Jellicent
    Jellicent is currently with possible moves:
    Scald
    Shadow Ball
    Will o Wisp
    Taunt
    Toxic
    Recover
    We need to decide on these. Possibly Scald over Will o Wisp? Pokémon immune to Scald are normally bulky enough that burning won't make a huge difference, with a few exceptions.
    Landorus is on the team too, unless it was removed or something without me knowing.

I still think Alakazam should be considered as our main special attacker.

Default Re: Themed Teams #1

To get some more progress on this team we could turn this into a ladder race and then post the teams we use.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    To get some more progress on this team we could turn this into a ladder race and then post the teams we use.
    Could definitely work.

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

I agree with Alakazam.

As with Laddering, that's a good suggestion provided people actually do test things out.

Well if we do go down that route I will definitely try some funky moves. Anybody else?

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

I'm happy to whip up a team and see how good it does. I already have a general idea of what I want to try, but my inexperience to battling will probably stop me from doing too well. xD

Ok so lets all make new alts and try to ladder with teams. I'll start on mine now (Will consider ideas that we have discussed).

Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll make a team, but I'm not sure how succesful it will be. alt will be GengarEatBanana as always.
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar

So, the team I'm experimenting with right now is Abomasnow, Mamoswine, Alakazam, Landorus, Jellicent, Heatran. I can post the specific sets if anyone wants, but there have been quite a few problems I've had. Empoleon has been a bit of a problem, even with Alakazam running Focus Blast, because it's just too frail to switch in a lot of the time. I've had problems with Rain teams as well, especially the Politoed that I can't do much against. I've had the Politoed switch in to my Jellicent numerous times and forcing me out because it ran Toxic and I didn't, and then weather wars ensue, which I usually lose due to not having a way to take down Politoed. Genesect is also a massive problem. Nearly every Genesect I've seen so far has been a Scarfed U-Turn set, and I just don't have really any way to counter it. My strategy against it is basically switch in either Jellicent or Landorus, and try and predict the switch in. But yea, I don't confess to be a great battler, and some of these problems are probably my own fault. Just posting some problems I've had for you guys to look out for. :)

Currently running a team of mixed Aboma, Life Orb Mienshao, Weather Ball Scarf Raikou, Specs Tornadus-T, Jellicent and Snow Cloak Mamoswine. I am playing on a newly created alt of TashGarden and currently laddering with 12 wins and 1 loss (http://www.pxly.org/rJ). I think I will struggle to get much past 1400 because the challenge is quite limiting (I am yet to implement a wildcard) I'll go through some of my current sets but the team is in its very infant stages.

My team is not specifically about anything sweeping but is generally focused around grinding down my opponent with my offensive core of Raikou, Mienshao and Tornadus-T to leave an easy route to victory for one of my very fast teammates.

Abomasnow (F) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SAtk / 144 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Wood Hammer
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Everybody doing this challenge should be running this in one form or another. The set is not fully focused around hail as you can see with no Blizzard however it does use it to provide a form of grinding away at opponents. There is no Blizzard because it is useless really and supports me in no way. I went for Earthquake to instead take down Jirachi (2HKO) and Heatran (1HKO). The speed evs let me outrun 8 speed Heatran and the offensive investment allows me to 1HKO Tyranitar (Hen hen), Scizor (If I predict a U-Turn) and to deal crazy damage to other stuff.

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch
    - Weather Ball
    - Aura Sphere

MVP of the team so far. Raikou in my opinion is absolutely amazing at running scarf because of its superior bulk and being neutral to Stealth Rock makes it far better than Thunderus-T in my team. Weather ball is really the defining move on this set. I can use to when Hail is up to act as a sound revenge killer to every dragon type in the tear or use it to terrorize sun teams with a more powerful alternative to HP fire. The main reason for him is that he completely annihilates the common Genesect and Dugtrio core in the early game as well as destroying other U-turn cores such as Rotom-W Scizor and Landorus Rotom-W.

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Nothing new here but just an incredible abuser of hail with the regenerator ability. He is a great lure for many pphysically defensive walls such as Gliscor and Hippowdon allowing me free switches to Tornadus to spam one of those super powerful Hurricanes.

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast
    - Tailwind
    - U-turn

Hurricane isn't too accurate but it still decimates Rain teams and with regenerator to save my butt it really isn't too risky. My main method at grinding away bulky offense teams.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Taunt

If stall come out and I look like I'm struggling I just sit back on this guy and grind away at them until I get a break for some offense to come out. Considering changing to Tentacreul for some spin support and still having a resistance to those powerful stab fighting types. Lack of recovery is concerning though as Tentacreul isn't so great against stall.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    - Stealth Rock
    - Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

Thick fat isn't needed on this guy because I have resistances in my team else wear. I find Snow Cloak very useful because it allows you to win games you would otherwise have no hope of winning. Mamoswine hits really hard genuinely and provides some rocks which is cool too.

I have to play extremely well to take down any Rotom-W sets right now and it is something definately considered as the greatest threat to my team right now. A good stall team running Rotom-W would require me to get some lucky rolls with Abomasnow.

P.S I need a theme for the nicknames of my team. Thinking Ugly Betty characters because my team is fabulous and fashionable in those sexy winter coats.

Blog Entries

Currently running a team of mixed Aboma, Life Orb Mienshao, Weather Ball Scarf Raikou, Specs Tornadus-T, Jellicent and Snow Cloak Mamoswine. I am playing on a newly created alt of TashGarden and currently laddering with 12 wins and 1 loss (http://www.pxly.org/rJ). I think I will struggle to get much past 1400 because the challenge is quite limiting (I am yet to implement a wildcard) I'll go through some of my current sets but the team is in its very infant stages.

My team is not specifically about anything sweeping but is generally focused around grinding down my opponent with my offensive core of Raikou, Mienshao and Tornadus-T to leave an easy route to victory for one of my very fast teammates.

Abomasnow (F) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 Atk / 112 SAtk / 144 Spd
    Lonely Nature (+Atk, -Def)
    - Wood Hammer
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake
    - Hidden Power [Fire]

Everybody doing this challenge should be running this in one form or another. The set is not fully focused around hail as you can see with no Blizzard however it does use it to provide a form of grinding away at opponents. There is no Blizzard because it is useless really and supports me in no way. I went for Earthquake to instead take down Jirachi (2HKO) and Heatran (1HKO). The speed evs let me outrun 8 speed Heatran and the offensive investment allows me to 1HKO Tyranitar (Hen hen), Scizor (If I predict a U-Turn) and to deal crazy damage to other stuff.

Raikou @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Pressure
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Volt Switch
    - Weather Ball
    - Aura Sphere

MVP of the team so far. Raikou in my opinion is absolutely amazing at running scarf because of its superior bulk and being neutral to Stealth Rock makes it far better than Thunderus-T in my team. Weather ball is really the defining move on this set. I can use to when Hail is up to act as a sound revenge killer to every dragon type in the tear or use it to terrorize sun teams with a more powerful alternative to HP fire. The main reason for him is that he completely annihilates the common Genesect and Dugtrio core in the early game as well as destroying other U-turn cores such as Rotom-W Scizor and Landorus Rotom-W.

Mienshao (M) @ Life Orb
    - Fake Out
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Nothing new here but just an incredible abuser of hail with the regenerator ability. He is a great lure for many pphysically defensive walls such as Gliscor and Hippowdon allowing me free switches to Tornadus to spam one of those super powerful Hurricanes.

Tornadus (Tornadus-T) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hurricane
    - Focus Blast
    - Tailwind
    - U-turn

Hurricane isn't too accurate but it still decimates Rain teams and with regenerator to save my butt it really isn't too risky. My main method at grinding away bulky offense teams.

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Cursed Body
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Taunt

If stall come out and I look like I'm struggling I just sit back on this guy and grind away at them until I get a break for some offense to come out. Considering changing to Tentacreul for some spin support and still having a resistance to those powerful stab fighting types. Lack of recovery is concerning though as Tentacreul isn't so great against stall.

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Snow Cloak
    - Stealth Rock
    - Icicle Crash
    - Ice Shard
    - Earthquake

Thick fat isn't needed on this guy because I have resistances in my team else wear. I find Snow Cloak very useful because it allows you to win games you would otherwise have no hope of winning. Mamoswine hits really hard genuinely and provides some rocks which is cool too.

I have to play extremely well to take down any Rotom-W sets right now and it is something definately considered as the greatest threat to my team right now. A good stall team running Rotom-W would require me to get some lucky rolls with Abomasnow.

P.S I need a theme for the nicknames of my team. Thinking Ugly Betty characters because my team is fabulous and fashionable in those sexy winter coats.
    Kyurem can deal with Rotom-W, but it may be using up your wildcard.

Much love to Zurr

@Angad; Kyurem could be an alternative to Tornadus but I think the lack of speed/power would not be too helpful.

Blog Entries

@Angad; Kyurem could be an alternative to Tornadus but I think the lack of speed/power would not be too helpful.
    True, you may want to run normal Tornadus if you are using Tailwind, though. It allows you to always that option.

Much love to Zurr

Tornadus-T is really my only way of dealing with Gengar and Starmie effectively though. I really just flung Tailwin on there and will probably replace it with Sleep Talk to make Breloom less of a problem.

Edit: I've put in another forty games on alts and other servers because I want to improve the team before I continue to ladder. My team definitely has some big gaps despite having no particularly heavy weaknesses. I think it is because the Pokemon included in the challenge only fill niche roles and don't provide large amounts of coverage or team support. That said, I won all forty games which can't be too bad even though my I only really came up against two top class opponents and I was scrambling around like mad to beat them (Relied on Snow Cloak for one of them).

Edit: I love Raikou so much it is incredible and just decimates everything left behind in a trail a voltie frozen death (sometimes I'm nice and I thaw them out but then they switch to Genesect?)
    Last edited by Takaki; 29th September 2012 at 09:09 AM.

Blog Entries

Should Kyurem count as Mustached?

Much love to Zurr

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast