VGC 2012 RMT

Thread: VGC 2012 RMT

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default VGC 2012 RMT

C/pasted from Smogon because I want to see your guys' opinions on the team:
    --

Hello, this is The Knights of Wario Land, here bringing yet another VGC RMT.

You might or might not remember that I posted a previous RMT before Regionals, but sadly, the team ended not working out at all, due to some severe flaws with it.

Despite this, I decided to rethink the team yet again, and hopefully, this time will be better, now with me actually using RNGed Pokes instead of hand-raising them myself.

THE TEAM:

Thundurus @ Electric Gem
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Taunt
    -Substitute

Thundurus is one of the main cores behind the team: nearly all the rest of the Pokemon on the team were build around him entirely. Thundurus is an awesome Pokemon, with Electric Gem-powered Thunderbolt taking out nearly everything that doesn't resist it, Hidden Power Ice when dealing with Zapdos, Garchomp, or another Thundurus, Taunt to stop cold setups such as Trick Room or Tailwind, and priority Substitute is chosen over Protect because, if played right, it can set Thundurus up for a guaranteed sweep.

Metagross @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    -Iron Head
    -Zen Headbutt
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide

Metagross is the main powerhouse on my team. With fantastic typing and a vast movepool, Metagross has an answer to almost everything. Choice Scarf gets rid of its generic speed, Meteor Mash can miss but it is the best STAB Metagross can get (I received this one via 5th Gen, so it's incompatible with Iron Head), Zen Headbutt hit Hitmontop HARD, Earthquake is a fantastic spread move, and the same goes for Rock Slide, hitting Zapdos right where it hurts.

Amoonguss @ Mental Hearb
    Ability: Effect Spore
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.D
    Nature: Calm
    -Spore
    -Giga Drain
    -Rage Powder
    -Protect

With my experience at regionals, I realized the two walls I brought along did the most work, so I thought to myself, why not pack the best support wall in the game? The set on Amoonguss is fairly standard, with Spore and Rage Powder causing massive, well, rage with the opponent, and Giga Drain deals with Gastrodon quite well. Mental Herb is used, as it will prevent Amoonguss from becoming dead water when taunted.

Latios @ Dragon Gem
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.A/252 Spe
    Nature: Timid
    -Draco Meteor
    -Psyshock
    -Hidden Power (Ground)
    -Protect

Realizing I need something to get good coverage over Hitmontop and Garchomp, only one mighty dragon soared over the rest: Latios. It's incredibly quick, incredibly powerful, and deals with a ton of threats well. I considered Espeon, but Latios actually forms perfect synergy with other members of my team, able to resist Metagross' Earthquake.

Terrakion @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant
    -Rock Slide
    -Close Combat
    -Earthquake
    -Protect

Terrakion, though it shares some other weaknesses with my team, has been such as hugely beneficial Pokemon for a team I just had to put him on. This is a pretty standard set, with a good enough movepool to hit a variety of threats very hard. Terrakion is sashed mostly because of its low survivability and lots of weaknesses, and I've found that Sashed Terrakion is one of the most effective Pokemon out there.

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Sp.A/252 Spe
    Nature: Modest
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunderbolt
    -Hidden Power (Fire)
    -Protect

The last slot is always hard for a team builder, because it must have good coverage over all the team's weaknesses. Realizing I had no good water coverage, and seeing my team could go for a little more bulk, I decided to go with the bulky water attacker itself: Rotom-W. Rotom-W has excellent coverage over my foe's weaknesses, not even fearing the Grass-types that give it trouble including Abomasnow. It also has great synergy, resisting Metagross and Terrakion's Earthquake well.

--
    THREATS:
    RAIN: Thudurus, Amoonguss, and Rotom are all fantastic checks to most all rain teams, making up for each other's weaknesses, Ludicolo is the only real threat I can't hit super effectively

HAIL: Again, Rotom will take nothing from Choice Scarf Blizzard, and Terrakion will knock Abomasnow out or put it to its sash, then E-Speed the next turn. Same goes for Metagross, he will have an easy time taking them out.

TRICK ROOM: Thundurus carries Taunt mostly for this reason, keeping my team at the sped advantage, and screwing over Cresselia and Dusclops majorly. Amoonguss and Metagross are the best things to bring in if it can be set up.Chandelure gives problems to other members of my team, but the ones that can counter it do well.

GOODSTUFF: In general, this is what my team is the most-prepared for, learning from my mistakes at regionals. Zapdos and Hitmontop are the two most-seen threats, and I've made sure I've got everything in order to counter them effectively.

SAND: Again, something my team is well-prepared for. Many of my Pokemon hold moves that cause massive trouble to these Pokemon, Tyranitar really not doing much at all to my team.
    --

This team has been very, very successful for me, I have tons of coverage over a lot of common Pokes. However, it does feel like I'm missing some things. I really do think I could give Metagross Ice Punch or Latios Ice Beam, but I feel like its coverage could be a bit repetitive.

Anyways, thoughs?
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

Default Re: VGC 2012 RMT

I like the team,
    Comments:

I'm not seeing too many weaknesses.
    I see that you have a choice scarf but at least 1 priority move is important
    you might want to look out for walrein because of his bulk and his water and ice moves which can cut through 2/3 of your team
    Lots and lots of protect, good.
    only hidden power and draco meteor for dragon type sweepers, hmmm
    I like you comment on walls doing a lot of work. so true
    If I face you in nationals, I will probably strangle you the second your amoongus comes out (Not serious, just find amoongus HP annoying. The bronzor of B/W)
    I really want to question the number of shinies on your team, or are you just putting the pictures of shinies (For 5 years of playing pokemon I have only ever encountered 3: a geodude, a shinx and a spoink)

...And I think that's it.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries

Dude, Walrein can't honestly do jack squat to my team.

In fact, he can't do jack squat to my team.

--
    And to answer the question about the shinies, I get all of my Pokemon RNG'd, so having them shiny is nothing special.

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Blog Entries

@The Knights of Wario Land ;

It feels good to see a decent VGC team after seeing many poor ones. I do question Scarf on Metagross, as locking yourself seems illogical at times, but I can see why you did that.

What do you do with a Rage Powder + TR initial set-up?
    Last edited by Angad; 16th June 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Much love to Zurr

I choose.... WarGreyMon Professor Jacel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowBlaziken View Post
    I like the team,
    Comments:

you might want to look out for walrein because of his bulk and his water and ice moves which can cut through 2/3 of your team
    If I face you in nationals, I will probably strangle you the second your amoongus comes out (Not serious, just find amoongus HP annoying. The bronzor of B/W)
    I really want to question the number of shinies on your team, or are you just putting the pictures of shinies (For 5 years of playing pokemon I have only ever encountered 3: a geodude, a shinx and a spoink)

Good luck.
    You may not see weaknessess but I Infact do. Yes a Walrein could do jack to your team as well it would not be hard The Knights of Wario Land. Any Fighting Type with Ice Punch could mess your team up actually. A

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Jacel View Post
    I like the team,
    Comments:

Good luck.
    You may not see weaknessess but I Infact do. Yes a Walrein could do jack to your team as well it would not be hard The Knights of Wario Land. Any Fighting Type with Ice Punch could mess your team up actually. A
    I've played for a few years now, and I want to state that if one loses to Walrein, they need wayyy more practice.

Much love to Zurr

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    I like the team,
    Comments:

Good luck.
    I've played for a few years now, and I want to state that if one loses to Walrein, they need wayyy more practice.
    I have to but I really do not see Walriens.. Unless I missed a very Significant Pokemon battle that included one. I really do not think they would need practice but I am wondering what they used and caused them to lost. Most people who lose do something really stupid during the match that causes them to lose. I battled a Player who constantly used Substitute until he could not because he did not have enough HP and then died by my attack. Then he disconnected.

Blog Entries

I have to but I really do not see Walriens.. Unless I missed a very Significant Pokemon battle that included one. I really do not think they would need practice but I am wondering what they used and caused them to lost. Most people who lose do something really stupid during the match that causes them to lose. I battled a Player who constantly used Substitute until he could not because he did not have enough HP and then died by my attack. Then he disconnected.
    It's just not the most constructive to point out issues that most battlers wouldn't encounter.

Much love to Zurr

It's just not the most constructive to point out issues that most battlers wouldn't encounter.
    Well you may not encounter a Walrein but Fighting Types with Ice Punch I have encountered alot so be on the look out for those.

Blog Entries

Well you may not encounter a Walrein but Fighting Types with Ice Punch I have encountered alot so be on the look out for those.
    I can't think of many other than Lucario or Machamp, and even then that number is severely reduced in doubles.

Much love to Zurr

I can't think of many other than Lucario or Machamp, and even then that number is severely reduced in doubles.
    Hairiyama if you breed it from Gen Four or you can go DW and Thats all I really see.

Blog Entries

Hairiyama if you breed it from Gen Four or you can go DW and Thats all I really see.
    Not an all too common poke, my friend.

Much love to Zurr

Its dangerous to go alone King Eriandor's Avatar

I admit it, walrein wasn't the best example.

The point i was trying to make is that:
    Thunderus:weak to ice
    Amoongus:weak to ice (but his HP and Sp.def can partially make up for it.)
    Latios:weak to ice
    Terrakion:weak to water (ice types can commonly learn these moves and water types can commonly lean ice moves)

See the common weaknesses yet?

now we have metagross and wash rotom. their considerable bulk may save you here but grass, ground and fire type moves aren't uncommon.
    I also can't say anything without pointing out how amoongus's spore/rage powder can cover a couple of these problems.

Blog Entries

I admit it, walrein wasn't the best example.

The point i was trying to make is that:
    Thunderus:weak to ice
    Amoongus:weak to ice (but his HP and Sp.def can partially make up for it.)
    Latios:weak to ice
    Terrakion:weak to water (ice types can commonly learn these moves and water types can commonly lean ice moves)

See the common weaknesses yet?

now we have metagross and wash rotom. their considerable bulk may save you here but grass, ground and fire type moves aren't uncommon.
    I also can't say anything without pointing out how amoongus's spore/rage powder can cover a couple of these problems.
    That's why I have Metagross.

Just because three of my mons are weak to Ice, there is nothing besides Scarfed Abomasnow's Blizzard that gives me trouble, and Metagross and Rotom will sponge it anyways.

Grass also really isn't a common attacking type, and even so, nothing that isn't Gemed will OHKO Metagross or Rotom.

Sorry for being kinda late for responding to this augh