Sun Team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Team

I choose.... WarGreyMon Professor Jacel's Avatar

Default Sun Team

I want some feedback on my Sun Team. Here it is so Comments would be helpful.

Ninetales- Drought @ Air Baloon
    Spc Attack and HP. Modest
    Heatwave, Toxic, Hiddenpower(Earth), Energy Ball
    Ninetales is my Sunny Day starter. I throw him out to start things up and he is a heavy hitter on special attack. He works well in Singles or Doubles. Heat Wave proves usefull in Doubles and Singles so I kept it. I usually switch him out if there is something threatening on the other side but if Not I will keep him in till I need to switch him out.

Cherrim- Flower Gift @ Focus Sash
    Spc Attack and HP modest
    Petal Dance, Morning Sun, Helping Hand, Sunny Day
    Cherrim is my back up Sunny Dayer as well as setting up Flower gift( 50% to attack and Spec Def Party Pokemon). He is only limited to petal dance but I have seen him do decent and save me in a couple spots. Helpinghand helps out in Doubles Battles with Ninetales Heatwave mostly. Morning Sun is to keep him in If I need to.

Tangrowth- Chlorophyl @ Leftovers
    Attack and Defense, Adamant
    Power Whip, Knock Off, Swords Dance, Ingrain
    I love Tangrowth He is a great attacker and great in Defense and Chlorophyl Helps with his speed. I have seen other movesets but I like this one although I am open to suggestions. Knock Off is there to get rid of items that are helpful to the Enemy. Ingrain for Hp and Swords Dance if I can set it up to make him an ever heavier hitter

Leafeon- Leaf Guard @ Life Orb
    Attack and Defense, Adamant
    Swords Dance, Leafblade, Synthesis, Sunny Day
    Another Sunny Dayer also a great hitter although he is just limited to Leafblade he is great especially with the Leafguard protecting him from status Inflicting moves.

Gallade- Steadfast @ Lifeorb
    Attack and Spec Defense, Adamant
    Fire Punch, Zen Headbutt, Swords Dance, Leaf Blade
    Great for takin Special attacks especially water in the Sun. A quick switch to him and then Leafblade usually helps. Fire Punch is great for him to in the Sun.

Jellicent- Water Absorb @ Leftovers
    Spc Attack and Spec Defense, Calm
    Toxic, Protect, Scald, Recover
    A great staller on the team. That is really all he is used for except for Scald to inflict burns on steel and take out rocks and grounds with scald when the sun is not up.

Any Feedback wil help thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Sun Team

You should specify where your spare 4 (6 if you want to get technicial) EVs are invested. They do count for things like switching into SR 4 times.

In my opinion your team is fairly vunerable to Heatran, who only takes a supereffective hit from Ninetales and Jellicent, which isn't including that he may either be using a Balloon or taking a Scald in the sun for reduced damage.

Another problem in my opinion is that you're trying to make a team that will work in both singles and doubles, and to do so, I think you're hurting your chances to do well in both metagames. If you can I would make two distinct teams, one singles and one doubles. I'll use Cherrim and Tangrowth as examples here. In singles, your Cherrim is slightly deadweight as Flower Gift isn't providing anything to its teammates and Helping Hand is useless in singles, which already puts you at a disadvantage compared to your opponent. With Tangrowth I don't think you can afford to set up Ingrain in doubles as it may be taking two hits in one turn and the recovery rate just isn't fast enough.

With Drought and two Sunny Day users (I would consider using just the one backup Sunny Day user) I think you can afford to put Solarbeam over Energy Ball on Ninetales.

It's tragedy on a bun. Poke Prophet's Avatar

Like Iteru said. You should really focus on whether it's a singles team or doubles team because this does make a major difference. Having moves that only aid you in doubles will only hinder you in singles, just like having moves that work well one on one would be useless taking on two opponents.

You only really need the one back-up sunny day, just as long as you keep ninetales alive for the majority of the battle you should be good even if there is the weather war, just take out the opponent's weather user if at all possible and even if ninetales does go down you only need to set up the sun once and their weather is usually done for.

If you are going for a singles team cherrim can be replaced for a good heatran check. I haven't really taken on too many heatrans so I'm not too sure what can counter it. I'd say something that knows earthquake as long as the heatran doesn't have an air-balloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    You should specify where your spare 4 (6 if you want to get technicial) EVs are invested. They do count for things like switching into SR 4 times.

In my opinion your team is fairly vunerable to Heatran, who only takes a supereffective hit from Ninetales and Jellicent, which isn't including that he may either be using a Balloon or taking a Scald in the sun for reduced damage.

