Summer Skirmish Team

Thread: Summer Skirmish Team

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Summer Skirmish Team

Recently, we had a Summer Skirmish competition, but unfortunately, I lost my Quarter Finals. This means I get to showcase one of the teams I made for this tournament, because that's what I wanted to do if I lost the tournament. This team is the reason I defeated every one of my opponents in the elimination round with four opponents, but I lost to my opponent in the Quarter Finals, which is definitely not a good sign. The interesting thing about the team I built here is that no two Pokemon held the same item (hence, it would fit well with Item Clause), which makes it special to an extent because I never did that before. Here's my team:

Rotom-C @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Trick

This is the first Pokemon that I wanted to add to my new team the moment this tournaments started. Rotom-C's job is to basically scout for switches and being generally a pain to any Water-type out there, and generally be a pain to any Water-type thinking they could switch. I am intrigued by the power of Leaf Storm boosted by Choice Specs, but my true purpose of making this team is that I am a bit worried about Rain, so Rotom-C's there to help me out. However, I just felt that Choice Specs is a bit difficult to use since Rotom-C's not exactly a fast Pokemon. You see, one of the problems that I anticipated and experienced is indeed those Rain teams, since I can't out-speed Tornadus, which is already problematic. In essence, Rotom-C may give rain teams trouble, but it can't stop rain, which is the problem.

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Shard
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

Mamoswine is a Dragon-buster, and the other Pokemon that I wanted in my team for this tournament. What it does is to make any Dragon or Ground/Flying-types worry because of its powerful Ice Shard. It's no surprise it is in my team, since Mamoswine is just so good at its job. When I battled one of the participants, it occurred to me that it outsped bulky Volcarona, something I didn't expect. The moves are self-explanatory, due to the coverage they carry.

Jellicent (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Taunt

Jellicent is essentially my wall-breaker. With Taunt, it successfully stalled a couple of my opponent's Pokemon. Its typing makes it easy to switch to certain threats, which is also nice. I opted for the Physical spread because Jellicent needs the Physical walling ability more, and with Burn, it will be hard to take down. if I managed to keep status away, that would be ideal. The Speed EVs are basically to get past any uninvested Base 65s, though I was outsped by Scizor once, so maybe I didn't invest enough Speed.

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Stealth Rock

One thing surprising about Heatran is how it has gender, unlike most other legendary Pokemon. Anyway, Heatran is another one of those Pokemon that is very essential that I included in the team. However, while I usually made it a defensive one, I chose the offensive type because I needed to fit in something that carries Stealth Rock, so that's why I opted for Heatran. The moves are once again basic: Fire Blast for STAB, Earth Power because it's great against other Fire-types and Rock-types, and Hidden Power Ice for Dragons. Unfortunately, it is Dugtrio bait once the balloon's down.

Infernape (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Close Combat
    - Flare Blitz
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Infernape's my revenge killer. I opted for a Physical spread because I felt that I have already got enough Special attackers, so Infernape is designated as a Physical attacker. I chose this set because I am a bit afraid of Terrakion, and a Scarf ensures that I am able to out-speed it. Infernape's also basically my Volcarona killer, since that's another Pokemon I am wary of, if Mamoswine didn't manage to finish it off.

Sigilyph (F) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Cosmic Power
    - Stored Power
    - Roost
    - Psycho Shift

This is basically my ace of the team. Sigilyph is a really useful Pokemon because once it sets up Cosmic Power, it will be unstoppable unless there's a critical hit, which hopefully doesn't happen at the wrong time. Anyway, the other reason for choosing Sigilyph is the resistances. I really need the huge Fighting resistance, as well as that Ground immunity. Moreover, spreading the burns is very useful to aid Sigilyph's survivability while I set up Cosmic Power. It could surprising be weak, since Sigilyph's Special Attack is uninvested.

Well, to be honest, I am a bit depressed that I am not able to continue this tournament, but I wish all the participants good luck. It probably isn't a big deal actually, because I would not be able to win the prize, since I don't have a DS. I would say this team had a good run, even though it probably is flawed, like basically any other team. Critiques are quite welcomed, too.

Before I end this, here are a few replays of this team in action. I only showed the battles between opponents that are eliminated, since they probably won't be able to battle again. The ones that are still in the tourney will not have their battles shown, because others deserve to discover their team on their own, and I don't want to reveal my opponent's team. Here they are:

1) Viewing Pokemon replay: SharKing-vs-winstein--2012-08-13
    2) Viewing Pokemon replay: Gotpika-vs-winstein--2012-08-13
    3) Viewing Pokemon replay: winstein-vs-Poke-Prophet--2012-08-14

Thanks for reading.

Importable:
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Default Re: Summer Skirmish Team

I think I'll give you a rate on this because I like the use of Sigilyph.

Firstly I really think rotom-C is unnecessary here. Grass and Electric is a really poor defensive typing and even though you have incredibly power full Leaf Storms, I don't exactly see what they hit especially when you can just Volt Switch out. Therefore I recommend a much more reliable check to the common rain team: Rotom-W.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 SAtk / 132 Spd
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Pain Split

This set still hits very hard and can deal with rain extremely effectively. It can take both boosted Hydro Pumps and Hurricanes with ease and then proceed to abuse Rotom-W's high defenses and low HP to Pain Split the switch in. Will-OWisp can be used to catch things like Ferrothorn on the switch but I really don't think your team requires that and therefore you could stick in a coverage move here.

Secondly, I recommend running running Shed Shell on Heatran rather than Air Balloon because other wise you get completely trashed by a Genesect and Dugtrio core. You don't need the ability to beat Gliscor, Dragonite and opposing Heatran because Mamoswine and Infernape cane both do this effectively.

Finally, running the following set on Sigilyph allows you to outspeed a few threats so that you can Roost before they use a move such as Thunderbolt or Ice Beam as to not take super effective damage. I changed the distribution of evs to mostly specially defensive because Psycho Shift gives you a reasonable method of defending physical threats anyway.

Sigilyph (M) @ Flame Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 140 SDef / 56 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Psycho Shift
    - Cosmic Power
    - Roost
    - Stored Power @winstein;
    Last edited by Takaki; 27th September 2012 at 11:07 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    I think I'll give you a rate on this because I like the use of Sigilyph.

Firstly I really think rotom-C is unnecessary here. Grass and Electric is a really poor defensive typing and even though you have incredibly power full Leaf Storms, I don't exactly see what they hit especially when you can just Volt Switch out. Therefore I recommend a much more reliable check to the common rain team: Rotom-W.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 SAtk / 132 Spd
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Pain Split

This set still hits very hard and can deal with rain extremely effectively. It can take both boosted Hydro Pumps and Hurricanes with ease and then proceed to abuse Rotom-W's high defenses and low HP to Pain Split the switch in. Will-OWisp can be used to catch things like Ferrothorn on the switch but I really don't think your team requires that and therefore you could stick in a coverage move here.

Secondly, I recommend running running Shed Shell on Heatran rather than Air Balloon because other wise you get completely trashed by a Genesect and Dugtrio core. You don't need the ability to beat Gliscor, Dragonite and opposing Heatran because Mamoswine and Infernape cane both do this effectively.

Finally, running the following set on Sigilyph allows you to outspeed a few threats so that you can Roost before they use a move such as Thunderbolt or Ice Beam as to not take super effective damage. I changed the distribution of evs to mostly specially defensive because Psycho Shift gives you a reasonable method of defending physical threats anyway.
    Thanks for the Sigilyph tip, because sometimes I find myself wishing that Sigilyph survives on the Special side well enough. However, to tell you the truth, I am a bit hesitant to replace Rotom-C, since my team is conceptualised thanks to Rotom-C. I suppose something must be done to make the team more effective. Will test this sometime.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

@winstein ; Interesting choice in Pokemon. What Pokemon have given you trouble with the team when you have used it?

Although Rotom-C makkes your team more unique, it really adds nothing and if anything it gives you further weaknesses.

Blog Entries

Well, as I said, Rotom-C was the reason this team existed in the first place. Anyway, about Rotom-C, I kind of like it over the other forms, and hope that I would make a team that capitalises on making Rotom-C a benefit to the team. Other changes I made were to make Jellicent faster (to outspeed Skarmory) and make another of Heatran's move Roar (to replace HP Ice).

I tested the team with your changes, and they are quite good. I once had a stall war between a Sandstorm team, and it was intense because I basically had Jellicent and Sigilyph left to fend off the lethal duo of Skarmory and Celebi. Skarmory is easier to stall because I set Jellicent's Speed to make Skarmory Taunt bait. Basically,

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Interesting choice in Pokemon. What Pokemon have given you trouble with the team when you have used it?
    To be honest, I don't remember. But I do know that the main ones that gave me trouble is Rain.

Thanks for reading.

Blog Entries

You could consider replacing Jellicent with Gastrodon to better handle rain teams. And the option of simply slapping Sunny Day on something is always there too if you can convince your opponent to let their Politoed to die early game, which a lot do when they see that you have no weather starters of your own.

Agreeing with the above. Specs Gastrodon could be really great to take out rain because it also detonates bombs onto sand storm teams as well.

Blog Entries

Well, I like the Gastrodon suggestion. I never thought of that! About the Sunny Day thing, that's a very good idea. I suppose Heatran could have this move.

Thanks for reading.