Team Downpour

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wiilio

Thread: Team Downpour

Blog Entries

Visit Wiilio's Youtube Channel

Default Team Downpour

After not being active on here for... a long time... I thought I'd come back in the best way I know how: With a RMT. In all honesty this isn't so much a RATE my team as much as a SHOW OFF my team. This team has never lost on Wi-Fi, and if it's lost on Pokemon Showdown, it has only done so once (battles blend together on there).

This team takes on two cores:
    Offensive core - Rotom-W and Scizor
    Defensive core - Dragonite, Politoed, and Ferrothorn.
    Starmie is added in for reasons that will be explained later.

Without further ado, the team in full!

Rotom-W
    Ability: Levitate
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Hidden Power Ice
    ~ Trick

First half of the offensive core and the VoltTurn combo. Rotom-W has amazing bulk and power, but Speed is a big issue for it. What else should be done besides slapping on a Choice Scarf? Hydro Pump is the move of choice, being a 120 base power move, along with getting a STAB and rain boost (effectively increasing its base power to 120 * 1.5 * 1.5, or 270). Volt Switch hits pretty hard with 70 base power and STAB, but mainly keeps offensive momentum on my side. Hidden Power Ice is for those troublesome Dragons. Trick allows me to cripple walls. I have to be careful with Trick; I hardly ever use it, unless I know the opponent is going to keep their wall in on Rotom.

Scizor
    Ability: Technician
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Pursuit

The main bug on campus since DPPt, Scizor hasn't slowed down since the beginning of its glory days. Early on in the game, U-Turn is the go-to move. It hits insanely hard, and (like Volt Switch) helps keep up offensive momentum. Bullet Punch starts coming out later in the game, picking off Pokemon who have been previously weakened. Superpower helps lay a smack-down on the various Steel-types that resist its other moves, although it really doesn't see too much use. Pursuit is mainly for the likes of Choice-locked Latias and Latios.

Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Relaxed
    IVs: 0 Spe
    EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
    Item: Leftovers
    ~ Power Whip
    ~ Gyro Ball
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Stealth Rock

Moving into the defensive core. I used to despise using this thorn bush, but after the first battle I had with this team it became one of my favorite Pokemon for competitive use. Ferrothorn has amazing bulk along with the ability to lay big hits with its high base powered Power Whips and Gyro Balls. Leech Seed is obviously for added recovery and residual damage; Iron Barbs and Leech Seed damage really add up. Stealth Rock is pretty self-explanatory.

I find that I am so successful with Ferrothorn because of my playstyle with it. While many people prefer to use its defensive moves over its offensive, I do the exact opposite. Many times I will switch Ferrothorn in on the opponent's frail sweeper, take a hit from it (or they set-up, thinking I'll just use Stealth Rock or Leech Seed), and throw a Gyro Ball in their face. This is insanely powerful, and has netted me very many KOs and near-KOs.

Dragonite
    Ability: Multiscale
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 220 SpD / 16 Spe
    ~ Hurricane
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Roost

Ah, how can you not love Dragonite? Of the fully evolved Dragon-types, it must be the cutest. It was always a decent Pokemon, but with the advent of Multiscale, Dragonite has become a force to be reckoned with. It is INSANELY difficult to take Dragonite down. Hurricane and Thunder both have their accuracy perfected by rain, and hit very hard thanks to having 120 base power each. The main strategy here is to bring Dragonite in on something that can't do much to it, Substitute on the switch, and carry on with the appropriate move from there. Thanks to Roost, Multiscale can be re-activated, and it just really makes Dragonite a very resilient Pokemon. It takes hits very, very well.

Politoed
    Ability: Drizzle
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    ~ Scald
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Protect
    ~ Perish Song

The obligatory rain-bringer, but Politoed is no slouch. Scald is there to get burns on anything that needs to have its Attack nerfed. If poison is preferred for those pesky walls or bulky Waters, Toxic is there for that. Protect helps me scout and get one more turn of residual damage. Perish Song is for sweepers who think they can set up on Politoed. It's also a fun way to end a battle when the opponent is down to their final Pokemon!

That's right, I save Politoed as much as possible. Many people dump off their weather user, thinking it is useless. Not this guy, oh no. Politoed is a quite the bulky little fella (or lady, since mine happens to be female).

Starmie
    Ability: Natural Cure
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Surf
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Recover

Finally, we're out of the cores. This was the last member to be added. After taking a look at the rest of the team, Starmie was really my only consideration for the last slot. It can outspeed Terrakion and Landorus, hitting them with a rain-boosted Surf, absorb any status thanks to Natural Cure, Rapid Spin away hazards, and just be a real headache. That max HP investment really gives it a hand; Starmie becomes less about laying quick, strong hits and more about being a pain. Surf manages to be a good move despite minimal SpA investment, although it comes up short once in awhile which makes me consider Hydro Pump. Thunder is around for stronger coverage, but mainly for that 30% chance of paralysis (since it's not hitting mega-hard like on an offensive set). Opponents don't expect for your typical Starmie to be able to take a hit, giving me an advantage.

So that's about it! Leave comments and all that.

Good to be back.
    Last edited by Wiilio; 29th December 2012 at 02:29 PM.

Default Re: Team Downpour

I like the looks of this. My Rain Team is nearly Identical and after having it rated it has done quite well online as well. I like the comment about not letting your Politoed Die out. I keep mine alive as long as possible since you see alot of weather teams out there. Even up against other Rain Teams I still do because I have found some that use Sunny Day and switch the weather because they bring in some pokemon that can benefit from it. Looks like a great team :D

Blog Entries

Welcome back, man.

The team looks remarkably solid and I'd like to face it.

Anything you have to maneuver around in particular?

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

Thank you! Looks like you guys are running a tight ship around here. I'm liking it.

Honestly I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Other weather teams give me a bit of a pain, but running bulky Politoed instead of scarf/specs helps there since it helps it stay around longer. Thankfully when BW2 came out it didn't throw anything at me that couldn't be handled one way or another. This team has defeated teams with Black Kyurem, so yeah... the team itself is very solid, and I don't think I could make it any better. It just comes down to how I play with it. If I play badly, I lose (against a good player). If I play well, I win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wiilio View Post
    Thank you! Looks like you guys are running a tight ship around here. I'm liking it.

Honestly I can't think of anything off the top of my head. Other weather teams give me a bit of a pain, but running bulky Politoed instead of scarf/specs helps there since it helps it stay around longer. Thankfully when BW2 came out it didn't throw anything at me that couldn't be handled one way or another. This team has defeated teams with Black Kyurem, so yeah... the team itself is very solid, and I don't think I could make it any better. It just comes down to how I play with it. If I play badly, I lose (against a good player). If I play well, I win.
    It does usually get to that point with a good team. Have you faced a Sub/Hone Claw/ D Tail / Roost Variant yet? It can set up off Rotom, although Ferrothorn and Scizor could abuse it. Who can't you afford to lose in a match?

Much love to Zurr

Blog Entries

I haven't. But like you said, Ferrothorn and Scizor can take that on no problem. For any OU team, it's important to have at least two Steel-types. Three also works.

If I lose Rotom-W or Scizor, the offensive core is ruined. If I lose Dragonite, Politoed, or Ferrothorn, the defensive core is ruined. So losing any of those two early on is a big issue. Offensive core obviously has top priority to keep around the longest. Defensive core, while important, just needs to be around for early- and mid-game. However, if I lose any of those, the rest of the team can usually fill in somehow. Again, it just comes down to playing smart.
    EdricTheSpy likes this.

You could not say it better my friend I would also like to play this team!

Blog Entries

Well you guys can come into #bulbabattle and we can work something out. I'll probably be on for a good part of tomorrow.

I actually need to talk to you about starting a tournament Angad. Since #bulbabattle is supposed to be BMG's battle channel, I figured we needed to get a tournament started and host it there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wiilio View Post
    Well you guys can come into #bulbabattle and we can work something out. I'll probably be on for a good part of tomorrow.

I actually need to talk to you about starting a tournament Angad. Since #bulbabattle is supposed to be BMG's battle channel, I figured we needed to get a tournament started and host it there.
    Just PM me when we are post on, and I'll meet you there.

Much love to Zurr