Themed Teams #2

View Poll Results: Do you want Stealth Rocks to be allowed or not?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes to Stealth Rocks

0 0%
  • No to Stealth Rocks

5 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Themed Teams #2

Blog Entries

Default Themed Teams #2

Themed Teams #2
    OK, so it's been a while since we've done one of these.

For those of you who don't know/remember, the idea behind Themed Teams is for a team to be created based around a certain theme. Last time, it was Moustache Men, with all Pokémon having Moustaches.

As of now, we're altering the "Themed Teams" concept a little. Basically, instead of making a team, discuss the possibilities with the specific Pokémon involved. Ask any questions you might have about potential Pokémon in this thread, and overall just discuss strategies and so forth.

Then, after about two weeks, we're going to start a tournament based on the theme. It'll be single bracket elimination. Winner gets something. Probably an Internet cookie, but who knows, it might be something good!

At any rate, the theme this time is

I'm so sorry, I just couldn't resist. If you want to be more dignified, feel free to think of this as "Sky Battles," and pre-game fun to X and Y.

Basically, if any Pokémon can fly or have Levitate and are in the Smogon OU Tier, they're fair game. We will most likely be allowing other Pokémon that look like they can fly/levitate, Heracross, Beedrill, and Magnezone, for example, so keep that in mind. You'll know for sure in a day or two. If there are any Pokémon you think should be allowed which we didn't, feel free to post here saying why you think it should be allowed.

Basically, in this thread, discuss potential Pokémon and strategies, and ask any questions you may have.

Have fun, and get ready!

Also, if someone makes a team entirely composed of Charizard, Pidgeot, Swellow, Gliscor, or another of Ash's Flyer's/Levitators, and makes it to semifinals, I will love you forever.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Themed Teams #2

I think that the sky battles are be dominated by the few Electric types that would be in a modern-gen tier. Thundurus-T, Rotom-Wash, and Zapdos seem like they would be unstoppable forces.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Still, you've got Pokémon like Gliscor who'll be there for that very reason. I'd imagine that without Stealth Rock, pokémon like Charizard and Moltres would see more usage.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thundagere View Post
    Still, you've got Pokémon like Gliscor who'll be there for that very reason. I'd imagine that without Stealth Rock, pokémon like Charizard and Moltres would see more usage.
    That's the issue, though. Ground-flying types get smoked by HP Ice, although, Yache Berry may go up in usage for that fact.

Much love to Zurr

The Badassest Gardevoir BadAssGardevoir's Avatar

Just a question about the tourney: can Pokemon BELOW the OU Tier be used in it? Also can Pokemon like Garchomp and Dragonair be used in it?
    Last edited by BadAssGardevoir; 25th July 2013 at 06:33 AM.
    Bulbagarden Battle leauge Fairy Gym Leader (THIS IMPLIES NOTHING!) and temporary Bug Gym leader.

Claims:Zorua, Naght daze and Stance change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mozila Fennekin View Post
    Just a question about the tourney: can Pokemon BELOW the OU Tier be used in it? Also can Pokemon like Garchomp and Dragonair be used in it?
    Below the OU Tier POkemon can be used in this tournament can be used, just like how the standard OU works. And No Garchomp and Dragonair cannot be used in it, although Salamence and Dragonite are still available.

Much love to Zurr

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

Not participating in this, but just a thought:

I feel like Custap Skarmory + Agility or Substitute Baton Pass Zapdos + Gravity Landorus-T would be a pretty interesting core; it's obvious that Zapdos is going to be a salient threat in such a metagame, but I feel like Gravity Landorus-T would be mildly interesting here: Gravity, of course, negates the Ground-type immunity both Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate have, meaning that the number of Ground-type resistances is minimal. With Landorus-T's insane base Attack, I think opponents will be hard-pressed to stop its onslaught once or if it gets going; even without Stealth Rock, it seems like it would perform admirably well. Other things that might be fun are Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega (though it suffers from a serious lack of Speed compared to things like Lati@s, Zapdos, Thundurus-T, Tornadus-I, etc.), Rotom-W (flying resist is invaluable), the aforementioned things that Yanmega has trouble with...

I'm thinking:

dual screen memento latios + custap skarm + gravity/stone edge/earthquake/hp ice landorus-t + substitute/tbolt/hp ice or agility/baton pass zapdos

might be interesting. Use whatever you like as filler; Scarf Salamence or Scarf Staraptor seem like particularly interesting options.

Watch out for Taunt Aerodactyl, I guess.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I think Rotom might become a problem, especially Rotom-W, as it would only be weak to Grass. There is only one Grass/Flying type that is eligible (Tropius) and that's kinda meh. The few Pokémon that can learn good grass-type moves and use them effectively are few and far between as well.

Blog Entries

Surely Dragonite would be the dominate force.

Multiscale + extreme speed + thunder punch + outrage + dragon dance = sorry but there is very little that wont get very badly pounded.

Hydreigon would also be a match up nightmare especially with charge beam boosting.

Tiers tend to gear themselves around stopping the Alpha threat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    Surely Dragonite would be the dominate force.

Multiscale + extreme speed + thunder punch + outrage + dragon dance = sorry but there is very little that wont get very badly pounded.

Hydreigon would also be a match up nightmare especially with charge beam boosting.

Tiers tend to gear themselves around stopping the Alpha threat.
    Ice Punch should probably get use over Thunder Punch, although, I guess it gets Articuno with TP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I think Rotom might become a problem, especially Rotom-W, as it would only be weak to Grass. There is only one Grass/Flying type that is eligible (Tropius) and that's kinda meh. The few Pokémon that can learn good grass-type moves and use them effectively are few and far between as well.
    Carnivine is actually a bit of a Niche Counter to Rotom-W, too, along with Rotom-C working to stop Rotom.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post

Ice Punch should probably get use over Thunder Punch, although, I guess it gets Articuno with TP?
    Tbh any dragonite is mainly going to be attempting dragon dance -> outrage sweeping. Ice punch would hurt flying, zapdos and gengar but you'd still most likely use outrage purely on stab and overall power/damage.

Thunder Punch gets skarmory the "flying phy wall" and has a natural damage bonus vs flying (like ice punch).

Blog Entries

Scarf Motor Drive Emolga spamming Electro Ball for the win. I feel BoltBeam will becme very common place. Icy Wind and Tbolt Gengar seems promising, only really fearing Rotom-W and Hydreigon, but it has Giga Drain and Focus Blast as options too.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Codface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post

Tbh any dragonite is mainly going to be attempting dragon dance -> outrage sweeping. Ice punch would hurt flying, zapdos and gengar but you'd still most likely use outrage purely on stab and overall power/damage.

Thunder Punch gets skarmory the "flying phy wall" and has a natural damage bonus vs flying (like ice punch).
    Forgot about Skarm, I was only thinking about Landorus and Gliscor.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Scarf Motor Drive Emolga spamming Electro Ball for the win. I feel BoltBeam will becme very common place. Icy Wind and Tbolt Gengar seems promising, only really fearing Rotom-W and Hydreigon, but it has Giga Drain and Focus Blast as options too.
    SubDisable Gengar might viable since there are a few pokemon who only have one move to hit it with.

Much love to Zurr

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

It's definitely possible, but I think that Lati@s should be a fairly solid stop to every Rotom forme aside from Rotom-F, since it resists the three best formes' STABs and can either blast Rotom-A with a boosted Draco Meteor, or simply set up with Calm Mind. Nevertheless, I feel like Rotom-A is definitely something to watch out for, since it's a fairly solid Flying resistance, which will likely be invaluable. I'd also expect to see more physically defensive ones to take ridiculous stuff likes CB Staraptor's Brave Bird, which 2HKOs standard Rotom-W with SR (!). By the way, unless I'm missing something (and that's certainly possible), isn't Jumpluff allowed? It's also Grass/Flying and can run a passable Flying Gem Acrobatics set with Swords Dance / Seed Bomb / Acrobatics / Sleep Powder that can OHKO 232/0 Rotom-W at +2 with a boost. Unfortunately, SD Acro Jumpluff is terrible without permanent Sun and shaky at best with it, but still.

