Therian Discussion. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Therian Discussion.

Default Re: Therian Discussion.

OK I get your point. Moving on to Tornadus-T, Torny T is a god on rain teams, dishing out hard Hurricanes. The sheer power of the move and its perfect accuracy make it nearly unstoppable except fast rock types (or rock types that aren't KOed by Focus Miss Blast or in Sand, aswell as Ice Shard.

Check No1: Weavile
    Weavile works cuz epic because of his blistering 125 speed and Ice Shard.

Check No2: Maoswine
    Mamo works because of Ice Shard

Check No3: Tyranitar
    TTar works by removing the Rain which is so desperately needed by Torny T, also boosting his Sp Def to be able to take a Focus Blast, and killing with Stone Edge.
    Last edited by legolover8; 11th October 2012 at 01:26 PM.

None of those are counters other than Tyranitar because they can't switch in on it, only revenge kill. Tyranitar can also get smacked by a Superpower.
    PM me and I'll rate your team.

Stop finding my every flaw xD. Anyway, I meant check I always get confused lol.
    How are these sets for the three Therians?

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Sharp Beak
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - U-turn
    - Heat Wave
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast

This set feigns a Specs. Sharp Beak boosts Hurricanes power to about the same level as a Specs one, seriously kicking ***. Hurricane is the STAB of choice with high power and perfect accuracy in Rain. (this is on a rain team BTW) U-turn is for switching with style, maybe to avoid a SE move or just to get out of a tricky situation. Focus Blast is for the coverage against rocks and ices, even though it doesn't have the 'perfect' accuracy. Heat Wave is the least used move, used only on Scizor/Genesect/Forretress ETC before Rain is up or Sun/Sand/Hail is up.

Prohawk (Landorus-T) (M) @ Normal Gem
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion

This is a gimmick Landorus that is extremely effective. U-turn is the reason I chose Landy (this is on a Volt-turn team) as he is the best Intimi-U-Turner out there (there is only 3 XD). EarthQuake is the STAB of choice, called the best move by many. Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combo, and is my best bet against all ghosts. Explosion is the gimmick of the set. We were discussing Landorus-T in the CG channel on PO (CG:My clan) and we decided to use the GemSplosion set on a friends team. So I went along and pinched it and it is the most effective person on my team. I don't use Explosion often, but when I do, stuff is going down.

Thundurus-T (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Finally,not a gimmick! This is just a standard LO Thundurus-T. T-bolt is the main STAB with high enough power. Volt Switch is for switching, on the same team as Landy-T - A Volt-Turn team. Focus Blast is for the coverage, and HP Ice forms pseudo BoltBeam coverage.

That took a long time.

Sharp Beak only boosts by 20% so a lot of players would be able to tell you aren't running specs just by the lack of damage they take.

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    Sharp Beak only boosts by 20% so a lot of players would be able to tell you aren't running specs just by the lack of damage they take.
    Most things die to hurricane anyway. They see the boosted power and think "Specs".

It works, ok? XD

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by legolover8 View Post
    Stop finding my every flaw xD. Anyway, I meant check I always get confused lol.
    How are these sets for the three Therians?

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Sharp Beak
    Trait: Regenerator
    - U-turn
    - Heat Wave
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast

This set feigns a Specs. Sharp Beak boosts Hurricanes power to about the same level as a Specs one, seriously kicking ***. Hurricane is the STAB of choice with high power and perfect accuracy in Rain. (this is on a rain team BTW) U-turn is for switching with style, maybe to avoid a SE move or just to get out of a tricky situation. Focus Blast is for the coverage against rocks and ices, even though it doesn't have the 'perfect' accuracy. Heat Wave is the least used move, used only on Scizor/Genesect/Forretress ETC before Rain is up or Sun/Sand/Hail is up.

Prohawk (Landorus-T) (M) @ Normal Gem
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Explosion

This is a gimmick Landorus that is extremely effective. U-turn is the reason I chose Landy (this is on a Volt-turn team) as he is the best Intimi-U-Turner out there (there is only 3 XD). EarthQuake is the STAB of choice, called the best move by many. Stone Edge forms the EdgeQuake combo, and is my best bet against all ghosts. Explosion is the gimmick of the set. We were discussing Landorus-T in the CG channel on PO (CG:My clan) and we decided to use the GemSplosion set on a friends team. So I went along and pinched it and it is the most effective person on my team. I don't use Explosion often, but when I do, stuff is going down.

Thundurus-T (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    - Thunderbolt
    - Volt Switch
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Finally,not a gimmick! This is just a standard LO Thundurus-T. T-bolt is the main STAB with high enough power. Volt Switch is for switching, on the same team as Landy-T - A Volt-Turn team. Focus Blast is for the coverage, and HP Ice forms pseudo BoltBeam coverage.

That took a long time.
    I would rather use expert belt if I want to fool my opponent and superpower instead of focus blast.

I would say that any volt-turner with life Orb gets worn down too quickly(unless he has regenerator). Again specs or even expert belt would be better on Thundurus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

No it's Dr. Strange, love Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Personally, as a VGC player I am interested in seeing how the Therian formes will affect that metagame. Personally though, I doubt they will make much of a difference.
    Tornados and Thundurus are mostly used in VGC due to Prankster. I'm not sure how Tornadus-T might be used, but Thundurus-T could find a niche in rain teams as a bulky sweeper.

Landorus' intimidate is an interesting option. It's a popular ability in VGC right now, as it's effects are more devastating in 4v4 doubles as opposed to 6v6 singles. Defiant Landorus might be more beneficial though, but unfortunately getting a goodie would be near impossible (Dream Radar transfers the Pokémon to the PC, no change to RNG or soft reset).

The problem with any bluff items is that an experienced player will work out the item based on damage if it isn't a 1HKO. As Tornadus-T cannot be scarfed and have no boosted power then it cannot bluff ione and it will instead obviously be running expert belt.

Blog Entries
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Wynaut Flight Gem Acrobatics with Tornadus-T?

Flight Gem gets used before Acrobatics factors in whether the user is holding an item or not. Only thing is though, Incarnate Tornadus has slightly higher attack.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post

Flight Gem gets used before Acrobatics factors in whether the user is holding an item or not. Only thing is though, Incarnate Tornadus has slightly higher attack.
    Because Physical STAB Flying has more trouble than Special STAB Flying with LO, and Superpower can deal with Blissey and Chansey.

Much love to Zurr

Incarnate Tornadus is actually ok as an Acrobatics user outsid of rain. I've seen some pretty good teams with it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post

Because Physical STAB Flying has more trouble than Special STAB Flying with LO, and Superpower can deal with Blissey and Chansey.
    Aren't Acrobatics and Superpower both physical moves? Wouldn't trying to run a special STAB move and a physical fighting move in the same moveset be a bad idea?
    Acrobatics has a base power of 55. Flying Gem would boost the base power of it to 82.5. Then Acrobatics ends up doubling that, which would make its base power effectively 165 before STAB. After that first use, you still have a good 110 base power move with no drawbacks other than no longer having a hold item.

I'm not too sure about singles, but in VGC, Acrobatics is the go-to move for Physical Flying STAB and I've seen it used very well with Tornadus.

Superpower is on the moveset for coverage. It allows you to lure in standard Tornadus counters and then deal big damage to them (Rotom-W, Ferrothorn...)

Blog Entries

Aren't Acrobatics and Superpower both physical moves? Wouldn't trying to run a special STAB move and a physical fighting move in the same moveset be a bad idea?
    Acrobatics has a base power of 55. Flying Gem would boost the base power of it to 82.5. Then Acrobatics ends up doubling that, which would make its base power effectively 165 before STAB. After that first use, you still have a good 110 base power move with no drawbacks other than no longer having a hold item.

I'm not too sure about singles, but in VGC, Acrobatics is the go-to move for Physical Flying STAB and I've seen it used very well with Tornadus.
    Hurricane's sheer power can deal with Skarmory and other resists, where Acrobatics wouldn't. Superpower deals with Tornadus's few counters, and allows it to support itself in a sweep. Acrobatics is good for VGC, I won't lie, but I think that has a lot to do with Amoonguss's commonness as well.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Hurricane's sheer power can deal with Skarmory and other resists, where Acrobatics wouldn't. Superpower deals with Tornadus's few counters, and allows it to support itself in a sweep. Acrobatics is good for VGC, I won't lie, but I think that has a lot to do with Amoonguss's commonness as well.
    Unless you're in rain though, Hurricane has terrible accuracy. If you decide to use rain, that means you'll either have to use a Politoed (but one problem I have with them is what to do with them after rain has come up?) or a rain dance set up and frankly...Prankster Thundurus/Tornadus would be my choice for that role.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast