Theorymonning: Changes to Game Mechanics and The Metagame
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Theorymonning: Changes to Game Mechanics and The Metagame

Default Theorymonning: Changes to Game Mechanics and The Metagame

Okay, to compliment the Theorymonning: What if this Pokemon had...? Thread, I thought I would start a similar thread of:

"What would happen to the Metagame if the mechanics of moves, status conditions, weather and hazards changed?"

To put it simply, quite a lot of the Metagame in Gen 5 is rather centralised around particular mechanics, such as entry hazards and the weather. This thread intends to discuss the potential effects that changes to these mechanics will have on the metagame; will certain changes break the metagame, balance it out, or even give otherwise forgotten Pokemon a chance to shine and show their worth?

Akin to the restrictions of the other thread, try to keep away from giving Pokemon new attacks and abilities, themselves, but focus on the mechanics of moves they already have.

I guess I'll start. There are two words that strike fear in the hearts of Pokemon such as Moltres and Volcarona... STEALTH ROCKS!
    Definitely one of the more defining features of the Gen 4 and Gen 5 Metagame.

So I put out this question... Instead SR doing 12.5% of MAXIMUM HP damage upon entry, what if SR did 12.5% of a Pokemon's CURRENT HP (Factoring in Type Effectiveness).

So, for example: You have a Charizard at ~40% Health. You switch it in with SR on the Field, and it takes ~20% damage, rather than KOing it with 50% damage.

Would this affect the popularity of SR, at all? And will it increase the usage of certain Pokemon that are otherwise blighted by those dastardly Rocks?

(NB: The new SR mechanic will still inflict at least 1HP damage... Sorry, Shedinja :P)

Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Theorymonning: Changes to Game Mechanics and The Metagame

I really do feel that a nerf on Stealth Rock is kinda necessary. Sure, Volcy, Charizard, and others would still suffer, especially at full health, but at least they'd have a better shot with what you proposed.

By the way, I definitely like the idea behind this thread.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Hm, if SR is changed like that, I would definitely use Pokemon like Eviolite Scyther a lot more. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a Pokemon 4x weak with Regenerator would get the most benefit, and, if there was such a Pokemon, would gain a boost in usage.

Also, if this changed, I'd expect a lot more usage in Spikes and such, as well as Rapid Spinner usage to decline, because the SR is less likely to kill you now, thought it will still cripple some Pokemon.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    Hm, if SR is changed like that, I would definitely use Pokemon like Eviolite Scyther a lot more. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that a Pokemon 4x weak with Regenerator would get the most benefit, and, if there was such a Pokemon, would gain a boost in usage.

Also, if this changed, I'd expect a lot more usage in Spikes and such, as well as Rapid Spinner usage to decline, because the SR is less likely to kill you now, thought it will still cripple some Pokemon.
    I'm not so sure Spikes usage would increase too much, as the primary targets of Stealth Rocks in terms of x4 damage are Flying-types (bar Volcarona). So they'll be immune to Spikes anway.

That being said, 1 layer of Spikes is now guaranteed to be more effective than Stealth Rocks against more land-bound Pokemon, so its merits do increase.

Agreed, though, that general Spinner usage would probably drop a bit, maybe even see some spinners drop a tier.

Also, Ho-Oh has Regenerator, so it might see a bit more use.

_______

As a side discussion, I was thinking:

No Guard allows 100% accuracy to moves executed by AND aimed towards a Pokemon with the ability.

What if Serene Grace affected both Pokemon, too? Would we see a decrease in use of Pokemon such as Jirachi and Togekiss, at all? Or does the fact their movesets are tailored towards hax mean it's worth the increased risk of status?

(Also, lol Jirachi vs. Ho-Oh's Sacred Fire. 100% Burn Chance :P)
    Last edited by Night22Wing; 5th August 2013 at 04:41 PM.

Blog Entries

To be fair, Jirachi vs Sacred Fire isn't going to last very long, lol.
    I feel that we'd still see Togekiss and Jirachi. I mean, once they get going on a Pokémon they outspeed, it can get pretty hard to stop.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

I wonder if the type chart could be part of the suggestions as well. If so, I would propose Grass to lose the Ice weakness first.

When Grass-types lose the Ice weakness, they will fare better against Water-types that would normally carry Ice coverage. It would still be useful for Dragon-types, but now Grass-types could put up a much better fight. Water-types would be forced to carry a Fire attack to specifically deal with Grass-types, or perhaps Signal Beam if they have it. It would overall be better for Grass-types.

Another thing I wonder is the addition of Dragon resistances, so as for what current types would resist Dragon-types, I am thinking Ice- and Poison-types.

The main reason I suggested both types are so that Dragon doesn't get perfect coverage with Dragon-Fight, disregarding Steel/Ghost. For the Ice-types, they will become a lot better at countering Dragon-types, especially Mamoswine and Cloyster. It will also make them more wary with using Outrage precisely because more types will resist them. Poison-types don't necessarily hit them back well, but they could do some nasty stuff, such as using Toxic on them or just hitting them with their strongest attacks.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus article: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 2 (Selected TCG Art) (01/12/2014)

Happy NintendoDay Europe! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Personally, I do think the type chart needs to be changed. Obviously, the introduction of Fairy-types will mix things up a bit and it is good to see Dragon getting another weakness, but really, the Water-type needs nerfing the most. My suggestion would be making Poison-type super-effective against Water, which gives Water another weakness, but also gives Poison another advantage that it really needs. Another possibility would be making Ice immune to water, as y'know...the water would just freeze and become ice. I do agree with @winstein; that Grass needs balancing as well - I would suggest removing the Ice-type weakness.

