Vaporeon stats and move pool

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SharKing

Thread: Vaporeon stats and move pool

Visit vapes's Youtube Channel

Default Vaporeon stats and move pool

Hello.
    So, as my profile pic and name suggests, Vaporeon is my favorite Pokemon. I've been using one ever since Generation 1 and I've loved it ever since. Now as competitive battling has started, I have been kind of obsessed with EV's and IV's. So now I have White 2, and I got a Vaporeon. I decided to EV train it (I've done this in the past in Heartgold with other Pokes), and try different combinations. People say it's a good wall, but I don't really see how. I tried a Calm Vaporeon giving it 252 HP EV's, 162 SP Def EV's, 52 SP Atk EV's, 24 Def EV's, and 20 Speed EV's. Now my IV's aren't perfect but they're close. My problem is that while this Vaporeon is a special wall, it's physical defense is lacking, and has trouble with outrages or wild charges, etc. I have acid armor on it, but since it gets outsped by so many Pokes, it doesn't always work. Now I have heard that a Bold Vaporeon is good, but then that would leave the SP Def to be lower, making it go down quicker to Special attacks. I'm unsure of how exactly the EV spread and nature of a good Vaporeon should be. I went on smogon, but I don't really like the ones they offered.

If any of you can offer a good suggestion for a good Vaporeon, that'd be great. With Water Absorb!

Follow scarlettpeony on Tumblr

Default Re: Vaporeon stats and move pool

If you want to make Vaporeon a wall then you need to dedicate more EVs to its Defence stat and less to things like Speed. A wall isn't supposed to have any speed and speed is not really something that Vaporeon has. Granted, it doesn't have Defense either but if you want a highly defensive Vaporeon then it would be better to completely forget about Attack and Speed in order to buff up its Defense/Sp. Defense with a little bit of dedication to HP. I wouldn't shove tones and tones of EVs onto HP because that is something it has anyway and loads of HP is pointless without the defenses.

But do you want a defensive Vaporeon... or would you prefer an offensive one? The thing with EVs and the physical/special split is that you can built Pokemon to be the way you want them within reason. So if defensive isn't your style then it might be better to look to other roles for your Vaporeon.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

I know from personal experience (and lots of it) on Pokemon Showdown that the best way to build a defensive Vaporeon is to max out its HP and Defense; assuming 31 IVs and a +Def nature (preferably Bold), those stats hit 464 and 240 respectively, and its uninvested Sp. Defense still sits at 227. While those defenses seem a little underwhelming, that massive HP picks up the slack.

There are two ways to use a defensive Vaporeon, and they depend on whether or not you're using a Rain team (read: Drizzle Politoed). The "Water Absorb" way doesn't depend on rain and is geared towards supporting the rest of the team. The biggest way it does this is with Wish, since it's capable of healing most anything to full (or at least near-full) HP with those huge 232-HP Wishes. Protect goes alongside Wish, as this allows Vaporeon to stall for the Wish (and Leftovers) if it needs to heal itself. It does a few other things as well; it safely scouts for whatever a Choiced opponent wants to do so you can react accordingly, it forces opponents to endure another turn of its burn or poison, etc. However, getting too spammy with Protect can have dire consequences, as the opponent can wise up to your Protect spam and use those free turns to set up on you, so use Protect carefully. Scald is a boon on any bulky Water-type; it allows Vaporeon to inflict damage when it needs to, and there's a healthy chance of burning the opponent, which makes it a good move to use against physical attackers. There are plenty of options for the fourth move. Roar allows it to force out opponents that think they can set up on you, Ice Beam gives it a somewhat-reliable means of offense against Grass- and Dragon-types, Toxic lets it wear down bulky opponents more reliably than fishing for a burn with Scald, and Heal Bell cures your entire team of status. Heal Bell's my personal favorite, but it's up to you.

The "Hydration" way needs Rain to function, but it's more focused on walling the opponent to death. The biggest move here isn't Wish this time (though it's still viable as a side option); it's actually Rest. This is normally an unreliable move, but thanks to Hydration, Vaporeon can wake up at the end of the very turn it used the move, thereby turning it into a very reliable, nearly drawback-free means of full recovery. I say "nearly" because opposing weather starters (like Tyranitar and Ninetales) can ruin your rainy day and keep you asleep longer than desired. The rest of the moves are pretty much the same as the Water Absorb set (sans Protect).

Of course, if you want an offensive Vaporeon (certainly viable with base 110 Sp. Attack), you can build it like a tank, maxing out its Defense (its HP is already huge by itself) and Sp. Attack and giving it a Modest nature. It won't be outrunning much with base 65 Speed, so that stat's not really worth investment. A tank Vaporeon is best used in a Rain team with Hydration; this allows it to completely heal itself with Rest when necessary, and also gives its Surf or Hydro Pump an obscene amount of power, so that's always enticing. Ice Beam provides vital coverage, and so can a good Hidden Power (preferably Grass or Electric). If you'd rather not pull your hair out trying to get a good Hidden Power, though, you can always fall back on Grass Knot or Shadow Ball.
    Enzap likes this.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Okay! So I got a Bold Vaporeon with IV spread: HP-31, Atk-2, Def-26, SP Atk-4, SP Def-11, Speed-29.
    Are these good? I kinda wish the speed and sp def switched =/
    But I chekced on serebii and the sp def can max out to only about 211-214. I'm not sure if that's enough for sp def though. I mean even assuming that it had all 31 EV's for sp def, it would still only be 20 off, which isn't too bad I guess.
    And my EV spread is 252 HP, 202 Def, 50 SP Def.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Might wanna use the EV Berries to move 2 of those Defense EVs to Sp. Defense or vice-versa. EVs only do anything in 4s; the remainders just take up space.

The IVs aren't too bad; that 31 in HP is certainly very helpful. I think that Vappy could work.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Oh, yes, yes you're right. 202 isn't divisible by 4 lol