The Versatile Sand Team!

Thread: The Versatile Sand Team!

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default The Versatile Sand Team!

Ok, I've assembled myself a Wi-fi Triple Battle Sandstorm team (that also works well in Singles and Doubles, but excels at Triples), and I think I need it to be rated by professionals:

Choice Scarf Sand Set-up

Tyranitar @Choice Scarf
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Attk, 252 Def., 4 Speed
    Moves: Dragon Claw, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Crunch

Tyranitar sets up the Sand instantly, and is almost always the lead. His Choice Scarf lets him easily outspeed most of his usual counters, bar Mienshao, and acts as a good scout.

Physical Sweeper

Durant @Focus Sash
    Nature: Naive
    Ability: Hustle
    EVs: 252 Attk, 4 Def, 252 Speed
    Move: Hone Claws, X-Scissor, Rock Slide, Iron Head

Durant goes right in-center, able to hit anything with her Rock Slide. Her STAB Iron Head can easily OHKO a Terrakion, and the same goes with X-Scissor on Alakazam and other strong Psychics.

Can't Touch this Sand Veil Sweeper

Gliscor @Yache Berry
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Attk, 128 Def, 128 Speed
    Moves: Swords Dance, U-Turn, Ice Fang, Earthquake

Gliscor can come into three roles: if she's given a free turn he can easily set up a Swords Dance hassle-free, take an easy switch with her fast U-Turn, or go and hit common Sand treats Gliscor, Excadrill, and Landorus with ease.

Mixed Wall/Special Attacker

Heatran @Shuca Berry
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 128 Def, 252 Sp. Attk, 128 Sp. Def
    Moves: Protect, Stealth Rock, Fire Blast, Earth Power

Heatran acts as both Durant's protector and a wall towards the Ferrothorns and Forretresses out there. Depending on the situation, he can come as a secondary lead to set up Rocks, or come in later to tank hits.

The Special Attacking Powerhouse

Reuniclus @Life Orb
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp. Attk, 4 Sp.Def
    Moves: Psychic, Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Trick Room

With his ability, Reuniclus will not be affected by the Sandstorm, and acts as a good protection or Revenge-killer against Conkeldurr, Mienshao, or other strong Fighters who will give Tyranitar problems.

Mixed Bag Support

Scrafty @Leftovers
    Nature: Impish
    Ability: Shed Skin
    EVs: 252 Attk, 252 Def., 4 Sp. Def
    Moves: Fake-Out, Bulk Up, Crunch, Drain Punch

Scrafty's Lefties neglegate Sandstorm damage, and he acts as another good leader or supported with Fake-Out to allow the other Pokes to sweep without worrying about being knocked out by the opposing threat in that once turn. Plus, he also cancels out other Tyranitar users with his highly-powerful Drain Punch.

--
    This team I have been using has been pretty victorious in Wi-fi battles, and is a good check and counter to most Sun teams. But I'm still debating on whether Scrafty should keep that place: I have a very-bulky Spiritomb and Carracosta who also are vying for that last spot. If you have any suggestions for move swaps/who should really be on the 6th slot of my party, it would be very appreciated.
    Last edited by The Knights of Wario Land; 18th September 2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Versatile Sand Team!

Rotom-W, Suicune and Jellicent wreck havoc here. As do Rain teams in general.

Hey there, Super Dragoon. It looks like you have a few decent ideas, but your team as a whole could use some improvement. Here are my suggested changes:

- Pursuit > Dragon Claw on Tyranitar
    - Specially Defensive Scizor > Durant
    - Standard Offensive SD Gliscor > Custom Gliscor
    - Standard Air Ballon Heatran > Custom Heatran
    - 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA EV spread for Reuniclus
    - Standard Bulk Up Conkeldurr > Bulk Up Scrafty

I suggested replacing Durant and Scrafty with Scizor and Conkeldurr, respectively, to give your team a more efficient way to deal with major OU threats. Specially Defensive Scizor handles Reuniclus, some variants of Latios and Latias, and CM Virizion. Bulk Up Conkeldurr checks Excadrill and Terrakion.

Here are some of the sets I mentioned for your reference:

Scizor (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Roost
    - Bullet Punch
    - Bug Bite

Gliscor (M) @ Flight Gem
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Acrobatics
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bulk Up
    - Drain Punch
    - Mach Punch
    - Payback

Good luck.
    Last edited by g3rgni; 19th September 2011 at 01:47 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

If you insist on running Durant, however (base 109 Speed and Hustle + Hone Claws is something over Scizor), try Stone Edge over Rock Slide. It hits just fine after Hone Claws, and it hits so much harder.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

@Heathcliff Huxable- Thank you for those awesome suggestions, the Scizor and Conkeldurr sets are particularly looking attactive. I've been trying to use Durant mostly to try and give it a light in the spotlight and to use a sweeper besides Scizor for once. That Conkeldurr set also looks prime for me, but as I've seen, a Flame Orb set works better than a Leftovers set for Guts, but in my condition, I want to keep it away from Sandstorm, so Lefties actually sound good. Again, thank you.

@SkarKing The reason why I'm using Durant is stated above, and I switch between Rock Slide and Stone Edge when going from Singles to Doubles, because Rock Slide has amazing advantages in Doubles and Triples.

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Keep in mind that my suggestions were almost exclusively based on the singles metagame. If you're playing doubles or triples, I imagine that you'll need to change a few things to make your team as effective as possible.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Rotom-W, Suicune and Jellicent wreck havoc here. As do Rain teams in general.
    Shortly but (somewhat) sweetly said.

I think that Breloom is a great pokemon for Sand/Hail/Rain teams with its Poison Heal, and it's ultimately a less defensive Scrafty (it's status immune much as can be said of Scrafty--it does have better [actual] health recovery in Sandstorm though). It's ultimately a schmecent Water counter. It also has Mach Punch (like Conkeldurr) and Swords Dance. (Spore is an obvious move, and Seed Bomb can be the counter-Water attack.)

I'll get into critiquing your pokemon in a bit.
    Last edited by League; 23rd September 2011 at 04:10 PM.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    I think that Breloom is a great pokemon for Sand/Hail/Rain teams with its Poison Heal, and it's ultimately a less defensive Scrafty (it's status immune much as can be said of Scrafty--it does have better [actual] health recovery in Sandstorm though). It's ultimately a schmecent Water counter. It also has Mach Punch (like Conkeldurr) and Swords Dance. (Spore is an obvious move, and Seed Bomb can be the counter-Water attack.)

I'll get into critiquing your pokemon in a bit.
    Actually, that sound pretty ingenious. I now have a good way to counter Water-types, plus a priority move user and an instant-sleeper. Sounds awesome to me, I think I'm gonna search for a Shroomish tonight and start breeding for a perfect-natured one. What would be a good nature for Breloom?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dragoon View Post
    Actually, that sound pretty ingenious. I now have a good way to counter Water-types, plus a priority move user and an instant-sleeper. Sounds awesome to me, I think I'm gonna search for a Shroomish tonight and start breeding for a perfect-natured one. What would be a good nature for Breloom?
    A Jolly nature is probably best for Breloom in the current metagame.

Adamant or Jolly, comes down to preference.

credit to blazaking for the banner.

I do find myself leaning toward Excadrill for the excellent Speed and Attack during sandstorm and reasonable coverage. It's probably banned from competition (last I heard), but all's fair in Random Wifi. Gotta watch that priority fighting weakness (I'm looking at you Lucario and Conkeldurr).

For your last spot, I would give Lucario a try. I'm not sure about a specific moveset, but Dragon Pulse and Vacuum Wave should both prove useful for a Special Lucario.

I beat Ballos. :D Rabidtangerine's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ice Fang is kind of icky, I think you should go with gem & Acrobatics.
    Scrafty wouldn't do too well in Sandstorm. If you want a dark type for sandstorm go with Mandibuzz or maybe Cacturne (:P), since your team is so weak to water. An offensive Ferrothorn could do pretty well actually, since most of your team is sporting Rock Slide and EQ, and you have Trick Room on your gummy bear. But overall, fighting types can really wreck your team, so get Acrobatics, and switch Scrafty for a more sandstorm friendly mon. I agree that Breloom could work well too.
    Dream points: (I can finally say it!) OVER 9000!!
    If at first you don't succeed, kill it with fire.
    "Oh ze poor hippopotamus.... but not ze armadillo!" -Grapefruit