Weather really dominates the VGC format and many teams tend to run a Pokemon like Tyranitar or Abomasnow just to disrupt an opponent's weather. Personally, I'd like Drizzle, Drought, Sand Stream and Snow Warning nerfed so that the weather is only up for 5 turns after the Pokémon has been sent out, as if you had just used Rain Dance, Sunny Day, Sandstorm or Hail.

Blog Entries

I think if Ice Types resisted Water Type Attacks, it would prevent from most Ice Types being jokes offensively.

Much love to Zurr

As much as I enjoy the Type chart debates, I think there are a couple of other threads on the subject.

But @Joshawott does make an interesting suggestion on weather abilities. Would the ability reset if the pokemon returned and came back out before the 5 turns were over, or would the 5 turns be 'fixed'?

How about this suggestion: what if the weather would only last for 5 turns after the pokemon has left the field, but would last indefinitely whilst the pokemon is active (disregarding disruptions).

It makes sense that a summoner of rain, for example, would keep rain up whilst it is around, but would slowly lose its power of rain when it leaves.

I can only see this working in favour of rain (and sandstorm), again, however, as Ninetales and Abomasnow would have to keep returning to the field to keep the weather up, and they're weak to Stealth Rocks.

Blog Entries

I really think that the whole weather thing is fine, however I do have a suggestion regarding it. What if Cloud Nine/Airlock completely removed the weather, and didn't just prevent the effects. It'd be sort of like a reverse weather-inducer. If that mechanic was changed, I think the majority of the problems would be solved, as Cloud Nine is already available for a good number of Pokemon.

I really think that the whole weather thing is fine, however I do have a suggestion regarding it. What if Cloud Nine/Airlock completely removed the weather, and didn't just prevent the effects. It'd be sort of like a reverse weather-inducer. If that mechanic was changed, I think the majority of the problems would be solved, as Cloud Nine is already available for a good number of Pokemon.
    I think that's a great idea; I think Altaria will get a bit of use if that were the case. It's a shame that nothing with U-Turn/Volt Switch can have Cloud Nine; it'd make an interesting weather stopping pivot.

Similarly, do you think Overcoat should cancel the effects of weather-altered attacks aimed towards that Pokemon. For example, I have a Reuniclus with Overcoat against a Ninetales. Ninetales is about to use Solarbeam, but, despite the sun being out, it's becomes a 2-turn attack again, because it was aimed towards Reuniclus.

Blog Entries

What if we went beyond abilities and had Defog, Mist and Haze all nullify the active weather?

Much love to Zurr

It would definitely help, Lickilicky might see some niche usage as a cleric that can nullify weather, it's just too bad Wish is illegal with Cloud Nine. On the other hand Hail as a playstyle would be devastated, as it commonly sees use as "anti-weather" on otherwise weatherless teams, which Cloud Nine can accomplish with far less collateral damage.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    What if we went beyond abilities and had Defog, Mist and Haze all nullify the active weather?
    Haze would become rather overpowered, and Mist would seem to have the opposite effect. However, Defog would make perfect sense, and would probably elevate itself in usage if it were to remove active weather.

@Night22Wing; Overcoat is an interesting thought, and would seriously mess with the opponent's strategy. It'd be like Simple, but with weather. The power boosts from Rain/Sun, the 100% acc from Hail or Rain on Blizzard, Thunder or Hurricane... Maybe even the miss chance for Fog?

Speaking of Fog, what would happen if a new 'mon was introduced with a Fog-starting ability?

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Haze would be THE go to move if it got that effect... Though Defog is definitely a possibility that I approve of!

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    It would definitely help, Lickilicky might see some niche usage as a cleric that can nullify weather, it's just too bad Wish is illegal with Cloud Nine. On the other hand Hail as a playstyle would be devastated, as it commonly sees use as "anti-weather" on otherwise weatherless teams, which Cloud Nine can accomplish with far less collateral damage.
    Lickilicky might see quite a bit of OU usage because of Cloud nine. It's more than bulky enough to take a hit, and makes for some decent support.

I guess the question is: Is sacrificing a spot for Lickilicky worth the destruction of weather?
    In my opinion, yes. If something like Camerupt got Cloud Nine, instead, I don't think his mediocre presence would be worth the sacrifice... But Lickilicky should be useful enough to, say, fill in a role that defensive Celebi or similar could fill (though, not as well).

Haze would become rather overpowered, and Mist would seem to have the opposite effect. However, Defog would make perfect sense, and would probably elevate itself in usage if it were to remove active weather.

@Night22Wing; Overcoat is an interesting thought, and would seriously mess with the opponent's strategy. It'd be like Simple, but with weather. The power boosts from Rain/Sun, the 100% acc from Hail or Rain on Blizzard, Thunder or Hurricane... Maybe even the miss chance for Fog?

Speaking of Fog, what would happen if a new 'mon was introduced with a Fog-starting ability?

If Fog got an ability, I would go into the corning and begin crying.
    Though the concept of Focus Blast hitting only 49% of the time does amuse me, because I never use the attack!

Related question: What TYPE would Fog go under? From Castform, I get the "Normal" vibe... But could it fit any other typing?

I could imagine Overcoat becoming the ability of choice for quite a few Pokemon with those added effects.
    Forretress makes some sense, as Rocks are usually on the field, so Sturdy is broken anyway... Though there's nothing really offensive (bar Reuniclus, who has two other great abilities, and Cloyster, who should stick to Shell Smashing and Skill Linking) to make the best of opponents missing Thunders, or weakened Flamethrowers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast