This Suit Does Not Protect Against Gravity [OU RMT]

Thread: This Suit Does Not Protect Against Gravity [OU RMT]

Photo ALL of the Pokemon TPJerematic's Avatar
    Follow TPJerematic On Twitter

Default This Suit Does Not Protect Against Gravity [OU RMT]

This team is my first proper foray into Gen V competetive battling. I'm still getting to up to speed with all of the new pokemon, items and abilities so this team will probably look very Gen IV like in construction.

About the team: I love the idea of using strategies that are, for lack of a better word "gimmicy". And Gravity is one such strategy.

The Designated Lead

SR-71 (Deoxys-S) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 160 HP / 112 Atk / 236 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Gravity
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Superpower

A pretty standard Deoxys-S Lead, Focus Sash allows for atleast two turns of set up (One if the opponent leads with T-Tar, Hippo, or Obama and attacks or has a fake out lead) First turn is for Gravity, then the rest follows in suit, SR Spikes.

Superpower is the Smoggy suggestion (I see why, it's to smack T-Tar upside it's head but the two i've come across so far killed deoxys on the first turn anyway after i got gravity up ... so yeah). I'm tempted to replace with Psycho Boost and Timid nature just to try and score KO's on anything else...

The Down to Earth AI, with a side order of pain

GLaDOS (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Gravity
    - Recover
    - Blizzard
    - Zap Cannon

A personal favourite pokemon and ability make an apperance on this team. Eviolite takes Porygon2 from the Jack of all Trades to the Tank that just doesn't die until you throw everything you've got at it.

The Ev spread is designed in order to favour the spec def but give the physical enough durability, HP is maxed for obvious reasons.

Using Zap Cannon over Thunder is a case of Accuracy being traded off for Effect. Zap Cannon is 82% accurate in Grav and when it hits it is an instant paralyze. There is also more power.

Porygon2 is manly used for resetting gravity many many times in battle, the lack of leftovers does hurt though. And if i'm against a player who knows what gravity means i feel that the defence might not be enough ... but i don't know any of the numbers that would give a better ev spread.

Late Game Gravity AI

Deep Blue (Metagross) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 44 HP / 252 SAtk / 212 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Gravity
    - Earthquake
    - Agility
    - Meteor Mash

This set is taken directly from Smoggy's Gen V Gravity guide and I can see why it was up there, this thing is a beast. All of it's normal counters are rendered weak by gravity, Zapdos, Bronzong, Skarmory, Air Balloon Heatran, Rotom-A, Excadrill. And All die to earthquakes.

The Victory Mascot, Special Attacker

SqueakyVoice (Victini) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Victory Star
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Inferno
    - Focus Blast
    - Thunder
    - Hidden Power [Ground]

This things sole purpose is to rip anything it can to pieces. Inferno becomes 90% accurate in grav with Victory Star and 100% burn rates are awesome.

Spin Blocking Meat Ghost Shield

Ancient Gear (Golurk) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Shadow Punch
    - Hammer Arm

A sort of balance for Metagross and Porygon, Golurk doesn't fear EQ or Fighting, and is the spin blocker.

I went with this over a Sub punch as switching is vital for a Grav team and having a sub makes me reluctant to switch, espically with no wishpasser on the team.

Ground Resist Hedgehog

Shaymin @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hardy Nature
    - Seed Flare
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power [Fire]/[Ice]
    - Rest

A bit of a weak link but vital with regards to Victini and Metagross, a ground resist is necessesary. Why Shaymin over Celebi or Virizon... Seed Flare. It's 100% accurate in Grav and 40% SpD dropping.

I'm currently running HP Fire to deal with Ferrothorn and Co. but Ice may be a requirement for dealing with Gliscor and Landlos.

It also hates Excadrill as it always carries X-Scissor, so another reason for no Celebi.

Note: The team lacks a rapid spinner, and Shaymin is the only candidate for removal for a RS'er ... but i don't know what to use instead.

So thanks for reading, I hope that i can get some useful advice for this team as i would love to build it on Pokemon White at some time in the future.

Blog Entries

Default Re: This Suit Does Not Protect Against Gravity [OU RMT]

Couldn't you use Starmie as a spinner, and you could make it a gravity abuser/setter.

Much love to Zurr

Photo ALL of the Pokemon TPJerematic's Avatar
    Follow TPJerematic On Twitter

Default Re: This Suit Does Not Protect Against Gravity [OU RMT]

Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    Couldn't you use Starmie as a spinner, and you could make it a gravity abuser/setter.
    That's a good idea, forgot about the starfish .... hmmmm, if i was to use starmie i would replace Dexoys and use him as a lead....