Also, has anyone thought about how invaluable SR Aero is going to be? The only two Pokemon that can stop it from setting up SR are other Aerodactyl and Xatu (the only Rapid Spinner that I think is allowed is Delibird and if you say that is viable I swear to god), and Aero just drops pretty dank prehistoric poop on Xatu anyway. I don't think I even need to explain the significance of being able to have SR up in this metagame, as it speaks for itself, really. Now that I think about it, actually, Claydol does get Rapid Spin and Levitate, thus you could probably get away with using it since it seems like it might be a decent pivot with something like Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, or Toxic / Psychic / Rapid Spin / Ice Beam. A little weak, but it would make for a suitable spinner, I guess. Oh, and Cryogonal get Rapid Spin, too. To be honest, Cryogonal seems like a seriously threatening Pokemon in this metagame due to its access to STAB Ice Beam, but Articuno also has that and another STAB. This looks like a lot of fun.

Edit: NEVER MIND I THOUGHT THAT CRYOGONAL HAD 105 BASE SATK AND A NON-TERRIBLE SPECIAL MOVEPOOL
    Last edited by scheisskopf; 27th July 2013 at 03:48 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scheisskopf View Post
    It's definitely possible, but I think that Lati@s should be a fairly solid stop to every Rotom forme aside from Rotom-F, since it resists the three best formes' STABs and can either blast Rotom-A with a boosted Draco Meteor, or simply set up with Calm Mind. Nevertheless, I feel like Rotom-A is definitely something to watch out for, since it's a fairly solid Flying resistance, which will likely be invaluable. I'd also expect to see more physically defensive ones to take ridiculous stuff likes CB Staraptor's Brave Bird, which 2HKOs standard Rotom-W with SR (!). By the way, unless I'm missing something (and that's certainly possible), isn't Jumpluff allowed? It's also Grass/Flying and can run a passable Flying Gem Acrobatics set with Swords Dance / Seed Bomb / Acrobatics / Sleep Powder that can OHKO 232/0 Rotom-W at +2 with a boost. Unfortunately, SD Acro Jumpluff is terrible without permanent Sun and shaky at best with it, but still.

Also, has anyone thought about how invaluable SR Aero is going to be? The only two Pokemon that can stop it from setting up SR are other Aerodactyl and Xatu (the only Rapid Spinner that I think is allowed is Delibird and if you say that is viable I swear to god), and Aero just drops pretty dank prehistoric poop on Xatu anyway. I don't think I even need to explain the significance of being able to have SR up in this metagame, as it speaks for itself, really. Now that I think about it, actually, Claydol does get Rapid Spin and Levitate, thus you could probably get away with using it since it seems like it might be a decent pivot with something like Stealth Rock, Stone Edge, or Toxic / Psychic / Rapid Spin / Ice Beam. A little weak, but it would make for a suitable spinner, I guess. Oh, and Cryogonal get Rapid Spin, too. To be honest, Cryogonal seems like a seriously threatening Pokemon in this metagame due to its access to STAB Ice Beam, but Articuno also has that and another STAB. This looks like a lot of fun.

Edit: NEVER MIND I THOUGHT THAT CRYOGONAL HAD 105 BASE SATK AND A NON-TERRIBLE SPECIAL MOVEPOOL
    SR might get banned if participants want it to be. Jumpluff is quite frail, which may be why it was forgotten.

Moltres might be very interesting in this tournament, not being able to get past Rotom-W, but having a lot of power on everything else.

Much love to Zurr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast