Valkyria Rain Stall

Thread: Valkyria Rain Stall

Do I have to be the ℍEℝO? Valkyria's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Valkyria Rain Stall

Valkyria Rain Stall

Introduction

Hi, I'm Valkyria. I've been playing competitive Pokemon for a while now and mostly taught myself how to play, with the help of other RMTs for inspiration, guides for knowledge, etc. I'm primarily a stall player and I'm trying to truly master stall. In the current metagame, Reuniclus is an extremely deadly Pokemon, capable of sweeping a team with 6 Pokemon remaining. I knew that Jirachi would be the Pokemon of choice if Reuniclus were to be stopped, considering how well it walls it and can stall it endlessly with Flinchax. To stop the strong, physical ground types that Jirachi disliked oh-so-much, Tangrowth and Skarmory were added, Tangrowth to take down things like Excadrill, Terrakion and prevent leech seed and Skarmory to wall Physical Dragon types and set up Spikes. Now, it didn't take too long to notice that all 3 of these Pokemon had a Fire Weakness and I still lacked weather, which, while not necessary, it quite helpful in the current meta. Enter the Toed. Politoed is still underrated as a weather starter and can provide exceptional late game power and a decent amount of Bulk. I now wanted a Pokemon possessing an ability that benefited from rain. At first, SubBU Toxicroak seemed like the best idea, but eventually I settled on Tentacruel with Rain Dish, an amazing special wall who lays Toxic Spikes and Spins away my opponents entry hazards. While the poison typing hurts it, Earth Powers from Heatran can be shaken off easily, Tentacruel also works well against Physical Attackers that have been burned by Rotom. Speaking of Rotom, the team's "glue" is no other than the Magical Washing Machine who unleashes powerful torrents of water and mighty bolts from the sky, Rotom-W. On to the team~

A Closer Look

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SAtk / 16 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Perish Song
    - Focus Blast

Politoed, the team's weather starter, boasting a bulky spread with SpAtk EVS. The 3 attacking moves are for coverage while Perish Song is for killing late game sweeps. I usually switch it out, mainly to preserve the weather, and because Tentacruel fares much better against Ninetales whereas Tangrowth beats Hippowdon and Tyranitar that lack Ice Beam, just because Hail deserves a mention, Skarmory and Jirachi eat up Abomasnow. Its powerful special attacks can nail switch ins and it has the bulk to take hits from Pokemon such as Scizor and T-Tar, provided they aren't Super-effective.

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Keen Eye
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Brave Bird
    - Roost
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind

As the team's Spike layer and primary physical wall, Skarmory can switch in to many Pokemon, such as Haxorus, Chansey and the like, quite easily. Magnezone switch ins are pretty easy to predict if you have Wi-Fi on and most Magnezone get killed off against Jirachi, who completely walls them in rain, save hax. All in all, Skarmory forms a nice partnership with Tangrowth, taking the Dragons, while Tangrowth takes down Landlos, Terrakion, Excadrill and the like.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Rain Dish
    EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Scald
    - Protect

Tentacruel is a complete monster. Toxic Spikes are extremely easy to get up and extremely disastrous for the unprepared opponent. The best part about Tentacruel is the amount of Recovery it gets each turns with Rain Dish and Leftovers and unlike things such as Stallrein, it's defensive stats make it a top tier wall. It can wall the likes of Hydreigon easily, provided they lack Draco Meteor [which is then taken like nothing by Jirachi]. I usually scout for D-Meteor with Protect, anyways, so it's not much of a problem. Scald is great for inflicting burnhax on the Pokemon that aren't affected by Toxic Spikes, such as Rotom-W, Latios, Hydreigon, etc.

Jirachi @ Leftovers

Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Iron Head
    - Psych Up
    - Wish
    - Protect

Oh Jirachi, the 5th generation's resident hax machine is one of, if not the most useful Pokemon in the current meta. Boasting great bulk, decent power and one of the most advantageous defensive typings, Jirachi is one of the major contributors to the team's sucess. Now I chose Psych Up over Body Slam for a few reasons, and while it may seem like an unorthodox choice, it was certainly the right one. Firstly, Body Slam doesn't always cause Paralysis, contrary to popular belief, and I'm not one to fish for hax, or rely on it, Scald on Tentacruel is merely to get some damage and a possible burn on things it completely walls or things that switch into it, I can win without burning a Pokemon. Body Slam also conflicts with my Toxic Spikes and, to be honest, my team is capable of handling a variety of sweepers, so I'd rather have damaging status like Poison or Burn, on my foes. Finally, Psych Up allows me to completely destroy CM sweepers like Virizion and Reuniclus by swiping their boosts and responding with powerful physical STAB. Psyshock does around 30% to Jirachi when Reuniclus is at +6, so that really isn't a problem. Once I defeat said sweeper, the opponent is automatically pressured to switch in a fast Physical thread, because Jirachi will be able to take every special attack like it's nothing.

Tangrowth (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
    Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Sleep Powder
    - Earthquake

Tangrowth is one of the better and more underrated Physical walls in today's metagame. It can provide an effective way of beating Landorus, Excadrill, Terrakion and it handles a variety of other threats well. Leech Seed is great to pass and heal Pokemon like Politoed or Tentacruel. I just took Sleep Powder from a Smogon analysis and I'm probably going to swap it out for something, but I'm having a bit of trouble as to what I should swap it out for.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers

Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 SAtk / 132 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunder
    - Hydro Pump
    - Pain Split

Rotom-W is the team's glue mon and a pretty effective one at that. Hydro Pump and Thunder effectively beat a wide range of threats, Will O wisp cripples powerful physical attackers that switch in on Rotom and I use Pain Split to heal. This thing usually stays alive for the entire game, except for when it gets hit with status.

To end this RMT, I'll say that the only two things this team would really love to have are a Cleric and a Spin Blocker, so I'm open to one of you guys suggesting one of those, as long as the team's synergy isn't hurt too much.
    Last edited by Valkyria; 13th July 2011 at 01:07 PM.

Paired to Twilightblade

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Valkyria Rain Stall

I can honestly say that this is probably the best fifth generation team that I've ever seen posted on this site. Good job! Due to the nature of this team, there are only a few minor nitpicks that I can suggest. First, I think you'd be better off with a more defensive Politoed set. Having two powerful users of Hydro Pump on a stall team is really unnecessary, IMO. I also think that you may want to run Body Slam and Stealth Rock over Psych Up and Protect on Jirachi. Jirachi really needs Body Slam to efficiently check Reuniclus. I understand that Jirachi likes to abuse Wish + Protect, but I think your team could benefit greatly from Stealth Rock support. Finally, I think you should use Heist's Defensive Tangrowth in place of the one you're currently using. His Tangrowth is more suited for the current metagame.

Summary of changes:

Defensive Politoed > Offensive Politoed
    Body Slam, Stealth Rock > Psych Up, Protect on Jirachi
    Heist's Defensive Tangrowth > Standard Tangrowth (Fourth Generation)
    Minor EV spread changes

Here's the sets for your reference:

Politoed (M) @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Perish Song
    - Rest

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 176 Def / 52 SAtk
    - Sleep Powder
    - Earthquake
    - Power Whip
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Good luck!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heathcliff Huxtable View Post
    I can honestly say that this is probably the best fifth generation team that I've ever seen posted on this site. Good job! Due to the nature of this team, there are only a few minor nitpicks that I can suggest. First, I think you'd be better off with a more defensive Politoed set. Having two powerful users of Hydro Pump on a stall team is really unnecessary, IMO. I also think that you may want to run Body Slam and Stealth Rock over Psych Up and Protect on Jirachi. Jirachi really needs Body Slam to efficiently check Reuniclus. I understand that Jirachi likes to abuse Wish + Protect, but I think your team could benefit greatly from Stealth Rock support. Finally, I think you should use Heist's Defensive Tangrowth in place of the one you're currently using. His Tangrowth is more suited for the current metagame.

Summary of changes:

Defensive Politoed > Offensive Politoed
    Body Slam, Stealth Rock > Psych Up, Protect on Jirachi
    Heist's Defensive Tangrowth > Standard Tangrowth (Fourth Generation)
    Minor EV spread changes

Here's the sets for your reference:

Politoed (M) @ Chesto Berry
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Perish Song
    - Rest

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 SDef / 40 Spd
    - Iron Head
    - Body Slam
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 176 Def / 52 SAtk
    - Sleep Powder
    - Earthquake
    - Power Whip
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Good luck!
    Thanks, that really means a lot. On to the rating, with Politoed I wanted a bulky attacker that could take some damage and dish it out as well. While an even bulkier set may be nice, Hydro Pump OHKO's threats like Scizor, in the rain and Focus Blast is my only way to directly KO Ferrothorn. While Body Slam seems like a much more practical choice on Jirachi, Psych Up allows me to stop Calm Mind sweepers like Virizion, Reuniclus and Latios by resisting their special attacks and dealing physical damage [with hax] back, to assure that they can't beat me and sweep the team. Thanks for the Tangrowth set, that really looks like something I'm willing to try, although I might put Substitute or Giga Drain over Sleep Powder. I'm really leaning towards giving this team a cleric, though, status is becoming a growing problem.

Paired to Twilightblade

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Valkyria
    THunder is superior on jirachi as compared to psych up or even body slam but only in the rain.
    U can also consider ferrothorn in place of tangrowth or even skarmory. Ferrothorn in the rain is an absolute monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Really nice team, man. Just wondering ow you counter Thundurus?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Really nice team, man. Just wondering ow you counter Thundurus?
    Thundurus is actually one of the Pokemon that cause problems for this team, which is why I'm considering giving Stealth Rock to one of my Pokemon or using something like Swampert.

Paired to Twilightblade

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyria View Post
    Thundurus is actually one of the Pokemon that cause problems for this team, which is why I'm considering giving Stealth Rock to one of my Pokemon or using something like Swampert.
    Specially bulky Swampert would work wonders. Not sure what to replace but I'd recommend either Tangrowth or maybe 'rachi.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Gastrodon is a pretty reliable Thundurus check. It isn't 2HKO'd by Grass Knot IIRC.