Leftovers
    Timid Nature
    Prankster
    252/0/0/0/4/252
    -Tailwind
    -Encore
    -Trick Room
    -Leech Seed

Basically, this set is meant to further support Excadrill, by softening up focus sash users with a Priority Leech Seed, and negating setup sweepers with Priority Encore while Excie hammers away. Tailwind allows me to give excie a potential x4 speed boost, and Trick Room allows me to reverse the tables on a potential Trick Room Threat. Unfortunately, this set stalls out if Whimsicott is taunted, forcing me to "struggle" for dear life

Special Sweeper/Anti-Sun
    Heatran@ Air Balloon
    Flash Fire
    Modest
    0/0/0/252/4/252
    -Flamethrower
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Earth Power
    -Hidden Power (Grass)

Heatran holds significance as the anti-fire/anti-sun attacker of this team. He normally comes in to replace Exkie in the event of a heavy fire type I don't anticipate OHKOing with Drill Run.

"Choice Specs"/Anti-rain
    Gastrodon@ Wise Glasses
    Storm Drain
    Modest
    240/0/0/252/16/0
    -Surf
    -Ice Beam
    -Earth Power
    -Recover

Gastrodon is a superb tank, i've discovered, and is a nice sponge for water moves, since they boost it's spatk. With Recover, I can stall out a seeded opponent while they hammer away at me, thanks to it's astronomic health stat.

Revenge Killer+anti-Fighting
    Metagross@ Occa Berry
    Clear Body
    Adamant
    252/252/0/0/0/4
    -Meteor Mash
    -Bullet Punch
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Hammer Arm

Metagross packs power and defenses on the level of Tyranitar, and carries Zen Headbutt, which proves invaluable in ridding me of fighting types. Bullet Punch enables me to zip past pesky speedy sweepers and hammer them, even with it's low base power, and Meteor Mash provides a more powerful alternative. Zen Headbutt and Hammer Arm allow me to smash through pokemon that wall Gastrodon, and Heatran, such as bulky pure waters and steel types. Unfortunately, Metagross does still suffer from a weakness to fire-types, which will carve through this giant like a hot knife through butter (hah! punny!). Luckily, this is remedied, if temporarily, by it's occa berry, which allows it to survive a fire hit with a significant portion of health left.

Basically the goal of the team is to set up sand with Tytar, One-off a couple of pokes with Excadrill, then switch in another heavy-hitting poke to take it's place.

Okay, advice would be appreciated, especially suggestions to replace Hone Claws on Excadrill
    Last edited by Data-Roxas; 25th January 2012 at 05:31 PM.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: VGC Doubles

Can't whimsicott replace mandibuzz(for tailwind)? And you can also try that whimsicott + terrakion combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

I like the Whimsicott Idea, but what sort of set would you recommend?

Blog Entries

@Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Okay, I think I'll try the Tailwind set, with Leech Seed in place of Trick Room, so basically;

Whimsicott@ Leftovers (Focus Sash is pointless in sandstorm, am i right?)
    Timid Nature
    Prankster
    252/0/0/0/4/252
    -Tailwind
    -Encore
    -Helping Hand (or should I go with Protect, for free lefties and Leech Seed recovery? Or maybe Trick Room, to turn the tables on TR teams? decisions, decisions.)
    -Leech Seed

This is basically the Tailwind set with Leech Seed and Lefties

Blog Entries

Trick Room is useful because it gives you something to counteract the effects of Trick Room.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Trick Room is useful because it gives you something to counteract the effects of Trick Room.
    okay, thanks. I agree, with Sand and Tailwind, Exkie gets an absurd 4x speed boost, and trick room turns that into a disadvantage. But, in sand, is leech seed redundant with Lefties? I know that outside of sand, it gives him a pretty hefty HP gain every turn, and in sand, it's the only way to get substantial recovery, or even at all. Does the rest of the set look good?

Blog Entries

Well, I'm not the most experienced in doubles, but i have seen people use protect less often after being seeded. They either switch out or start attacking in desperation.

Blog Entries

Leech Seed is very useful.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Alright, thanks. I'm breeding Whimsicott for a Timid Nature right now, and i'm giving it the set i have in the OP. Should I teach Excadrill Aerial Ace to help cover Grass and fighting types? It's already got psychic covered with Shadow Claw, so I think that Aerial Ace would be more helpful than X-Scissor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rockman.EXE View Post
    Alright, thanks. I'm breeding Whimsicott for a Timid Nature right now, and i'm giving it the set i have in the OP. Should I teach Excadrill Aerial Ace to help cover Grass and fighting types? It's already got psychic covered with Shadow Claw, so I think that Aerial Ace would be more helpful than X-Scissor.
    Don't use Shadow claw. a stab earthquake will do 100 * 1.5 = 150 damage while shadow claw, even if super effective will do 70 * 2 = 140 damage. Same with aerial ace. X-scissor covers both psychic and grass, so no problem there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommandurrClowncrete View Post
    Don't use Shadow claw. a stab earthquake will do 100 * 1.5 = 150 damage while shadow claw, even if super effective will do 70 * 2 = 140 damage. Same with aerial ace. X-scissor covers both psychic and grass, so no problem there.
    I understand your numbers, but I still think i'll go with Shadow Claw. It's proved incredibly helpful in ridding me of ghost types, more than psychic types. As for X-Scissor, i think you've convinced me not to go with Aerial Ace. The one type that X-Scissor won't cover well, that i'm worried about covering, is fighting. Even so, fighting types die pretty cleanly to Drill Run, so it's probably better that I pick X-Scissor to Kibosh grass and psychic

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've seen myself how effective your Gastrodon and Metagross.

Yeah, I'd go with X-Scissor with Excadrill, as said before.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!