Another problem in my opinion is that you're trying to make a team that will work in both singles and doubles, and to do so, I think you're hurting your chances to do well in both metagames. If you can I would make two distinct teams, one singles and one doubles. I'll use Cherrim and Tangrowth as examples here. In singles, your Cherrim is slightly deadweight as Flower Gift isn't providing anything to its teammates and Helping Hand is useless in singles, which already puts you at a disadvantage compared to your opponent. With Tangrowth I don't think you can afford to set up Ingrain in doubles as it may be taking two hits in one turn and the recovery rate just isn't fast enough.

With Drought and two Sunny Day users (I would consider using just the one backup Sunny Day user) I think you can afford to put Solarbeam over Energy Ball on Ninetales.
    Ok So what is a Good Heatran Counter?? I have never encountered one. I see what your saying though. Back to the Drawing board Thanks For your Input. Thank you as well Pokeprophet.

I think you'd be better prepared to battle heatrans (plus it would be better for your team in general) if you replaced gallade's leaf blade for close combat. You've already got plenty of grass moves between leafeon and tangrowth (cherrim if you decide on doubles) and it's never a bad idea to have an additional stab move for a pokemon.

I am thinking about getting rid of Gallade for Rhyperior with Super Power? Maybe this is an option But I will consider that.
    Also Machamp could switch in for either of them To with His Close Combat.

I need to switch out Jellicent but Not for sure what I want to switch it with.

Sun Team- Singles
    Nine Tales- Drought
    Spec Attack, Speed, 4 Defense Air Baloon
    Flamethrower, Solarbeam, Toxic, Confuse Ray

Tangrowth- Chlorophyl
    Attack, Defense, 4 Speed Leftovers
    Power Whip, Swords Dance, Rock Slide, Brick Break

Exeggutor- Chlorophyl
    Spc Attack, Speed, 4 hp
    Giga Drain, Psychic, Sunny Day, Light Screen

Leafeon- Leaf Guard
    Attack Defense, 4 Spec Defense
    Swords Dance, Leafblade, Aerial Ace, Synthesis

Machamp- Guts
    Attack, Hp, 4 Speed
    Bulk Up, Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, Close Combat

Rhyperior- Solid Rock
    Attack, Defense, HP 4
    Thunderpunch, Outrage, Superpower, Aqua Tail.

What About this Singles Sun Team?
    Last edited by Professor Jacel; 1st May 2012 at 11:48 AM.

Rhyperior would be a good replacement, but now I don't see very much of a counter to regular fire types that will benefit from your Sun. Rhyperior has aqua tail, but since it is in the sun and not stabbed I don't think it would handle well. Giving him a rock move would prove more effective on him in the sun. Rock blast if you'd like to take out subs and hit the opponent or better yet Rock Wrecker.

Hmm I think I will go wtith the Rock Blast, Rock Wrecker has that recharge stage and I do not want to risk them switching into something that will take him out while he is recharging. Thanks for the Input I cannot wait to test this team out now.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Replace Machamp with Infernape. Use a Rock Polish or choice banded Rhyperior. Remove Outrage and Aqua Tail and put in some STAB moves like Stone edge or Eq, instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    Replace Machamp with Infernape. Use a Rock Polish or choice banded Rhyperior. Remove Outrage and Aqua Tail and put in some STAB moves like Stone edge or Eq, instead.
    Allrighty. What Kind of Infernape Set up should I do?

Allrighty I will get rid of Aqua Tail and Outrage and put in some stab moves.
    Last edited by Professor Jacel; 2nd May 2012 at 07:23 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jacel View Post

Choice banded one with Iron fist and MAch Punch.
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

? Can I get Chimchar from the DW????? I have never seen him on any lists so I did not think he was released hn there Yet?

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

? Can I get Chimchar from the DW????? I have never seen him on any lists so I did not think he was released hn there Yet?
    No, you cant, because it isn't. Gen 1,3&4 male DW starters were released, but only in Japan.

Infernape is a good idea, though. Mine looks like this:
    Naive, EVs: Atk & Spd, holding Focus Sash
    Fake Out, Close Combat, U Turn, Overheat
    In a singles team, he's nigh unkillable, and able to take out nearly anything, or run from anything he can't with U-Turn. Plus, using Overheat won't drop any stats you'd care about, and even after the first use it'd still be viable because of the sun.

Too bad about the DW starter thing, or else you could use a Solar Powered Charizard and nuke everything.

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

Blog Entries

@Jacel;

Now listen. There is no point creating a new team just before a game(bw2) is about to be released. There will be some big changes when the games get released and you will have to recreate your team. So, do yourself a favor and download the Pokemon you require from Pokecheck. Even if you don't use the downloaded Pokemon for some reason, you can use them to breed the Pokemon you want though it defeats the purpose. It is easier. Don't waste time over something like this.

? What is Poke Chck
    @Lord Clowncrete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast