Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...? - Page 7

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...?

Swift Swim Gyardos with the addition of hurricane. Hurricane, Surf, Thunder, Rain Dance. Oh yeah.
    Anything that could have Simple, Shell Smash, Guard Swap and Baton Pass backed up with decent stats would also be incredible. Imagine handing that off to a No-Guard Pokemon.

Blog Entries

I don't think that Swift Swim would help Gyarados very much. Intimidate gives Gyarados the ability to force out some physical attackers that could otherwise threaten it.

I'd also like to point out that Gyarados is pretty much unviable as a special attacker in rain because it is severely outclassed by a large number of other Pokemon.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Any Ghost-type with Rapid Spin. I can wait, GameFreak, I can wait.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heathcliff Huxtable View Post
    I don't think that Swift Swim would help Gyarados very much. Intimidate gives Gyarados the ability to force out some physical attackers that could otherwise threaten it.

I'd also like to point out that Gyarados is pretty much unviable as a special attacker in rain because it is severely outclassed by a large number of other Pokemon.
    That's very true. I just want something that will strike first and always hit with powerful status spreading moves.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Heathcliff Huxtable View Post

[...]
    I think Swift Swim Gyarados would be good--Gyarados certainly wouldn't mind having two choices for a non-hidden ability, and its usability would further go up, as well as its potential set factor (making Gyarados, ultimately, harder to predict).

There are two bad adjectives that can describe Intimidate: 1) useless (at times--as it can be useless at times), and 2) idle (once the trigger-off effect is gone). Swift Swim would differentiate itself at times, and, if used with intent, would tend to not be useless. (Not that Intimidate is useless--far, far from it: it can just end up that way.)(And not that Swift Swim can't be useless or idle either.)
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

What if held items had never been implemented? What kinds of Pokemon would dominate an environment like that?
    Likewise, which Pokemon would be completely non-viable without them?

Blog Entries

Assuming Swift Swim + Drizzle is still banned, I highly doubt that Swift Swim would increase Gyarados's usage at all.

IMO, what sets Gyarados apart from other physical water types is its good defensive typing combined with Intimidate. Gyarados's ability to set-up on forced switches made it a fairly reliable sweeper, especially in metagames such as pre-Salamence ban DPP OU. With Swift Swim in place of Intimidate, Gyarados would become little more than a Swords Dance-less Kabutops with a resistance to Mach Punch and Bullet Punch.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    What if held items had never been implemented? What kinds of Pokemon would dominate an environment like that?
    Likewise, which Pokemon would be completely non-viable without them?
    Stall would start dominating as bulky boosters would become necessary in the absence of choice items and lo.Sandstorm would be even more devastating.I think it would be similar to Gsc(except for the leftovers part)
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rutvik View Post
    Stall would start dominating as bulky boosters would become necessary in the absence of choice items and lo.Sandstorm would be even more devastating.I think it would be similar to Gsc(except for the leftovers part)
    I would have thought there would be an increase in usage of boosting moves in general - offensive and defensive. It seems like the aim of a battle would be to simply get to +6 whatever before your opponent does. I don't think stall would "start dominating" - I think stall would be hit as hard as offensive teams by the change, what with them losing their main items - Leftovers and Eviolites.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwebble View Post
    I would have thought there would be an increase in usage of boosting moves in general - offensive and defensive. It seems like the aim of a battle would be to simply get to +6 whatever before your opponent does. I don't think stall would "start dominating" - I think stall would be hit as hard as offensive teams by the change, what with them losing their main items - Leftovers and Eviolites.
    The stall pokes would just use Roar/Haze/Whirlwind to make all those boosts go down the gutter.Whats more offensive pokes lack recovery moves while stall mons have recovery moves which means that offensive mons would be worn down quickly by entry hazards.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

The stall pokes would just use Roar/Haze/Whirlwind to make all those boosts go down the gutter.Whats more offensive pokes lack recovery moves while stall mons have recovery moves which means that offensive mons would be worn down quickly by entry hazards.
    Not every offensive Pokémon lacks recovery moves, and not every offensive Pokémon needs them. The fact that boosting attackers can be pHazed out is the exact same situation as right now - nothing about that would change if hold items were never thought of. Like now, prediction and good switching would be key to winning battles.

Blog Entries

Not every offensive Pokémon lacks recovery moves, and not every offensive Pokémon needs them. The fact that boosting attackers can be pHazed out is the exact same situation as right now - nothing about that would change if hold items were never thought of. Like now, prediction and good switching would be key to winning battles.
    You are forgetting the force of choice band and specs.Let me give you an example:
    SpecsKyogre 2hkos Blissey.However a Kyogre holding no item cannot do it.
    This is just one example.There are many more.
    G/S/C was regarded as a stall fest, because of the lack of boosting items like life orb.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

You are forgetting the force of choice band and specs.Let me give you an example:
    SpecsKyogre 2hkos Blissey.However a Kyogre holding no item cannot do it.
    This is just one example.There are many more.
    G/S/C was regarded as a stall fest, because of the lack of boosting items like life orb.
    Then the intelligence of battlers, and the quality of battles in general, would improve. With a lack of items, stall may have a slight advantage due to it not losing items as significant or important as offensive items, but I have no doubt that offensive would be able to keep up. There obviously wasn't as many Pokémon around back in G/S/C as we have now, but most of the great offensive Pokémon have been introduced since then, and they are able to handle opposing defensive threats, most of them without the real need of items, if the player uses them right.

I wouldn't use a Kyogre to attack a Blissey anyway, even with those numbers.

Blog Entries

Then the intelligence of battlers, and the quality of battles in general, would improve. With a lack of items, stall may have a slight advantage due to it not losing items as significant or important as offensive items, but I have no doubt that offensive would be able to keep up. There obviously wasn't as many Pokémon around back in G/S/C as we have now, but most of the great offensive Pokémon have been introduced since then, and they are able to handle opposing defensive threats, most of them without the real need of items, if the player uses them right.

I wouldn't use a Kyogre to attack a Blissey anyway, even with those numbers.
    No buddy, pokemon like lucario absolutely need lo to work.Items also improve battles.For example most people expect to outspeed t-tar but the attacker can use scarf-tar and surprise and KO threats.Many pokes rely on scarf,band (Cb scizor) to function effectively.Finally, offensive pokes also lose Lum berries and other useful items.And another way to cripple stall, namely "Tricking" also becomes impossible.

And no its not a great idea to "attack" blissey with Kyogre.But its a hobby of Ubers battlers to spam Kyogre water spouts.So blissey has to repeatedly come in to sponge the hits, which means that unless there is a double switch, blissey will be forced to take 2 specs water-spouts,which is too much for blissey to handle.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

No buddy, pokemon like lucario absolutely need lo to work.Items also improve battles.For example most people expect to outspeed t-tar but the attacker can use scarf-tar and surprise and KO threats.Many pokes rely on scarf,band (Cb scizor) to function effectively.Finally, offensive pokes also lose Lum berries and other useful items.And another way to cripple stall, namely "Tricking" also becomes impossible.

And no its not a great idea to "attack" blissey with Kyogre.But its a hobby of Ubers battlers to spam Kyogre water spouts.So blissey has to repeatedly come in to sponge the hits, which means that unless there is a double switch, blissey will be forced to take 2 specs water-spouts,which is too much for blissey to handle.
    So offensive will lose the ability to use a few Pokémon to their full potential - big deal? The same applies for defensive Pokémon, too. You're focusing on how offensive Pokémon will lose out in this scenario, and I agree with you that they will - hugely - but defensive Pokémon would be affected too. You mention how Tricking wouldn't be an option for offensive Pokémon any more, but at the same time, this gets rid of that threat to offensive Pokémon. Offensive Pokémon would lose Choice items, a set of items deemed crucial in using a Pokémon's full potential, but defensive Pokémon would lose items that they need, too, as I said - Eviolites, Leftovers, Berries (Lum, mostly). I know it's your opinion, and I respect it, but I don't understand how you can think stall wouldn't be affected at all, and other play-styles would suddenly become inferior.

Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast