Stars of Generation V - Page 3
Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 441

Thread: Stars of Generation V

  1. #31
    Banana eating Gengar GengarEatBanana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    CN.M.V.A
    Posts
    1,748
    Blog Entries
    66

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    ^^Scrafty isn't part Dragon type. He may have Dragon Dance, but he's a Dark/Fighting type Pokemon.

    Also Mold Breaker always is better than Rivalry. Rivalry is good against the same gender, but messes you up against the opposite gender. Not really worth it.

    For me Zoroak isn't really star-worthy, however in Dream World Sableye has been running loose everywhere (I know, I use him).
    White FC: 2237-0577-3400
    Bulbagarden PO Server!
    P.World | N.World

  2. #32
    now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by League View Post
    Conkeldurr, Whimsicott, Scrafty, Zoroark, and Chandelure are stars. Well, I'm not too sure about Chandelure yet. Anyway, Conkeldurr's doozy Mach Punch and Drain Punch are, well, doozies. Whimsicott has that mischievous little ability. Scrafty has fantastic offensive and defensive typing for a dragon, a great defensive ability, augmented stats, and is, as mentioned, a dragon. Zoroark's abilty will always have potential, and Zoroark has a sweeper's build to boot.

    Chandelure has great typing this gen, it seems. The only pokemon mentioned in this thread earlier that can give him alot of trouble is Excadrill.

    Haxorus will be a star eventually, I think. Rivalry can act as a Choice Band in addition to it or in absence of it, whereas Mold Breaker allows Earthquake to strike through Levitate pokemon.

    And I think I wrapped up the rest of Gen. V's immediate stars. I think Darmanitan is a bit short of starpower, but he's pretty useable.
    Conkeldurr, OK.

    Whimsicott is screwed over by magic bounce completely. Also, hitting it on the switch in and not letting set up is a good idea. It may wreck stall, but it stinks against offense. Not really a star.

    Scrafty and defense? What? Yeah, its a good DDer but that doesnt mean its part dragon. Its good though, just watch out for the influx of fighting types you see everywhere, bounce gyarados, and and stuff with super power (like Dnite).

    Zoroak, having used him, is over rated. Hes UU for a reason. That doesnt make him a star. Team preview screws him over, and once he takes damage you can tell what he is compared to the other last pokemon.

    Chendulure doesnt check excadrill. It is dominated by excadrill, who outspeeds and KOs without boost using Earthquake. If it uses a balloon, use Rock slide. The KO isnt garunteed but at +2 it is, which means its not a counter. Limited move pool, ghost typing, and bad defenses hold it down. I prefer Heatran.

    Haxorus has 3 moves it can use, and is easily stopped. Base 99 speed means its outsped by base 100s and above. Outrage is excadrill set up bait. Brick break is set up bait for ghosts (and egyptian bird thing), and EQ is stopped by Flyers and balloon pokemon. Without a choice item its outsped and KO'd. Its not good at all, and wont be since Dnite, Mence, Garchomp, and even sazandora are better. And dont say they will be banned. The only one even close is Chomp, thanks to Sand Veil.

    Darmantincan is kind of a star, since its CB Flare Blitz hits like a truck WITHOUT the sun. Its a scuicide bomber though, kinda like volt tackle pikachu but stronger.

    I dont get the lack of mention of Voltos and virizion. Both wreck havoc, one versus rain the other versus Sandstorm.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

    Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

  3. #33

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by coolking503 View Post
    Darmantincan is kind of a star, since its CB Flare Blitz hits like a truck WITHOUT the sun. Its a scuicide bomber though, kinda like volt tackle pikachu but stronger.

    I dont get the lack of mention of Voltos and virizion. Both wreck havoc, one versus rain the other versus Sandstorm.
    Darmanitan is actually kind of a pain. Even resisted + Intimidate + Defensive Gyarados takes a chunk of damage. Sheesh.

    Virizion doesn't usually give me too much trouble, I suppose that's because it has weak offensive stats to start with. I can see how it is good against SS though.

    Voltos is a nice candidate for Uber to me. What a pain in the neck. I suppose without Rain teams everywhere, he would be *slightly* less ridiculous, but the coverage, the speed, the attacking stats...ugh.

    Let's be honest about the real stars of the metagame though, it's Rain and Sandstorm. Sucks to be you if you don't run either.
    Last edited by Troggy; 16th May 2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

  4. #34
    now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    India
    Posts
    1,124
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    The thing is, nothing on sandstorm can really stop virizion, especially after 1 or 2 CMs/SDs. HP ice/Giga Drain/ Focus blast deals with the whole typical SS team, and you need to not only outspeed it but also KO it, which stuff like excadrill cant do.

    Similarly, Voltos rips aprt everything on a rain team. Politoed? Thunder. Vaporeon or Jellicent... set up bait. Nattorei? Focus blast. Cloyster? I doubt ice shard KOs, and that special defense stat isnt taking any hits.

    the last real anti metagame pokemon is azumaril, which KO's Blaziken (now uber), excadrill, landlos, Gliscor, Ttar, and alot of other weakened threats. If it has Uturn it would be just as good as Scizor, but with a better attacking type.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

    Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by coolking503 View Post
    Similarly, Voltos rips aprt everything on a rain team. Politoed? Thunder. Vaporeon or Jellicent... set up bait. Nattorei? Focus blast. Cloyster? I doubt ice shard KOs, and that special defense stat isnt taking any hits.
    That's cute and everything, but the main problem is that Voltos is ON rain teams ;p
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

  6. #36
    The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Not Sure
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by Angad View Post
    I doubt it because Dusclops outclasses Dusknoir using Eviolite.

    I'm afraid i wholeheartedly disagree. I run a dusknoir, will-o-wisp, ice punch, fire punch and shadow sneak, and it counters some of the most powerful sweepers, salamence, scizor, latias, excadrill, gyarados, garchomp, reunicules even ferrothorn. with the right investment in attack and defence evs, none of the above can KO a dusknoir with one attack, and are either KO'd by a 4X weakness punch, crippled by will-o-wisp or slowely taken down with shadow sneak. Dusclops can only burn then in the same was as dusknoir, the drop in attack is just not acceptable for use in the current metagame and it can't even use leftovers.
    Evolite dusclops is, and always will be, a pokemon for skilled players to simply set up on with no trouble.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimiinthesky View Post
    I'm afraid i wholeheartedly disagree. I run a dusknoir, will-o-wisp, ice punch, fire punch and shadow sneak, and it counters some of the most powerful sweepers, salamence, scizor, latias, excadrill, gyarados, garchomp, reunicules even ferrothorn. with the right investment in attack and defence evs, none of the above can KO a dusknoir with one attack, and are either KO'd by a 4X weakness punch, crippled by will-o-wisp or slowely taken down with shadow sneak. Dusclops can only burn then in the same was as dusknoir, the drop in attack is just not acceptable for use in the current metagame and it can't even use leftovers.
    Evolite dusclops is, and always will be, a pokemon for skilled players to simply set up on with no trouble.
    Dusclops does lose leftovers, but unless you are running an Adamant Dusknoir, or a lot of Attack EVs, I think Dusclops still makes sense overall.

    Dusclops @ Eviolite with an Adamant nature and 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def gives stats of 284/262/446/140/445/86 factoring in the item boost.

    Dusknoir @ Leftovers with Impish nature and 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD gives stats of 294/236/405/149/307/126.

    I would agree with you that if you need an attack higher than 262 to counter certain physical attackers, then Dusknoir may still have a niche. However, you will be giving up a lot of bulk (stat-wise) in doing that.

    Oh, and I know most Dusclops are not Adamant with max attack, I was just trying to fit the comparison to the set you mentioned above.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

  8. #38
    The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Not Sure
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    You are right about the ability to gain higher attack while keeping defence, but I run impish dusknoir with 252 evs and enough defence and hp evs to withstand a salamence outrage, i did originally try dusclops, maxing his attack, however even a 4X weakness of a base 70 attack power will not get many KO's.
    I think perhaps it is simply my battle style, walls that are there just to stop attackers without KOing them are just not my style, every pokemon on my team attacks with a base stat of 100 or more, it keeps walls and stallers like whisicott at bay.

    On a seperate note, one of my favourate pokemon from genV who is incredibly underused is terrakion, as a scarf user. monsterous 129 base attack with stab close combat and stone edge, a speed stat that with a scarf means he will out speed all non scarf users minus ninjask and deoxys-s, typing and movepool does slightly let him down and he could seriously use u-turn, but with prediction he can be a monster.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Yeah, I see your point. Probably the only situation Dusknoir isn't outclassed is trying to get Elemental Punch OHKOs. Dusclops does ~70-80% to offensive Garchomp with Ice Punch, I suppose Dusknoir can OHKO. The one main problem with Dusknoir with that much attack is that boosted sweepers can break your defenses much easier.

    I don't think Terrakion is underused, that thing can be a real hassle. I see it pretty often, at least on the simulator.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

  10. #40

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    There are quite a few rising stars in Gen V, and I'll try and group them into categories here:


    Ferrothorn - The best new pokemon in the game, hands down. This thing is on par with the ubers and checks so many different pokemon.

    Then we have some new extremely dangerous sweepers:

    The ridiculous attacking stats given to these guys should make it fairly obvious why they get used a lot.

    And then, to everyone's surprise, it turns out that fire types are actually good this time around!


    Special mention goes to:

    For coming out of nowhere as the best sweeper to possibly ever exist. It's not new but is definitely one of, if not THE star of Gen V

  11. #41
    The Lark Ascending. Jimiinthesky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Not Sure
    Location
    Bath
    Posts
    1,207
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    The star of Gen V? the thing's ubers now, and just speed boost does not make it epic, it's contending with things like mewtwo, arceus, palkia, pokemon with attacking or special attacking stats of over 150 while still having defensive stats of 90+.

    If it was OU then yes, it would be a star, but as it's in ubers tier, it gets defeated easily by pokemon such as kyogre, rayquaza, palkia, groudon, mewtwo, lugia, in fact almost all ubers, because it does not have the power to KO any of them, and even though it is getting some use now, it is simply because of the excitment of speed boost, it will not be a star of the ubers metagame.


    However, i agree about Ferrothorn, i hate the thing and personally have no problems against it, however it seems to single handedly changed the metagame from the rampaging speed and attack freaks of Gen IV to a much bulkier and stall filled metagame.

  12. #42
    I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sharpedo Bluff
    Posts
    3,737
    Blog Entries
    333
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    This thread is titled "Stars of Generation V"; as in, the generation in general, not just one tier. In that respect, Blaziken is this generation's star. There's also the fact that it has more than just Speed Boost. It has an awesome Attack stat, Swords Dance to raise said awesome Attack stat, a ridiculously powerful Hi Jump Kick, and so much more. I think it'll do fine up there; after a Swords Dance, it should take out things like Mewtwo with one Shadow Claw.

    And if you ask me, Ferrothorn stands as this generation's contrarian. Sublime, myself, and many others thought stall was effectively dead because of the big power creep. We were all dead wrong.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

    If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

    I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

  13. #43

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by SharKing View Post
    And if you ask me, Ferrothorn stands as this generation's contrarian. Sublime, myself, and many others thought stall was effectively dead because of the big power creep. We were all dead wrong.
    I was particularly pleased about Ferrothorn because it is a great Starmie counter that isn't a pink blob.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

  14. #44
    Prayers to Oak Creek Angad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,239
    Blog Entries
    58

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Quote Originally Posted by Troggy View Post
    Let's be honest about the real stars of the metagame though, it's Rain and Sandstorm. Sucks to be you if you don't run either.
    Truest statement ever involving pokemon.

    Much love to Zurr

  15. #45
    Based Mod Dan's Avatar Social Media EditorModerator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Bangor? I hardly know her!
    Posts
    6,323
    Blog Entries
    893

    Default Re: Stars of Generation V

    Let's be honest about the real stars of the metagame though, it's Rain and Sandstorm. Sucks to be you if you don't run either.
    couldn't agree with this more. It's brutal when out of 10 battles, 6 of them run either Rain Dance or Sandstorm.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •